Photo
* * * * * 9 votes

Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Warlock 2 $14.99 | Rise of the Triad $2.99 | Mount & Blade Warband $4.99 | Goat Simulator $5.99 |

• Please log in to reply
2419 replies to this topic

#2401 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:12 AM

:puke:

If money is tight you need to think carefully about what you want your machines to be able to do and what you need them to be able to do, and if you're a student that isn't in a field requiring specialized software, a chromebook is probably all you really need to get by, even if it isn't a particularly sexy solution. 

#2402 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:14 AM

Build a computer for ~$800 and buy a chromebook to use in class/on the go (or tablet/laptop hybrid like an Asus T100).

That's what I would do, if I were you. You can buy a tablet/laptop hybrid for cheap and build a separate computer for gaming for cheap as well. Otherwise, you're carrying around 8 lbs of laptop that will be more expensive to upgrade or replace in the long run. And with a desktop, you get to choose your mouse or mechanical keyboard, even ones with dedicated buttons of Razer-branded MMO ilk. I'd especially go the desktop and tablet + detachable keyboard route if you're studying graphic design or computer programming.

Portability is a relative non-issue for gamers on a college campus, unless you want your machine stolen, which was often the case at the colleges I've attended. Desktops incur much less theft. ;)

#2403 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:15 AM

The biggest thing with a laptop for even moderate gaming is just if you can at all help it (and unfortunately most laptops have them) try to avoid Intel HD Graphics. Unless it's a dual setup like Nvidia Optimus, but most times it's not.

mdUFwSE.png

#2404 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:15 AM

A desktop.

I would've recommended a rocket-ship for GTA5 PC, given Rockstar's (often poor) PC port history (on their release day). ;)

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#2405 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:17 AM

One Finger Death Punch is awesome! That is all.

It's way better than I expected it to be. For such a simple game, it's really well done and addicting. The developer was pretty cool too in the little bit I interacted with him.

mdUFwSE.png

#2406 snakeybro

snakeybro

Xbro 4 lyfe dawg

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:21 AM

It's way better than I expected it to be. For such a simple game, it's really well done and addicting. The developer was pretty cool too in the little bit I interacted with him.

How many devs have u "interacted" with?

Currently Playing:   :ps4: EA UFC, Transformers: Rise of Dark Spark. Sniper Elite 3, Blue Estate, Valiant Hearts, Towerfall, Guacamelee! STE, Resogun

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8, Shovel Knight, Splinter Cell: Blacklist   :xb1: EA UFC,Titanfall, Guacamelee! STE, Sixty Second Shooter Prime

solidSNAKE231989.png

20140611-40611011-4gamer-003-1-thumb.jpg

#2407 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:22 AM

The biggest thing with a laptop for even moderate gaming is just if you can at all help it (and unfortunately most laptops have them) try to avoid Intel HD Graphics. Unless it's a dual setup like Nvidia Optimus, but most times it's not.

There are a lot more laptops now with dedicated cards. I bought one last year for about $550 with an AMD card and it's been surprisingly capable at playing most everything I've tried on it. If you were to throw a few hundred more dollars in I'm sure you could get something far better too (though I support the idea of getting a desktop and a cheap netbook/laptop/tablet for portability concerns).
Let me tell you two useful pieces of information...

#2408 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:23 AM

How many devs have not promptly sent out keys for greenlit games?

#2409 Red_Lizard2

Red_Lizard2

Posted Today, 01:25 AM

Agree there are some at least decent options around under $1000 but I haven't looked in a couple years either. Got mine off Newegg for about $900. It won't play everything great but it does the job and been pretty solid outside a ASUS build issue. Was probably on sale at the time, but don't remember.

(I could post specs, but I hate posting specs because A) not good with specs and B) it sounds like showing off (even with something that isn't worth showing off at all)). 

I would've recommended a rocket-ship for GTA5 PC, given Rockstar's (often poor) PC port history (on their release day).  ;)

Or after release day (GTA IV is still the poorest running game I've played since getting this laptop, L.A. Noire at least ran okay though)

Edited by Red_Lizard2, Today, 01:28 AM.

#2410 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:29 AM

That's what I would do, if I were you. You can buy a tablet/laptop hybrid for cheap and build a separate computer for gaming for cheap as well. Otherwise, you're carrying around 8 lbs of laptop that will be more expensive to upgrade or replace in the long run. And with a desktop, you get to choose your mouse or mechanical keyboard, even ones with dedicated buttons of Razer-branded MMO ilk. I'd especially go the desktop and tablet + detachable keyboard route if you're studying graphic design or computer programming.

