Batman: Assault on Arkham (Blu-ray+DVD+ Digital HD UltraViolet) (Steelbook) - Target Exclusive - $16.99 starting 8/12

Just a warning - this might possibly be the single worst DC animated film I've seen.  Batman is literally in it for less that 15 minutes, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Arkham franchise, despite being marketed as such.

Just a warning - this might possibly be the single worst DC animated film I've seen. Batman is literally in it for less that 15 minutes, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Arkham franchise, despite being marketed as such.
The words "false advertising" is in the first line of every review I've read haha. However, they did seem to enjoy the movie regardless.

The words "false advertising" is in the first line of every review I've read haha. However, they did seem to enjoy the movie regardless.
I've been seeing the same thing, it's not actually a Batman film but it is one of the best DCU animated features to date. The premise sounds better to me than all the Justice League ones.

Just a warning - this might possibly be the single worst DC animated film I've seen. Batman is literally in it for less that 15 minutes, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Arkham franchise, despite being marketed as such.
There's a lot of good reviews for it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Assault-Arkham-Blu-ray-Various/product-reviews/B00J8LXD56/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I haven't seen it yet, but I personally enjoy the DC animated movies more often than not and I always buy to support the studio to keep making them.

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. It's a nice change of pace from other DC animated films. I hope more future films get to showcase the lesser known heroes/villain/groups.

Just finished this.  Not a fan.  Minimal Spoilers ---  I knew going into it that it wasn't going to be a Batman movie, and instead that it would focus on the Suicide Squad, which I thought might have been cool, but it wasn't.  Problem is that the squad is boring.  I didn't t find them menacing, threatening, or bad-ass, they were kinda just there. Movie gave me no reason to believe these guys were special.  Harley and Deadshot are normally favorites but Harley came off as just a air-heady incompetent ditz and Deadshot was soooo boring.  Kept waiting for him to do something cool, but it didn't happen.  Plus, there's a few cringy scenes where he's looking at a picture of his daughter trying to make him sympathetic, but it comes off as forced.  Batman makes a few cameos, and they are actually cool, because he does something, but it's not enough to save the boredom.  

Before I watched it, I was going to buy the movie because the steelbook looks cool and it seemed like a good blind buy, but thankfully I watched it first so I'm definitely passing.  Highly suggest anyone interested in picking this up, to do the same and rent it before buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished this. Not a fan. Minimal Spoilers --- I knew going into it that it wasn't going to be a Batman movie, and instead that it would focus on the Suicide Squad, which I thought might have been cool, but it wasn't. Problem is that the squad is boring. I didn't t find them menacing, threatening, or bad-ass, they were kinda just there. Movie gave me no reason to believe these guys were special. Harley and Deadshot are normally favorites but Harley came off as just a air-heady incompetent ditz and Deadshot was soooo boring. Kept waiting for him to do something cool, but it didn't happen. Plus, there's a few cringy scenes where he's looking at a picture of his daughter trying to make him sympathetic, but it comes off as forced. Batman makes a few cameos, and they are actually cool, because he does something, but it's not enough to save the boredom.

Before I watched it, I was going to buy the movie because the steelbook looks cool and it seemed like a good blind buy, but thankfully I watched it first so I'm definitely passing. Highly suggest anyone interested in picking this up, to do the same and rent it before buying.
Totally agree with every word of this. Not to mention the really strange brief sex scene, genuinely terrible attempts at humor that fell completely flat, and the exceedingly boring script. Making it to the end was an utter chore.

That makes it a bad film? If anything there's been WAY too much Batman lately.... on the other hand a Suicide Squad film sounds great. If they called it Suicide Squad instead of Batman, I guarentee you sales would've been cut in half right there. Sad but true, it seems like anything that isn't Batman (or Superman) just doesn't sell. At any rate, Batman's absence is a plus in my book, as much as I enjoy a good Bat story, to say we've been oversaturated with it is a gross understatement.

