Sony PlayStation 24" 3D 1080p 240Hz Widescreen LED Monitor [Manufacturer refurbished] $99.99 - eBay Daily Deal sold by Newegg

It looks like this doesn't come with the game or 3d glasses unless I missed it.

Be careful with this one. The TV does not have standard VESA mounts if you plan on mounting it. It is possible but not easy. It also doesn't get very loud. I had to buy a soundbar for mine since we used it in a kitchen and you couldn't hear over the noise. TV isn't bad but a lot of people have had failed units.

Really think about how you want to use this because it's not for everyone and may add up a lot of expense.

Prone to Failure
Speakers aren't very loud. (Possible Soundbar Purchase)
No Remote. (PS Remote purchase or Universal Remote)
3d glasses if you want 3d
Mount Extensions to fen-angle this if you plan on wall mounting it.

All in all that $99 purchase can really add up. Again, not everyone will need or want these things but it easily adds an extra $30-$150 by the time you are done.

I had one of these and it failed the first month I had it.  Not sure I would try this one again, though it does look good being all Playstation. 

It looks like this doesn't come with the game or 3d glasses unless I missed it.

All in all that $99 purchase can really add up. Again, not everyone will need or want these things but it easily adds an extra $30-$150 by the time you are done.
Doesn't look like the game or 3D glasses are included.

If this is the same discontinued product that went on sale a few years ago from Best Buy for $99 new, then I've also heard some bad things about it. For one, the screen is glossy, meaning that it's hard to see unless you're facing it head-on. And the PC monitor aspect has functionality issues in that the refresh rate is twice the native refresh of many computers and you may need to install drivers to even get it to display properly. Also, since it's discontinued and refurbished, you could be shit outta luck if anything goes wrong.

Ultra HD is already here. Just wait until regular HD drops in price more. Don't waste money on this.

Had 2 failed units, but I think that has something to do with the power supply. I made sure to give it an outlet with no splitter or power strip, and the unit(3rd) has been fine since. That being said, do keep in mind, the 240Hz refresh rate is only available, besides PC, for 3D. There is no MotionFlow option. This is made specifically for gaming, and there are better options.

Good size, and at the time, great bundle. Just wish it got more support, specifically in SimulView. Killzone 3 and Motorstorm: Apocalypse were much better experiences with this ability. I love that idea. And would love to see a resurgence of that. Splitscreen w/out splitscreen.

The only reason I'd want this is the special PSP display mode that forced games to fill the screen. I love my PSP Go's DS3 compatibility, but having to play everything in an extreme letterbox is annoying.

As many of these as I had returned when I worked at Best Buy, and the 2 I had that did fail within the first month of each, I wouldn't worry to much about them.  Good idea with very bad follow through.  Ok speakers when you are close but can't overpower normal household noises.  Good display but half the power is put behind the dualvision and 3D options.

All in all consider this a 24" tv at 1080p with 120Hz refresh.

Edit: because I can't tell the difference in inches and feet for a tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two of these and run both on power strips at all times. I've only had one problem where one of the two HDMI in ports on one of the units will occasionally result in the screen going black for a few seconds at a time. As if the screen lost the signal and tried to turn off before regaining the signal. It sucks, but I just move the HDMI to the other port and it's good to go.

Hell, I might grab another one since my wife started using one as her PC monitor.

So it doesn't include the stand?
It should include the stand. It's bolted to the display and was included as a "some assembly required" part with each unit.

I picked up one from the BestBuy sale last year, and to be honest while it worked, it was great.  It only got 6 months in before it came up with the flashing red light of death like so many others.  Like Whinterfell said, when I returned it they didnt even offer to replace, so I just got the refund.  

Technically 3D on it was pretty good (and the glasses are cheap) but I would consider this a $123.98 price-tag and absolutely take the warranty they are offering.

Could be a nice pairing with a PlaystationTV (no pun intended) for some cheapish remote-play action 

EDIT: I should add I heard rumors that the refurb ones were more reliable due to them having the power supply issues fixed.  I'm not sure I've got the guts to find out though.

