CAGcast #372: Healthy Consumer Demand

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Cheapy and Wombat ditch Shipwreck to talk Destiny, Vita scarcity, Evolve, and erections in film.
Download (1 hour 8 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
http://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-372-healthy-customer-demand/

GoDaddy.com Coupon Codes

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro: CJ Bolland, Sugar is Sweeter - Outro: Saturday Supercade
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Hey thanks for the show and thanks for reading my question last week (finished Watch Dogs main story last week, immediately sold it to Best Buy for 39 on a Gift Card. I never have to see Aiden Pearce's dumb jacket ever again)

Yes, on the financial thread. I got a question about mortgages.

Yes, on the "Demolition Man" quotes.

I think there were fewer comments on last week's CAG cast thread because it's harder to get the show feedback thread.  Prior to E3 there was a link right on the front page to the latest CAG cast thread.  Now the E3 audioboo / photostream has removed that from the front page so people have to go in the forum list to get to the CAG cast thread. 

I'm just getting started listening, but I would definitely be interested in a finance section at CAG.  I'm just getting started buying some stocks and mutual funds and this would be very beneficial.

I think there were fewer comments on last week's CAG cast thread because it's harder to get the show feedback thread. Prior to E3 there was a link right on the front page to the latest CAG cast thread. Now the E3 audioboo / photostream has removed that from the front page so people have to go in the forum list to get to the CAG cast thread.
Came here to post this. I had a tough time figuring out just how to get here. Even the link in the footer navigation for Podcasts is broken.

I think there were fewer comments on last week's CAG cast thread because it's harder to get the show feedback thread. Prior to E3 there was a link right on the front page to the latest CAG cast thread. Now the E3 audioboo / photostream has removed that from the front page so people have to go in the forum list to get to the CAG cast thread.
They really need to bring the front page link back.

How would Cheapy's friend make money off a CAG subforum about financial issues?

I'm surprised you guys didn't mention The Wolf Among Us had it's season finale released in the New Releases section.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/consoles/borderlands-2-limited-edition-playstation-vita-bundle/115863 Vita's coming back in stock by August 8th at Gamestop at least. $18 more for bundled 3 month PS+ at Gamestop.

Vita's are sold out of everywhere because Store's stop ordering them (imho) despite the BL2 bundles selling out quick. Because stores hardly stock the games and they probably only make $10 or less on the systems. They take up store space and the accessories probably aren't selling either.

Either way Yoshida has basically said they are relying on third party support and want to push the Vita for remote play, so my confidence in first party titles is non-existent, but with PS+ there is plenty to be had for cheap.

The good thing for Sony and retailers is the old Vita's are pretty much non-existant. So old stock is pretty much cleared out. Bad for people who want the OLED and will have to rely on eBay for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys realize the website is Cheap Ass Gamer right? Not Cheap Brain Gamer. No one cares about finances here we care about Ass.

Show title should have been "We Don't Know the Rules on Erections"

Raid 2 doesn't just feel long, it IS overly long at 150 minutes. They should have cut out the pointless characters / action featuring none of the main characters. Completely excising Hammer and Bat would have cut about 15 minutes and would have made for a much better film. Though my #1 complaint is that none of the gangsters have guns, there is a story based reason in the Raid 1, but not in the Raid 2. They have them at times when they don't really need to have them, and then at times when they really should have them, they don't and It completely breaks any sense of immersion. Bottomline, the action scenes are more spectacular in the Raid 2, but the Raid 1 is a better film.

I could certainly see how one might interpret the statement "strong interest among gamers" as increased demand. I would say there was a hunger for the vita slim hardware revision as those borderlands 2 bundles all sold out while some stores still have the old style Vitas in stock.

I think a financial forum would be good as long as it doesn't turn into someone trying to sell something.

For the Vita demand headlines, people always need a buzz phrase to explain why something has changed. Look at the headlines on the stock market every day. "Stocks up as consumers start to feel better about the economy." "Stocks down as consumers worry about the economy."

Interesting talk on Q-bert.   I agree that a console controller is far from optimal.  

The game is also difficult to get correct on a 'mame' arcade cabinet.  A normally mounted joystick just didn't have the correct 'feel'.  

Since Q-bert is one of our favorite games, I added a diagonally mounted 4-way joystick to my control panel *just* for Q-bert.   It now plays exactly like the arcade.

