CAGcast #376: A Sound of Blunder

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD stopped eating bread, Wombat stopped buying games, and Shipwreck stopped not buying GBA games.  Also, we talk Twitch, Sony 1080p lawsuit, free games on PSN and Xbox Live, and much more!

Download (1 hour 22 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://audioboo.fm/boos/2381498

GoDaddy.com Coupon Codes

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro: Blue (Da Ba Dee) Peter Agyagos Mix (iTunes)  -  Outro: Captain America (1990) Trailer
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a refurb Wii U after E3 for $200.  I really like the console and the OS, and my wife likes the $4 Art Academy app.  But there's no game I actually want to play on it till Bayonetta 2 comes out since I have no interest in the Mario and Zelda franchises.

Hopefully Fatal Frame V gets released in America.

Fatal_Frame_Wii_U.jpg

Re: who is left at Bioware, unfortunately Mac Walters the lead writer for ME3 is still there.

Correction: RE1 Remaster is actually based on the superior RE REmake that's on the GameCube. Also no tank controls option from what I read so Wombat should be happy.

Also, no one mentioned Ryse is coming out for PC this Fall. 4k resolution!

I wonder how that guy suing Sony would feel if he won the case and sony had to shut down the playstation brand and millions of gamers had no support on there playstations. What a douche.

I couldn't help but notice you guys skipped out on mentioning any Wii U games being released this year when looking through IGN's list.  I guess Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Super Smash Bros. 4 can't compete with the yearly sequels and HD remastered games coming out for PS4 and XB1 this year? 

As Cheapy said, "Let's give up on the Wii U already, ok?", seeing as how the Wii U has been out for 1.5 years now.  It's not like the Wii U's growing library of games over the past year has had any impact on thinking against that "everything's horrible/abysmal about the Wii U."  After all, "it's not really the most important thing about a console, having good games for it."  

Just look at the PS4 and XB1.  They're doing a great job at following Wii U's example of having a rather small library of games initially and releasing HD remasters of 1-3 year-old-games, instead of brand-new games.  Will they too be written off come summer 2015 if they don't release their "triple-A" games like Uncharted 4 and Halo 5 by then?

I couldn't help but notice you guys skipped out on mentioning any Wii U games being released this year when looking through IGN's list. I guess Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Super Smash Bros. 4 can't compete with the yearly sequels and HD remastered games coming out for PS4 and XB1 this year?

As Cheapy said, "Let's give up on the Wii U already, ok?", seeing as how the Wii U has been out for 1.5 years now. It's not like the Wii U's growing library of games over the past year has had any impact on thinking against that "everything's horrible/abysmal about the Wii U." After all, "it's not really the most important thing about a console, having good games for it."

Just look at the PS4 and XB1. They're doing a great job at following Wii U's example of having a rather small library of games initially and releasing HD remasters of 1-3 year-old-games, instead of brand-new games. Will they too be written off come summer 2015 if they don't release their "triple-A" games like Uncharted 4 and Halo 5 by then?
I believe the conversation was about games for Cheapy to play. Since he does not have a WiiU it wouldn't make sense to bring those games up.

Dear Wombat, I wish you would release an album of cover songs, with music edited in by CheapyD. If you do Air Supply, maybe the next Child's Play will get a lot more donations?

I believe the conversation was about games for Cheapy to play. Since he does not have a WiiU it wouldn't make sense to bring those games up.
Yeah I kind of thought that might have been the case too. I do wonder how the several game delays going into 2015 might cause some PS4/XB1-only gamers to consider a Wii U as a secondary console during the PS4/XB1's game drought.

I'm currently playing through resident evil 4 on PC and I thought it looked surprisingly good. I guess it depends on what you were expecting, I don't think there is any new textures, just high res versions of the originals. Also that game is still fantastic. I want RE1 or 2 to be completely redone with the same over the shoulder camera/aiming then I would be able to play it.

Great show guys, i don't know why but this was the most funny episode in a long time. I listened today walking my mail route and people were looking at me funny while i was laughing.

Cheapy, since you mentioned you were longing for a Wing Commander type game, have you tried Strike Suit Zero yet? It's the free game with Xbox Live Gold on Xbox One this month. I think it'll scratch that itch.

Cheapy, since you mentioned you were longing for a Wing Commander type game, have you tried Strike Suit Zero yet? It's the free game with Xbox Live Gold on Xbox One this month. I think it'll scratch that itch.
He has it on Steam. I believe I remember him saying awhile ago that it was just ok. Can't remember his exact opinion, but seeing as he only has a 0.2 hour playtime on it, that's probably accurate. I've also played it myself and I think it's just ok as well, but I always have wanted to go play more of it.

Did the Resident Evil Remake (Gamecube game) they are basing this HD Resident Evil have any Nintendo references in it? Like a Mario plush or poster in it?

I remember Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes on the Gamecube had at least Mario and Yoshi plushes on a desk as easter eggs. Might be more of a stretch to get a HD upgrade of that game. Oh, and there is also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSb_AFvhb2k

Did the Resident Evil Remake (Gamecube game) they are basing this HD Resident Evil have any Nintendo references in it? Like a Mario plush or poster in it?