I use one daily as a 2nd monitor for my PC and like it a lot. Once in awhile I get the black screen flicker, but other than that, it's great

I got one way back during the best buy sale and have loved it since the first day and haven't had an issue. I am really tempted to pick this up but hearing everyone having issues and the thought of returning it and having to ship it plus it being a refurb, I can't seem to bring myself to do it. If it were new or local again I wouldn't hesitate. 

In for two plus the 1-year warranties

Now I have to craft a yarn to explain to my wife why we now have 4 of these things.  I think slapping a Chromecast onto one and dropping it in our bedroom might help a bit.  Too bad they don't have a USB port to power the Chromecast :(

EDIT: 07092014 - Apparently it DOES have a USB port... a nicely hidden one..

They are fantastic displays, when they work. I've had mine since June '12 and other than a ten second blackout every week or two, it has been a great value.

I've had one for a year and it works great as my primary monitor. 3D is solid, crisp full HD. Speakers leave a lot to be desired. I too get the black power flicker occasionally but no other major problems. Would recommend the warranty on a refurb. 3D glasses are available on Amazon for about 10 bucks. Very worth 99 bucks, which is what I got it for new at BBY on Black Friday last year. 

If any of you have old or spare digital cable box remotes like I did you can use those to control volume and inputs on this TV. I'm using an old ass Comcast remote I found laying in a box with mine, just do a quick google search when you're ready and find the TV's remote connection code. Very easy to do.

I've had this TV since June 2012 and have been using it daily for PC/Consoles without any problems. $99 is a fantastic price. if you actually need another HDTV  and are not obsessed with screen size this is perfect for you. 3D capable glasses can be found for around $20 if you're interested in 3D gaming/movies too.

In for two plus the 1-year warranties

Now I have to craft a yarn to explain to my wife why we now have 4 of these things. I think slapping a Chromecast onto one and dropping it in our bedroom might help a bit. Too bad they don't have a USB port to power the Chromecast :(
The USB port on the back won't power the Chromecast? It charged my 3D glasses just fine as well as powered my headphones. It's got a little cover piece over the port but there's definitely one on it (bottom right if facing the front).

These are discontinued so even with warranty you might have a problem getting replacement parts unless they still have a bunch of refurb sitting in storage.

I see a lot of people saying they bought one and are seeing the black flicker...when I talked to Sony about the issue, the black flicker is a near guarantee that your screen is going to fail sooner than later. GODSPEED.
What I don't understand is why people that have that problem still have them or are still saying they are good TVs. I don't think I would be happy if my monitor or TV blacked out randomly, or flickered at times.

These are discontinued so even with warranty you might have a problem getting replacement parts unless they still have a bunch of refurb sitting in storage.
That was my thought, how will they handle the warranty on a discontinued / refurbished item?

I'm currently using one of these as a computer monitor. Overall, it's okay.

They are prone to failure/problems. Mine had the random screen blackout issue so many mention. It was frustrating, but I knew about it before I purchased mine for $199 and also purchased a 2-year extended warranty. Being a PlayStation product, it also comes with a 1 year warranty from Sony. I had no problem calling them up to get my blackout issue fixed and I've had zero problems with it since then.

I'm tempted by this deal so I could finally have two monitors, but my desk is too small. :c

It being manufacturer refurbished might actually be a good thing, is my take on this.

Tempted to buy 5 of these things... bought mine new at Best Buy 2 years ago for $99... loved it ever since! Use it for my PC/PS4/PS3/Xbox 360 gaming. Would love to replace my other computer's screens with these... One in every room! Hrmmm...

I got one of these back when they were on sale at Best Buy a year and a half ago, and I luckily never really had any problem with it. For a while I had the screen flickering problem when I was using U-Verse on it, but then we found out the problem wasn't the monitor but the HDMI cable. The only other complaint I've had is on the right side of the screen, the frame doesn't like to stay on it and I usually have to push the two into back into place. Looking at other people's complaints though, it seems like a very YMMV type of thing to get a proper working set.

For the most part, I have nothing but good things to say about this monitor. Once in a while the light flashes red and it shuts off then back on for about 2 seconds then is fine.

