Legend of Korra S2 Blu-ray $19.99, Standard 11.99 at Best Buy

ThusSpokeZarathustra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hope this isn't old, but I was browsing the website and saw that Korra S2 Blu-ray is on sale for $20. It's normally priced $25 there and $32.xx on amazon. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

THESE ARE PRE-ORDERS. They release on July 1st. Don't know how long this sale is good for.

DVD version on sale for $11.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/legend-of-korra-book-two-spirits-2-disc-dvd/6159117.p?id=3185792&skuId=6159117&st=korra&lp=3&cp=1

Blu-ray version on sale for $19.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/legend-of-korra-book-two-spirits-2-disc-blu-ray-disc/6159126.p?id=3185780&skuId=6159126&st=korra&lp=2&cp=1

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Season 2, even with all the giant sprit monster stuff.

17.99$ with my movers coupon, not bad ! i need season 1 as well and im still holding out hope for an avatar last airbender blu ray set lol
You do realize that a A:TLA Blu-ray set would be marginally better than the DVDs, right? Just make your own cover, put it and the DVDs in a Blu-ray box, and you pretty much have what the Blu-ray set would have.

IIRC, these prices are from Best Buy's weekly ad, so hopefully Amazon will match them. I'd rather buy the Blu-ray set from there to save on tax.

I reserved a copy at Suncoast/FYE of the Blu for 14.99 with a $5 deposit. The cashier said that the shelf price would be 16.99 on day of release. When the first season came out, they had Season 1 for only 9.99 on Blu.

I pre-ordered S2 BR way back in January on Amazon for about $24.99; do you guys think their preorder guarantee will match Best Buy's?

Like, if BB has it on preorder for $19.99, will I get $5 tacked back onto my credit card from Amazon? lol

Too bad season two was largely terrible. I still can't justify $20 on such disappointing television.
Can you elaborate on why it was so bad without spoiling anything?

I didn't watch any episodes of S2 because I knew I was going to get the blu-ray and binge whenever it came out. I did hear that the first half of the season (pre-Avatar Wan) was pretty bad - like Korra was really bratty or something. Heard it got better though, post-Wan.

KL probably hates it because it's so very different from the rest of the avatar series' seasons in spirit, and the ending is a bit of a bizarre cop-out.  I still enjoyed it thoroughly.

Season 2 deals almost entirely with the Spiritual side of the Avatar. While there are standard bending fights, there's a lot more spritiual stuff at work.

Also, for most of the season the Koraang are not together, instead split apart doing their own plotlines, so the season has about 4 or 5 running plots going on at the same time.

As for the ending, it does feel cop-out-ish, but it does have precedent in the Avatar universe.

I reserved a copy at Suncoast/FYE of the Blu for 14.99 with a $5 deposit. The cashier said that the shelf price would be 16.99 on day of release. When the first season came out, they had Season 1 for only 9.99 on Blu.
Yeah I picked up Season 1 at FYE for that price, and they weren't lacking in copies. If Season 2 is getting a similar discount (it's cheaper if you preorder?), this would be the best deal around here.

Can you elaborate on why it was so bad without spoiling anything?

I didn't watch any episodes of S2 because I knew I was going to get the blu-ray and binge whenever it came out. I did hear that the first half of the season (pre-Avatar Wan) was pretty bad - like Korra was really bratty or something. Heard it got better though, post-Wan.
Post-Wan is an improvement, yes, but not enough of one to save the season. The whole plot arc seems like desperate filler - like they didn't really know where to take the story next, and it's not particularly well-written or paced. They also didn't know what to do with the secondary characters, so they gave them some completely unrelated things to do, which ultimately doesn't go anywhere particularly interesting. As you mentioned, season two also managed to undo pretty much any character development Korra got in the first season, and they really did find a way to make her thoroughly unlikeable, which has yet to be corrected.

It's not all bad, though. There are some fun moments, the animation is mostly lovely, the fight scenes are still great. It's just far, FAR below the standard set by the original Avatar series, and most of season one of Korra. People were very disappointed while it was airing last year.

season two also managed to undo pretty much any character development Korra got in the first season, and they really did find a way to make her thoroughly unlikeable, which has yet to be corrected.
That was my biggest problem with S2. Still an enjoyable season though, especially with the story of Wan.

