Club Nintendo Mistake?

JDai

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
A few minutes ago I received an email from Club Nintendo saying I'd registered Mario Kart 8 and have a registration survey to take. This was odd since I didn't register any products lately, or buy Mario Kart 8. I logged in to my Club Nintendo account and there was no survey waiting for me. I then looked at my registered games list and sure enough, Mario Kart wasn't on there.

Separate to this incident, a few weeks ago, I gave away my Club Nintendo Elite reward code to another CAG.

Could that person have purchased Mario Kart 8 and it somehow registered my email? Or was the email just a mistake from Club Nintendo?

Any advice helps. Thanks!

EDIT: I think the mystery has been solved. Club Nintendo is currently down for maintenance and the misguided email is somehow related to it. The email is official and from Nintendo. Crisis averted! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone would have had to log in to your account to redeem it.

Might want to change your password, and take that survey.
The thing is there is no survey and doesn't show Mario Kart on my redeemed list. Only an email telling me I have a survey from redeeming a game that supposedly doesn't exist.

Check all of the hyperlinks in the E-mail...look at what the URLs really are at the bottom of the screen.  Sounds like a phishing scam more than a Nintendo mistake.

Our first clue is simply this:  Nintendo has never sent me an E-mail "reminding me" that I haven't taken their stupid survey. (could just be my preference settings, though)

Check all of the hyperlinks in the E-mail...look at what the URLs really are at the bottom of the screen. Sounds like a phishing scam more than a Nintendo mistake.

Our first clue is simply this: Nintendo has never sent me an E-mail "reminding me" that I haven't taken their stupid survey. (could just be my preference settings, though)
Now that I look at the emails, something isn't right. Usually the emails are from [email protected], however this one is from [email protected]

Is this normal or is it some scam?

How do I notify Club Nintendo of this?

Hover your mousepointer over the main hyperlinks (most likely the ones that say "take your dumb survey!"), and look at the bottom left of your screen.  Every phishing E-mail ever made has super-strange and foreign-sounding URLs.  The e-mail you've mentioned seems ok, I'm sure Nintendo has multiple e-mail sub-accounts for different types of news/offers.

Hover your mousepointer over the main hyperlinks (most likely the ones that say "take your dumb survey!"), and look at the bottom left of your screen. Every phishing E-mail ever made has super-strange and foreign-sounding URLs. The e-mail you've mentioned seems ok, I'm sure Nintendo has multiple e-mail sub-accounts for different types of news/offers.
All the links redirect to http://t.em-news.nintendo.com

I've searched the IP it was sent from and it all checks out with Nintendo's info.

I'm starting to wonder if this was truly a mis-sent email?

I know this was solved, but I got the same email as well, I don't even have a Wii U registered as well.  Hoping maybe Nintendo made a mistake in my favor, but it just ended up being the vanilla kind of mistake.

bread's done
Back