Power/eject buttons on PS3 no longer work

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This was an odd surprise.  I noticed yesterday that the buttons on my PS3 to turn it on and eject a disc no longer work at all.

Frankly, this isn't generally a problem, because I have a PS3 remote, and you can do it with the controller and menus as well.

However, there have been times when I've needed to "hold down" the power button and such to get to the system recovery menu and all that stuff.  I think my PS3 hard drive is about dead, frankly, so this may become an issue in the future.

So how the heck can I do that with a dead power button?  I'm not really interested in repairing it or anything.  But I still have an absolutely enormous PS3 backlog (a few disc games, lots of PSN PS3 games, PSN games, PS2 classics, etc etc), so I can't just say heck with it and upgrade to a PS4 or anything.  If anything, I'd be more inclined to buy a new PS3 eventually.

I guess I'm hoping for a quick fix or workaround to get to the system menus and such if/when I need them?

sorry, wordy...

I'm not at all technical.  The most I have ever done is upgrade my PS3 to a larger hard drive.  First off, what model of PS3 do you have? A phat, a slim, or a super slim?  

I have never taken my PS3 apart, but I would rather do that than spend the money on a new system.  Could the buttons be stuck or maybe a wire is loose? 

I don't know if this will help, but I would back-up your hard drive as soon as possible if it is nearing death with an external hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have anything too important on the hard drive, honestly.  After GTA V kind of ate my hard drive (i.e. made its death evident), I ended up having to do a full system restore or whatever that is.  Of course, this requires holding the power button down and such which I can't do now.  :)

I should make clear it's the power button on front, not an actual button even but a touch sensor kind of thing.  So, I can still turn it on via the remote and the controller.

Mine is one of the phattie models.  It's not the original (not backward compatible with PS2); I think it is a late 2008 model.  

I have to wonder if it's a loose wire, too, but then again, I'm not sure why the wire would have become loose.  I suppose I should e-mail Sony tech support.  It is one of those problems that doesn't really change your life much, so you procrastinate, but if i actually needed that button in order to do a system restore or something, I'd be a sad puppy.

I have so much stuff on the PSN that I almost feel like I will wait and see if I can get in on a Christmas sale on a super slim, but a nice big HDD for it, and that will be that.  I would just start from scratch with a new PS3.  Everything I need is all "in the cloud" so to speak (including my saved games).  Might wait til Christmas of next year tho when I have money... :)

I don't have anything too important on the hard drive, honestly. After GTA V kind of ate my hard drive (i.e. made its death evident), I ended up having to do a full system restore or whatever that is. Of course, this requires holding the power button down and such which I can't do now. :)

I should make clear it's the power button on front, not an actual button even but a touch sensor kind of thing. So, I can still turn it on via the remote and the controller.

Mine is one of the phattie models. It's not the original (not backward compatible with PS2); I think it is a late 2008 model.

I have to wonder if it's a loose wire, too, but then again, I'm not sure why the wire would have become loose. I suppose I should e-mail Sony tech support. It is one of those problems that doesn't really change your life much, so you procrastinate, but if i actually needed that button in order to do a system restore or something, I'd be a sad puppy.

I have so much stuff on the PSN that I almost feel like I will wait and see if I can get in on a Christmas sale on a super slim, but a nice big HDD for it, and that will be that. I would just start from scratch with a new PS3. Everything I need is all "in the cloud" so to speak (including my saved games). Might wait til Christmas of next year tho when I have money... :)
Dude you can get a used PS3 for $100 or so, why even debate all this? Your phat system is dying, just trash it and pick up a used slim or super slim (not a phat, they generate too much heat), restore all your purchased games to the new system, and move on. If you're not gonna have $100 spare until Christmas NEXT year, you've got a lot more important problems to deal with than gaming systems!

Well, everything is working fine without the buttons, so I don't see much point in upgrading now.  Money is tight until I finish the master's program I'm in right now.  If it does die completely, I'll buy a super slim, or maybe I'll find a good deal on one this Christmas.  Not really into getting used systems but maybe! :)  I will need a hard drive, too, so that's another expense.  

Despite having a ton of PSN content, I don't really use my PS3 all that much.

bread's done
Back