cheapsk8ron

CAGiversary!
Amazon:
base model i3- $479
base model with double ram/storage - $549
i5 model - $641.47
i7 model - $780.58

Dell:
$100 gift card with any of the four models.

Walmart: regular priced.
$549
$699
$799
$899

Side notes: All preorders come with magicka, payday 2 and more. Hdmi cable included. Wireless Xbox 360 controller included. Parts upgradable except graphics card. Un-upgradable custom graphics card is SPECULATED to be compared to gtx 750 ti. Two modes: console mode and desktop mode. Console mode = steam big picture mode just for steam gaming. Desktop mode = everything else that you do with pc and non-steam games (requires keyboard and mouse! Not included.) Runs on windows 8.1 for now, steamOS free when it releases. Coming November 21.

Its cool that these are coming out now but I cant believe they made it so you cant ever upgrade the graphics card. Seems like that will turn a lot of people off

nice info. thanks
o.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Man if it was fully upgradeable graphics card included I'd get one for sure. :whistle2:(

Man if it was fully upgradeable graphics card included I'd get one for sure. :whistle2:(
I have a gaming desktop so this isnt really for me but I feel like a lot of people will share your sentiment. And while a 750ti isnt a terrible card it certainly isnt that futureproof and likely less powerful than whats in a X1 or PS4. Dissapointing for sure

If my xbox one and ps4 is more powerful then it's an easy pass. Maybe next year's model will be better. Thanks
Edit: I assumed it easily be more powerful then the one and ps4 at about $800

I already have a steam machine that is fully upgradeable, customizable, cheaper, more powerful, a huge variety of periphals and can do about 10,000 other things. Its called a pc.

I already have a steam machine that is fully upgradeable, customizable, cheaper, more powerful, a huge variety of periphals and can do about 10,000 other things. Its called a pc.
This particular Steam machine is also a fully functioning Windows 8.1 PC. It can do virtually anything every other PC can do. You're correct that it's less expandable than a full tower or desktop PC, but it's also highly portable and has built in HDMI as well as a unique console mode. Personally, I think it does fill a certain niche, but if you already have a decent PC, it's probably not for you.

Coming from alienware, I'm surprised these arent ridiculously overpriced.

But According to amazon, 5400RPM harddrives? The most expensive model uses a nvidia quadro FX 3500M? and obviously all the other stuff you guys said.

i'm assuming this is all about the small size

Amazon:
base model i3- $479
base model with double ram/storage - $549
i5 model - $641.47
i7 model - $780.58

Dell:
$100 gift card with any of the four models.

Walmart: regular priced.
$549
$699
$799
$899

Side notes: All preorders come with magicka, payday 2 and more. Hdmi cable included. Wireless Xbox 360 controller included. Parts upgradable except graphics card. Un-upgradable custom graphics card is SPECULATED to be compared to gtx 750 ti. Two modes: console mode and desktop mode. Console mode = steam big picture mode just for steam gaming. Desktop mode = everything else that you do with pc and non-steam games (requires keyboard and mouse! Not included.) Runs on windows 8.1 for now, steamOS free when it releases. Coming November 21.
Hmm, this is very tempting. Even more so at these discounted prices! (Hilarious to compare them to the Mac Mini LOL)

I've been VERY interested in Alpha for a long time, though I'm torn between buying one of these and buying the redesigned Haswell-E based 'big' system (the one that looks...well, uh, not like any computer ever). Or possibly a new 17 or 18" notebook...I'm not sure.

But these are so cheap they're super tempting...

I assume I'd want an i7...

Anyone else just have their Alpha preorder on Amazon disappear?  It appears these were likely all price errors and now they are all at MSRP.  My pre-order is also no longer in my order history at all.  I guess Amazon wasn't willing to take a $120 hit on a price mistake.  Pretty ridiculous that they didn't even bother to notify me though.   

It's tempting, but the idea of having no video card upgrade kind of kills it for me....having said that, I managed to get a GTX 770 for $300 and have not even upgraded my Sandy Bridge Core i5! So having that Haswell i7 may make this Steam Box outperform my system right now in some occasions...only some of course.

I suppose this works for a lot of people who don't want to get their hands into the guts of a PC; must admit that supporting my own machine...and several other people's machines can become hair-pulling at times.

Considering the GPU, I'm not interested in this first edition. Rather just stick to my consoles, and maybe see what this is looking like two years from now.

Considering the GPU, I'm not interested in this first edition. Rather just stick to my consoles, and maybe see what this is looking like two years from now.

If you're comparing it to consoles, the 750 Ti runs Titanfall better than the Xbox One, and it runs Battlefield 4 better than the PS4. So its competitive. BUT, that might change in time as developers optimize for the console, but its not a bad card at all.

If you're comparing it to consoles, the 750 Ti runs Titanfall better than the Xbox One, and it runs Battlefield 4 better than the PS4. So its competitive. BUT, that might change in time as developers optimize for the console, but its not a bad card at all.
Where are you getting your info from? Alieware hasn't confirmed the specific Maxwell card being used other than vague references to it being a Maxwell and competitive with PS4 and Xbox One and having 2GB RAM. It could actually turn out being less powerful than a 750TI. We won't really know until release when reviewers actually get to put it through its paces.

Where are you getting your info from? Alieware hasn't confirmed the specific Maxwell card being used other than vague references to it being a Maxwell and competitive with PS4 and Xbox One and having 2GB RAM. It could actually turn out being less powerful than a 750TI. We won't really know until release when reviewers actually get to put it through its paces.
Fair enough, it could be weaker.

Although it isn't a bad card, it is a bad card to be stuck with. Would be different if you could upgrade in the future.

Although it isn't a bad card, it is a bad card to be stuck with. Would be different if you could upgrade in the future.
It really depends on how you PC game. I don't play FPS games on the PC, so I suspect whatever the final specs of this card, it would support my full Steam library currently and for many years to come even if it turns out to be a mediocre Maxwell. If you're looking for something that is just a full feature PC in a smaller package, this probably isn't for you. If you want a console like PC experience that plays on an HDTV and is geared toward playing Steam libraries with some limited expandability, this might be a good choice for you.

Last year I built a dedicated Steam Box, liquid cooled in a Mini ITX case with a GTX 770 for about $900. Unless you have never built a PC before, this has FAIL written all over it because the plan with the Alpha is to update the device each year and get you to part with the same amount of cash when your Alpha can't run the latest Steam games.

I'm tempted to get the basic model for $450 (adjusted for gift card deal) just to mess with in my game room. I've got $500 in Dell gift cards from AmEx that I didn't have a plan for since I'm perfectly happy with my current m11xR2 lappy. I could easily put them toward this, but don't think I care enough to want to throw extra cash in for one of the upgraded models.

Coming from an older mobile i7 with 4GB and a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT335M, am I gonna completely hate the i3 even with its better graphics card? I don't play many FPS games and don't mind turning off some fancy graphics options to keep things running smooth.

Seeing this makes me want to build a cheap htpc that I can use for in home streaming off steam from my desktop. Wish more than anything that MS would make a Steam app that let the X1 be a client PC for in home streaming

bread's done
Back