Ebay situation/vent

shark974

CAGiversary!
Well this forum claims it's for general auction related chat even though I dont see any except actual auctions...anyway.

So I sold 3 Destiny Ghost edition for XB1 on ebay a while back. I dabble in Ebay occasionaly over the years, generally just in sold out high profit items otherwise it's not worth my time. Anyways I scored 3 Destiny Ghost edition off Amazon as I said. This was a couple weeks after the initial furor so the price was going down, but I knew I could just cancel the order as this was like a month before 9/9 the release date. So I listed a buy it now auction for 300.00, all 3 available on the one auction, which was a decent amount over what auctions were ending for which IIRC was like 260 by then. No bites. After like 1 day I dropped to 290. Next day I logged in to my surprise somebody had bought and paid for all 3! Total was like 870 dollars. After you figure everything, the tax and shipping I paid to Amazon, the ebay fees, etc etc I profited about $240 total, or $80 per game, not too bad.

So I have never done the "change shipping address to buyers" thing with an Amazon order. I was going to recieve the games and ship them out myself. But the guy messages me like a week later and says just change the shipping address to mine, you save shipping etc. So I did. This was amazing as it saves shipping and time, but I did wonder how returns work in that situation. But this auction had the standard ebay "no refunds for this item" disclaimer.

As the game release date neared IIRC I noticed ghost edition prices dropping further, and I figured this guy might be pissed now knowing he overpayed. But whatever, he bought them. But I was already a little worried he might try to weasel out.

Now, thing is I dont check my ebay much. If I'm not selling anything I have no reason to. I might not look at it for months. So, 9/9 the items are shipped and shown recieved on Amazon tracking, I tell the guy enjoy your purchase, leave him good feedback, done. I might not have checked ebay for who knows how long, but last night I go to check, just to see if he had left me good feedback yet. What do you know I have two messages, first one was dated 9/24, 15 days after he recieved the items. He claims conveineintly now that they arrived damaged. says they all had water damage and one was ripped. says he kept "the non-ripped one" (even though I guess he said only one was ripped) but wants to return the other two for refund...I think there was also something from ebay in the message about buyer claiming item is not as described.

Great, I just had this feeling he was going to try to weasel out. I understand, after spending almost 1K on some video games he probably got buyers remorse, and after seeing Ghost edition prices drop, AND I suspect seeing the game may not have supposedly lived up to hype and the Ghost editions were not going to be valuable to resell for even more in the future (my speculation on that part). But not my problem. But I'm betting if the Ghost editions were now selling for 1k, he sure wouldn't be trying to get a refund know what I mean?

So some odd things,first and foremost he waited FIFTEEN DAYS to notify me of damage? From 9/9 to 9/24? This is the same thing people who I believe are suffering buyers remorse have done to me in the past...2 or 3 weeks later they come back claiming damage, you cant claim damage after using an item (in the other case with a leapfrog leappad I sold in the past) after using it for 3 weeks! I know if I spent $860 on some games and they arrived damaged I would be burning the sellers messages/email/phone/whatever up THAT DAY.

Anyways so there is a second message dated 9/28, he says he is going to escelate it to a dispute tomorrow (which would have been 9/29) if I dont reply. Says he didn't want it to come to this etc etc.

I didn't even see these messages till I think late 9/30 early 10/1. As I said, he's lucky I checked ebay at all. Once a sale is done and I dont see anything for a few days I forget about it. And I know most people I buy/sell from on ebay do the same as it's hard to reach people.

Long pointless story even longer, I simply didn't reply, and have no plans to I guess currently. There is nothing that I can see on my account about any dispute being filed against me or so forth. I am guessing he was trying to bluff me so to speak and just decided to forget it. But I suppose he could still file a claim for 30 days or however long they give you.

The first message (9/24) had something about a return initiated, or something. However when I click that link it says something about "return closed" with no details at all. I have no idea what that part means. I am guess maybe he closed it in preparation to supposedly file his dispute?  Ebay is insanely confusing anyway.

