CAGcast #382: The Fox News of Gaming

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
It's a great week to be a gamer with the release of Forza Horizon 2 and Shadow of Mordor.  We also discuss the current state of DLC, Intel pulling ads from Gamasutra and so much more!
Download (1 hour 38 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS

https://audioboom.com/boos/2531239-cagcast-382-the-fox-news-of-gaming

Show Clips

https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/clip-from-cagcast-382-value-and-dlc-forza-more

https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/clip-from-cagcast-382-intel-pulls-ads-from-gamasutra

GoDaddy.com Coupon Codes

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro: Duck Sauce - NRG (Skrillex, Kill The Noise, Milo & Otis Remix) -  Outro: The Curious Case of the Mystery Fart - CAGcast #149

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decompression-vent-toys-font-b-water-b-font-font-b-snake-b-font-5-13cm-big.jpg

Cheapy please share your thoughts on Project Cars. Also 50 years from now circumsision will be considered genital mutalation.

LOL OMG the mic thing is crazy. I get tired of hearing your little kids yelling in the background. I have my mic adapter plugged in all the time but you can still hear the other guys through the speakers. I think there is a setting to play voice through headset only. Maybe that would mute the other guys while I have the adapter plugged in. 

Well I remembered seeing the headset option recently. However, there is no option for voice through headset only on XB1. How embarrassing is it that the PS4 has this option but the XB1 does not haha. Oh well I guess this is another example of MS going backwards instead of forward. 

The Kinect games that I played on the 360 had screens pop up before the game started to remind players to look around for objects in the room they may come into contact with.

Why can't Kinect enabled games on the Xbox One at least have a screen pop up, maybe before the start screen, informing players that their Kinect mic is live and give them the option to disable it?

I agree that many xbox one owners are not broadcasting their living room to others on purpose, just that they have no idea their Kinect mic is on all the time.

It's cool to see that you have clips from the show now, guys. It's a nice touch. Off to my bike ride and to the CAGCast!

A form of terrorism...?

Face palm.

Also, I don't think the point is that conservatives want a "conservative" gaming site...that doesn't even really make sense. What a lot of people want is a professional gaming site that can do ethical journalism and keep their stupid conservative/liberal political statements out of everything. Wombat hit the nail on the head...it doesn't matter...it's video games. When I go to news/editorial sites for Apple or Microsoft news, I don't want or expect politically charged pieces. 

In other news, fan-freakin-tastic podcast! By far my favorite gaming podcast.  

The problem with Destiny is that the most fun part (apparently) is the six-person, multi-hour raids. The rest of the game is the annoying grind to prepare for those raids. I wouldn't have the schedule or enough friends who would own Destiny on the same console to be able to do those raids. Given Cheapy is in Japan he would have more problems scheduling a 6 man raid with CAGs due to the time difference and he has the ever present Tai to look after. In the game you can't just pause, take care of the issue you may have, and then come back to it. You have to set aside long, uninterrupted tracks of time in order to do those raids. Bungie needed to spend more time making the preparation time more enjoyable instead of throwing all their creativity into the raids as a large % of those purchasing the game won't have the means to participate in those raids. All those people have to judge the game is the painfully generic campaign and side missions, and the competitive multiplayer.

Aspects of Gotham are good. Bullock, Falcone, and Nigma seem on the nose. Penguin is a little over the top and Gordon is...I don't know, slightly bipolar or something as he seems to blow up at cops and tell them how to do there job at the slightest infraction. The tone is also pretty all over the place as they shift between gritty realism and camp in the second episode, it makes it harder to accept the world as real. I am also not a fan that they appear to be working child Bruce Wayne into every episode as he just isn't that interesting, like young Anakin in Ep 1, he's just there because they feel he has to be there even if he is drag on the story.

