Megaman Battle Network 5 Double Team and Dragon Quest V Hand of the Heavenly Bride DS $24.99 at Gamestop. Reprint.

Hmm...my 2 closest locations don't have any copies.  Never played the previous games, do I need to play them in order?  Same with Mega Man Star Force series order matter?

So it looks like Gamestop has reprinted another game. This thing never appeared anywhere near me, and now practically every location has it.

It's $24.99. If you can get it complete, it's a pretty good deal. The birthday coupon or a B2G1 makes it even better.

http://www.gamestop.com/ds/games/mega-man-battle-network-5-double-team/39439

It appears they also reprinted Mega Man Star Force 3 - Black Ace.

Yes its a reprint. Gamestop has a secret underground printing facility in the wymoning mountains where they manufacturer the game plastic cases, print the stickers for the game, machines to encode the games chip, assemble it all, have a team of lawyers that negotiate the licensing of said products from the companies that own the rights and the developers who made the games originally and so on. Just so they can reprint an old game for a defunct system that would only appeal to a small percentage of gamers, all so they can make almost no money off of it. Because as we all know every single gamestop stocks in its stores and online that are out of print "must be reprints" because there is no way possible for them to have those games otherwise unless they actually made them themselves.

6eb505263f8d4154daaf540ccfc288ab.jpg

Yes its a reprint. Gamestop has a secret underground printing facility in the wymoning mountains where they manufacturer the game plastic cases, print the stickers for the game, machines to encode the games chip, assemble it all, have a team of lawyers that negotiate the licensing of said products from the companies that own the rights and the developers who made the games originally and so on. Just so they can reprint an old game for a defunct system that would only appeal to a small percentage of gamers, all so they can make almost no money off of it. Because as we all know every single gamestop stocks in its stores and online that are out of print "must be reprints" because there is no way possible for them to have those games otherwise unless they actually made them themselves.

https://games.yahoo.com/news/needs-good-old-games-gamestop-170023206.html

Gamestop has been doing this since the PS2 days when they worked with Namco to reprint Xenosaga III and Tecmo to reprint Fatal Frame. This is nothing new for them.

If you got one of the "reprint" games you'd know you're incorrect.

I have this game in my collection for years and it still SEALED. I think i paid $10 while back.  I can't believe it getting RARE.  :)  NO One buy Old DS game for $25 (Only Cart) unless is POKEMON :)  

I ordered star force 3 black ace from their site last week and it came complete with the case without a gba cart holder...wonder why they bothered to reprint these 2 can't imagine the demand being very high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...my 2 closest locations don't have any copies. Never played the previous games, do I need to play them in order? Same with Mega Man Star Force series order matter?
Battle Network has quite a bit of continuity. You'll be half lost jumping in at 5.

At least no one has said that this "isn't a reprint, Gamestop just found all of these copies in their warehouse again" yet.

Think they reprinted chrono trigger ds also. All my gamestops around me have complete copies.

Both Battle Network 5 and Star Force 3 Black Ace were complete (or at least in the original case) at my local store. Today was the first time seeing them there.

Dude, please shut the fuck up, all you ever do is troll and it's funny that you spend a good portion of your life doing it. :rofl:

I have this game in my collection for years and it still SEALED. I think i paid $10 while back. I can't believe it getting RARE. :) NO One buy Old DS game for $25 (Only Cart) unless is POKEMON :)
You would be surprised what people go after once things go "rare." Do you remember My Japanese Coach? I couldn't believe some of the prices that game was was fetching at one point. The DS had a lot of good games but a lot of people skipped the boat or jumped on the 3DS, that's when I noticed a lot of other titles getting a littler harder to come by.

Both Battle Network 5 and Star Force 3 Black Ace were complete (or at least in the original case) at my local store. Today was the first time seeing them there.
Same here. My store also had complete copies of Kirby's Mass Attack & Ghost Trick. I bought Ghost Trick and it looks brand-new, even has the Nintendo safety & warning pamphlet in it. Not saying it's necessarily a reprint too, just throwing that out there since it IS also a Capcom DS game.

Think they reprinted chrono trigger ds also. All my gamestops around me have complete copies.
Cool, a friend of mine loves that game. It was definitely memorable that's for sure. Not really that much of a role playing gamer.

I don't mind reprints, especially of games worth the time. Well, maybe the price is kind of high $25-$60 on them.

Hmm, I'm tempted...

I played 1 and 6 and enjoyed both.  They're RPGs with an interesting battle system.  Not really much like Megaman, but still good games.

I skipped most of them though only because they came out so often at the time (until they completely stopped making them lol)

Picked up both Megaman Battle Network and Starforce. They didn't have them out on the floor but the employee was kind enough to check and they had both games complete and mint in the drawer.

Very happy used both birthday coupons and rewards as well.