I remember Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes on the Gamecube had at least Mario and Yoshi plushes on a desk as easter eggs. Might be more of a stretch to get a HD upgrade of that game. Oh, and there is also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSb_AFvhb2k
No Nintendo stuff is in REmake. Nintendo helped with Twin Snakes is why Mario and Yoshi make a cameo.

There are actually 5 Apple stores in Manhattan.

In order of when they opened:

Soho

Fifth Avenue (at 59th Street)

West 14th Street

Upper West Side

Grand Central

I worked at the Fifth Avenue store for a few years. Loved being so close to central park. Great show this week. It will be missed while Cheapy is away.

"I'd enjoy the game if it was a completely different game."

Puzzle games typically reset every time you die, so it's not an issue for me that Road Not Taken starts over again once you mess up. Letting you keep everything but the level progress would take out most of the challenge. I'd rather not see the game changed for Wombat's issues, but maybe a baby/easy mode would be an okay alternative.

The thing that annoyed me about Crimson Dragon is that it's designed so that you cannot do well the first time through each level, as you have to keep playing other levels and replaying previous ones to level up you and your dragon to open up new abilities to let you do better on those early levels.

Cheapy, there are these things called settings on your browser that lets you make text bigger so that your old man eyes can read almost any site out there. Hell, there may even be an OS setting for that sort of thing.

Twitch gets huge numbers for streams that makes it a viable site on its own since Youtube's streaming supposedly stinks from what I've heard, so they intend for Youtube to be the way to archive Twitch videos since that has been an option for a long time now.

Not everybody has played the original Resident Evil nor do they want to play it since it's a confusing mess for those that haven't had that game's form of logic imprinted in their brain ~15 years ago. If Capcom were to somehow let the remastering of that game affect their other projects, they're completely hopeless when it comes to making good games. The Last of Us Remastered was made by two programmers.

I don't get the general negativity that you guys have towards remastered games if they're not really being made for you.

I so wanted to like Crimson Dragon. Even paid for it at launch (can't really say "full price" when I had plenty of heavily discounted MS Points left, but I did squander some of my precious converted points for that disappointment)

On a different note, not only did Man of Steel retell the origin story yet again, it completely ruined Pa Kent in the process. ("No, Clark, don't use your powers...")

Here's the way I look at it:  カラオケ happens in an intimate room with pals (or coworkers I guess) and a nice couch, whereas karaoke is what you do at your local dive in front of dozens of drunk strangers.  You should try my mindset, it's fun!  I play Senran Kagura because I don't give an eighth of a  fuck.

although he does have the perfect job for owning a Wii U. He can probably write it off. He has an outlet to easily get rid of it if (I mean when) he really hates it. In other words he can resell it on CAG or donate it to Child's Play. PLus he also has a videogame podcast which he can inform everything what he thinks about owning a Wii U. High entertainment value with just that.

I like the remastering for pre-HDTV games as they were designed and optimized to display on 4:3 tube televisions also a lot of the newer televisions don't always offer component or S-video to easily hook up the old consoles. In the case of some remasters (like Shadow of the Colossus HD), the remaster actually corrects a deficiency in the original game. The framerate on PS2 was horrendous, often dipping into the low teens whereas it maintains a rock solid 30 FPS in the remaster. In the case of Sleeping Dogs, it is a quality game which didn't sell that great in the previous generation for whatever reason. For a minimal cost they can reintroduce it to a new group of gamers who have never played it, on consoles which are currently lacking games.

The big thing they talked up in Doki Doki promotion are those personality tests, but they are pretty much just a tacked on side feature that doesn't tie into the gameplay at all. The actual gameplay is basically a variant of scribblenauts, you meet characters and then talk to people around them to find out their likes and dislikes in order to manipulate them into giving you gifts. Some give you gifts for making them happy and others try to bribe you with gifts to leave them alone when you treat them like shit. Rather than typing words to do things, you have the ability to summon a variety of different objects that you pick up as you play the game, close to a 150 summonables. Figuring out what object or what combination of objects is needed in order to solve the problem is the main gameplay.

I can see the good points of 'remastered' games (more titles, more exposure to great games, and gives devs a chance to learn programming for the new consoles), but it's still kind of annoying when you buy a new console and so many of the games are ones that you you played on the last console. Any day now I'm expecting to see a game from the same generation get remastered. It sounds like a joke, but I'd bet money that it will happen.

I can see the good points of 'remastered' games (more titles, more exposure to great games, and gives devs a chance to learn programming for the new consoles), but it's still kind of annoying when you buy a new console and so many of the games are ones that you you played on the last console. Any day now I'm expecting to see a game from the same generation get remastered. It sounds like a joke, but I'd bet money that it will happen.
Metro Redux is getting released on PC. The original titles were released on PC.

It already happened. The Hitman HD Collection includes Blood Money, an Xbox 360 game, though they didn't exactly remaster it, but they basically advertised it as such alongside two actual remasters.

Sound Of Thunder is not the worst movie that you'll ever see.  In fact, it's pretty fun to watch in the right mind frame.  I think Cheapy would love it.

"One day I will make a video, Wombat, detailing the editing of the podcast."

I call bullshit. Not gonna happen, Cheapy. That would take some kind of effort and we all know that just isn't your style. 

bread's done
Back