Weird DVD Playback Errors on PS3 and Sony Brand Blu-Ray Players

Marbles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This is going to sound weird.. but has anyone else experienced a weird phenomenon where a Blu-Ray player doesn't play back certain DVDs correctly?

I've asked this in a few places, but not many understand what I am talking about.

For Instance,
3 Different PS3 Models (Original, Slim, Super Slim) all cannot play back the Gi Joe Animated movie. On the Original and Slim.. it cannot load up the DVD Title, while on the Super Slim, it crashes back to the dash board when you hit play.

There is a similar glitch on Batman Beyond season 3 Disk 2, where during the Curse of the Kobra two part series. During the first part, the movie will freeze. On the Fat and Slim consoles the dvd will crash to dashboard, on the Super Slim the DVD will jump half way into the next episode.

The DVDs work fine in a PS2, and a 360 DVD player and a Samsung Blu-Ray player.

YuYu Hakusho Season 4 on the other hand, the later 2 disks won't work in a Sony Blu-ray player. They just repeat the intro to the first episode over and over, as if it cannot get to the next tracks. While every other player in the house the dvds work fine.

I've even checked the disks, and they are all in perfect condition, not even a finger print.

So what causes this phenomenon?

All the firmware is up to date on all my consoles and systems, but these errors crop up on assorted DVDs and 1 Blu-Ray (it skips a track)

If need be, I'll even record this.

By all means go ahead. You should probably tell Sony, since they keep updating the firmware to god knows when, though I appreciate the last one where you can watch Closed Captioning on DVDs like Windows Media Player did YEARS ago.

I'm looking for a new DVD player now, but so far I'm stuck choosing a Samsung model from Amazon unless I go the eBay route.

It can be determined by imperfections in the ODD, but also in the disk itself. For comparison, I had a DVD that had trouble reading in a stock DVD player (real small one I could have on my bookshelf), but a PS2 read it perfectly. And the DVD did have its fair share of marks. I go between disc and digital as of late, and with the PS4, having the means to watch .AVI's and .MP4's is a godsend (I wish that .MKV's were supported since they can offer great quality as an MP4 and consume less space on the HDD; there are utilities that can convert. MKV to .MP4, however).

By all means go ahead. You should probably tell Sony, since they keep updating the firmware to god knows when, though I appreciate the last one where you can watch Closed Captioning on DVDs like Windows Media Player did YEARS ago.

I'm looking for a new DVD player now, but so far I'm stuck choosing a Samsung model from Amazon unless I go the eBay route.
If you can afford it, go for a Blu-Ray player. It's what I recommend. You can get a basic one for maybe $40-60 if it just plays DVD's and Blu's. With the frequency of updates for firmware on Blu-Ray players, though, you may want to consider one that has app support (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc) and internet capability.

For the G.I. Joe movie, a lot of people have been having trouble getting it to read on PS3 systems.  But some have found a fix.  Where if you go into the setting page, select widescreen and then Play, it will fix the problem.

*Edit-  Did some more checking and seems to be the Shout Factory release.  But see if that method fixes the problem.  It could just be that Shout Factory coded it weirdly.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the G.I. Joe movie, a lot of people have been have trouble getting it to read on PS3 systems. Not sure which version it is(the old Rhino release or Shout Factory's release). But some have found a fix. Where if you go into the setting page, select widescreen and then Play, it will fix the problem.
Shout Factory DVD release.

It's weird little problems like these.

I wonder what causes them.

Now why is this tech issue on the Off Topic forms and not in the PS3 section? or for that matter on the manufacturer tech forums?

I have yet to have any issues with any of my blu's on my PS3.  I actually enjoy watching them on it as they are fast to boot on it.

Now why is this tech issue on the Off Topic forms and not in the PS3 section? or for that matter on the manufacturer tech forums?

I have yet to have any issues with any of my blu's on my PS3. I actually enjoy watching them on it as they are fast to boot on it.
Ah, but I said DVDs on the PS3.. which apparently is a common issue with Sony brands.
This is off topic, so I brought it here since I couldn't figure out the best forum.

If you can afford it, go for a Blu-Ray player. It's what I recommend. You can get a basic one for maybe $40-60 if it just plays DVD's and Blu's. With the frequency of updates for firmware on Blu-Ray players, though, you may want to consider one that has app support (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc) and internet capability.
I definitely DO NOT want a internet capable blu-ray player. If you have parents or older acquaintances that don't want to be hassled by menus outside of the ones inside the DVD, a dump and play is always key.

bread's done
Back