BBY/AMZ Dragon Ball Z Seasons 1, 2, 3 (Blu ray) - $17.99/ea

These have been mentioned several times in the past few weeks in the anime thread.

Kind of hard to find though since it's constantly getting buried with pages of posts. ;P

And S2 and S3 have been that price since release at Walmart, but S3 price has gone up, so Amazon just matching BBY now on S3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah I don't go through that thread either. Is there a complete set  or are they still working on the rest  of the seasons? Thanks OP. 

Don't get them. they're not that good imo. i thought they would be nicer looking but everything is just neon. the cover art is lame and will only get lamer. just buy the orange bricks. they are at least semi decent compared to the dragon boxes which are oop. 

would like to see more people give their thoughts on DBZ releases..  can't seem to find a concrete consensus as to which is the best to get.

would like to see more people give their thoughts on DBZ releases.. can't seem to find a concrete consensus as to which is the best to get.
That's because there ISN'T a consensus on which to get.

The Blu-rays are in widescreen, but not as washed out as the Orange Bricks. However, while the picture quality is better, it's not as good as the Level sets.

However, these new sets do have actual extras.

If you just want the whole series with decent picture quality, the new sets are the way to go. Plus, the new sets take up far less room.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because there ISN'T a consensus on which to get.

The Blu-rays are in widescreen, but not as washed out as the Orange Bricks. However, while the picture quality is better, it's not as good as the Level sets.

However, these new sets do have actual extras.

If you just want the whole series with decent picture quality, the new sets are the way to go. Plus, the new sets take up far less room.
This, for me as well.

On top of that I love what they did with the artwork making it one whole big panoramic picture depicting the events of each season/saga. Makes me want to put all of them on my shelf.

Also, does anyone in this thread have a opinion on DBZ vs DBZ Kai?

I'm split on Kai. I thought Kai had the better Freeza saga since it cut out all the filler and junk, but I prefer the original Cell Saga as Kai's version lacks a lot of the tension and suspense of the original.

As for the Saiyan saga? I actually prefer Saban's. ^_^'

The Dragon Boxes are the way to go.

I'm unaware of any non-butchered Blu-Ray sets but would love to pick some up.

FUNimation released the first 34 episodes in its original aspect ratio in its Level 1 sets, but were forced to stop for various reasons. Videophiles compared those to the Dragon Boxes and found the Level sets to be sharper, brighter, and cleaner all around.

However, the method FUNi used to restore the film was too expensive which is why these new releases use a different process. As for the widescreen, US fans overwhelmingly wanted the show in widescreen so FUNi gave them what they wanted.

US fans overwhelmingly want the sets for free but oddly enough FUNI doesn't seem to be budging there ;)

Give me OAR or give me death.

This, for me as well.

On top of that I love what they did with the artwork making it one whole big panoramic picture depicting the events of each season/saga. Makes me want to put all of them on my shelf.

Also, does anyone in this thread have a opinion on DBZ vs DBZ Kai?
The censorship in Kai is really annoying.

dbkai3.jpg

This set is well worth it. The self proclaimed "authentic" DBZ apologists have to please stop with the old and tired argument regarding the aspect ratio. 

We get it. You like the original picture with original audio etc. Go waste over $1000 on the dragon box sets and call it a day. Not everyone wants that.

Lucky I scored Dragon Box sets for cheap.  I waits for better Dragon Ball Sets re-release.  Possible early 2018 ;)   you know Funi always have better way to ripping people off over & over again for "DRAGON BALL" :)

I picked up the first two sets at Best Buy. Haven't had a chance to check them out yet. I'll throw them in soon and provide my impressions. I have the Kai sets as well as the orange DVD sets to compare them against.

It is on the masters. Japanese TV regulations have changed a LOT since DBZ first aired.

You know all those super bright scenes where characters are firing large ki blasts? Well, those were originally strobe effects that had to be changed due to the Pokemon Shock incident.

FUNimation released the first 34 episodes in its original aspect ratio in its Level 1 sets, but were forced to stop for various reasons. Videophiles compared those to the Dragon Boxes and found the Level sets to be sharper, brighter, and cleaner all around.

However, the method FUNi used to restore the film was too expensive which is why these new releases use a different process. As for the widescreen, US fans overwhelmingly wanted the show in widescreen so FUNi gave them what they wanted.
you know considering how much funi makes off of dbz Im really shocked they just haven't finished the level sets at this point. oh well as someone else stated Im sure in 2018 they'll release it again because **** why not? whats one more way to sucker us into buy the dbz series yet again

and to the guy that posted the photos....I had no idea it was that bad. that is just insane. as for the which is better story wise kai or the original? kai was pretty good and I agree with the other guy the Freeza saga was better in Kai but the cell fight is better in the original

in september they'll wrap up the blu ray sets. however, since toriyama is making another movie what better way to promote it then by releasing a more cost effective dragon box set. more so how about releasing battle of the gods special edition. i'm going to continue to wait before purchasing all the series. i do however own the blue brick db sets and gt though

Because all the edited material was done by the Japanese production staff for airing on Japanese TV. Aside from the various language translations, what you're seeing is what the Japanese saw when Kai aired on TV. Well, close anyway. Japanese Kai was cropped to widescreen in some areas.