The whole 'keep politics of out reviews' is something I've thought about quite a bit over the years, and I'm not sure how I feel about both sides. You can argue "well, if games are art, we're allowed to have these discussions," but that's not something that applies to all games. For example, there was a Mario Kart 8 review where the writer goes off on a tangent about how Nintendo's roster is full of white people. This is a game where I can drive a car as a green dinosaur, and you're bringing up that there's not enough minorities in it?

It's a weird thing that's difficult to measure. A game's art might make a reviewer uncomfortable, while that's not something others would care about. I guess it all falls under the whole "gameplay vs. story" debate, on how some writers prefer to discuss a game's mechanics, while others will spend more time analyzing the narrative of a title. There's interesting conversations to be had by looking at a game's symbolism, but since it's a more serious subject, it has a to be presented in a way that is not condescending on people who may disagree with you. 

Edit: I chuckled when Shipwreck was pointing out how Wombat was anti-boycott this time around and groaned when Wombat asked if the Intel stuff was terrorism. 

I have no idea what Shipwreck and Wombat were talking about about cable TV costing nothing, but their statement that cable TV won't cost you any more a month with broadband is absolutely false.

I was a Time Warner Cable customer for many years and my bill for cable and Internet was around 160 a month.  This also included the rental of a DVR, which was around 15 dollars a month.  We did not get HBO, Showtime, or any other premium channel / service.  We called several times to try to get a package deal that would reduce our costs, and every time they told us they only had cheaper deals for new customers, or could only offer us a slightly cheaper deal for 6-12 months if we subscribe to another service like phone or home security, but once the special was up the cost would be higher than the 160 dollars we were already paying.  

So we cut out cable TV entirely.  Our bill went from 160 dollars to less than 60 dollars a month.  We are saving over a hundred dollars a month just by cutting out cable.  I wish I would have done it years ago, because I haven't missed it one bit.  Oddly enough, since we still get the broadband,TWC uses the same unfiltered bandwidth to provide their basic channels.  So I can still get HD feeds from several channels: NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, PBS, CNN, TBS, WGN to name a few of the major ones.  We get about 15 HD channels in all.  From what I understand, TWC is trying to eliminate this by encrypting all the channels, but most areas have not done this yet.  I believe NYC is one of the few areas where they actually have encrypted everything.  

In addition to Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu we are also using the Chromecast quite a bit.  It's pretty easy just to go to cbs.com, and find the latest episode of Big Bang Theory or whatever, then stream it to the Chromecast.  I was surprised to see that even the History channel has all the latest full episodes of Pawn Stars on their web site.  So go with your instinct and don't get cable.  I'm sure you could put a digital antenna behind your TV and get all the major networks, including PBS, so you can still catch all your episodes of Frontline.

I have no idea what Shipwreck and Wombat were talking about about cable TV costing nothing, but their statement that cable TV won't cost you any more a month with broadband is absolutely false.

I was a Time Warner Cable customer for many years and my bill for cable and Internet was around 160 a month. This also included the rental of a DVR, which was around 15 dollars a month. We did not get HBO, Showtime, or any other premium channel / service. We called several times to try to get a package deal that would reduce our costs, and every time they told us they only had cheaper deals for new customers, or could only offer us a slightly cheaper deal for 6-12 months if we subscribe to another service like phone or home security, but once the special was up the cost would be higher than the 160 dollars we were already paying.

So we cut out cable TV entirely. Our bill went from 160 dollars to less than 60 dollars a month. We are saving over a hundred dollars a month just by cutting out cable. I wish I would have done it years ago, because I haven't missed it one bit. Oddly enough, since we still get the broadband,TWC uses the same unfiltered bandwidth to provide their basic channels. So I can still get HD feeds from several channels: NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, PBS, CNN, TBS, WGN to name a few of the major ones. We get about 15 HD channels in all. From what I understand, TWC is trying to eliminate this by encrypting all the channels, but most areas have not done this yet. I believe NYC is one of the few areas where they actually have encrypted everything.

