Aww snap. Destiny( Xbox One ) is $49.99 at Newegg

I have been having fun actually, tons of shooting and random events happening plus some 6 on 6 matches. Just got some internet connection problems so I hope that was just an random thing...yet the CAG in me does wish I had waited a little. Tough now that I have it on the PS3 I don't see the reason for going with a next gen console, since all other games I want are coming for PC :D/   

This game received far too much hype along with Titanfall and Watch Dogs. The corporations that publish these games don't even need PR with game "journalists" doing their work for them. I was amazed at how anticipated Destiny was when the playable builds didn't seem nearly as revolutionary (or even refined) as Marathon and Halo were for their time.

Last edited:
This game received far too much hype along with Titanfall and Watch Dogs. The corporations that publish these games don't even need PR with game "journalists" doing their work for them. I was amazed at how anticipated Destiny was when the playable builds didn't seem nearly as revolutionary (or even refined) as Marathon and Halo were for their time.
I didn't hear any journalists saying that it was going to be fantastic. Are you sure you're reading the right websites? It's a fucking MMORPG Shooter, those always suck..

The metacritic is 75. Giantbomb and Polygon both gave it a 60. I trust Giantbomb a lot more than most other sources but a metacritic of 75 shows that a lot of games journalists reviewed it poorly. I didn't even read hype leading up to release on sites, just from gamers who were excited...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't hear any journalists saying that it was going to be fantastic. Are you sure you're reading the right websites? It's a fucking MMORPG Shooter, those always suck..

The metacritic is 75. Giantbomb and Polygon both gave it a 60. I trust Giantbomb a lot more than most other sources but a metacritic of 75 shows that a lot of games journalists reviewed it poorly. I didn't even read hype leading up to release on sites, just from gamers who were excited...
IGN and Polygon wouldn't stop obsessing over the game (similar to what they did with Titanfall except even more frequent). It was the glowing previews that were the problem, not the reviews. Polygon had a very different tone in their review, and that can't have just suddenly occurred to them. The Alpha and Beta were pretty good indicators of how it was going to play so I can't really think of a good excuse for their sudden change of viewpoint.

Last edited:
IGN and Polygon wouldn't stop obsessing over the game (similar to what they did with Titanfall except even more frequent). It was the glowing previews that were the problem, not the reviews. Polygon had a very different tone in their review, and that can't have just suddenly occurred to them. The Alpha and Beta were pretty good indicators of how it was going to play so I can't really think of a good excuse for their sudden change of viewpoint.
Stop reading previews. Could you link these polygon "glowing previews"? The reviewers that did Destiny for Polygon are pretty hated by fans of games because their reviews are usually accurate from the average gamer's point of view. I trust them and their reviews more than some preview content. I can tell you right now, for WEEKS leading up to the release of Destiny, Jeff Gerstmann on the Bombcast has been pretty tepid if not downright critical of it. He was constantly questioning if the game would be good. Maybe you should start listening to the Giant Bombcast. I usually find their comments fall in line with my feelings on games (at least 90%) but they're well known for speaking their minds...

Avoid IGN.

This game is quite bad. Its an extremely extremely polished turd. Been playing since launch, its pretty short and you do the same shit. If you haven't bought it yet, wait for a sale.

I didn't play the Beta but I'm not too impressed with the multiplayer. Just seems all over the place. Guess I fell for the hype or maybe it'll take some time getting used to--but I'm just not intrigued by it anymore. Might just trade it for $40+ somewhere as that's how much I paid at BB with GCU & $10 certificate. Guess it just ain't for me

I'm having fun with it. Ended up getting it for around $40 new due to Target's coupon shenanigans that could be had with pre-ordering/trade-in/etc. - but yeah, way overrated...way over hyped. Still interesting...but the DLC thing is just a fiasco. They definitely cut stuff to sell it later. We are all losers based on how well the pre-orders did (and I am part of the problem).

it's because fanboys.

I said the same thing for the alpha but got "it's just an alpha of course it sucks"

then the beta I got "it's just a beta of course it sucks"

then the real game I am getting "it's just the retail release they will support the game with dlc and stuff"

I'm sure when destiny 2 comes out I will get "it was their first game since halo of course it sucked"

This game is like another "meh" shooter. I only bought it because I got it for $28 from Target. They still manage to lack innovation in the genre, even with the biggest budget ever.

Its shooting is solid, but very basic. The RPG elements are as shallow as they could possibly be. Extremely unsatisfying for a veteran RPG player like myself. The loot is boring because of the shallow RPG elements.The mobs are boring and lack variety. Boss battles are just as drab. The MMO elements are also less than half-baked... they never even made it to the oven.

The things that the game has are all polished... that is to say, they are functional. It's just that everything is so shallow.
It's a 6.9 at best, IMO.