Because all the edited material was done by the Japanese production staff for airing on Japanese TV. Aside from the various language translations, what you're seeing is what the Japanese saw when Kai aired on TV. Well, close anyway. Japanese Kai was cropped to widescreen in some areas.
ah man I do love lawyer talk

p.s. this isn't an insult to you just a commentary on only lawyers could call something uncut when its in fact cut.

in september they'll wrap up the blu ray sets. however, since toriyama is making another movie what better way to promote it then by releasing a more cost effective dragon box set. more so how about releasing battle of the gods special edition. i'm going to continue to wait before purchasing all the series. i do however own the blue brick db sets and gt though
Uh, that movie's been out for forever now.... crap with distribution rights is the only reason it's just now coming to America.

As for this.... I would kill for a good deal on the entire DB/DBZ series. DVD or Bluray, I don't care, I just don't want to spend $200+ on the series. I really like that feature the DVD's have though, where you can watch the English dub with the japanese music. DO the blu rays have anything like that?

Last edited:
Uh, that movie's been out for forever now.... crap with distribution rights is the only reason it's just now coming to America.

As for this.... I would kill for a good deal on the entire DB/DBZ series. DVD or Bluray, I don't care, I just don't want to spend $200+ on the series. I really like that feature the DVD's have though, where you can watch the English dub with the japanese music. DO the blu rays have anything like that?
There's actually another one coming out which will basically retcon GT. BoG is being dubbed in English and comes out this week.

I don't think blu rays have that which is why I'm temped to go with the orange bricks. I have orange brick season 1. all the blue bricks of dragonball which kickass because they are very crisp and the audio is very good and the yellow bricks of gt (only 2)

i do forsee a blu ray release of dragonball next year seeing as how good this is doing

gt i do not see because they are retconning it now with these new movies

z blu ray wraps up in sept.

dragon box re release would make the most money

There's actually another one coming out which will basically retcon GT. BoG is being dubbed in English and comes out this week.

I don't think blu rays have that which is why I'm temped to go with the orange bricks. I have orange brick season 1. all the blue bricks of dragonball which kickass because they are very crisp and the audio is very good and the yellow bricks of gt (only 2)

i do forsee a blu ray release of dragonball next year seeing as how good this is doing

gt i do not see because they are retconning it now with these new movies

z blu ray wraps up in sept.

dragon box re release would make the most money
Aww damn, I had no idea! Retcon's GT huh..... I like it already rofl. But I thought Dragonball Online was supposed to be canon and it retconned GT as well? Is this new movie gonna tie into that somehow or is it something entirely different?

.......I'm not the biggest MMO guy but damn I would have killed to get my hands on Dragonball Online. Why did it never come over here?

And yeah, I've seen the brick sets before, and while I know most fans seem to loathe them I liked them fine. I don't own any of them though, and I just can't justify spending that much money on the series, even one like DB/DBZ.

Last edited:
Aww damn, I had no idea! Retcon's GT huh..... I like it already rofl. But I thought Dragonball Online was supposed to be canon and it retconned GT as well? Is this new movie gonna tie into that somehow or is it something entirely different?

.......I'm not the biggest MMO guy but damn I would have killed to get my hands on Dragonball Online. Why did it never come over here?

And yeah, I've seen the brick sets before, and while I know most fans seem to loathe them I liked them fine. I don't own any of them though, and I just can't justify spending that much money on the series, even one like DB/DBZ.
Yes so now GT would be a like a love letter to the series and completely non canonical. Which is great because it opens up for more people to do movies ever so often after Z ended without having to make it so GT counts too.

I don't know why it didn't come over here. Probably localization issues, funding, effort, etc.

I like them just fine as well but the Blu Ray sets for Z are tempting with the features but the colors aren't that good because they look so neon.

I spent in total 100 for DB not bad. Still don't have the movies though :(

As for Z I spent 25 for one season of Z so I don't know if I'll continue with the Orange Bricks.

GT costed 33 for both seasons.

yea I too was wondering how these blu rays compare to the orange bricks. while the bricks don't bother me too much I do agree I would have preferred it had they not cropped the image. if there is a noticeable difference between the bricks and blu rays I may get them but I don't feel like rebuying the series. though its not like I haven't blown tons of money on this series.....VHS tapes, GT individual sets and the bricks, orange bricks, strangely not the blue bricks, the movies, games....etc.

none of the movies are canon.....they really cant be. so retconning GT just to make more movies doesn't make sense because GT is canon yet the movies cant actually fit into the timelines anywhere. then again its not like this is a plothole free series.

bread's done
Back