Regards

BTW - love the podcast!

A finance section would be legit but I am not sure how well it would work out. Would your friend basically just post random threads and people could ask him questions? I think the hardest thing about making a finance section work is content. It seems like something that the vast majority of people would go to so they could get help/advince but not offer help/advince.

Also all of your PS4 Desitiny talk is really making me want to pick up a ps4...I just bought a Wii U so I will have to settle for Destiny on X1. 

I would like to see a financial section on the forums. We could ask questions about 401ks, indexes, talk about whether stocks are a worthwhile investment, and so on.

I agree that the ghost edition of Destiny is boring. If I want art work from Destiny, then I will wait for Bungie to release an "Art of Destiny" book. Not to be too cynical, but I would imagine we will see these special edtions in stores months after release. Will it be as bad as the Halo 3 cat helmet? Who knows.

Also agree that waiting on buying the expansion passes for Destiny is smart. There is no way to know how good the majority of the content in the game will be at this time. Hopefuly it is not like the fetch quests in the alpha.

Not sure why, but this episode seemed like it was missing something. Like when Cheapy and Wombat were arguing it felt as if there could have been a third person on the show to act like a mediator. ;)

I'd be on the side that Vita stock just ran out because they weren't ordered, except the refurbs also dried up.  And so did the online only stores.  I can believe that Target, Walmart, etc. stopped stocking the Vita and ran out.  Even maybe Gamestop.  But they are out everywhere now. 

I think there is probably a bit of truth to both theories.  Maybe it's a mixture of events.

1. Sony lowered production.
  2. Stores stopped ordering more Vita stock.
  3. Demand did rise.  Maybe just a little rise in demand but add #1 & #2 will make #3 seem larger.
I think a lot of new PS4 owners have picked up Vitas just to see what the remote play is about.  I know I used the $100 I saved by not getting a Xbone/Kinect to get my own Vita.  I wasn't sure I wanted it but found that I love the Vita.  It's possible that a couple others did the same thing.

Not sure why, but this episode seemed like it was missing something. Like when Cheapy and Wombat were arguing it felt as if there could have been a third person on the show to act like a mediator. ;)
What do you mean? I could hear Shipwreck when I listened. Maybe you should re-download the episode? Is the stereo working in your headset?

Definitely bring back the link on the front page, I had to get here from twitter. 

I need help with credit card consolidation, so I am all for a Finance section. 

CheapyD, Did you know that for 'Under The Skin', the men in the movie wasn't really actors. 

Scarlett Johansson actually drove around in a van (with a film crew in the back) and pick total strangers up and seduced them on film. 

I'm not sure if I believe her, but she talks about it in this video.

http://time.com/48090/under-the-skin-scarlett-johannson-undercover/

Also, The Raid is getting an american remake by the director of the Expendables 3. 

I don't think an american remake would work, because the appeal of The Raid was the fight scenes, not the story.

I am surprised none of you talked about the wolf among us. Really enjoyed the entire season and I do not read many comics at all. I am interested to check out the Fables comic line now due to the game that I enjoyed more than The Walking Dead

I am surprised none of you talked about the wolf among us. Really enjoyed the entire season and I do not read many comics at all. I am interested to check out the Fables comic line now due to the game that I enjoyed more than The Walking Dead
The game and comic deserve more coverage than they've gotten. I think Cheapy will enjoy the story of the TV adaptation.

So Fables, the comic book, was popular for a non superhero title and had a lot of critical praise. Enough so that the creator, Bill Willingham, met with the ABC television network. ABC turned around and created the exact same concept at a Disney owned production company, and that's how we have Once Upon a Time. Willingham doesn't think so and believes we're too litigious as a society but I think anyone else would've sued the hell out of them.

CAG #372

1:45 Show Feedback....anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
3:15 Watch This: Under the Skin
6:00 - The Raid 2
8:00 - Property Wars
9:30 New Releases: Another World, Q*bert
11:15 Wombat's unhealthy knowledge of Saturday morning video game cartoons
14:30 Xbox Summer Sale
17:00 Financial help forum on CAG?
19:30 Vita shortage
23:45 Gearbox: Battleborn
26:00 CliffyB's f2p game
27:00 A bajillion editions of Destiny
32:30 Wombat@Wendy's
35:00 Destiny Expansion Pass
38:00 Alien Isolation - Ripley preorder bonus
41:30 Hearthstone - Curse of Naxxaramas
43:00 Cards Against Humanity
45:00 Mighty #9 crowdfunding
46:45 Cagbag: Is Cag the longest running?
47:45 - Mrs Shipwreck?
49:00 - Next gen GTA5
50:30 - Evolve's longevity
59:30 - Time to buy WiiU?
1:02:02 - Media bashing MS?