I do know that DC's animated films HAVE been pretty shitty lately though. I know I didn't care for Justice League War or Son of Batman. Flashpoint Paradox was good for what it was, but it was way too rushed. At least Dark Knight Returns was good.

..... fuck, I can't decide if I should bite on this or not. With the positive reviews I'm leaning towards yes, but I usually try not to spend this much on these movies. Agh, this is a tough choice :whistle2:k

Last edited:
If you like steelbook case and you love DC movies then buy it

If you like steelbook case and you love DC movies then buy it
Like I said, the last couple DC movies have been pretty poor, and it seems like with a little bit of patience you can find DVD's of each of these movies at $5. I've enjoyed plenty like Year One, TDKR, the Green Lantern movies, Crisis on Two Earths, the Superman/Brainiac movie, Flashpoint, ect. But others, like Superman Doomsday, All Star Superman, Justice League War, Son of Batman, ect were pretty shitty. The Dark Knight Returns was the only one I saw fit to get in blu ray and even then it was still cheaper than this. I couldn't care less about steelbook packaging.

I don't know, based on those preferences would anybody have any recommendations for/against this movie?

If not, I think I am just gonna hold out for a sale on the DVD.

Last edited:
Like I said, the last couple DC movies have been pretty poor, and it seems like with a little bit of patience you can find DVD's of each of these movies at $5. I've enjoyed plenty like Year One, TDKR, the Green Lantern movies, Crisis on Two Earths, the Superman/Brainiac movie, Flashpoint, ect. But others, like Superman Doomsday, All Star Superman, Justice League War, Son of Batman, ect were pretty shitty. The Dark Knight Returns was the only one I saw fit to get in blu ray and even then it was still cheaper than this. I couldn't care less about steelbook packaging.

I don't know, based on those preferences would anybody have any recommendations for/against this movie?

If not, I think I am just gonna hold out for a sale on the DVD.
Then why are you in this thread just to troll

Last edited:
Then why are you in this thread just to troll
What's your problem? I listed some movies I liked and disliked and asked opinions on this new one.... hopefully someone with similar tastes could tell me what they thought. If not, it still doesn't hurt you for me to ask now does it?

All you said was "If you love DC movies buy it". No offense, but that's not helpful to anybody. Obviously this is a buy to DC fanboys. I think everybody else here who has seen these movies would agree there have been some good ones and some bad ones and based on the last couple of releases I'm not prepared to take a blind leap of faith for $17. The reviews I am seeing online are all over the board and half of them seem to be focused more on the absence of Batman (good or bad) than the actual movie. Even in this very thread, it's already been called "worst DC animated film", then "rad" a couple posts down, so seeking input from someone with similar tastes is just common sense isn't it?

So I don't think it's wrong to ask for a couple of other opinions..... what else is the reply option for? I'm sorry you seem to have an issue with that but I'd rather get some input before I rush out and piss away money on something where quality is a total unknown.

Last edited:
Well I went to the Target in Fairview Heights, IL at 11:30 & they were sold out of the Steelbook. Anyone know how many on average each Target got?

Well I went to the Target in Fairview Heights, IL at 11:30 & they were sold out of the Steelbook. Anyone know how many on average each Target got?
I wouldn't know counts, but it's in stock at every store near me. There were like 10 or 11 copies at the store I visited yesterday. Crazy that it sold out already.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know counts, but it's in stock at every store near me. There were like 10 or 11 copies at the store I visited yesterday. Crazy that it sold out already.
Target doesn't distinguish between Steelbook & regular in their inventory. Fairview Heights had 4 Blu's left but all normal. Seems like most stores only got 4 Steelbooks each.