In addition to Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu we are also using the Chromecast quite a bit. It's pretty easy just to go to cbs.com, and find the latest episode of Big Bang Theory or whatever, then stream it to the Chromecast. I was surprised to see that even the History channel has all the latest full episodes of Pawn Stars on their web site. So go with your instinct and don't get cable. I'm sure you could put a digital antenna behind your TV and get all the major networks, including PBS, so you can still catch all your episodes of Frontline.
Fellow cable cutter here. The reality is that, in most parts of the country, a new customer can get the Cable/Internet/Phone package for $80 or $90/month. The internet is their lowest level (10/15 MBPS usually), the cable is the basic digital package (with like 60/70 channels) and the phone is... well, no one cares.

If you get the highest available internet speeds (50/100 depending on where you live), it's probably gonna run you $70-80/month. So Ship is correct that there is a full package available that's more or less the same price as "just the internet". However, that's before all of their bullshit fees are taken in to account and if you don't mind having shitty, barely fast enough to stream Netflix speeds.

I personally have Time Warner's 2nd highest internet available and pay $55/month where as my basic package with HD/2nd tier internet was over $100/month. Just be smart, do your research and BUY YOUR OWN GODDAMNED CABLE MODEM.

This podcast was so damn painful to listen to. It's not because of the views espoused, but that they were so clearly uninformed and just parroted what they'd heard from some people over twitter. I really expected more.

Whew that whole heated debate at the end is something I didn't really like. Kind of killed the show for me and it even made Cheapy forget about the CAGbag! 

I kind of predicted a ton of praise for Forza Horizon 2 and Shadow of Mordor. Glad to hear that Forza has a mix between arcade and sim. I enjoyed Need for Speed Rivals and the older Burnout games so when I finally get an Xbox One, Forza will probably be one of my first games. Shadow of Mordor kind of came out of nowhere but I'm glad that everyone is liking it. It sounds really interesting and will probably be the next game I buy for PS4.

I personally just hit level 22 in Destiny and I agree that after the story missions and Level 20, the game just felt like it had nothing more to offer. My friends seem to have mostly moved on and I have no motivation to gather up a group to go and do the raids. I know some people like the new weekly events and doing pvp but I'm not too into that stuff. I agree with Wombat that the game will probably lose more of it's user base as it gets closer to the DLC. I got the limited edition sadly and as Cheapy said, I expected more and got a lot less than I expected. If the DLCs I got with the game end up not adding much, I think my time with Destiny will be over. 

A form of terrorism...?

Face palm.

Also, I don't think the point is that conservatives want a "conservative" gaming site...that doesn't even really make sense. What a lot of people want is a professional gaming site that can do ethical journalism and keep their stupid conservative/liberal political statements out of everything. Wombat hit the nail on the head...it doesn't matter...it's video games. When I go to news/editorial sites for Apple or Microsoft news, I don't want or expect politically charged pieces.

In other news, fan-freakin-tastic podcast! By far my favorite gaming podcast.
Today, I learned that because I am tired of reading a bunch of poorly written articles from drop-outs or communications majors who are a paycheck away from writing copy for super market circulars about social issues (but only the one social issue of gender and sex, it seems) in my hobby every other article and because I care about ethics and integrity in the media I consume, I am a conservative and am really just angry that these sites are staffed by mostly liberal young Californians.

I mean, I know everyone gasped at "boycotting is terrorism", but this really gave that a run for stupidity.

A lot of the other comments were clearly pretty ignorant. Saying things like "nobody cares about ethics in game journalism or they'd be writing about it", which disregards the whole point that the main writers at the main outlets had colluded to frame the entire issue from one point of view and disregard any dissenting or different views. And disregards things like the feminists at Honey Badger Radio podcast who have been criticizing the social justice thing in gaming for months. Or established academic feminists who have raised issues. Or the countless people with that #notyourshield hashtag who pretty clearly seem as diverse in their politics as they are in their gender, orientation, and skin tone. Or the guys who have written articles both as fellow game journalists or game developers talking about how they have different viewpoints, but are pressured by their colleagues and publications to shut the hell up about them and not voice any dissenting views lest their careers be put on the block.