For awhile I thought my monitor was toast, but found out as someone else above mentioned, the HDMI cable that is included with the display went bad.

Picture quality is so much better than other computer monitors I've seen in store for a similar price range.

Every time these come up we have the same discussion, 75% say its trash while 25% say its the best thing ever. 

My 0.02c, dont touch it with a bargepole. While the one i have is still going strong, These things crap out for the smallest of reasons. They are discontinued items, so good luck getting service on it from sony if you have a problem. As a compute monitor, they are garbage. Web pages flicker, they flicker black every so often. The 3d is okay, and these work well as a gaming TV/watching blu ray (if you get lucky and get a good unit), but thats about it.

If you buy one, just assume that its dead money and you will not be butthurt when it goes bad. You can go to costco or wallmart and buy a bigger Vizio tv for about the same price. You get a better TV (minus the 3d) which will last a lot longer and actually have a warranty. Remember, there is a reason sony dont make these anymore, they are NOT the deal you think they are.

The USB port on the back won't power the Chromecast? It charged my 3D glasses just fine as well as powered my headphones. It's got a little cover piece over the port but there's definitely one on it (bottom right if facing the front).
Oh my god...

I was first going to reply with "There is no USB you loon", because I've been using these displays for years as travel monitors and have never seen one despite routinely handling them at all angles when carrying them around. Instead, I did a bit of searching and, lo and behold, the god damn thing has a friggin USB port! A very well hidden USB port... I'm just boggled at why it's hidden away like that. I actually found a few professional review sites that specifically called out the lack of a USB port in their reviews.

Apparently the manual calls it a "service port" or something, but it can be used to charge the glasses and install firmware updates. I'll have to test it tonight to see if it gives enough juice to power the Chromecast. That'll be pretty rad if it does. Also hoping the Chromecast can fit into the HDMI port without the dongle thing that comes with it so it's not flopping around all the time. I'll find out more when I get home and handle the thing a bit.

Oh my god...

I was first going to reply with "There is no USB you loon", because I've been using these displays for years as travel monitors and have never seen one despite routinely handling them at all angles when carrying them around. Instead, I did a bit of searching and, lo and behold, the god damn thing has a friggin USB port! A very well hidden USB port... I'm just boggled at why it's hidden away like that. I actually found a few professional review sites that specifically called out the lack of a USB port in their reviews.

Apparently the manual calls it a "service port" or something, but it can be used to charge the glasses and install firmware updates. I'll have to test it tonight to see if it gives enough juice to power the Chromecast. That'll be pretty rad if it does. Also hoping the Chromecast can fit into the HDMI port without the dongle thing that comes with it so it's not flopping around all the time. I'll find out more when I get home and handle the thing a bit.
#gamechanger
Chromecast fits right into port 1 and leaves enough room for port 2 to be usable. I'm not going to have internet until Tuesday, but the Chromecast booted up connected to the usb port. Just bought one for my bedroom because of this, will use it for my Chromecast, Roku and PS2.

I guess I don't understand the point of these monitors unless you want to use them as computer screens.  The point of playing console games (to me, at least) is that you can sit on the couch and relax and play them.  Do people hook up a console and sit at a desk with these monitors?  24" is much smaller than the average TV these days.  I would assume most people have 30" or larger TV's already.

I have two of these from sales few years back (two separate time, 300 and 200? something like that). Both soon started showing the going-blank-for-a-second symptom. Sent them for repair and, after that it works fine so far (2-3 years maybe?)

Since it's refurbished, I expect that they fixed the blanking problem (which was universal AFAIK)

As mentioned earlier, no VESA mount if you want to mount this on wall or arm.

Speaker is just okay, not much expected.

Color is great actually. Although, text with blue background had some issue.

3D is pretty much useless since the screen is way too small to have any decent 3D viewing.

Very limited funtion stand. No height adjustment, just very smallangle adjustment.

For 100 bucks, it's okay deal, not stellar.

*edit: I use them for PC monitor (PC, Mac) BTW.

I've only seen a couple people emphasis what I think might be the most important bit about this:  they're refurbished.