Same here. My store also had complete copies of Kirby's Mass Attack & Ghost Trick. I bought Ghost Trick and it looks brand-new, even has the Nintendo safety & warning pamphlet in it. Not saying it's necessarily a reprint too, just throwing that out there since it IS also a Capcom DS game.
Ghost Trick had a reprint years ago. Amazon got in a bunch of copies around the $20 price point IIRC.

Did any of these reprints come with the manual?! I got my copy yesterday at Gamestop and it had the box, cart, and safety pages but no manual.

This isn't exactly a "reprint" - they bulk purchased them from SquareEnix who had a ton of these in their warehouses along with a few other RPGs and such. GS purchases them for auction prices from SE and then sells them "used". They've done this several times now.

Did any of these reprints come with the manual?! I got my copy yesterday at Gamestop and it had the box, cart, and safety pages but no manual.
Battle Network 5 didn't come with the manual but has all of the other inserts. Black Ace is fully complete with manual and inserts.

This isn't exactly a "reprint" - they bulk purchased them from SquareEnix who had a ton of these in their warehouses along with a few other RPGs and such. GS purchases them for auction prices from SE and then sells them "used". They've done this several times now.
Excuse my ignorance, but where is this "SE" and how might an entrepreneurial individual gain access to bid against Gamestop?

Excuse my ignorance, but where is this "SE" and how might an entrepreneurial individual gain access to bid against Gamestop?
SE = Square Enix. ;) By "auction" prices I meant they get them for pennies on the dollar by bulk purchases - there may be competitive bids by retailers(?), I'm not sure. I've not been privy to the knowledge about exactly how the deal between GS & SE goes - just that it does and that GS purchases several hundred (to thousands sometimes) directly from the SE's warehouse and then opens them, and sells them as "used". Sometimes they'll even get "1st print copies" depending on whether SE didn't handle their warehousing correctly and had older units sitting around.

The "used" inventory is then distributed to stores based on a sales algorithm (I really think its pseudo-random but have been told otherwise) which determines which titles are distributed to which stores/region I believe.

They recently did this with FF Tactics:A2, Chrono Trigger DS, and another one that escapes me at the moment...

SE = Square Enix. ;) By "auction" prices I meant they get them for pennies on the dollar by bulk purchases - there may be competitive bids by retailers(?), I'm not sure. I've not been privy to the knowledge about exactly how the deal between GS & SE goes - just that it does and that GS purchases several hundred (to thousands sometimes) directly from the SE's warehouse and then opens them, and sells them as "used". Sometimes they'll even get "1st print copies" depending on whether SE didn't handle their warehousing correctly and had older units sitting around.

The "used" inventory is then distributed to stores based on a sales algorithm (I really think its pseudo-random but have been told otherwise) which determines which titles are distributed to which stores/region I believe.

They recently did this with FF Tactics:A2, Chrono Trigger DS, and another one that escapes me at the moment...
The Mega Man games were found in a box by the dumpster in back of the Square Enix warehouse as well.

Last edited:
Every time I bought a used DS game online, it always comes complete in like-new condition. I'd personally hop on both, but I need to secure preorders for bigger games first. I hope they reprint Custom Robo Arena and Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon.

-Throws DS cases into the trash

-Places the remaining titles in sleeves and hides them randomly

-Starts paying to have rarer titles reprinted...Profit?

I'm glad I only stop by Gamestop when I feel like practically stealing games.

Thanks for the thoughtful and straight-forward response. I was a little sheepish about even posting my question because I assumed there was a good chance it was going to launch a flame war. I've always hoped someday I might be able to get in on something like what Gamestop is doing with SE but am doubtful I would ever be in the right position - even so I'm always interested in how these things work and appreciate the education.

Thanks for the thoughtful and straight-forward response. I was a little sheepish about even posting my question because I assumed there was a good chance it was going to launch a flame war. I've always hoped someday I might be able to get in on something like what Gamestop is doing with SE but am doubtful I would ever be in the right position - even so I'm always interested in how these things work and appreciate the education.
No worries. Glad to help. I'm not really sure if I was being subtly trolled or not...but thanks :D If you find yourself in a position to be able to purchase hundreds/thousands of copies of games from SE you could probably contact them directly regarding an inquiry anyway. They might not respond to you as an individual even if you're loaded, but its easy enough to setup a quick LLC/Inc./DBA etc. and they'd probably be more inclined to hear your request for a bulk discount. Companies are looking to make money. If they've got cash frozen up in slow-moving inventory, they'll be looking to turn it into cash quick, and at that point, anything above carrying cost looks better than write-downs/offs to the corporate accountants. Hope that helps. And if you ARE loaded, where can I send you a bill for my "consultant services"? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What other games did they purchase?

bread's done
Back