There are also people like me, who want gaming to include everyone that wants to game or make games, but is tired of the lack of professionalism in the press side and am pretty tired of opening my news feed every day to waves of social justice crap where I expect stuff about gaming (not stuff capitalizing on the gaming platform and audience). And, gasp, someone who has financially supported people like Zoe Quinn via her Patreon (which is now at like $40,000/yr) and then stopped supporting them (and her) when they started going out of their way to shame, dismiss, and silence other people's opinions. I'm not going to support someone so they can have a voice in gaming so that they can use that voice to shut other people up.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Game journalism is on the same inevitable path of print and most other outlets. They don't have a viable business model. "Eyes to advertisements" won't cut it much longer. They aren't offering much that is unique that can't be gotten elsewhere online... and telling their audiences that they're dead and attacking them on a daily basis isn't helping them delay that inevitability. There's going to be a day that they're all going back to school or scraping by doing copy writing and the audience will have moved on. Some of us already have (despite Polygon's success at bringing a re-invented form of more ethical game journalism to the world, with great articles like "the chick from Game of Thrones took a picture of herself flipping the camera off" and "here's a video of top 10 toys in the 90s".).

I kind of predicted a ton of praise for Forza Horizon 2 and Shadow of Mordor. Glad to hear that Forza has a mix between arcade and sim. I enjoyed Need for Speed Rivals and the older Burnout games so when I finally get an Xbox One, Forza will probably be one of my first games. Shadow of Mordor kind of came out of nowhere but I'm glad that everyone is liking it. It sounds really interesting and will probably be the next game I buy for PS4.

I personally just hit level 22 in Destiny and I agree that after the story missions and Level 20, the game just felt like it had nothing more to offer. My friends seem to have mostly moved on and I have no motivation to gather up a group to go and do the raids. I know some people like the new weekly events and doing pvp but I'm not too into that stuff. I agree with Wombat that the game will probably lose more of it's user base as it gets closer to the DLC. I got the limited edition sadly and as Cheapy said, I expected more and got a lot less than I expected. If the DLCs I got with the game end up not adding much, I think my time with Destiny will be over.
Horizon 2 hasn't been that bad. I find the DLC and VIP passes gross, but the game is decent. The online aspects are terrible, though. I really wanted more of a Burnout style of online play. That is, the ability to sort of have a quick pick-up game where people are just racing around. Or roads populated with other live players. Rivals had this a year ago. I could just jump in and immediately have real people around me. We could race together. Or not. We could just do our own thing. Horizon just gives me AI cars with real people's names on them. It makes it a pretty boring experience that feels very lifeless.

I played Mordor for an hour or two after buying it. I haven't touched it, since. I might go back to it. It seems fairly decent, but it has two things going against it -- I am sick and tired of Assassin's Creed with their more than annual releases and I am sick and tired of LOTR. Maybe the whole nemesis system is impressive in the console world (and I'm playing this in PS4), but I just find it kind of underwhelming. I also find the world kind of ugly. Not in a "sure, it's going into Mordor!" ugly way. More in a... everything is brownd and sort of blocky art style sort of way.

I find it impressive that you made it that far in Destiny. I played from the moment it launched until I hit level six or seven a few hours later. I have not touched it in the month since. My brother, who I also bought a copy for, hasn't even installed it. I am not looking forward to going back and playing more. When we first started seeing promotional stuff for Destiny, I said "it's going to be a half billion dollar Warframe". That's exactly what it was. Only Warframe has more content and variety... and is free... and has more models and classes and styles of play...