No ship is great. He brings some weird cuntyness that I cant put my finger on. Being cheap ass gamer he never comments on the cheap aspect of things. He gets every game and system and comments on upgrading his place all the time. We get it man you are doing well and brag it up. Him and wombat argue over some stupid shit because he just wants to argue or play the other end of the discussion. This was a return to the episodes I started listening to in 2009 or around that time. 

Even though Shipwreck is usually the most knowledgable, I like how not-mean-spirited the Wombat/Cheapy duo is. When Ship is on, it feels like every show starts and ends with Shipwreck shitting on Wombat for something that is almost always pointless and unnecessary. Sure, Cheapy and Wombat will give and take a jab or two on classic shows, but it's more playful banter and less insult-y than Ship/Wombat show interactions are. This new episode reminds me that the CAGcast is slowly turning into a weekly toned down version of that E3 episode a few years back that led to "Kazoo" being a safe word. Not saying I won't still listen every week, and not saying the CAGcast isn't my favorite podcast regardless (it sure is); I just wanted to say that it's nice to hear an episode without one host shitting on the other for no good reason.

Hush with the Shipwreck bashing. I liked it when he joined the show. I don't agree with everything he says but he's funny.

Just wanted to add a different perspective on Titanfall...

For whatever reason Titanfall as multiplayer only has been a good value even at $60 MSRP regardless of it lacking a single player campaign.  This comes from someone who tried to get in to the various COD franchises but mostly only played the single player campaign.  The biggest difference for me has been not feeling totally outclassed by people with weapons like the dual-wield shotgun or people who run around like ninjas.  Even though I'm usually not that good at multiplayer FPS' I do fine in Titanfall, even getting the top rank at times, and the challenges with the rank progression is enough to make me at least try new weapons rather than just sticking with one weapon the whole game.  It's definitely not a perfect game but I can't knock it for being multiplayer only and at Generation 4 I've definitely put in enough time to consider it a good value, and I like not being last, even against people who are full Generation 10.  I also like jumping in to one 15 minute or so match and being done.  Good for a married father/gamer.

Even though Shipwreck is usually the most knowledgable, I like how not-mean-spirited the Wombat/Cheapy duo is. When Ship is on, it feels like every show starts and ends with Shipwreck shitting on Wombat for something that is almost always pointless and unnecessary. Sure, Cheapy and Wombat will give and take a jab or two on classic shows, but it's more playful banter and less insult-y than Ship/Wombat show interactions are. This new episode reminds me that the CAGcast is slowly turning into a weekly toned down version of that E3 episode a few years back that led to "Kazoo" being a safe word. Not saying I won't still listen every week, and not saying the CAGcast isn't my favorite podcast regardless (it sure is); I just wanted to say that it's nice to hear an episode without one host shitting on the other for no good reason.
wow I totally notice that too!. The best way I can describe it is Saved by the bell. Cheapyd and Shipwreck act like Zack and Slater and treat wombat like Screech. They love the guy but really never take him serious. Well wombat in a positive note Screech was technically the smartest one he did build a robot after all!

wow I totally notice that too!. The best way I can describe it is Saved by the bell. Cheapyd and Shipwreck act like Zack and Slater and treat wombat like Screech. They love the guy but really never take him serious. Well wombat in a positive note Screech was technically the smartest one he did build a robot after all!
Wait, who's Zack and who's Slater? I just want to get all this straight.

Wait, who's Zack and who's Slater? I just want to get all this straight.
Ship with basketball injury

operation_zack_01.jpg

Cheapy at Tokyo American Club Yoga

slater1.jpg

Chef Wombat teaching Cheapy how to cook

4.03_-_Screech%27s_Spaghetti_Sauce.png

Pre E3 Kazoo

Saved-by-the-Bell.jpg

Post E3 Kazoo Wombat and Cheapy

tumblr_lqyfv8Fr1w1r2scfbo1_500.gif

Some days on the CAGCast

304428.jpg

Most days on the CAGCast

tumblr_lo75ye0wW51qeabw3o1_500.gif

Yes, I posted about this in the show thread 2 weeks ago. They finally get rid of the Deadpool and SR4 review, and then get rid of one of the most useful links on the page as well. Doesn't make sense.

