Which Nighthawk routers should I get?

thao0209

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My router has been sucky lately so what do you guys recommend between these two model?

Nighthawk R7000(3 antenna) or Nighthawk R8000(6 antenna)

My household is a heavily internet usage, at anytime these can be on:

Roku

8 mobile cell or tablet

3 Gaming PC

2 mac/PC for either steaming or browsing internet

4 Gaming console

What do you guys think. I currently have a Netgear WNR2000. So its time for an upgrade

r7000

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410134707&sr=8-1&keywords=nighthawk+r7000

r8000

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC3200-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-R8000/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410134707&sr=8-2&keywords=nighthawk+r7000

wow that's a lot of cash to throw at a router and probably most of your devices can't even take advantage of 802.11ac at all.  Unless you have some very very recent tablets/phones?  also are you going long distances outside your house and want to be on wireless?  that's really the advantage of 6 antennas.

The firmware on Netgear is very suspect, just gotta say I used to use Netgear a lot but even in the amazon reviews for the r8000, until a very recent firmware update, the router was having really really bad problems, both performance and heat issues.

I just got a small/medium business router from Cisco and i plug in devices that can be near the router and the others are fine all on 802.11n and it's a gigabit router.  I'd say wait to see what other 802.11ac routers that come out and prices are a bit cheaper.

I was in somewhat the same situation last year.  Only I didn't have near the amount connecting as you do.  I only had my Galaxy S3, Xbox 360(wired), PS3, laptop, desktop(wired) and a Boxee Box.  I saw ASUS was coming out with a new router in a few days and looked at it and others like it.  The RT-AC68R depending on where you get it you may get the RT-AC68U instead, and other than how the warranty is handled I haven't found much of a difference.  When it came out it was the best 802.11AC router out.  From what I have read it still is the top one out.  I suggest it over the 2 you mentioned looking at.

The only issue with getting a router with AC is not much uses it right now.  The only things I have that connect to the 5ghz are my phone and maybe my laptop and I'm not 100% sure on that one.  I haven't used the laptop in a while.  My S3 connected to it and my new phone does as well.  The only issue with both have been the 2.5ghz has been a stronger connection.  I'm not sure if it's the distance I am from the router or if the phones default to the 2.5 or what.  I have had both setup to connect the the 2.5 and the 5 and both seem to connect the the 2.5 99% of the time.  I got the router because I thought the PS3 connected to AC and thought at some point I would get an Xbox One and a PS4.  I think the PS4 uses AC, but the Xbox One does not.  I could have that backwards or they both don't use it.  I just remember reading specs on both when it was all announced and had my hopes of AC come crashing down on at least one.  When I have connected to the AC I haven't noticed any difference however that is just for my phone.

So you might want to check to see if what you have uses AC and if it's only a phone/tablet it might not be worth having a router with AC unless you want to get one with it for future devices.  I'm holding out hope that more will take advantage of it, but the things that seem like they would wont be replaced for another 5-10 years and that's the Xbox and Playstation systems.

As for the 2 routers you mentioned, I can't really say anything about the brand as I don't think I have ever used anything from them.  I suggest reading reviews and maybe even watching some on youtube.  It does however look like the 8000 model isn't worth the extra 100 bucks they want.  That's what the impression is that I get from what little I have looked at the reviews on Amazon.  

Late reply but maybe it'll help someone. I bought the Netgear R7000 and tested it against the Asus AC1750. I know the R7000 is AC1900 but they were close enough in price and specs. I ended up keeping the Asus since the GUI is way better and more manageable. Netgear does have nicer parental controls, Asus just feels better and the range was better.

bread's done
Back