Stupid people selling these on EBay for $27 piss me off as they're only making $1-2 profit at the most after sales tax at Target, shipping, & EBay/PayPal fees.

for me i watched it online an enjoy it enough i bought the blue ray it was a nice change them focusing more on the villain side, with batman more of a mysterious  threat their trying too avoid. versus him just kicking everyone ass an saving the day.

i enjoy the suicide squad an hope they do more featuring them an their stories. it a shame too here other post it was not as enjoyable for them as i was hoping it be a big hit too ensure more sequels.

one the DC movie i did not like but heard others enjoyed was son of batman,  the story just rub me the wrong way an felt forced.

Just a note, I don't know if the Son of Batman steelbook fiasco has anything to do with this, but it seems like they had substantially more steelbooks this time around. 

Bums me out a bit, since I couldn't get the SOB steelbook, but my local targets only had steelbook blurays. 

Just a note, I don't know if the Son of Batman steelbook fiasco has anything to do with this but it seems like they had substantially more steelbooks this time around.

Bums me out a bit, since I couldn't get the SOB steelbook, but my local targets only had steelbook blurays.
I still need the JL war steelbook Blu-ray

Last edited:
Just a note, I don't know if the Son of Batman steelbook fiasco has anything to do with this, but it seems like they had substantially more steelbooks this time around.

You seem to be the exception, most reports I've read in the overall Steelbook thread said 4 copies per store at max.

Can't believe I got the last one in Fenton, MO tonight. Went to Fairview Heights, IL during work lunch and they were sold out, this was before noon.

You seem to be the exception, most reports I've read in the overall Steelbook thread said 4 copies per store at max.

Can't believe I got the last one in Fenton, MO tonight. Went to Fairview Heights, IL during work lunch and they were sold out, this was before noon.
I went to two different stores today and both had 6+.

I got the next to last steelbook today around 2 PM, for Son of Batman there were 2 left after i took 1 but I can't remember when I went, might have been at night.

If anyone just wants to watch it I am giving away a UV code here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334311-chance-to-win-a-batman-assault-on-arkham-uv-code/

I  realized I've never watched a UV movie, so figured I'd give this one out for once.

Anyways, my store had 4, all in the backroom. Had them get me one. No Hercules so hit Walmart to grab it and Tarzan, then later on got Muppets at Target. Lots of movies this week, followed by new HeroClix today -.- My wallet is on fire.

I just have to know.... how much must everyone ignore you before it sinks into your skull that nobody is buying your lying crap? I can't believe someone's life is so empty that they'd resort to this.

Look, I know you are a minor (a young one at that) so I'm trying to be polite and not scar you for life..... but I've seen you here and on other sites. To say you are on the road to becoming a 40 year old virgin is an understatement son. If you are going to insist that you sit on a computer all day, even at the expense of your schooling (and let me stress to you ONE LAST TIME that you really shouldn't) you need to at least learn to have a better attitude and quit lying. If you can't do that, you really need to go someplace like 4Chan where you'll be with your own kind. I know you've already found most people on the other sites you frequent aren't accepting of you, and I know you are finding the same here. It's time to shut up or move on.

This is the last time I'm gonna try to help you. Everybody else constantly ignores you and I'm tired of trying to give you the benefit of the doubt simply because of your age (and most likely shifty parenting and home life), I'm not your parent and it's not my job to father you. From here on out you are on your own because I honestly don't know what else to do. But please son, for your sake, find someone to talk to and get help (IRL, not a stranger on the net).

Last edited:
Huh, can you tell me more about that figurine? Are we talking like Happy Meal quality, or is this something that would actually look nice on a bookshelf? I didn't even know this existed lol so I am wondering if it's worth the extra buck and a drive to Best Buy.

After talking with some others with similar tastes I'm inclined to swing by tomorrow evening and pick up the movie, but there's one thing I'm still not clear on. I got Arkham Origins on PS3 (came with a season pass so I will be playing the DLC as well), as well as the Arkham Origins game on 3DS. Aside from the multiplayer, I haven't gotten to either yet, but I do plan on jumping into the PS3 games story mode as soon as I finish Mass Effect 2. Anyways, I didn't realize this movie isn't a standalone story and that it takes place after Arkham Origins, so if I watch the movie will it spoil either of the games? Nobody else I talked to have actually played the Arkham games so I couldn't get a clear answer.

