CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
A few that get me:

Ninja Gay-den

Mario as Merry-oh

Smash Bros "Me-lee"

Guile as Gwee-Lee

Not really a mispronunciation but my mom & dad would call any video game a "Nintendo game" even if it was a Sega or Sony product.

"You still playing that Nintendo game?"

"Mom, I'm playing Resident Evil. It's on Playstation, not Nintendo."

"Whatever, it's all the same thing."

I've never heard someone say Guile like that, but that's a funny one.

For me, it doesn't really bother me too much, but a decent amount of people I know pronounce Ocarina as "Oh-carina" instead of "Ah-carina"

Also, Deus Ex as "Deuce Ex" or "Dooze Ex"

There is always the little nuances that can bug me.

I'm a bit of a grammar nerd as well so it hurts even more.

Off the top of my head...

Similar to Gaiden, Raiden isn't "Ray-den", it's "Rye-den". That's a super common mispronunciation.

Also... Gradius rhymes with gladius. It's not "Gray-dius" 

This one no one can really be faulted for: In Japan, the z is silent in BlazBlue.

Off the top of my head...

Similar to Gaiden, Raiden isn't "Ray-den", it's "Rye-den". That's a super common mispronunciation.

Also... Gradius rhymes with gladius. It's not "Gray-dius"

This one no one can really be faulted for: In Japan, the z is silent in BlazBlue.
Raiden varies.

In Mortal Kombat it's Rayden and in Metal Gear it's Ryeden

Last edited by a moderator:
I never knew anyone said this before watching Electric Playground the other day, but SNES is Es En Ee Es, NOT Sness. I guess not really a mispronunciation and more deciding to change something into a word that isnt.

I never knew anyone said this before watching Electric Playground the other day, but SNES is Es En Ee Es, NOT Sness. I guess not really a mispronunciation and more deciding to change something into a word that isnt.
I say Snees. It's just easier then saying the whole S.N.E.S.

When I was a kid and SNES came out, everyone just called it Super Nintendo. NES was then referred to as "old Nintendo" or "regular Nintendo."

Also, not really a mispronunciation, but people calling controllers "paddles"

Watching Sony/Bungie's Gamescom presentation.  Hearing the guy say "bee-ta" 50 times in 3 minutes.  I'm sure one of you guys will tell me that's the "right" way to say it...but it still grinds on my ears.

Wow, no Ryu yet?

Rye-you

Re-you
I was thinking of mentioning "Rye-you", but it just always slipped my mind to actually post :razz:

Have never heard "Re-you", though.

Also, seconding what 62t said (the mispronunciation I most often hear of that is "Whys"). It bugs me even more, however, to see "Ys" written as "Y's". Also bugs me whenever I see "Square Enix" hyphenated, especially when a game journalist does it.

Watching Sony/Bungie's Gamescom presentation. Hearing the guy say "bee-ta" 50 times in 3 minutes. I'm sure one of you guys will tell me that's the "right" way to say it...but it still grinds on my ears.
That's the British way of saying it. "Bay-ta" is the American way.

Whys? :lol:

I don't really have any, but there are two names that I've disagreed with people on. I say "eye-co" but most people "echo" (for ICO) and I say "gran-dia", most say "grand-ia" (for Grandia).

I actually didn't know Ys was pronounced "EESS" for the longest time until someone on CAG corrected me. I used to say "Whys." Now I correct my friends when they say it and try to sound as smug as possible when I do it.

I knew Ys was pronounced "ease" due to my cousin being a big fan of Wanderers From Ys III on the Super Nintendo back in the day.

One pronunciation that bugs me is Forza. The reason for this is that most people try to correct me, claiming it's pronounced as it's spelled. It's "fort-za".

I don't know if anyone else has heard this but. Super Nintendo is abbreviated s.n.e.s. Then people try to shorten the abbreviation to snees. Like damn dude ur already being lazy saying s.n.e.s. U gotta shorten that s**t to lmao.
Real story. A found out a fellow employee played old school games like I did and he kept telling me he loved RPGs especially snees games. I had know clue he was referring to Super Nintendo, I thought he was playing Japanese RPGs because that was the first I've ever heard it called that. He referred to it as snees for a week til I found out it was s.n.e.s.

Ok that really bugged me I guess .

I can pretty much handle any other mispronounced or abbreviations

I was thinking of mentioning "Rye-you", but it just always slipped my mind to actually post :razz:

Have never heard "Re-you", though.

Also, seconding what 62t said (the mispronunciation I most often hear of that is "Whys"). It bugs me even more, however, to see "Ys" written as "Y's". Also bugs me whenever I see "Square Enix" hyphenated, especially when a game journalist does it.
If you watch any baseball, Dodgers pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu's last name is pronounced Re-you.

http://www.gamesradar.com/the-most-mispronounced-game-names-ever/

Never have heard anyone say Shen-moo as Shen-moo-eh.
That was interesting. Found it funny that Gaiares was on the list considering that the publicity campaign for the game involved a t-shirt with the pronunciation - http://www.texturemonkey.com/HCG/blog/gaiares_(19).jpg

If you watch any baseball, Dodgers pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu's last name is pronounced Re-you.
For clarification, is that "Ray-you" or "Ree-you"? Don't follow baseball, but the correct pronunciation of the Street Fighter character is the latter.