Portability is a relative non-issue for gamers on a college campus, unless you want your machine stolen, which was often the case at the colleges I've attended. Desktops incur much less theft. ;)

Nah, I set my buddy up with a lower end Sager for around $1200, and that was him insisting on the one with backlit keyboard, bluray drive, and other bells and whistles I passed on (he could have spent $900-1000 without his choices). Solid video card, Optimus for multi-purpose use and higher battery life, good system, and really light with the 15.6" screen. As long as you aren't going balls out with a 17.3" monster like I have, gaming laptops are light and portable in a messenger bag or whatever (Sager even gives a nice one for free with whatever you buy, last I checked).

Even mine is portable enough for me, I've even traveled with it (personal item carry on) and it's not a big deal. It is heavy though, but I think most of us manly men can carry an 8-10lb laptop around in a bag. C'mon now.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#2411 motoki

motoki

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:31 AM

How many devs have not promptly sent out keys for greenlit games?

Why do you guys care so much? I do post on forums too apparently, since some people have been commenting on me posting on other forums lately.

He seemed like a nice guy. Polite and all that. That's all.

mdUFwSE.png

#2412 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:31 AM

Or after release day (GTA IV is still the poorest running game I've played since getting this laptop, L.A. Noire at least ran okay though)

Usually, it takes a bunch of official patches + much newer hardware out there to get Rockstar's PC ports running decent on some worthwhile graphicals setting...maybe. ;)

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#2413 sweeetja713

sweeetja713

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:33 AM

You must be living under a rock if you don't know about Angry Birds.

Ah, now I understand. No I thought Angry Badgers was some game I missed out on not that I was being told the badgers were a birds clone. I'm still demanding a badgers toads clone though.

Edit: with personalized moves, Chub Chub better have some belly flops and I wanna see gramps pull out a walker beatdown at some point
Wondering why I did such a long quote, didn't quote at all, or my post is riddled with typos? 90% of the time I'm on a mobile device and editing and formatting are too time consuming.

Come check out my tradelist. It's full of geeky goodness that's not limited to video games. Includes pen and paper rpgs and more. http://www.cheapassg...13#entry2276219

Do you have a Fire Emblem Sacred Stones GBA box if so please pm me. I want it.

#2414 pasports31

pasports31

New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:46 AM

Why do you guys care so much? I do post on forums too apparently, since some people have been commenting on me posting on other forums lately.

He seemed like a nice guy. Polite and all that. That's all.

Not the type of "interaction" I was thinking...

photo-thumb-323588.jpg?_r=1403228855

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#2415 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:48 AM

When I was in college back in 't3h d4rk ages' you'd rarely see anyone using a laptop in school.  Even today I doubt you need anything more than the most basic of setups.

#2416 Waggles

Waggles

What the funk n waggle are you talkin' bout?

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 01:51 AM

When I was in college back in 't3h d4rk ages' you'd rarely see anyone using a laptop in school.  Even today I doubt you need anything more than the most basic of setups.

In my case, it's more to get away from a jackass roommate, or just for a change of scenery. I never use a laptop in class, mostly because the fan would be louder than  the professor.

#2417 Red_Lizard2

Red_Lizard2

Posted Today, 01:56 AM

When I was taking in person classes (well ones that aren't like 5 people), I think maybe one or two people had laptops usually. Community college was about the same, though there it seemed about 5 people actually took notes so not the best example in the first place.

#2418 MinDRioT

MinDRioT

I haff nein lifes

• CAG in Training

Posted Today, 02:00 AM

One Finger Death Punch is awesome! That is all.

Yes...yes it is.

#2419 pasports31

pasports31

New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 02:21 AM

When I was in college back in 't3h derp ages' you'd rarely see anyone using a laptop in school.  Even today I doubt you need anything more than the most basic of setups.

ftfy because i had to

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#2420 tyfreak

tyfreak

What are you thinking bout ****** ******!

• CAG in Training

Posted Today, 02:31 AM

When I was taking in person classes (well ones that aren't like 5 people), I think maybe one or two people had laptops usually. Community college was about the same, though there it seemed about 5 people actually took notes so not the best example in the first place.

now a day  i see alot of people bringing laptops 10-15 in class alot  me i only bring i have fucking break if i didnt i dont bring laptop cause  i dont like to