Ebay vs Gamestop

el swordo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Which is better for selling  games and why?   Gamestop is right next to where I work so I can just drop off games there before a shift.  On the other hand with the ebay app on my phone I can list really quickly and all I have to do is print a label and leave it out for when the mail man comes.  On top of that I have a paypal debit card which I can basically use as stored credit that can be used anywhere.  Am I better off just selling games on ebay and using the money to buy games wherever the best price is?  Or am I better off just building up a collection of games and waiting for a bonus deal at gamestop?

Ebay all the way in my view. Although they do take out a small fee per sell, Gamestop is a huge rip off in my view unless you get store credit.

If you are wanting cash Gamestop will rip you a new one.

Plus on eBay you can sell the games for more then what Gamestop will offer you.

I've never been big on Gamestop but have made a lot of money via eBay. Others may have different opinions, but mine is eBay.

Good luck either way my man.

Umm easy, Ebay or just about anywhere else besides Gamestop. They literally pay you like .25 cents a game for the most part and the only ones that ever have 10 bucks or more offers are very recent releases and even those you still can sell for more on ebay fees/other costs included. Avoid them like the plague.

Umm easy, Ebay or just about anywhere else besides Gamestop. They literally pay you like .25 cents a game for the most part and the only ones that ever have 10 bucks or more offers are very recent releases and even those you still can sell for more on ebay fees/other costs included. Avoid them like the plague.
Really? I just bought The Last of Us Remastered for $35 on amazon brand new and it has a $27 trade in value at gamestop. That seems pretty fair to me. After all nobody is forcing me to sell to gamestop I can just look up the price on the app and decide whether it's worth it for me to do or not. And I'm not sure about the small fee it's like 10%+ paypal fees. Also there is zero waiting for shipping and I don't have to travel any further then I have too to pick up new games. Then again I can still use my paypal money at gamestop.

Then why did you ask if you apparently are hellbent on Gamestop? That's a newer game as I said, so there's some value but for the most part they're just a den of thieves who count on people to take their shitty offers. I've never lost money selling games on eBay opposed to being ripped off by Gamestop or other places. They occasionally and I cannot emphasize that word enough do some decent trade-in offers but that's rare. eBay fees suck but selling games they're not bad at all and I'd rather make more money than less money any time when it comes to selling my property.

Then why did you ask if you apparently are hellbent on Gamestop? That's a newer game as I said, so there's some value but for the most part they're just a den of thieves who count on people to take their shitty offers. I've never lost money selling games on eBay opposed to being ripped off by Gamestop or other places. They occasionally and I cannot emphasize that word enough do some decent trade-in offers but that's rare. eBay fees suck but selling games they're not bad at all and I'd rather make more money than less money any time when it comes to selling my property.
I'm not hellbent on gamestop I use both on a regular basis. I just want to get back into beating more games on a regular basis and am trying to find the most cost effective way of doing so. I just had to state for the record though that gamestop really isn't that bad lately. I'm just trying to find out if it's better to collect a bunch of games and sell in bulk when gamestop has a promo of if it's better to sell individually on ebay soon after finishing the game? Oh and how is TLOU a newer game? it's a remake of a year old game

Last edited by a moderator:
GameStop all the way. eBay is a ripoff and they sometimes sneak fees or the buyer uses the purchase to work you into a scam. When you go to GameStop, you have the option to accept the terms and you can choose quick cash or store credit. There's no question about it. GameStop is better. Too many eBay fanboys.

GameStop all the way. eBay is a ripoff and they sometimes sneak fees or the buyer uses the purchase to work you into a scam. When you go to GameStop, you have the option to accept the terms and you can choose quick cash or store credit. There's no question about it. GameStop is better. Too many eBay fanboys.
Never been scammed selling stuff on ebay. Sure some people take their sweet ass time to pay but, I don't ship until I receive notifcation that I've been payed. Also the fees are pretty well established they take 10% off the final value + a few cents for extra pictures and stuff. Plus you get cash that can be spent everywhere. That being said gamestop gives you the instant gratification

varies depending on the games. if you can get $40+ for a game less than 3 months, its better than going ebay. i kinda hate using ebay b/c of the fees. 10% off the sales item, shipping fees (btwn $3-5), paypal fee's of 3%. there's no profit left for the avg joe. I went CL on alot of my stuff. also, didn't have to stress/worry about charge backs. 

The only stress about CL is when someone does not show when they said they would and that they are scoping out your place to break in later. 

That is why I...

1) Give the address next door

2) meet them outside during the day. 

I know this topic is kind of already decided, but if you want another trade in option that would match GS, BBY isn't a bad place to consider (also that you can convert the BBY GC to another GC more interesting easy enough), and they periodically offer 50% trade in bonus.

Personally I use eBay for most everything I sell, the extra profit you can make on a much wider audience easily offsets the 10% eBay + 3% Paypal + shipping fees.

I don't see eBay being a viable alternative after the new PP policy takes place. Giving buyers 6 months to file a dispute is ridiculous. 

Yeah, while it makes no sense why they are extending this to 6 months, it really won't affect sellers that much as it only applies to INR and SNAD cases.  If you upload a tracking number (which you should anyways), take good pictures and have an accurate description and listing condition (e.g. don't list disc only games in Very Good condition), you should be good to go.

Honestly if someone is going to screw you, they'll do it within the month anyways, not wait 4-6 months, but that's just my take on it.  It's still ridiculous though.

Yeah, while it makes no sense why they are extending this to 6 months, it really won't affect sellers that much as it only applies to INR and SNAD cases. If you upload a tracking number (which you should anyways), take good pictures and have an accurate description and listing condition (e.g. don't list disc only games in Very Good condition), you should be good to go.

Honestly if someone is going to screw you, they'll do it within the month anyways, not wait 4-6 months, but that's just my take on it. It's still ridiculous though.
Yeah, except that eBay's SNAD policies basically guarantee a return for any reason. About the only time you'd win those cases if you sell hardware and saved the S/N, and the buyer sent back something with a different S/N.

Additionally, I don't know about you, but I sell a lot of games that I only start up and play for a bit. The buyer could easily claim that the game freezes at the end and I couldn't defend that.

Good point about the freezing halfway bit (I used to put the line 'play tested for about an hour' in the past), but either way I think its worth the minimal risk.  I never sold on Amazon before, but I hear it has just as many problems for sellers too, so there aren't that many options with that kind of audience.

I don't sell that much, but so far in the few cases where a SNAD was opened (three times I think) I had enough information in the listing that the buyer didn't have much to go on and (so far) timed out in my favor.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but hen again most people don't post about the good experiences compared to the contrary.

Amazon has less problems, but there was a guy who gave me bad feedback because he wanted an LE even though it was a standard edition page and I never mentioned the LE in the description.

bread's done
Back