I'll never understand the love this series gets.  It's ok at best, but it's utter crap compared to the Legend of Aang.  

Last edited:
the last airbender was the best animated show made over the last decade + imo so it was impossible for korra to match it. that being said korra is better than many shows out there atm dispite its faults

I really enjoyed the second season, and will be acquiring a copy of the Blu-Ray as soon as I get off work today. Probably Best-Buy, if the shelf price is what this thread is quoting.

While I'm willing to concede that the first season was better, I thought they did a lot of neat things with the second season. Breaking up the core group allowed them to pursue each characters' individual development in different ways. And they did a good job of giving all of the characters something meaningful and personal to struggle with. I though Korra's arc in particular made a lot of sense for her as a character.

I won't go into any further details for those who will be seeing it for the first time when they pick up the season set.

I really enjoyed the second season, and will be acquiring a copy of the Blu-Ray as soon as I get off work today. Probably Best-Buy, if the shelf price is what this thread is quoting.

While I'm willing to concede that the first season was better, I thought they did a lot of neat things with the second season. Breaking up the core group allowed them to pursue each characters' individual development in different ways. And they did a good job of giving all of the characters something meaningful and personal to struggle with. I though Korra's arc in particular made a lot of sense for her as a character.

I won't go into any further details for those who will be seeing it for the first time when they pick up the season set.
Haven't picked it up yet (so haven't started binging yet lol) but I DID watch the first two episodes of Book 2 over the weekend, just to get a sense of what the season is like. And Korra is a B-R-A-T.

Does she get better as the season progresses?

Yes, she does. It takes a while though. Mainly because her hotheaded and trusting nature get turned against her (plus, with the others doing their own thing, nobody's around to advise her).

Her stubborness and recklessness are emphasized this season partially because this season deals largely with the Spirit World, of which she has barely any knowledge of (unlike Aang, who was a spiritual person from birth).

Yes, she does. It takes a while though. Mainly because her hotheaded and trusting nature get turned against her (plus, with the others doing their own thing, nobody's around to advise her).

Her stubborness and recklessness are emphasized this season partially because this season deals largely with the Spirit World, of which she has barely any knowledge of (unlike Aang, who was a spiritual person from birth).
But after the season is over, she remains terribly unlikable. She's never allowed a moment where she really redeems herself to the audience - she's just eternally awful.

Was in FYE today to buy the only copy of season 1 i've seen in town ($12.99 price helped matters) with intent to go and get season 2 from Best Buy or Walmart. On a random bit of laziness I look for season 2 in FYE to see if the price is decent to save a drive and found it on sale for $9.99.

So I got both seasons for around $25 total after tax.

I finish my binge on the first series I can go right into this one (and erase my pirated episodes)

Was in FYE today to buy the only copy of season 1 i've seen in town ($12.99 price helped matters) with intent to go and get season 2 from Best Buy or Walmart. On a random bit of laziness I look for season 2 in FYE to see if the price is decent to save a drive and found it on sale for $9.99.

So I got both seasons for around $25 total after tax.

I finish my binge on the first series I can go right into this one (and erase my pirated episodes)
It was $9.99 for the DVD version, I presume?

Sale is dead. Price up to $15 DVD, $25 BR.

Got my BR copy from Kmart for about $13 shipped by using $11 in SYWR points. I haven't bought from them in years, so those points were just from visiting the website and clicking the weekly ad ^^

I was surprised by the commentary portion of all the episodes, though. It was a major letdown, reading that the voice cast won't be on Book 2's commentary, but after listening to Brike and various people like the sound team and directors and writers, I think I like Book 2's commentary more than Book 1, where it had mostly the voice actors.

Most of the time, the voice cast in season 1 would just go "ooh, I love the animation here," whereas the actual crew in Book 2 would go "Here is the thought process behind how we decided to make this scene," which is more thought provoking, lol.

bread's done
Back