State Fair foods 2014

SilentBob50023

CAGiversary!
Feedback
463 (100%)
Checking all the posts in the CAG fast food/restaurant foodies thread, I know there have to be some connoisseurs of the annual decadence known as the State Fair.

Our own Iowa State Fair has a storied history with food excess, and it looks to continue with the offerings this year.

If you grow tired of standard fare like corndogs and funnel cakes, or you've moved past deep-fried Snickers or deep-fried Twinkies, there are some offerings coming later this year that sound intriguing.

Last year brought chocolate bacon dippers (thick strips of applewood or maplewood smoked bacon with a chocolate dipping sauce).  This year we've got brisket/bacon mac-n-cheese to look forward to, the brownie blitz, tater dogs on a stick, chocolate-covered bacon nougat on a stick, chicken-fried bacon, and various other treats.   There's some healthy crap I didn't feel like posting.

My only wish is for somebody to come up with a way to quickly make bacon-wrapped onion rings because they take too long on the grill.

What are some of your favorites?  Or something you wish they'd serve?

Fried beer is the big new fried thing this year at our state fair.

I think last year or the year before they had a friend stick of butter.

Fried beer, huh?  How do you pull something like that off?  Color me intrigued.

As for deep-fried butter on a stick, I like fried foods just fine, but I don't know if I can risk the 5% coronary artery blockage to sample that one!

I've heard of fried coke too.  My best guess is like they do fried ice cream?  They freeze the beer, then batter and fry it?

I wonder how many heart attacks they had at the fair the year of the fried butter.

I've heard of fried coke too. My best guess is like they do fried ice cream? They freeze the beer, then batter and fry it?

I wonder how many heart attacks they had at the fair the year of the fried butter.
They way I had it once at a brewery was that they put a beer/syrup mixture inside mini pretzel dough pockets then deep fried the dough. It was kind of like mini beer-pretzel empanadas which is a weird way to describe it I guess but it was pretty good.

The LA County Fair doesn't have fried butter. At least, not for the past three years. Newest thing I saw last year was a Krispy Kreme burger.

I like the taste and texture of Krispy Kreme glazed donuts, but eating one is like chewing aluminum foil for me - they actually make my mouth hurt with their sweetness.

bread's done
Back