Sony 3D PSX Display 24" 1080p LED 240hz - $100 shipped from newegg on eBay.com

Hey guys

I didn't see if this was supposed to be here or in the other deals area because its a TV, but its also specifically a "playstation" product because it has simulcast.

Anyway, these are the best set Ive ever seen, especially for sony ps3 gaming, but their initial quality run as many of us know were shit: 10% have the good ones, 90% have the RLOD, and 50% of those actually had theirs refurbished by sony and 25% of those stayed working and still do apparently.

Now, while theres a high likelihood, the set will break soon, the $100 price is worth it considering its newegg and ebay and sony refurbished, which apparently many say are working and fine now, but sony is just selling them for $100 to unload them to recoup for parts

Now, this has come up over the past few years. I bought my first one at the first big price drop in 2012 for $400 with extra pair of glasses and 3 games. That died in a week, and I tried another set, which I gave up, but since then, ive seen this drop and drop , 300, 200, 150, and finally $100.

Now ive always opposed recommending this but like I said, you have

ebay buyer protection

paypal buyer protection

newegg customer service

credit card protection if you have that

and finally, this is probably the last time well see a big retailer selling this, in other words I think thisll be the last lot of good working refurbished models (read open box/new)

Sony had a great product but poor quality control on this one, and ive protested the deal everytime it dropped $100, but I realize its worth one last shot and I wanted to relay it

Let me know what you think guys, is it worth it? just pass n move on, still best 3d display, especially at price point IMO, if it workS!! lol

Can a brotha get a link!? found it and bought one... I  could care less about the 3d the fact that its a tv and can fit in my backpack is great will be using this for work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly suggest you DO NOT carry this around man, if that's your purpose. They are very fragile with a glass screen, so if the screen doesn't crack, I assure you the display will. These things you gotta just kinda plant and not move ever, don't even play with power supply (at least that's how I got one to last more than a week, ) but backpack travel regular no way, not safe, unless u getta warranty

with something like this $25 for 2 years, what would you get in replacement? the cost of the tv?

is it worth $25 warranty, or is it better to just take a $75 gamble and toss as a loss if it breaks?

yay or nay on warranty?

I'm tempted, but I shall pass. Is 3d still a thing these days? Also, there is confirmed input delay on this (and most every 3d display out there).

And fit in your backpack? it's 24". I don't see too many people carry around that size in their backpack...

These monitors also have a PSP mode that displays PSP games at the correct aspect ratio via component input.

But, from user reviews/comments, it looks like these monitors only last for 1-6 months even if they're refurbished. Is there anyone here who had one of these last longer than 6 months of normal daily use? Or are they all doomed to a short lifespan?

These monitors also have a PSP mode that displays PSP games at the correct aspect ratio via component input.

But, from user reviews/comments, it looks like these monitors only last for 1-6 months even if they're refurbished. Is there anyone here who had one of these last longer than 6 months of normal daily use? Or are they all doomed to a short lifespan?
Not daily use, but I've had no problems with mine in the 2-3 years I've had it. I was told to adjust the brightness settings down (Can't remember the thread where this was recommended), and it's been great. The PSP mode is awesome for my PSP go and dock, and no matter how gimmicky 3D may be, the split screen feature is really cool. I usually use it as a second screen for my laptop, and it gets the job done nicely.

These had initial problems with black screen and flickering - mine had the problem as soon as I bought it. I called Sony and had it sent in to be repaired (pretty painless process) and since I got it back there have been no problems at all. It's a really nice display and the way they fixed mine I think they have the problem sorted now (initially people had theirs break even after repair).

I highly recommend NOT buying this tv. I bought one a few years ago when they were on sale for $100 at Bestbuy on black friday, the tv broke 2 months after buying it and I never moved it around like another user had suggested, it sat in one place and had daily use of about a few hours a day. I was able to return it to bestbuy for a giftcard credit but overall not worth the hassle.

I have one pf these monitors from when they first came out. Ive used it as a computer monitor daily for over 2 years now and have had no issues at all. I did read that there was a ridiculously high failure rate but I guess ive been lucky. Ive only used the 3D a few times but it works great, and I did try the simulcast when I first got it and that is some amazing shit man

Is there anyone here who had one of these last longer than 6 months of normal daily use? Or are they all doomed to a short lifespan?
Did not know about that PSP mode!

I have used one daily for over a year. I'm jinxing it by posting this, but so far there have been no problems. But based on the amount of people who have had problems, it's obvious my set is the exception and not the rule.

But I love it. Best $100 I ever spent on a tv.

I have this monitor for 2 years now, and it is awesome, never I problem. Very tempted to by a second as backup for $100, it is a really good price at that. I highly recommend getting this display if you are in search of a high quality display 

Theres a problem with the eeprom chip getting corrupted I had my chip replaced and has been working good shop jimmy sells the chip for $15. You have to unsolder the old chip and resolder the new one.

I highly suggest you DO NOT carry this around man, if that's your purpose. They are very fragile with a glass screen, so if the screen doesn't crack, I assure you the display will. These things you gotta just kinda plant and not move ever, don't even play with power supply (at least that's how I got one to last more than a week, ) but backpack travel regular no way, not safe, unless u getta warranty

with something like this $25 for 2 years, what would you get in replacement? the cost of the tv?

is it worth $25 warranty, or is it better to just take a $75 gamble and toss as a loss if it breaks?

yay or nay on warranty?
Some duct tape + bubble wrap covering the screen, problem solved. Just dont drop it is all.