I guess the ONLY slight thing is I do feel bad if he recieved damaged product. AND I know there was talk a lot of people were getting damaged Destiny's from Amazon, so that's the other thing that bothers me a little. But I dont know how to respond, I wouldn't mind trying to work with him to get replacements from Amazon, in case it's actually true, but I dont know how that would work either, with the whole changed shipping address to his on Amazon thing. It's all so confusing. But he said he wants REFUNDS from me, not replacement. Which is another reason I'm pretty positive he just got buyers remorse.

Oh also, he included no pictures of the supposedly damaged products. I would have asked him for pics, but frankly I would be afraid he would damage the items himself just so he could take pics for me. And then I'd be really screwed as he'd be hell bent on a refund after that as he'd have damaged worthless product on his hands.

Thing is I dont want to repond to him though cus I feel like just the slightest sign I am alive and he will be all over me LOL. As of now he probably just thinks I dont check ebay, which is normally true.

Anyways so it's mostly just a vent. And maybe people might wanna give any thoughts/details of ebay policies. I have a feeling any replies might just be bashing me and how I'm a horrible person, but we'll see. As of now his last message was 9/28, he said he was going to file a claim 9/29 and as far as I can tell has not done that, so my current plan is to leave it be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brah this is why you don't invest money to sell on ebay.

Too much scammers.

If this guy knows what he's doing he will probably fuck you over good.

Not saying that he's suppose to do that but, it's the reason I avoid selling high end things online.

Last edited by a moderator:
eBays policy on this sucks, but I find it hard to feel bad about a flipper getting screwed over. Next time just buy games you want to play, not that you want to try to make money off of. Also, video games as an investment is just stupid anyways.

As others have said you're pretty much screwed.  If you plan to continue ignoring it Ebay/Paypal will just refund his money automatically and deduct it from whatever credit card or bank account you have tied to your account.  These kinds of things don't just go away, they only get worse by ignoring them.

The only hope you have to win this is the fact that you stated no refunds/returns (however, if it's damaged/not as advertised, eBay may override your disclaimer), and that he waited this long.

If you're absolutely sure there is no dispute currently filed, go ahead and wait it out.  The longer he waits, the better.  While you're waiting, though, you may want to contact Amazon and request a return label.  If the buyer insists on returning it to you, have him ship it back to Amazon, they'll provide a UPS label to return it back to them rather than the mess of having it sent back to you.  The seller will understand this, as they were the one who wanted you to drop-ship it to them in the first place.

The return process may have been (temporarily) stopped due to your no refunds policy in the listing.  If the buyer continues on with an official dispute, you'll probably have to take them back.  At least he's willing to keep one...

As others have said you're pretty much screwed. If you plan to continue ignoring it Ebay/Paypal will just refund his money automatically and deduct it from whatever credit card or bank account you have tied to your account. These kinds of things don't just go away, they only get worse by ignoring them.
I've always been curious about this. What happens if you remove the bank account/card/both whatever is associated with the account? Cards particularly you can cancel at the drop of a hat, no questions asked usually so what happens when eBay goes for your coffers to find no funding source?

So you bought the items from Amazon and resold them on Ebay but had Ebay send the item to the Ebay buyer directly? Seems like it would work, but I wouldn't want to take that sort of risk without handling the merchandise myself beforehand. 

Good luck with your battle keep us updated. 

I've always been curious about this. What happens if you remove the bank account/card/both whatever is associated with the account? Cards particularly you can cancel at the drop of a hat, no questions asked usually so what happens when eBay goes for your coffers to find no funding source?
Collection agency. So you are better off paying a whatever you own them.

Not that it would help but if I was you I would check his eBay history, you can see what he had sold lately, my guess is he brought them to resell and no one wanted them, if you can see his "complete auctions" and if it's the ghost editions that no one brought you should be able to see the condition they are in, just a thought

bread's done
Back