I wanted to like it. I wanted to feel compelled to get all sorts of look and level up and build up my character and play with people. Their whole ad campaign was about how you spent all this time customizing yourself and specializing yourself. They made a huge deal about how incredibly social the game is. Like you'd just have all sorts of people around you all the time and you could just stroll up to them and start conversing or show them your cool stuff or get a party together. Instead, I've never heard one soul talking, am usually finding myself alone, and there doesn't seem to be any way to engage in conversations. Unless you have a ton of people in real life who are playing the same game and on the same platform and on the same schedule, the game just doesn't seem to offer much (and maybe not then, either). If you just want to go into the game and get groups together to play the game with... tough. Not going to happen.

I feel only slightly less ripped off with Destiny than I did with Sim City. It seems pretty clear what happened with development and the future plans and that makes it incredibly gross.

-Shipwreck and Cheapy should read Leigh Alexander's article, to see how right they were. She's very vitriolic in it, and does some gross generalization of her own. 

-Funny that Wombat jokes about being the 'Glenn Beck of Videogames' ten minutes after asking if sending letters to a tech company is TERRORISM.

-Shipwreck is right that it's worth examining these issues, and that it definitely does affect even the bigger games.  Mass Effect fans were vocal enough to get Female Shepard into the marketing and even the Box Art of Mass Effect 3.  Also, remember all of the hubbub around no female assassins in Unity?  The Dead Island statue thing?  AAA developers are listening and reacting.

-Leigh Alexander, the subject of the article which caused the uproar that led to Intel pulling marketing, is not a nice person.  http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/14/148012/2651937-capture.jpg

It doesn't mean that she's worth attacking or trying to pull marketing, though.

That said, GamerGate's problematic.  Go after the publishers.  The guys who embargo reviews until release date and try to trick everyone into buying the game before that.  The guys who sneakily pay youtoubers to say good things about their games. The guys who blacklist websites who say bad things about their games, or try to bully websites into changing their coverage. 

Internet whining about gaming journalism makes me want to quit the internet. Too many people have way too much time on their hands. Games are supposed to be fun. In a world where we have killed off 50% of all animals on earth in the last 40 years - this is not something worth anyone's attention.

Internet whining about gaming journalism makes me want to quit the internet. Too many people have way too much time on their hands. Games are supposed to be fun. In a world where we have killed off 50% of all animals on earth in the last 40 years - this is not something worth anyone's attention.
So people shouldn't be passionate about their hobbies? We should only be passionate about what eataburger supports and cares about? Lol...ok cool.

The problem with Destiny is that the most fun part (apparently) is the six-person, multi-hour raids. The rest of the game is the annoying grind to prepare for those raids. I wouldn't have the schedule or enough friends who would own Destiny on the same console to be able to do those raids. Given Cheapy is in Japan he would have more problems scheduling a 6 man raid with CAGs due to the time difference and he has the ever present Tai to look after. In the game you can't just pause, take care of the issue you may have, and then come back to it. You have to set aside long, uninterrupted tracks of time in order to do those raids. Bungie needed to spend more time making the preparation time more enjoyable instead of throwing all their creativity into the raids as a large % of those purchasing the game won't have the means to participate in those raids. All those people have to judge the game is the painfully generic campaign and side missions, and the competitive multiplayer.
Agreed. They promoted the game as if it was a new coming of social gaming experiences. In reality, it feels empty and lonely. I was really disheartened when they revealed the raid aspects. I do not know five other people who play video games, much less on the same platform, the same genre, and who could arrange to do so regularly (or even once) at the same time as each other.

I agree, games are supposed to be fun. So why does every other story in my newsfeed from gaming sites center on telling me what a privileged cis-gendered hetero-normative white male I am and how I should feel bad for being who I am and how I should detest everyone else who plays games because they're probably bad people who want to do bad things to underprivileged people? I mean, I don't mind an occasional "here's a look at a different aspect of gaming culture or the industry" stuff, but a daily barrage from every source? Where's the "fun" in that?