I'm on the edge thinking about one of these every time the $99 deal comes up but all the reviews point to these breaking. Even Neweggs current reviews on the refurbished ones are flooded with failures.

I got this during newegg flash sale about 3 weeks back. It's been working great so far. It was also refurb w/o glasses or game. I wonder where I can buy the 3d glasses for it.

did it come with the stand?
No, Newegg expects you to just lean it against a wall and prop it with books.

Did it come with a fucking stand, c'mon son.

Anyway, I bought one when it first hit the $200 mark, and started getting the flickering a few months in. Sent it in to Sony and it's been solid since with daily longterm use. I bought another one last month when Newegg was selling it and haven't seen any problems, but I haven't been on it as often.

I got this during newegg flash sale about 3 weeks back. It's been working great so far. It was also refurb w/o glasses or game. I wonder where I can buy the 3d glasses for it.
Hmm, sounds kind of like a crappy deal then - Sony Bravia glasses will work on it but not with Simulview (which you may or may not care about)

Q: Will other 3D glasses work with the PlayStation 3D Display?
A: Active-Shutter glasses used with Sony Bravia TVs will work with the PlayStation 3D Display to view 3D content. However, they WILL NOT work with SimulView content. The glasses included with the 3D Display are designed to work with a variety of displays from other manufacturers, but glasses from other manufacturers are not supported for use with the PlayStation 3D Display.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2610/~/playstation-3d-display-info-and-faqs

Looking at the Amazon reviews, it's 121 5stars as opposed to 80 1stars.
When looking at Amazon reviews, I disregard 5 and 1 star reviews and make quick judgments based on 2, 3, and 4 star counts. I'll read 1 star reviews to see if they all have something in common though.

Anyway, this piece of junk needs to go away, I'm sick of seeing it pop up on here every few weeks. :wall:

No, Newegg expects you to just lean it against a wall and prop it with books.

Did it come with a fucking stand, c'mon son.

Anyway, I bought one when it first hit the $200 mark, and started getting the flickering a few months in. Sent it in to Sony and it's been solid since with daily longterm use. I bought another one last month when Newegg was selling it and haven't seen any problems, but I haven't been on it as often.
guess i have to order a could of books with it then. Don't get your panties in a bunch, SON.

Mine is still running great. Only problem is the headphone jack doesn't seem to be properly grounded, so I get a ton of white noise. Using a grounding filter helps a bit with it, but honestly, I never use the jack anyways (especially since with my PS4 I can run headphones through my Dualshock 4 or use my wireless headset).

In my experience, refurbished may be better than new. I bought one at Gamestop a few years ago when it was $200 and it was dead within a week (it'd turn on but not display anything), returned it and got a new one and was then again dead after 2 weeks. I had to contact Sony since it was already out of Gamestop's warranty so they sent me a box to return the display and after a week I received what appeared to be a refurbished one. It's been working til this day. Just my two cents.

I've had mine for 3 years now and it's still working ok. The screen blacks out for a second once in a while but it's manageable. I have noticed that the blacks and reds streak on mine. Is this normal? 

Had mine for a year and a half and the issues are getting more frequent but the issues are only frequent with the PS4. When I use it as a general TV it's perfect. The infamous black flickering only happens when I play games.

When it doesn't flicker it's worth the $99 even with the terrible speakers.

I almost purchased this a few weeks for the same price, and passed after reading some reviews. Apparently, besides have a high rate of failure, it's not even a true 240hz display (one review mentioned not being able to go higher than 60hz), has really bad screen glare and isn't very bright. 

I actually want one of these, but the highly reflective surface and prone to failure is a big letdown. Might as well get an computer monitor instead.

I have this monitor for my gaming computer, Xbox 360, and PS3. I've had 2 die on me in about 4-5 years, but they were both replaced for free by Sony. The rate of failure on this things is unreal. That being said, it's a decent looking monitor for gaming and everyday computer usage. Just understand that you're probably going to have it shipped back or replaced at some point.

I bought mines from Best Buy's Black Friday and it still works. [Has it been 2-3 years ago? o_O]

Once in a while the screen will flicker to black for a few seconds before going back although it's a pain in the ass when you are in a multiplayer match.

It's my only TV for 3D which is beautiful but wearing 3D glasses over regular glasses is uncomfortable. 

So no warranty ?
$15 one year warranty
$25 two year warranty?

What do you think is advantage ? If it breaks within 2years do you get refund or how does it work ?

I've always wanted 1 of these but the stories of the failure rate of these is unreal and have kept me away.  Has there ever been rumors of how these are made or whats wrong with them or did Sony farm out the manufacturing of these to Santas new electronics division or something?

The short of it is there was a flaw in the production lines assembly template and it ruined the lot. By time it was recognized , and they had a fix, started warranty and recalled for refurbushment ,there was so much discontent and returns they finally unloaded them at $99 and I think this'll be the last time we see this many cuz Sony outlets in NYC wouldn't even sell me display model cuzza return rate.

So.... Bout that warranty? Are the refurbished ones really really fixed or get warranty ?

bread's done
Back