Turtle Beach is having a 72 hour flash sale. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Ear Force Tango on sale for $119.99!

Snagged a pair a while back when the same site was selling them for $90. Totally worth it for that price, $120 is decent too.

Works with both PS3 and 360, but the new 360E lost the optical out so no surround sound for these if you have the newest 360. I can't remember if the 360 phats had optical out, and I'm too lazy to goole it.

Thanks, man. Been watching TB headsets for a while and picked one up with promo code 10TBTALK for an extra 10%. Was just under 108. Now to add-on a talkback cable for my Xbox One for 10 more.

The old white Xbox does have optical out. It's a part of the larger audio/video output adapter.

TB's entire high end line is underwhelming. The Tangos are really just PX51's / XP510's with a different skin and some "custom" EQ modes that aren't discernibly different from the main models. Build quality is questionable, sound is muddy. I'd pass even at this price.

Sony Golds and refurbished Astro A40's / A50's (available from Amazon) are going to serve most gamers better.

TB's entire high end line is underwhelming. The Tangos are really just PX51's / XP510's with a different skin and some "custom" EQ modes that aren't discernibly different from the main models. Build quality is questionable, sound is muddy. I'd pass even at this price.

Sony Golds and refurbished Astro A40's / A50's (available from Amazon) are going to serve most gamers better.
Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm going to have to disagree. If we're talking build quality then the Astro A50s are known to have problems. Sound quality is also worse than the A40s.

I owned the Tangos, and they were no doubt a premium product with nicer materials than the TB sets you mentioned. Wireless with solid sound quality, and a 14hr battery life with a very long recharging cable. At $110 they're a STEAL.
I made the mistake of falling for the Astro hype, and returned my Tangos for the more expensive A40s. Sound quality is slightly better, but I now have wires to deal with. If I could do it over I'd have kept my Tangos!
At this price you'd be out of your mind to blow another $150-$200 on Astros that offer nothing more than a name.
The Sony Golds sound great and are a nice deal as well. But unlike the Tangos they're only stereo, not Dolby Digital.
...my two cents speaking from experience

In the Best Buy I visited the N11 is clearance'd out to $19.99, msrp $49.99 and $50 on the turtle website too.  Its a headset for Wii U, dunno if it works on other systems as well but it apparently plugs right into the gamepad on Wii U and has a mic

In the Best Buy I visited the N11 is clearance'd out to $19.99, msrp $49.99 and $50 on the turtle website too. Its a headset for Wii U, dunno if it works on other systems as well but it apparently plugs right into the gamepad on Wii U and has a mic
$20 is still to high I bought it from best buy last year for $5 and even then idk if it was worth it since even on full volume you could bearly hear anything and no it wasn't a bad set cause I have two and both are the same way.

I'm going to have to disagree. If we're talking build quality then the Astro A50s are known to have problems. Sound quality is also worse than the A40s.
I owned the Tangos, and they were no doubt a premium product with nicer materials than the TB sets you mentioned. Wireless with solid sound quality, and a 14hr battery life with a very long recharging cable. At $110 they're a STEAL.
I made the mistake of falling for the Astro hype, and returned my Tangos for the more expensive A40s. Sound quality is slightly better, but I now have wires to deal with. If I could do it over I'd have kept my Tangos!
At this price you'd be out of your mind to blow another $150-$200 on Astros that offer nothing more than a name.
The Sony Golds sound great and are a nice deal as well. But unlike the Tangos they're only stereo, not Dolby Digital.
If you're an audiophile, wired will always be better than wireless.

The N11s are fine unless you are deaf or need the sound blasting loud enough to make you deaf. I have a pair and they work great with PS4 and Xbox One if you have the chat adapter.

I had the Tangos, theyre good but the SEVEN series with a DSS are way better...I specifically have the Marvel set with Thor on the box lol, same shyt different skin...

Be warned, the headphones are large, or my head is small.
I have a large head and they are still (I wear 7 1/2 or lrg/xlrg hats) big on me. A coneheaded person clearly designed these.

I put some padding on the inside of the headband and now they are great.

I gave the PX51's a whirl and was thoroughly unimpressed. It's possible the Tango's have better EQ presets, but the bass on the TB's is off. Parts of the range were overemphasized, which ended up distorting the sound. TB's Dolby Headphone implementation also isn't as good as Astro's. The Tango's give better positional cues than the Golds, but not nearly as good as the semi-open A40's. The A50's are a closer competition, but still better.

Bottom line if that the Astro MixAmp is the best surround option on the market at the moment (this is pretty much undisputed--check out HeadFi, etc.), so they're the best choice if you're a competitive gamer and care about surround. This may change in a few months when Turtle Beach releases the Elite 800 and new tournament mixer. Both will use DTS Headphone:X instead of Dolby. DTS"s technology is very impressive, but it remains to be seen how well it will work when working off a converted Dolby signal, as none of the consoles support HP:X natively.

I'd agree that Astro's aren't worth $150-200 more than the Tangos, but they're available refurbished from Amazon and have been as low as $140 for A40's and $165 for A50's in the last month. They're worth THAT premium. The only build issue I'm aware of with Astro's is the slight right cup hiss when the sound gate is active on the A50's, which does drive some people bonkers.

You're wrong about the Gold's being stereo-only as they have a Sony-proprietary virtual surround implementation. It's not as good as any Dolby implementation, but it's there and its serviceable. For someone who doesn't care about surround, the Golds are more comfortable (as has been noted here several times, the Tango's run large--the Gold's will be a better fit for MOST people) and deliver stereo quality that's almost as good as the Tangos. And they've routinely $50 cheaper than the flash price on the Tangos.