(And, no, just because I don't want to be bombarded with this topic in my recreational activity doesn't mean I dismiss it as an issue entirely. It means I don't want to deal with it in my recreation, the same way I don't want to be accosted by someone selling me religion or trying to get me to sign a proposition to put on the ballot when I go to have dinner with my family).

Ship...

Is this you??

http://i.imgur.com/uNQpSNf.jpg

Saw it pop up on reddit. It was from the Cincy Pearl Jam concert.

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2i6qwa/saw_a_guy_with_a_discman_and_velcro_shoes_at_a/

Pale skin. Check, 90s fashion, Check. Running shorts. Check. Could be......!!

edit

This comment from that reddit thread was particularly good.

"you were in Cincinnati, what do you expect?"
I'm scared to look at what a Pearl Jam audience might look like, these days. I feel old enough, as it is.

[quote name="ttados" post="12136390" timestamp="1412365564"]So people shouldn't be passionate about their hobbies? We should only be passionate about what eataburger supports and cares about? Lol...ok cool.[/quote]

I believe everyone here (including me) is passionate about gaming. I'm talking about being passionate about playing/collecting/discussing... vs politicizing it and in-fighting about nothing that matters to anyone except as something to argue about. I regret not using an example within the gaming hobby. I didn't mean to belittle the passion people have for their hobbies.

I believe everyone here (including me) is passionate about gaming. I'm talking about being passionate about playing/collecting/discussing... vs politicizing it and in-fighting about nothing that matters to anyone except as something to argue about. I regret not using an example within the gaming hobby. I didn't mean to belittle the passion people have for their hobbies.
Ahhh gotcha! fair enough and yeah I pretty much agree.

Xbox 360 and One have TheCW app that let's you watch Arrow and The Flash (and Supernatural) for free. Unlike a lot of those type of apps you don't have to enter your cable provider info. (Which is bulls--- for broadcast channels.)

Anchorman 2 was garbage. I generally don't do comedy sequels, but the lady suggested we check it out and that rarely happens, so I agreed. We quit about forty minutes into it.

The light system in Destiny is holding my game hostage. I can't play the raids until I reach level 26, but the loot is not giving me what I need to progress despite the patch.

Can we get Shipwreck to say the name of that Pearl Jam song again? Something sounded a bit off there. (around 12:25)

Once again, the democratically and economically elected leader of the CheapAss contingent accurately represents the people. The current trends in game pricing are truly affecting the consumer perspective for the worse. It feels like some horrible upselling technique that makes the product sold at MSRP seem like a horribly incomplete, soon to be obsolete package. The only way I could feel worse about my purchase in most of these situations would be to actually buy the more expensive editions. We can stop this from happening. All we need to do is close our wallets or agree to buy just the game, but people nowadays are not interested in being discerning consumers. Here on CAG, it can be expected that many of us are, but with the general public, I think we're well outnumbered by the "Shut Up and Take My Money" crowd who can't wait for $150 versions of games they've never played and could easily purchase for less than half that price. The way I see it, anyone who buys anything more expensive than the MSRP version of the game is voting against their own interests.

I got very nervous when I heard Cheapy come on at the end for a special message.  I thought it was going to be some sort of apology for something someone said on the show.  Not many things I hate more than people making unnecessary apologies for things they say.  Boy was I relieved when I realized it was a special message about Wombat farting.  

Also wanted to say how much I enjoyed Cheapy's story about the homeless brown dick, and Wombat's story about the "DONT LOOK AT ME" liquid shit lady story.

Keep up the great work guys!!! 

Forza Horizon 2 sounds great, and I'm definitely going to buy it, but I wish Cheapy would mention the fact that FH2 took all the open world features directly from Test Drive Unlimited 2. That game had bugs, but all the great things about FH2 (free roam, online multiplayer, variety of activities, collectibles), and also included house buying and tons of clothes for your driver. The islands of Ibiza and Oahu were recreated in TDU2, and it was great! I'm just saying TDU2 should get some of the credit for pioneering the open world car game, and not just Burnout Paradise.

