Corsair Vengeance MM200 Standard Edition Gaming Mouse Mat $8.99 at Amazon

I'm new to this pc gaming thing is it really recommended for a "gaming" mousepad over a regular mousepad?

I'm new to this pc gaming thing is it really recommended for a "gaming" mousepad over a regular mousepad?
All preference really. Something like this or the Steelseries Qck are popular because they tend to be thicker, more durable, etc. than the average mouse pad but especially because they're big. Don't want to be trying to do something in the heat of the moment and have your mouse go off the mat.

So no, there's no huge performance boost like the marketing on this kind of thing claims but they're a nice, solid, gamer friendly mouse pad with good real estate for under $10.

All preference really. Something like this or the Steelseries Qck are popular because they tend to be thicker, more durable, etc. than the average mouse pad but especially because they're big. Don't want to be trying to do something in the heat of the moment and have your mouse go off the mat.

So no, there's no huge performance boost like the marketing on this kind of thing claims but they're a nice, solid, gamer friendly mouse pad with good real estate for under $10.
Thanks that's good to know. Also as far as gaming mice go, are those recommended too. I only want to entry game, at most Skyrim.

Thanks that's good to know. Also as far as gaming mice go, are those recommended too. I only want to entry game, at most Skyrim.
This pad will do fine then. I picked one up myself a while back at Frys. It's a good size without being oversized like a lot of other gaming mousepads, and it's functional. It's nothing special, but it gets the job done. It feels nicer than your typical freebie mousepad too. Personally, I get far more hung up on the mouse I use than the pad it sits on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse is far more important but a lot of what's right for you depends on how you hold it and any other preferences. I wouldn't recommend going into anything too crazy and high end if you're not going to get crazy into FPS games or competitive games like MOBAs.

Depending on preference I would start by looking at something like the Logitech G400s or Razer Death Adder. Both are really quality products that are the epitome of mid-end gaming mice and if you watch sales can be had reasonably (under $50). There's other brands and models but Logitech and Razer are by far the dominant forces in this and for good reason so I would start there. I tend to like the Razer better (and just replaced the old version of the Logitech with the new version of the Razer) but the Razer stuff doesn't tend to last nearly as long as the Logitech. I'll usually replace the Razer mouse after 1-2 years vs 3-4 years on comparable Logitech in my experience.

For someone new to specialized mice I would probably recommend the Logitech because it's more accommodating to a variety of grip styles than the Death Adder. There is also a Logitech G100s if you want to stay as cheap as possible while getting a solid mouse but it's really worth it to spend the extra $20 and step up to the G400s. Even if you won't use the extra buttons it's got a much more comfortable shape to it, better sensor, is more configurable, and going to have more heft to it where the real low end stuff tends to be so light it actually impacts your mousing at times.

Ouch. I paid the same amount for a Bluetooth mouse that works on my laptop, desktop, tablet, and smartphone. Give an optical any hard surface and you should be good to play. Actually having skill at a game will benefit you more than having a "gaming mouse" or a "gaming mousepad."

QCK is great imo. Especially for the price. The mini is like 9 bucks at Walmart too.

Also, agreed with Logitech as starting mice. The Logitech G lineup goes on sale often and they're great for the price. They don't look all that flashy like those Razer gaming mice if that's what you want and perform really well. I had the 400 until I upgraded to a G600.

Edit: Agreed with Blade above on the mousepad part. They don't do much for you. Just preference. I like the QCK cause of how big it is and how it feels. Especially for the price I paid for it. It's extremely durable and you can just wash it. I think the G600 is better than any wireless mice I've ever used though. There's little to no lag on it compared to a cheap mice and the battery life so far has been great.

bread's done
Back