I had the previous Sony Pulse and the Elite. VSS left a lot to be desired. The Tangos were definitely a step up.
The Golds look nice though, and I'm hearing good things about them. I really like that they fold up, and sounds like they're comfy.
I'm almost tempted to get a pair since they're a bit more versatile then my Astros.

I just hooked up new sony gold I got yesterday at best buy to my PS4 and love it, I am a 100% headphone hating guy - expensive stereo system in my gaming room so why would I ever wanna headphone!! - but for Destiny its great, especially since it has a built in invisible mic for team play.  There may be another sale on the Sony's at Best Buy sometime soon since they are running different weekly specials.  Getting it for $50-60 is a pretty good deal and its dropped to that price a bunch of times now at BB/amazon/Newegg.

The TB N11's for Wii U are ok, I didn't notice any real problems with my set but compared to the Sony Golds they are pretty crap.  Fortunately Nintendo's online gaming policies make a headset pretty much unnecessary (cant voice chat even with friends) so rarely need them, maybe super smash.

I gave the PX51's a whirl and was thoroughly unimpressed. It's possible the Tango's have better EQ presets, but the bass on the TB's is off. Parts of the range were overemphasized, which ended up distorting the sound. TB's Dolby Headphone implementation also isn't as good as Astro's. The Tango's give better positional cues than the Golds, but not nearly as good as the semi-open A40's. The A50's are a closer competition, but still better.

Bottom line if that the Astro MixAmp is the best surround option on the market at the moment (this is pretty much undisputed--check out HeadFi, etc.), so they're the best choice if you're a competitive gamer and care about surround. This may change in a few months when Turtle Beach releases the Elite 800 and new tournament mixer. Both will use DTS Headphone:X instead of Dolby. DTS"s technology is very impressive, but it remains to be seen how well it will work when working off a converted Dolby signal, as none of the consoles support HP:X natively.

I'd agree that Astro's aren't worth $150-200 more than the Tangos, but they're available refurbished from Amazon and have been as low as $140 for A40's and $165 for A50's in the last month. They're worth THAT premium. The only build issue I'm aware of with Astro's is the slight right cup hiss when the sound gate is active on the A50's, which does drive some people bonkers.

You're wrong about the Gold's being stereo-only as they have a Sony-proprietary virtual surround implementation. It's not as good as any Dolby implementation, but it's there and its serviceable. For someone who doesn't care about surround, the Golds are more comfortable (as has been noted here several times, the Tango's run large--the Gold's will be a better fit for MOST people) and deliver stereo quality that's almost as good as the Tangos. And they've routinely $50 cheaper than the flash price on the Tangos.
It sounds like you're a bit pickier about sound quality than the average person. Most people will be thoroughly impressed (or at least satisfied) by Turtle Beach or Sony headphone sound quality. Astro's are surely better, but the additional hassles of wires, etc. make them less ideal for me and many others. Many of us are willing to give up slight differences for better ease of use.

Also, I have noticed that Astro's don't seem as good for chat as Turtle Beach due to poor sound quality on the receiving end. This could be simply limited to my own experience, but when I chat with Astro owners, their chat quality is often filled with static or other issues.

It sounds like you're a bit pickier about sound quality than the average person. Most people will be thoroughly impressed (or at least satisfied) by Turtle Beach or Sony headphone sound quality. Astro's are surely better, but the additional hassles of wires, etc. make them less ideal for me and many others. Many of us are willing to give up slight differences for better ease of use.

Also, I have noticed that Astro's don't seem as good for chat as Turtle Beach due to poor sound quality on the receiving end. This could be simply limited to my own experience, but when I chat with Astro owners, their chat quality is often filled with static or other issues.
I'll confess that I'm a bit pickier with sound than some. And, generally speaking, gaming headsets are steaming piles of you know what. It's not like the Astro's are all that great. They're just better than most gaming headsets. Before we had kids, I'd use the Astro mixamp with open-ear AD700's. My wife nixed that as soon as we had kids (too many wires around for them to trip on or get tangled in), so I've settled on the A50's as the best I'll be able to do for the time being. That's also why I sample so many high end headsets. I end up returning most of them or reselling them for a small profit since nothing's trumped the A50 yet, but as soon as there's something better I'll shout it from the rooftops. One of the reasons I'm so excited for the TB Elite 800's and DTS Headphone.

I'll confess that I'm a bit pickier with sound than some. And, generally speaking, gaming headsets are steaming piles of you know what. It's not like the Astro's are all that great. They're just better than most gaming headsets. Before we had kids, I'd use the Astro mixamp with open-ear AD700's. My wife nixed that as soon as we had kids (too many wires around for them to trip on or get tangled in), so I've settled on the A50's as the best I'll be able to do for the time being. That's also why I sample so many high end headsets. I end up returning most of them or reselling them for a small profit since nothing's trumped the A50 yet, but as soon as there's something better I'll shout it from the rooftops. One of the reasons I'm so excited for the TB Elite 800's and DTS Headphone.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being picky and discerning (within reason). I just think most people care as much about ease of use as they do about sound quality and are willing to compromise quite a bit. Many people can't tell much (if any) difference between CD quality and an MP3. It's a symptom of our society - for better or worse. I would bet that a large portion of gamers wouldn't be able to tell a distinguishable difference between Turtle Beach, Astro, or other brands in a blind test. Actually, i'll bet that's been done by some gaming site already.

Thanks, man. Been watching TB headsets for a while and picked one up with promo code 10TBTALK for an extra 10%. Was just under 108. Now to add-on a talkback cable for my Xbox One for 10 more.
Anything to save a few extra bucks. Thanks for the info to get an extra 10% off.

bread's done
Back