Peace,

Cold Grave

Horizon 2 hasn't been that bad. I find the DLC and VIP passes gross, but the game is decent. The online aspects are terrible, though. I really wanted more of a Burnout style of online play. That is, the ability to sort of have a quick pick-up game where people are just racing around. Or roads populated with other live players. Rivals had this a year ago. I could just jump in and immediately have real people around me. We could race together. Or not. We could just do our own thing. Horizon just gives me AI cars with real people's names on them. It makes it a pretty boring experience that feels very lifeless.
I guess you are playing on Xbox 360. The XB1 version has all that. As I mentioned on the show, the first the game does when you start is put you in a car meet while it matches you with live players.

It's cool to see that you have clips from the show now, guys. It's a nice touch. Off to my bike ride and to the CAGCast!
Yeah, I will try to make this a regular thing.

Just be smart, do your research and BUY YOUR OWN GODDAMNED CABLE MODEM.
Agreed, a good condition used Docsis 3 one costs $20 or so. Pays for itself inside of three months. They were wrong about pricing, maybe if you get no dvr, no hd, and an intro price it's almost the same price. For most people, it's $150 or $200/mo vs $50/mo. That's real money over time.

Re the gamergate stuff, as a political centrist the whole thing turns me off, the people most invested are just plain distasteful. On one side you have far-left, paranoid feminists, while the other side is a bunch of reactionary misogynists.

Fox News didn't make its money on being "fair and balanced." As many decent journalists they have there, what gets them ratings are the loudest voices on the channel, and same can be said for MSNBC. Nobody missing half a brain really cares about serious news, and like Anchorman 2 showed, what the typical American cares about is the news they want that will tug at their hearts and scratch their bellies. If the FN of gaming does exist, they have to work pretty damn hard to prevent themselves from actually imploding on itself, considering without those decent journalists as a foundation, they will end up invariably tearing itself apart.

Wow, CheapyD. Your parents have to send you a video game every time a company sends you one instead of a code? Well, another thing about moving back to America: you're going to miss your super amazing speeds. A while ago, you said your ISP banned you for downloading too fast. I'm sure you can afford the fastest internet in the US, but if you end up with a plan like most Americans, with either relatively slow speeds or a usage cap of 250GB, that's something you have to give up.

Wombat, I appreciate your Pearl Jam singing. I'll say it again: work on that album!

Shipwreck, how is your Game Boy Advance collection coming along? We'd like to hear an update.

Great show,

Cheapy, you should buy that guy a pair of pants

Just like you guys said, I think out of all my gaming friends that I met first in real life and not in games or online, I'm the only one that pays attention to any gaming news. I will tell them things I find interesting but they don't care about game "journalism" or any of that crap. They just play games.

Great show,

Cheapy, you should buy that guy a pair of pants

Just like you guys said, I think out of all my gaming friends that I met first in real life and not in games or online, I'm the only one that pays attention to any gaming news. I will tell them things I find interesting but they don't care about game "journalism" or any of that crap. They just play games.
Your friends are a perfect description of me. I couldn't give two shits about gaming journalism. Just tell me if a game is good, what new games are coming, and game sales. Everything else is going in one ear out the other.

What are Cheapy's plans for watching Flyers game when he is back in NY - Gamecenter? hockeystreams?  I don't mind paying for TV as part of FIOS because I watch the Flyers on CSN, TCN and NBCSN, and I also watch the English Premier League on NBCSN. And I like having HBO and being able to easily DVR the shows I like.

Wombat is right about Anchorman 2, but the scene at the black family's house was hysterical to me.

I'm excited for Cheapy and his family. Growing up in the US for Tai is gonna be such a cool experience. Cheapy, when are you going to teach Tai the classic, "IM WALKIN OVER HEEEEH!!"?

