$399.99 Xbox One or $499.99 COD:AW Xbox One

Mr. Sasaki

CAGiversary!
I've been recently thinking of buying an Xbox One for my little brother and I. We have also been thinking about reserving the Limited Edition Call of Duty Xbox One at my local Best Buy. The concern I have is if it is worth the extra $100 for Advance Warfare and 1TB to opposed getting some sort of USB 3.0 external? I might pick up and play Advance Warfare, but it will be mostly my little brother playing that new co-op survival mode that was recently announced. What do you fello CAGers think?

Any advice and reccommendations will be greatly appreciated, and please no "buy a PS4 instead", played with one, didn't like it at all.

Personally, I would go with the 1 TB hard drive edition. That's an extra 500 gigs of HDD space, and you also have a custom console and controller.

That being said you can always sell the copy (if it's physical) on eBay for close to MSRP price. You could also sell the controller a little later on for a profit as well, if not right when you get the system. You would be about 120 bucks to the good, and you can get a used X-Box One controller (or just scrap getting rid of the controller).

Which, if you keep the custom controller, I'm sure you would be able to sell the entire rig a month or two from now for a good profit. Then buy a used X-1.

I'm still rocking a 360 and PS3, but these are just some ideas. I don't know if you can use an external hard drive to save game files etc or not, because I know with the last Gen consoles you couldn't (sorry if I am wrong).

Good luck either way fellow CAG brother. :)

It's likely that the 1TB HDD will end up in future non-special edition versions of the console, like they did with the "Super Elite" versions of the OG 360 like the COD MW2 console.    Having the external HDD as an option for storage makes the internal drive less of an issue that it was with the 360, though I don't know how someone could claim that an external HDD would have better performance than an internal drive.

OP, you're paying for a custom paint job, a custom controller, a copy of the game and 500GB additional hard drive space for another $100.  If you were planning on getting the game anyway and don't have a X1 currently, you'd already be at $460 with MSRP on the non-SE console and the game.  Rest adds up to $40 for 500GB drive space and a custom paint job on the console plus custom controller.

Get the SE console unless you can't swing the additional $100.  It may be worth later if the console is limited and does sell out.

Problem is the internal HDD (5400RPM) is pretty slow.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825463
Thanks to everyone for advice! While Neogaf may have some interesting gaming news every now and then, Digital Foundry and Eurogamer bring up good points in this article about how external HDD's should be approached:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xbox-one-external-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

tl;dr there isn't much boost to loading times on a X1, rather you should look for a better value in size of storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back