Disney Blu rays, The Thread.

Why do we need a thread completely dedicated to Disney?

Disney release doesn't really go on sale as much as other blu rays release. On top of this, some releases are subject to a process known as the "Disney Vault".

What is the Disney Vault?

The "Disney Vault" is the term used by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment for its policy of putting home video releases of Walt Disney Animation Studios's animated features on moratorium and getting moved to Target. Each Disney film is available for purchase for a limited time, after which it is put "in the vault" and not made available for several years until it is released again.

The Walt Disney Company itself states that this process is done to both control their market and to allow Disney films to be fresh for new generations of young children. A side effect of the moratorium process is the fact that videos and DVDs of Disney films placed on moratorium become collectables, sold in stores and at auction websites such as eBay for sums in excess of their original suggested retail price. The practice also has made the Disney films a prime target for counterfeit DVD manufacturers. - wikia

Which movies are subjected to be a part of the Disney Vault cycle?

Currently, these are the movies for the Diamond Edition cycle. There are speculation of new titles being added due to their success(Frozeon, Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph). Note that when the main release is put in the vault, the sequel and spin off also goes with it.

• Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
  • Pinocchio (1940)
  • Bambi (1942)
  • Cinderella (1950)
  • Peter Pan (1953)
  • Lady and the Tramp (1955)
  • Sleeping Beauty (1959)
  • One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
  • The Jungle Book (1967)
  • The Little Mermaid (1989)
  • Beauty and the Beast (1991)
  • Aladdin (1992)
  • The Lion King (1994)
Disappeared to Vault

In Vault/Still Available

Currently Available

Upcoming /Yet to be Released

Should I wait for a price drop of these Disney Vault movies?

It's recommended that you get them soon as possible if you are a collector. First printing of Disney films come with a slipcover and 3D release comes with a lenticular cover. These are usually not available in later printings(within months). Even if you aren't a collector these slips are pretty high quality and is nice to have.

​
Upcoming Blu Ray Releases
 ​
  Disney Animated Features and related films:

***Sleeping Beauty: Diamond Edition - October 7, 2014

• Storybook and CD@Target $24.99        
    Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas / Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas - November 4, 2014

***101 Dalmatians: Diamond Edition - February 3, 2015

***Aladdin: Diamond Edition - October 6, 2015 (Rumored Date)

***Pinocchio: Diamond Edition - February 2, 2016 (Rumored Date)

*** = Vault Releases

Pixar films:

N/A

Other animated films:

Kiki's Delivery Service - November 18, 2014

The Wind Rises - November 18, 2014

Princess Mononoke - November 18, 2014

Live-action films:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - September 9, 2014

• Steelbook@Bestbuy $29.99
  • Behind the Lens(Digital)@Target $22.99
  • 5 Alternate Slipcovers@Walmart $29.96
   Million Dollar Arm - October 7, 2014

Maleficent - November 4, 2014

This post will be updated as necessary. Everything above are for the US version of release. Anyway, feel free to discuss all things Disney blu rays from price drops to retail exclusives!

Last edited by a moderator:
Notable Current Deals
 ​

Disney Animated Features and related films:

The Lion King 3D/BLU/DVD/DC $49.99 @Amazon *In Vault

Peter Pan BLU/DVD/DC $40.35 @Amazon  (10% off) *In Vault

Peter Pan BLU/DVD $28.43 @Amazon (29% off) *In Vault

Peter Pan: Return to Never Land BLU/DVD/DC $19.96 @Amazon (25%off) *In Vault

The Little Mermaid 3D/BLU/DVD/DC $28.99 @Amazon (42% off)

Cinderella BLU/DVD/DC $32.27 @Amazon (28% off)

The Jungle Book BLU/DVD/DC  $25.69 @Amazon (36% off)

Frozen BLU/DVD/DC $24.96 @Amazon (45% off)

Tarzan $17.99 @Amazon (40% off)

Hercules $17.99 @Amazon (40% off)