It's basically WoW without the Barrens chat. I like it though.
Yea... not even close. Even after all the streamlining and casual pandering that WoW has suffered through each of its expansions, it still doesn't come anywhere near as shallow and sterile of a game as Destiny is.

Stop reading previews. Could you link these polygon "glowing previews"? The reviewers that did Destiny for Polygon are pretty hated by fans of games because their reviews are usually accurate from the average gamer's point of view. I trust them and their reviews more than some preview content. I can tell you right now, for WEEKS leading up to the release of Destiny, Jeff Gerstmann on the Bombcast has been pretty tepid if not downright critical of it. He was constantly questioning if the game would be good. Maybe you should start listening to the Giant Bombcast. I usually find their comments fall in line with my feelings on games (at least 90%) but they're well known for speaking their minds...

Avoid IGN.
I think "glowing" was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but most of the preview coverage was positive and there wasn't really any indication that something disappointing was coming. Here's one video of impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuiOwmCgJdM&feature=youtu.be

IGN generally has poor reviews and previews, but I still go there occasionally out of habit since it was my first game website. I haven't read Gerstmann's review, but it's nice that he was willing to be more critical of a first-person shooter for a change (When I used to go to GiantBomb, they tended to be less critical of first-person shooters than other genres).

Last edited:
I'm beginning to wonder if I should open up my LE copy of Destiny, or send it back since I've got a PS4 version backordered. Seems like I should Redbox it again to make sure it's something I want to revisit in a year when more content (hopefully) gets released.

It's basically WoW without the Barrens chat. I like it though.
LOL. If someone buys this thinking it's the same as Warcraft but a shooter, they are gonna be really disappointed. It's really not. It's a shooter with solid gameplay but not much variety and only the most base-level MMO elements.

[quote name="AugustAPC" post="12092726" timestamp="1410668072"]Yea... not even close. Even after all the streamlining and casual pandering that WoW has suffered through each of its expansions, it still doesn't come anywhere near as shallow and sterile of a game as Destiny is.[/quote]
Your opinion, my is different.
Both have mindless quests and and endless grind for gear. Sure Destiny has less content but (1) no monthly fee (2) it just came out.

I think "glowing" was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but most of the preview coverage was positive and there wasn't really any indication that something disappointing was coming. Here's one video of impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuiOwmCgJdM&feature=youtu.be

IGN generally has poor reviews and previews, but I still go there occasionally out of habit since it was my first game website. I haven't read Gerstmann's review, but it's nice that he was willing to be more critical of a first-person shooter for a change (When I used to go to GiantBomb, they tended to be less critical of first-person shooters than other genres).
That preview is really quite positive, you're right. Bear in mind, he repeatedly mentions MMO aspects and that he played very little of the game. The problem with previews (and why I tend to avoid them) is that reviewers give developers the benefit of the doubt when playing them. There is an expectation that preview (in this case an Alpha) build will have bugs and will not include everything the game has to offer. Had he known the game was just the alpha over and over again I'm sure that video would have been quite different unless he's a huge fan off MMO's. Personally, I played WoW for about a year and a half and that was enough MMO for me for the rest of my life.

Here's Gerstmann's review.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/destiny-review/1900-655/

Avoid IGN.
So youre saying "dont pay attention to what people say I dont agree with. If you want real opinions then go with these other guys because I agree with them".

Reviews are opinion and subjective. There is no provable scientific fact so anything anyone thinks about a game will not be the same for everyone. So berating a sites reviews doesnt mean they are wrong or somehow false. Arguing about reviews is stupid and worse yet is the inability and short sightedness to not realize that.

Millions think transformers are great movies, millions think mcdonalds has good food, millions think tom cruise is an amazing actor, millions think lady gaga is a talented musician and millions think Paris Hilton is gorgeous but I dont agree with any of them so why would I care what a couple of people say about a game? I look at trailers or read about what it is and decide if my interest is enough to try something but I certainly dont let other peoples opinion create one for myself when I havent actually tried it and dont know what I think.

A lot of people have never tried sushi but dislike it and if I listened to them I would have never found out I love it. A lot of people hated Hudson hawk and everyone gave it terrible reviews if I listened to them I would never had found out it made me laugh and was a fun movie.

Its fine to have an opinion but arguing about other peoples opinions that you dont even know or telling others they should think what some random internet stranger thinks is closed minded and lame. What do you care what others think and how does it effect you personally what others think of destiny? If you like it cool then play it and if you dont then dont play it.

Eh I've enjoy the 3 or so hours I've played so far.

Of course I skipped the beta since right when I logged in to play I felt no desire to spoil the game and turned it off.