However... Wombat said there were barely any replies - yet I still see 4 pages in that show thread. That's only a little below average.

One thing I did notice last week, though, was that the notifications seemed to be broken. Usually once I reply to a show thread I get a notification when someone makes a new post, but last week I didn't. I thought just no one was posting until I manually looked and saw two more pages.

(And everyone else who mentioned TWAU)

The weird thing is, Cheapy talking about The Wolf Among Us months and months ago was one of the contributing factors that led me to buying it (on sale, of course). And looking at his Steam achievements, he hasn't even finished Episode 2, and hasn't touched it since February. It's a fantastic game; I'm working on a second playthrough right now. I haven't even played any of The Walking Dead yet, but I got the first season in a Humble Bundle ages ago, so now I'm looking forward to it if it's anywhere as good as TWAU.

Ship with basketball injury

operation_zack_01.jpg

Cheapy at Tokyo American Club Yoga

slater1.jpg

Chef Wombat teaching Cheapy how to cook

4.03_-_Screech%27s_Spaghetti_Sauce.png

Pre E3 Kazoo

Saved-by-the-Bell.jpg

Post E3 Kazoo Wombat and Cheapy

tumblr_lqyfv8Fr1w1r2scfbo1_500.gif

Some days on the CAGCast

304428.jpg

Most days on the CAGCast

tumblr_lo75ye0wW51qeabw3o1_500.gif
You made my day and got it down perfectly. next cag should just be called cagcast 373 Saved by the bell.........

Finished the CAGCast today, only got to listen to half when it came out.  Great episode guys, it was nice to have the OG feel.  It was hilarious how disorganized you guys were at first lol.

Anyway, if you guys ever stop doing the CAGCast I will troll you for the rest of my life ;)  Looking forward to next week's show, keep it up guys!

I love how confidently Wombat states stuff even if he has no clue if he's right and ends up being totally wrong about it. Major Nelson has been going since late 2004. That's longer than the CAGCast. I don't listen to him anymore because his show became about nothing more than shilling for the latest Microsoft crap, but I used to listen back than (during the run up to the 360 launch). It was actually a pretty good show back in the day. Now, the only podcast I listen to right away as soon as I can is the CAGcast. Keep up the good work--even if Wombat gets one wrong every now and then!

SInce you were wondering, Cheapy: Naxxramas is a place, not a person. It's a big floating base thing for the Scourge (undead guys) to help them spread the Plague.

As to Evolve's success as an eSport: I watch a lot of pro LoL and CSGO (every single week), and I don't think Evolve has legs to survive for very long in that sense. I watched just one round of that E3 tournament and my curiosity was completely sated and it did not interest me for more. There's also the added facet, like Wombat mentioned, that it's 1v4. I guess they could have it where teams have one designated monster player when they play that side, but it still is wonky and not really something you want for an eSport.

I imagine that the Audioboo views are so high because people are seeing the page but don't necessarily listen. Maybe even people who hit play and then stop after just a couple of seconds.

Ship with basketball injury [snip]
Funniest thing I've seen all day! I had to log in just to mention that. Then I watched Wombat singing to the pretzel bun. Nice!

While I'm here...

Wombat's thoughts about the Alien pre-order giving him a negative impression on the game's potential quality was interesting to me. I hadn't though about that and, in fact, lean toward the opposite. Are they just confident that the main game is solid enough that they can offer such a neat feature as DLC?

Can someone in the video game industry say something insensitive so Wombat will wake up?  I understand between a long day at work, the LIRR strike and 2 kids he has a lot going on but if you are going to do a show then do a show.  It wasn't just Shipwreck missing.  It was usually enthusiastic Wombat who also sat out the show.  If I was a new listener do you honestly think I would follow Wombat on twitter after that show?

By the way it's worth noting that the entertaining Wombat always shows up for Uniformed Opinions. Maybe he's just tired of talking about video games after 10 years?

bread's done
Back