Pixar films:

Up BLU/DVD/DC $27.38 @Amazon (41% off)

Finding Nemo 3D/BLU/DVD/DC $26.99 @Amazon (46% off)

Monsters, Inc. 3D/BLU/DVD/DC $29.98 @Amazon (40% off)

Toy Story 3D/BLU/DVD/DC $29.98 @Amazon (40% off)

Toy Story 2 3D/BLU/DVD/DC $32.95 @Amazon (34% off)

Toy Story 3 3D/BLU/DVD/DC $29.96 @Amazon (40% off)

Cars 2 3D/BLU/DVD/DC $29.13 @Amazon (40% off)

Other animated films:

Live-action films:

Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty both have had releases as well. I guess it depends if you want to distinguish from the uber diamond super special editions, but that could get a little tedious with re-releases and what not (of which, Beauty and the Beast has already had one when the 3D movie came out).

That becomes an even bigger PITA when you incorporate Pixar with Cars, Toy Story, etc.

The Diamond Edition stuff is really annoying. I mean, movies like Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty had __th Anniversary editions already. But then for movies like Tangled...which had a 4 disc 3D release...it just really feels like overkill. How much stuff is really getting added to these movies?

I'm confused, does this thread cover sales or is it just some generic "upcoming releases/vaults" thread?  And if it's the latter do why do we need it here?  Doesn't the Disney Wiki cover release/pull dates in detail?

Anyways Best Buy seems to have a sale on a lot of 3D Disney/Pixar movies including all the Cars & Monsters movies, Finding Nemo, Wreck it Ralph, Up, Little Mermaid, ect around $27 each.  Not sure how good these deals actually are but they each seem a hair cheaper than they are on Amazon, and you can stack the $10 off $100 coupon retailmenot has 

Last edited:
Thanks, OP. It might be worth mentioning that Amazon is the only retailer with The Lion King in stock (3D version). No one has the sequels in stock, so it's third party sellers only.

http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Four-Disc-Diamond-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B004WDRT1Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1408542621&sr=1-1&keywords=lion+king+3d

Maybe the second post can be used to highlight specific Disney BD "deals"? (I'll use quotes since there's been a lot of discussion about Disney MSRP being overpriced to begin with)

I'm confused, does this thread cover sales or is it just some generic "upcoming releases/vaults" thread? And if it's the latter do why do we need it here? Doesn't the Disney Wiki cover release/pull dates in detail?

Anyways Best Buy seems to have a sale on a lot of 3D Disney/Pixar movies including all the Cars & Monsters movies, Finding Nemo, Wreck it Ralph, Up, Little Mermaid, ect around $27 each. Not sure how good these deals actually are but they each seem a hair cheaper than they are on Amazon, and you can stack the $10 off $100 coupon retailmenot has
Yup. Sales, exclusives, vault, all things Disney. These info are covered elsewhere but so are deals in general such as slickdeals and bluray.com. I'm just trying to make it easy to look for the information for fellow cag users.

@WingsDJY

I reserved the second post for things like that. The second post will be for current deals and yes this will only cover Blu rays and not DVDs unless it is a combo pack.

Peter Pan is $28.43, in stock from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Two-Disc-Diamond-Blu-ray-Packaging/dp/B00A0MJA1I/

Some other random items:

The non-animated movies are starting to drop their DVD copies when they're released in combo packs, which was a trend started by Thor 2: The Dark World.   Captain America: The Winter Soldier seems to be continuing the trend from what we're seeing with the pre-release info.

Digital copies moving forward will not easily redeem on iTunes, as Disney is pushing Disney Movies Anywhere on iOS devices.  This started with Frozen, though any existing digital copies you have redeemed via Disney Movie Rewards automatically shows up in Disney Movies Anywhere, as do any ones you have on iTunes.  If the movie didn't come with a digital copy, it doesn't show up in DMA at all.   The digital copy does seem to redeem a number of places for Android devices, as the Frozen digital copy would redeem on Target Ticket, TRU's streaming system, Amazon Instant Video and Google Play, from what I remember.  Redeeming it on Amazon generates a gift card code that you use to buy the digital copy on Amazon.