Interested to see how the loot and multiplayer modes work end game. It's not the greatest game so far but then again I had much lower expectations after my experience with Watch Dogs (ughhh). I'll say it's a better game than that so far and I actually prefer third person to fps games.

Story is forgettable just like during the alpha. It feels very mmo like, and I have had more fun with the combat and general quest mechanics than I did with FF14.

One thing is for sure it cements my opionion that the PS4 is not worth buying this year even for the Sony fan (such as myself) unless heavily discounted. Wii U has a great library for th Nintendo fan. I could see an XB1 being worth it for MS fan for Forza and Halo Collection and maybe SSO.

PS4? Indies (yuck), Destiny (so far ok), and Drive club (best potential this holiday). Infamous is also ok but not worth buying a console over. Definitely not worth buying a PS4 until Bloodborne/MGSV imo.

So youre saying "dont pay attention to what people say I dont agree with. If you want real opinions then go with these other guys because I agree with them".
Reviews are opinion and subjective. There is no provable scientific fact so anything anyone thinks about a game will not be the same for everyone. So berating a sites reviews doesnt mean they are wrong or somehow false. Arguing about reviews is stupid and worse yet is the inability and short sightedness to not realize that.
Millions think transformers are great movies, millions think mcdonalds has good food, millions think tom cruise is an amazing actor, millions think lady gaga is a talented musician and millions think Paris Hilton is gorgeous but I dont agree with any of them so why would I care what a couple of people say about a game? I look at trailers or read about what it is and decide if my interest is enough to try something but I certainly dont let other peoples opinion create one for myself when I havent actually tried it and dont know what I think.
A lot of people have never tried sushi but dislike it and if I listened to them I would have never found out I love it. A lot of people hated Hudson hawk and everyone gave it terrible reviews if I listened to them I would never had found out it made me laugh and was a fun movie.
Its fine to have an opinion but arguing about other peoples opinions that you dont even know or telling others they should think what some random internet stranger thinks is closed minded and lame. What do you care what others think and how does it effect you personally what others think of destiny? If you like it cool then play it and if you dont then dont play it.
No, I'm saying IGN isn't trustworthy and Gerstmann is. You may not agree with his opinions on games but at least you know they're his actual opinions. I can't say that for IGN...

edit:
For those that don't know - when you read that a developer is allowing reviews to come out prior to the game's release, you know they think the game is great. A recent example of this is Mario Kart 8. When a developer only allows 1 or 2 very small companies you've never heard of to release reviews early then there's a good chance that the game is terrible and the reviews are bought or it's average and the reviews are done by extreme fans of the series (example: Early reviews of Darksiders 2). If you hear (as was the case with Destiny) that no reviews are allowed until after release AND they aren't even sending out review copies to reviewers then you know damn well to watch out because the reviews won't be published for a couple of days after release (at the earliest). These are all strategies to maximize their sales. This is similar to movie reviews - when you hear there is no critics screenings of a movie, it's probably not going to be good.

I'm just going to post what I said in another topic because in lazy :p

To be honest, Destiny is a fun game. Average single player like most shooters, if you prefer to do the story on your own. Awesome story co-op experience if you do it with friends.

Even without friends, you get to enjoy the Strike co-op with matchmaking. Then you get to do all those story and co-op levels again on higher difficulties like all shooters, except you get better loot. Higher difficulties mobs have more health, more fancy moves, and more of them.

Multiplayer, like all shooters, you'll find some love it and some hate it. You need to be a demi-god, If you go in without your skill tree decently developed. You also have to find your favorite weapons, scout, auto, fusion, shotgun, machine gun or rocket, if you want to have a chance in it. For example, you like to CQC and you use a scout rifle, you deserve to get slaughtered. Most maps are CQC oriented, so don't be surprised if you see everyone running around with auto rifles, shotguns and fusion rifles.

There are also daily bounties, daily heroic story missions, weekly strike missions and time limited events to spice things up.

With the rep system, you eventually will get the level 20 purple weapons/armor you want. People who plays more might get them faster, but that's because they play more. There's also a limit on how much rep and marks you can earn in a week, so the difference won't be that obvious unless you come into the game several months later.

Is this a groundbreaking FPS game of the century? Probably not. Is it fun? Yes it is, if you like decently long story campaign, good co-op and multiplayer.

So should you buy it now or later when it's on sale? Well, it depends what you are getting later this year. It takes roughly 20 hours to get to level 20. Then, only the god of luck knows how long it'll take you to get to level 30. So to me, this is a good game to have between now and my next game in couple months.

Avoid IGN.
Jeff basically hates all Sega games (Shenmue, Nights), so I can't agree with him.

From what i understood no one was able to review the game until it came out.

Which if so, is so very much a don't review our game badly craptastic tactic.

bread's done
Back