I thought of another one. People calling Tidus from FFX "Tea-dus". It's wrong. That's a real English name, and it's pronounced "Tie-dus", know someone with the name. So hearing it wrong hurts the ears. I haven't played Kingdom Hearts 2 in a long time, but I remember it "Tie-dus" there. KH2.5 Remix HD is coming out, so I'm sure that'll back that up "Tie-dus".

Maybe the JP had the "Tea" sound in mind since his name is Tida. But the localization changed his name to Tidus, so now it's different.

Also goes with the Aeris vs Aerith from FF7. Different names because of the localization, don't give yourself a lisp on purpose!

I thought of another one. People calling Tidus from FFX "Tea-dus". It's wrong. That's a real English name, and it's pronounced "Tie-dus", know someone with the name. So hearing it wrong hurts the ears. I haven't played Kingdom Hearts 2 in a long time, but I remember it "Tie-dus" there. KH2.5 Remix HD is coming out, so I'm sure that'll back that up "Tie-dus".

Maybe the JP had the "Tea" sound in mind since his name is Tida. But the localization changed his name to Tidus, so now it's different.

Also goes with the Aeris vs Aerith from FF7. Different names because of the localization, don't give yourself a lisp on purpose!
Actually, it is "tea-dus." That's how it's pronounced in Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts.

"Latter"  now that's one word that needs to disappear from the English dictionary/vocabulary.  I hardly ever hear it spoken and when I do hear it, I get the same feeling as people do with Ryu, S.N.E.S., and Raiden combined.

Don't know anything about dissidia, but I remember Kingdom Hearts 2 pronouncing it correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MurmenCSIOI

Tidus' voiceactor says "Tee-dus" at 1:08. Wakka says "Tee-dus" in Kingdom Hearts. He is called "Tee-dus" in Dissidia.

He is called "Tie-dus" once in Kingdom Hearts 2.

I thought it was Tie-dus becuse he was named after the tides since FFX has this general theme of water.

Kinda like how a lot of the MCs in FF are named after forces or elements of nature. (Cloud, Terra, Lightning, Squall, etc)

I thought it was Tie-dus becuse he was named after the tides since FFX has this general theme of water.

Kinda like how a lot of the MCs in FF are named after forces or elements of nature. (Cloud, Terra, Lightning, Squall, etc)
His name has an interesting background, but I don't recall enough to explain it. Something about sun, IIRC.

Here's a good explanation (and I imagine the final straw is that they pronounce it "Tea-dus" in the audio drama on the HD collection.

Since Tidus is never directly referred to by name in audible dialogue, instead being referred to using impersonal pronouns (you, him, new guy, brudda), the pronunciation of his name among fans is sometimes unclear, although the expected Japanese pronunciation is Tee-das/Tee-dasu. This was confirmed in Kingdom Hearts, which features him in a cameo, and was also confirmed in an interview with James Arnold Taylor who did Tidus's English voice. Tidus's name is pronounced Tee-Dus [tiːdʌs] in English-language trailers and commercials released prior to the game.[1]

In Kingdom Hearts II, although Tidus doesn't appear, Selphie mentions him, pronouncing his name as Tie-dus [taɪːdʌs]. Though ostensibly unrelated to either, the pronunciation of his name among fans may be affected by its resemblance to the English word "tide" and the given name "Titus". In Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn a character mistakes the name "Titan" with "Tidus". However, in the English release of Dissidia Final Fantasy, all characters in-game refer to him as Tee-dus. More recently, he was referred to as Tee-dus in the English version of Final Fantasy X -Will-.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Tidus

I don't care about voice actors trying to pronounce it like Japanese.

At 0:20 it's "Tie-dus" and Wakka (and it's not Wakka and his silly accent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nacbhfnzZg0

The Japanese name and pronunciation is Tida, I agree. But I don't see anyone calling Cloud from FF7 "Kuraudo", because that's his name actually. If the localization team localizes names to English, you can't just change the way to pronounce them and say it's right. So "John" becomes "Joe-Han" because I say so?

I don't care about voice actors trying to pronounce it like Japanese.

At 0:20 it's "Tie-dus" and Wakka (and it's not Wakka and his silly accent)

The Japanese name and pronunciation is Tida, I agree. But I don't see anyone calling Cloud from FF7 "Kuraudo", because that's his name actually. If the localization team localizes names to English, you can't just change the way to pronounce them and say it's right. So "John" becomes "Joe-Han" because I say so?
Did you miss the part where I mentioned the Kingdom Hearts 2 pronunciation as the only verbal instance of "Tie-dus?" How about the part where the new audio drama on the HD collection pronounces it "Tea-dus?"

And speaking to the voice actor thing, do you really think he wouldn't know? Do you imagine Square called him up and said "Hey, we have a protagonist we'd like you to voice, but we're not sure how too pronounce his name."? Of course not. He learned to pronounce the name from the team overseeing the voice work.

Yuna's voice actress also pronounced it "Tea-dus" in an interview.

The point stands that it's not a mispronunciation.

bread's done
Back