Disney Movies Anywhere is actually quite a nice movement in my opinion since I am limited in space.

Digital copies moving forward will not easily redeem on iTunes, as Disney is pushing Disney Movies Anywhere on iOS devices. This started with Frozen, though any existing digital copies you have redeemed via Disney Movie Rewards automatically shows up in Disney Movies Anywhere, as do any ones you have on iTunes. If the movie didn't come with a digital copy, it doesn't show up in DMA at all. The digital copy does seem to redeem a number of places for Android devices, as the Frozen digital copy would redeem on Target Ticket, TRU's streaming system, Amazon Instant Video and Google Play, from what I remember. Redeeming it on Amazon generates a gift card code that you use to buy the digital copy on Amazon.
Man…That kind of sucks, especially since iTunes and the upcoming iOS8 just added support for bonus features with digital movies. I mean, DMA is well designed and all (I only use it on the iPhone), but one of the real boons IMO was being able to access the movies from within Apple's ecosystem OR the DMA app. Being compelled to use DMA takes some of the shine off it, but it's still a good system and DMA is the first digital movie system to help me see the value of owning digital copies in addition to my physical media. Before it was introduced I could care less.

I picked up Bedknobs and Broomsticks last week. It still came with an iTunes digital copy, but it's a bit convoluted to get it. It automatically gets added to your iTunes cloud when you register it with Disney Movies Anywhere, but you have to physically click on the title in iTunes to download a hard copy.

Man…That kind of sucks, especially since iTunes and the upcoming iOS8 just added support for bonus features with digital movies. I mean, DMA is well designed and all (I only use it on the iPhone), but one of the real boons IMO was being able to access the movies from within Apple's ecosystem OR the DMA app. Being compelled to use DMA takes some of the shine off it, but it's still a good system and DMA is the first digital movie system to help me see the value of owning digital copies in addition to my physical media. Before it was introduced I could care less.
Digital copies prior to Frozen seem to work OK with getting the iTunes copy as well as the DMA copy, though I wish it wasn't iOS only, your DMR account has the same movies registered to it, so they could certainly use that for an Android app than iTunes for copy checking. For Android, I just get it on Amazon and I'm able to watch it on iOS as well as Android, plus smart TV/viewing devices that support Amazon.

This is the same was as UV is in a number of ways, though getting UV copies registered is sometimes a PITA depending on the studio.

I picked up Bedknobs and Broomsticks last week. It still came with an iTunes digital copy, but it's a bit convoluted to get it. It automatically gets added to your iTunes cloud when you register it with Disney Movies Anywhere, but you have to physically click on the title in iTunes to download a hard copy.
I think that's by design when they don't provide the digital copy on the DVD disc or a separate disc, though that's been that way for a while, from what I've been seeing as I go through my movies and add in the digital copies to my various accounts.

With respects to 101 Dalmatians (or any other Disney release), are the transfers for these generally the same as what the UK versions are that we're released a few years back? Wasn't sure if it was worth double dipping or not as I already have the import.

Same with Aladdin. Get it now as an import or wait for the diamond edition when it drops down the road? Was never sure of the V/A quality on imports VS domestic releases... (btw, love this thread!)

With respects to 101 Dalmatians (or any other Disney release), are the transfers for these generally the same as what the UK versions are that we're released a few years back? Wasn't sure if it was worth double dipping or not as I already have the import.

Same with Aladdin. Get it now as an import or wait for the diamond edition when it drops down the road? Was never sure of the V/A quality on imports VS domestic releases... (btw, love this thread!)
I doubt they'd do anything different from the UK version. The differences are probably more extras, nicer packaging, the digital copy, and an interactive menu. And probably the original audio track as well.

So the only Disney animated diamond films in 3D are Little Mermaid and The Lion King?