Last edited:
Huh, can you tell me more about that figurine? Are we talking like Happy Meal quality, or is this something that would actually look nice on a bookshelf? I didn't even know this existed lol so I am wondering if it's worth the extra buck and a drive to Best Buy.

After talking with some others with similar tastes I'm inclined to swing by tomorrow evening and pick up the movie, but there's one thing I'm still not clear on. I got Arkham Origins on PS3 (came with a season pass so I will be playing the DLC as well), as well as the Arkham Origins game on 3DS. Aside from the multiplayer, I haven't gotten to either yet, but I do plan on jumping into the PS3 games story mode as soon as I finish Mass Effect 2. Anyways, I didn't realize this movie isn't a standalone story and that it takes place after Arkham Origins, so if I watch the movie will it spoil either of the games? Nobody else I talked to have actually played the Arkham games so I couldn't get a clear answer.
There's a coda at the end of Arkham Origins that basically foreshadows this movie, specifically, the Suicide Squad. I haven't seen the film yet but it doesn't seem like a major spoiler to anything in the game.

If I see the film anytime soon I'll give you an update but I wouldn't be too worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
The figurine is only 2 or 3 inches tall. It's decently detailed given its size. Can't comment on the quality of the plastic since I've only seen it on-the-shelf at BB (opted for the Target Steelbook over the BB exclusive).

I want that Harley... fuck. I collect Harley Quinn stuff, maybe I'll be getting a second copy. Wonder if I can make it to Best Buy today...

BATMAN "ASSAULT ON ARKHAM" BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE UNB…: http://youtu.be/cZyOzTPBJno

Yesterday I checked online for the exclusive with figurine. About 5 closest BBY location were out of stock. Today they are all in stock. Are they having multiple shipments of this item?

I was going to get it but I don't have any of the other figurines. Figure probably won't look good just one on the shelf. I'm not about to start a new collection when I have tons other to collect. Went and got the Target steelbook instead.

I don’t know why all of you are bitching about the movie but I enjoyed it. It was something different for a change. The people who voiced HQ and Joker were pretty much dead on from their original voice actors. For a min I was like MH decided to come back as the Joker after all???

It was good to see the SS in action again. I have been waiting years for them to show up again ever since JLUs TFX episode. It's really too bad we didn't get more episodes with them.

Anyways here we go with flixster codes. I always have trouble with them ever since TDK returns part 1 had it. It's something funny between my flixster account and my vudu account.

Sheesh.  I ordered the Best Buy exclusive one and was glad to see they didn't ship it in just a bubble mailer, but when the UPS driver handed me a box that looked like an accordion my heart sank.

I called BBY's customer service and they told me the item could only be exchanged online if the disc was broken, and now, since their CS had me open the item to verify the condition of the disc, i'd have to drive to a store 35mi away to exchange it for the same item.

I definitely made a thread on their forums as their Forum CS seems to be leaps & bounds better than the idiots they have working the phones.   I guess worse case scenario I could sell the discs, keep the figure and buy the Target steelbook (if I can find one)

Sheesh. I ordered the Best Buy exclusive one and was glad to see they didn't ship it in just a bubble mailer, but when the UPS driver handed me a box that looked like an accordion my heart sank.

I called BBY's customer service and they told me the item could only be exchanged online if the disc was broken, and now, since their CS had me open the item to verify the condition of the disc, i'd have to drive to a store 35mi away to exchange it for the same item.

I definitely made a thread on their forums as their Forum CS seems to be leaps & bounds better than the idiots they have working the phones. I guess worse case scenario I could sell the discs, keep the figure and buy the Target steelbook (if I can find one)
File a claim with UPS too. Clearly the package was damaged in shipping and not handled correctly.

bread's done
Back