Great show as always guys.

My 2 cents:

1) All the talk about Forza Horizon 2 made me want to go out and get an XB1.  Then the Kinect discussion reminded me why I don't have one, and talked me out of it.

2) Re: DLC

I only really have an issue with it when they withhold seemingly vital content, like "real" endings.  Yes I'm looking at you PoP 08 and Azura's Wrath!

The DLC I pay money for is always worth it.  Borderlands, Obvlion, Skyrim and Mass Effect.  Coincidentally enough those are games I was completely satisfied with the amount of content already in the game.

3) DLC part deux

PS1 games were 40 bucks.  PS2 games jumped to 50 bucks.  Sixty dollars very quickly became the standard price for PS360 games. 

Now here we are 8 or 9 years later and games are still 60 bucks, and DLC is the main reason.  I'll take that over my base game rising to 70 or 80 bucks, thank you very much.

4) Wombat's main thrust the last few podcasts about [redacted] is on point. 

There are valid points raised on both sides BUT when you associate yourselves with the asshats responsible for literal harassment of real people you are on the wrong side of this.  Period.

People that say [redacted] is a good thing because it brings valid criticisms to light are almost as bad as handwringers that mis-guidedly suggest something is terrorism.

5) "I'm just asking the question!"  Loving Wombat can be so hard sometimes, sigh.

6) Did anyone else think that the guy who won Cheapy's contest about Wombat's fart is probably the same guy who has it as his avatar?  "Hey only 1 guy got it right and he answered immediately!!!"

[quote name="ZombieJeebus" post="12137252" timestamp="1412390009"]

6) Did anyone else think that the guy who won Cheapy's contest about Wombat's fart is probably the same guy who has it as his avatar? "Hey only 1 guy got it right and he answered immediately!!!"[/quote]

Fartgate!!!

Ship, I know you don't care about Smash Bros, but are you really going to pass up on Club Nintendo's soundtrack offer? Won't missing out on an exclusive collectible thingee haunt you forever?

And I agree, Forza Horizon 2 is pretty damn great, but didn't anyone play the first Horizon? They just polished up the great game they already had. They beefed up the online stuff, but I remember all this fun driving really grabbing me the first time around. The map is a definite improvement though, no more stupid dead-end canyon areas. Why they still won't let us customize the generic, silent white dude driver is beyond me.

When an article like that is published, one would have to be an idiot not to expect fallout from advertisers. Or maybe they just forgot that deriding the target audience usually isn't good business sense.

It's actually not that hard to find homeless people in Japan. Have you ever been in Nishinari-ku in Osaka? It's the most dangerous ward in Japan, with the highest murder rate. Of course, it's all relative, and you can probably still just walk around with your long-wallet sticking out of your back pocket, as the Japanese are prone to do.

Simply taking the south exit out of Shin-Imamiya Station already makes you go "Wow... where did I just end up?" The place is significantly more run down than the rest of Osaka. It's also extremely popular with backpackers due to the cheap hotels (doya) that the homeless use when it's cold. My own room, with TV and aircon for 1200 yen a night? fuck yeah.

Of course, the place doesn't get really interesting until you head even further south, and reach Kamagasaki. Probably the only place in Japan that could be considered a slum. Though there's a similar place in Tokyo as well, near Minamisenju Station. It's called Sanya, and just like in Osaka, there's cheap hotels nearby that are very popular with backpackers.

And then there's the various parks all over Japan. I think a homeless person once tried to steal my bag in the park next to the Tokyo Metro Government Building. He kept following me for a good 20 mins, and every time I turned around to show that I was onto him, he would b-line for the nearest path into the bushes. I actually planned to sleep in the park that night, but obviously thought otherwise with that guy on my tail. Generally that type of thing doesn't happen though, and Japan is extremely safe.

bread's done
Back