Beauty and the Beast. Also, Aladdin most likely in Oct '15. Pretty much just the 4 major films from the Disney Renaissance era.
I'm not sure we'll see Aladdin in 3D. Lion King and Beauty in the Beast were re-released to theaters in 3D. Rumor has it that Disney planned to do the same thing for Little Mermaid, however, low ticket sales on the other movies caused them to just do a home media release. At this point, Disney doesn't seem as interested in 3D, so I'd be surprised to see Aladdin get the treatment (unless they already put the work into it a few years ago and have just been sitting on it).

While I don't care for most of Disney's stuff I've always had a soft spot for Aladdin (the first movie, not the crappy follow ups).  If the 3D version does hit in October can we expect any good deals?  And BF sales?  I'm still not willing to go much above the $20 mark, $25 maybe, if only because I have a particular fondness for this one movie.

In the meantime, someone told me this morning that Disney/Pixar are re-releasing the Incredibles and Ratatouille in 3D.  Both were decent movies but damn I would kill for a 3Dized "Wall-E", that movie was really something special.

Last edited:
While I don't care for most of Disney's stuff I've always had a soft spot for Aladdin (the first movie, not the crappy follow ups). If the 3D version does hit in October can we expect any good deals? And BF sales? I'm still not willing to go much above the $20 mark, $25 maybe, if only because I have a particular fondness for this one movie.
I feel ya rcerboss, especially since a lot of these movie deals with the voice actors/actresses don't include royalty deals as part of the contract.

Cinderella and other old ones definitely because most of the people in those productions are long dead. That's part of the reason why I don't understand Disneys costs on these catalog titles being over $20. They're making money hand over fist on these titles since the only real cost is manufacturing the discs along with the packaging. Yes, yes argue about the restorations with me(any of you I mean) but that's a controversial matter and one time cost(seeing the preview trailer for "Beauty and the Beast" on another Blu...butchered as I saw it in theaters).

If you really want Aladdin now you can import the Mexican version I think or it might be that it's out in Europe already. It's one of the two and it could be comparable to around $20.

Saddest thing about Disney is that they're relying on their past glory for us to get any hand-drawn titles. After "Princess and the Frog" flopped they won't make another. Bloody shame if you ask me.

Saddest thing about Disney is that they're relying on their past glory for us to get any hand-drawn titles. After "Princess and the Frog" flopped they won't make another. Bloody shame if you ask me.
The success of Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, and Tangled will make it hard to justify going back to hand-drawn. Not to mention the success of Pixar and Dreamworks CG movies.

Princess and the frog flopped for two major reasons, one was bad advertising, and the second was that it opened the same weekend as a major movie (it was either one of the twilights, or harry potters), or released too close.

I'm not sure we'll see Aladdin in 3D. Lion King and Beauty in the Beast were re-released to theaters in 3D. Rumor has it that Disney planned to do the same thing for Little Mermaid, however, low ticket sales on the other movies caused them to just do a home media release. At this point, Disney doesn't seem as interested in 3D, so I'd be surprised to see Aladdin get the treatment (unless they already put the work into it a few years ago and have just been sitting on it).
It was when they re-released Monsters Inc in 3D into the theaters and generated low ticket sales that they yanked plans to put Little Mermaid into the theatres. I still picked up the 3D combo pack when it came out and it's still available, at least from Amazon.

I think we'll get Aladdin in 3D when it releases domestically, as it's currently available in Europe as a 2D release. If not, then it'll be a recycle of the current 2D release.

Not sure if this belongs here or if anyone is interested...but I just ordered The Rescuers Two Film Combo Pack and The Great Mouse Detective from Target for $13.89 each. Both Blu-Ray Combo packs, seemed like a better deal than anything I could find elsewhere. They also had Alice in Wonderland for the same price, probably should have got that too.