Since these *are* notorious for failures and problems we may be able to presume that Sony has corrected some issue/faulty part in the refurbs for these.  That's obviously not a guarantee and I'm still a little iffy on wether or not this comes with any sort of warranty...

Fantastic as a computer monitor, a really good deal for a 1080p monitor... not good for a tv. Get it for your computer and don't worry about it as anything else.

I guess I don't understand the point of these monitors unless you want to use them as computer screens. The point of playing console games (to me, at least) is that you can sit on the couch and relax and play them. Do people hook up a console and sit at a desk with these monitors? 24" is much smaller than the average TV these days. I would assume most people have 30" or larger TV's already.
They're made to be a convenient size for dorms.

I haven't used mine in a while, but as I recall it was a lot better for videos and console gaming than computer use due to a lack of 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. Looked better than my TN monitor but not as good as my IPS monitor. Glossy surface is also too reflective if your room is brighter than the contents of the display.

I haven't used mine in a while, but as I recall it was a lot better for videos and console gaming than computer use due to a lack of 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. Looked better than my TN monitor but not as good as my IPS monitor. Glossy surface is also too reflective if your room is brighter than the contents of the display.
Agree 100% The screen is too glossy and it is prone the red flash death that most people talk about here. I had to return it after near 30days of use and get credit back.

Prefer to spend a bit more on the 24" LCD 1080p TV.. made by Samsung (around $190). Awesome display.. further more can use as TV because of the ATSC tuner.

Sony needs a better monitor product.

#gamechanger
Chromecast fits right into port 1 and leaves enough room for port 2 to be usable. I'm not going to have internet until Tuesday, but the Chromecast booted up connected to the usb port. Just bought one for my bedroom because of this, will use it for my Chromecast, Roku and PS2.
Nice! Now to track down a deal on 1 or 2 more Chromecasts. This will make my wife very pleased.

I guess I don't understand the point of these monitors unless you want to use them as computer screens. The point of playing console games (to me, at least) is that you can sit on the couch and relax and play them. Do people hook up a console and sit at a desk with these monitors? 24" is much smaller than the average TV these days. I would assume most people have 30" or larger TV's already.
I have one on my coffee table and play games on it while the 55" TV is playing something my wife wants to watch. My wife also has one as a computer monitor she uses for her gaming PC and as a second screen for her work laptop while at home. She gets grumpy about moving it around, so getting an additional one will buy some happiness. Also, planning on putting one in our bedroom since she's been wanting a TV in there and I don't want to spend a grand on a huge TV that will barely get used.

Im surprised at the people saying these are excellent computer monitors, all i can say to those people is, you must not have used a good PC monitor before. Ive used 3 of these things, and each one was garbage for PC (even web browsing)

The color sampling is bad, contrast is poor, black to white ratio sucks. TV's simply do not make good computer monitors, this one especially doesnt. These were never designed for that.  They were always cheaply made 3d tvs designed for use on the PS3 to try to sell simulview that died on its ass. To assume your getting a quality product after the massively known failure rates on these things is madness. 

At absolute best, its a passable small TV for gaming/blu ray. Id say conservatively, its 30/70 that you get a lemon. out of 250 ish review on Amazon, almost 100 are below 2 stars due to quality/failure. That should tell you everything you need to know about this TV

I'm thinking if they have a ton of refurbs to get rid of, these must all be the ones that got sent back to be fixed... so they might actually last? From what I understood researching them, it was an issue with the power supply. 

Anyway, I bought one. I'll report back after using it for a bit if this thread is still alive.

I have a desk where I have all my gaming consoles and PC as well as 3 monitors. 2 monitors, 23" each, are for my PC. A 3rd is a 27" monitor that I use for all my gaming consoles. The main reason is because for the price a monitor gives you better resolution, higher contrast, more pixels, faster response time, and smoother motion. If you are only using headsets like most people are either starting to do or are already doing then speakers mean nothing. So you pay for better quality and visuals over extra stuff like a normal TV has.

I use a projector that projects a 144" inch screen. The only downside is I have to go to the doctor every time I have a long gaming session, due to severe eye strain and unbearable migraines.

bread's done
Back