Trying to do something nice for my wife. Anyone experienced with boats/canoes?

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Hey CAG community, hoping you guys can help with a little problem. My wife has been feeling really depressed recently and I want to do something to try and help her out of her funk. We both have always really loved nature but not taken enough time with it recently. We also just moved to a new home thats a 8ish minute walk from a river that stretches for miles along woods. I am thinking the perfect thing to help her out is to get some type of cheap boat and have us go site seeing on the water. I believe it will do worlds of good for her.

Looking on craigslist I see its easy enough to get a fishing boat for like $500ish which is tempting(god is it tempting I want to go tubbing again!) but other then preffering(if possible)to not spend that much(gotta love student loans) I also do not feel thats very romantic or nearly as relaxing as it could be. I see Canoes running about $150-$300 but most of them seem to be like 16-20 feet long and I was really hoping that if we were not getting a fishing boat, we could find something we can drag through the field behind our house to the water. I also was hoping that I could find something smaller that way we could boat side by side. I have seen people on the water in smaller plastic looking vessels(no more then 10 feet long)side by side like this, but I have no freaking clue what the things are called and typing canoe or boat is not helping.

So, any advice? I imagine there has to be a few places other then craiglist to look for cheap boats and I imagine other then canoes, paddle boats and fishing boats there have to be other options! Thanks in advance! O and trying to keep ideal budge around $300 but recognzing that is low and will likely have to go closer to $500ish, just really preffer not to if possible!

Have you considered kayaks op? That may even be the vessel you saw but couldn't find the name to? Though I doubt it. You could typically find an eight foot kayak for under 300. They're easy to paddle even if you don't have a lot of experience and they're fairly easy to drag.

Kayaks! I knew I was forgetting something! Very good suggestion, probaly a lot easier to find then the man in the canoe too! I will also look into this REI thing.

Yep, that will do the trick nicely! Even just with a few minutes of looking I am seeing new ones under $300. Though I bet I have to buy a nicer one for myself being 6'1 280 pounds :whistle2: Most of the cheap ones have a 250-300ish cut off it seems. Thanks again, appreciate the advice greatly! If anyone else has any other suggestions still open though!

I have been wanting to get a fishing kayak, but I can't seem to save up the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wanting to get a fishing kayak, but I can't seem to save up the money.
Whats the difference between a fishing Kayak? Assuming a little sturdier and likely storage space for fish and fishing supplies? I was gonna look at them but saw they were $200-$400 more expensive. Figured if I was spending that much might as well spend the $500-$700 and get a good Alluminum boat with a motor.

I have no idea the pricing, but you could also look into pedal boats. The ones you pedal like a bicycle. Those are typically for 2 people. Just another option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea the pricing, but you could also look into pedal boats. The ones you pedal like a bicycle. Those are typically for 2 people. Just another option.
I was actually just looking those up! I love biking and would rather pedal then row any day! However it looks like they are a bit more expensive since they are just starting to become popular.

I just stumbled across this

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Excursion-Boat-Set-Model/dp/B005S6GY74/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

But even with glowing reviews and people in answers saying it goes over rocks and trees well I am VERY worried about an inflatable. Our river is long and narrow and the whole thing is lined with trees on both sides. I know from fishing its snag city...so man even at $150 with those reviews inflatable concerns me. I am really thinking I may try this though. It holds up to 800 pounds so I could even put down plywood and take my dogs with me!

Whats the difference between a fishing Kayak? Assuming a little sturdier and likely storage space for fish and fishing supplies? I was gonna look at them but saw they were $200-$400 more expensive. Figured if I was spending that much might as well spend the $500-$700 and get a good Alluminum boat with a motor.
Stability. This is from wikipedia:

Specially designed fishing kayaks usually have designs similar to those of recreational sit-in and sit-on-top kayaks characterized by very wide beams (up to 36 inches) that increase lateral stability. The increases stability allows for the angler to stand up and fish on the kayak. These kayaks provide a considerable space for storage inside their hulls which allow the angler to stow rods, fishing gear, batteries for fish finders, extra paddles, anchors, and wheels to tow the kayak from vehicle to the water.
Compare a metal john boat to a bass boat. You can get up and walk around on a bass boat with little rocking, whereas a john boat will probably dump you out in the lake.

bread's done
Back