Rescuers http://www.target.com/p/rescuers-35th-anniversary-edition-the-rescuers-down-under-3-discs-blu-ray-dvd-w-widescreen/-/A-14155255#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=rescuers

Great Mouse Detective http://www.target.com/p/the-great-mouse-detective-blu-ray-widescreen/-/A-14132436#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=great+mouse+detective

Alice in Wonderland http://www.target.com/p/alice-in-wonderland-60th-anniversary-edition-2-discs-blu-ray-dvd/-/A-13154086#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=alice+in+wonderland

I never saw princess and the frog, thoughts on the film ? And how's the 3d for the older films like lion king like ?
Princess and the Frog is borderline AMAZING, easily one of the best Disney movies ever made. Like a poster said above, it was really a victim of Godawful marketing that really didn't represent what kind of film it was (like Galaxy Quest, IMO). Any chance it had of word of mouth carrying it to a greater box office (ala Frozen was) was KILLED by a little film called Avatar released the next week.

Princess and the frog is worth it for the music alone.  (the movie itself is really good, too, though).  I love Dig a little Deeper, Friends on the Other Side, When we're human a little less so, and Ma Belle Evangeline is by an far one of my favorite love songs of all time.  I also liked Almost there, too, it's just not as much a favorite of mine, as the others.  BTW, don't go watch a video of Ma Belle unless it has the full video, it doesn't mean anything without the video, without it it just sounds like a sappy love song.  Also, should note that this is one of the few times you'll get to hear Jim Cummings sing, and he's not voicing Tigger, or Pooh.  I have a feeling that that song wasn't originally in the film, and one day they overheard Jim Cummings singing a random song to Evangeline (in the character's voice), and they said "We have to put this in the movie"

Sadly, there was a string of years there when disney kept releasing their movies within a week or so of a huge hollywood release.  Bolt was overshadowed by Twilight, Tangled by Harry Potter 7 pt 1,  Winnie the Pooh by Harry potter 7 pt 2 (though I don't think even the studio expected that movie to do amazingly, I think it was mainly made to please fans), and I even bet Wreck-it ralph (though it and Tangled did well) would've done better if it hadn't opened a week before Skyfall.

AFAIK nothing has been confirmed yet but Guardians of the Galaxy is supposed to come out on December 9th.

I haven't actually seen it yet, but from the previews it looks.... childish?  Not sure if that's the right word.  It looks like it's a movie aimed solely at children, unlike something like Up or the Monsters movies, where it is obviously still aimed at children but clearly some focus was made in speaking to adults.

I don't know.... maybe it's all the censorship?  That crap drives me crazy.  Don't have somebody shoot a bird if you are just going to censor it.  Likewise, don't have what's supposed to be some tough intergalactic prison guard calling people "Aholes".... it takes me out of the experience and not only makes me aware that I'm watching a movie, but that I'm watching a children's movie.

Thoughts?  I'm not interested in spoilers but is the movie even worth checking out?

Last edited:
The movie was awesome, but you'll refuse to buy it since it'll be $60 for the 3D Blu.
You're so damn clever, that "joke" is even funnier now that you've told it for the millionth time :dunce:

AFAIK nothing has been confirmed yet but Guardians of the Galaxy is supposed to come out on December 9th.

I haven't actually seen it yet, but from the previews it looks.... childish? Not sure if that's the right word. It looks like it's a movie aimed solely at children, unlike something like Up or the Monsters movies, where it is obviously still aimed at children but clearly some focus was made in speaking to adults.

I don't know.... maybe it's all the censorship? That crap drives me crazy. Don't have somebody shoot a bird if you are just going to censor it. Likewise, don't have what's supposed to be some tough intergalactic prison guard calling people "Aholes".... it takes me out of the experience and not only makes me aware that I'm watching a movie, but that I'm watching a children's movie.

Thoughts? I'm not interested in spoilers but is the movie even worth checking out?
I wouldn't call it 'childish', but it definitely has an intentional campy/cheesy charm to it. It's well worth seeing.

bread's done
Back