ps3 160gb dropped dead. is it worth trying to fix it?

bill esquivel

CAGiversary!
My brothers ps3 160gb died. Is it worth trying to fix it? I watched a video of taking a heat gun to it to reflow the chips. Does not seem like a good/long term solution.  Has anyone done it? How long does the repair last.  I have some repair skills, but I would assume its surface mount or bga and thats beyond what I would try..

Gamestop looks like they would give like a $45-$50 trade in credit for it.. Is that the best option?

I really don't like the design of the super slim.  Seems like the cover could be broken easily. what do you guys think?

I have a ps3 60gig. Its still working, but I was wondering If I should go through it, clean it out and replace the thermal paste before it fails. any recommended upgrades to it I should consider? thanks!

I personally enjoy the Super Slim. I am a fan of the top load design, and the cover is pretty sturdy.

I have no idea about opening one up and fixing it, but a decent youtube video should guide you through it. WHen my laptop died, I watched a complete teardown video. I recommend it if you end up opening the thing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamestop won't take it if it doesn't work.

In order to make it work, you have to open it up.

If you open it up, Gamestop won't take it.

It's a classic case of CatchPS3.

Throw it away* and buy a new one.  Anything you do to it will only be a temporary fix.

*By throw it away, I mean take it all apart and have fun destroying it, then dispose of it.

If you are worrying about super slim breaking, the old slim is with slot loading is more likely moving parts inside.  

Another thing about the Super Slim, mine runs pretty cool, and it's not very loud except when reading the disc on Uncharted.

I think it runs cooler than either of my slim PS2s, or my laptop.

thanks for the replies. I went by frys and they have a refurbed super slim with a 500gb for $179.  I just don't like the 90 day warranty on it. and no way to get an extended warranty.

Went to gamestop and they said they would take a doa one. I told him what it was doing, he said its normal trade in and they nock off for doa he said (they want the HDD and bluray), and its a $45 credit. So unless he is full of it, I think it would work.

I spoke to gampstop online and they sell a 5 game bundle for $199. They have a 30 day warranty, but she said I can walk into the store after it arrives and buy a 2 year warranty for it. Store says 2 year is $30-$50 depending on the price of the system. Seems iffy to me they would let you do that.

-----

update:  Noticed at the top of the page an add for cowboom. $99.99 +$5 ship for ps3 slim 250gb with controler and says its grade 5. I decided to go with that.

I was reading the CPS extended warranty on cowboom is a joke, So I passed on it. I can't find this answer but I am sure some of you know. Can you purchase a square trade extended warranty for a cowboom purchase?

one thing I was considering on cowboom was a last of us bundle ps3 500gb. It says grade 7, new. $215 and you can use $20 off and avoid the $5 shipping. If it counted as new and had 1 year warranty, I probably would have gone the extra $90 for it.

bread's done
Back