PS4 Thumbsticks

ApolloSupreme

CAGiversary!
Anybody have issues with their thumbsticks tearing?

My left stick tore today. It makes me wonder why Sony cheaped out and opted to go with a stick that wasn't one solid entity like the DS3.

I used my wife's nail polish to stop the damage for now. I also ordered a set of Kontrol Freeks.

I gotta say though, I'm disappointed in Sony and yeah I know it's covered under warranty but it's a pain in the ass to ship this to them and in the meantime, no controller. Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had issues with the sticks personally but apparently it was an issue early on. Have you had your ps4 since launch? I use GelTabs on both of my controllers. They aren't big and bulky like the KontrolFreaks and they are comfortable.

That's one thing with the Xbox One, I love the sticks for that controller. Maybe because I barely use it, I don't know.

My ps4's controllers are heavily used. Not just by myself but a 5 year old as well. Nothing wrong with my them. What are you doing with yours?

The launch DS4's had some pretty bad build issues. I had to replace mine due to tearing and after a while the new one started to show ware as well. I finally just threw some geltabz on it, which are great BTW and you should buy them even if you dont have tearing. They add a bit of height and a overall better grip. I havent had any issues with my blue one though, the thumbsticks on that one seem to be made of a better material.

I just sent my launch day controller back to Sony for replacement last week.  It had tearing of the rubber on both analog sticks and the left stick was randomly registering 'down' even when centered (the main reason I ended up sending it back).

I used https://rma.scea.com/rma/rma.htm?_flowExecutionKey=_c7981A2DB-9388-5D29-8696-0ECA56CFFE7A_k58E61372-C428-45F7-87EF-47DD7331C1C1, just needed my system's serial number.

Disappointing they make you cover the shipping cost to the service center (for me it was about $5) and don't really give you a time frame to expect your replacement controller.

I'll update when I get it back.

Before I sent it back though, I was thinking of getting aluminium thumbstick replacements and putting rubber grips on those.

I've heard mixed results that putting grips like the KontrolFreek ones does more damage to the rubber ones than it prevents.

Anyone use the aluminium ones?  Feedback on how they feel?

I have launch DS4's  with no issues. Putting stick covers on them seem to help.

Got my replacement DS4 back yesterday.  Was a pretty quick turnaround, even with shipping times it only took a week.

I can already tell that the rubber is a better material.  The rubber on my old one was soft, squishy, and felt like it was moving on top of the plastic - like it's 2 separate pieces.

The new one fells a lot harder and doesn't have the squishy feeling to it.  It feels more like it's 1 molded piece, more like the DS3 was.

Hopefully it actually holds up.

I haven't had any tears but my thumbs were constantly slipping off the sticks. I have never had that happen with a game controller. Ended up buying some grips and that solved the problem.

I have two controllers the ripping of the thumbstick is starting to occur on one controller.  I really wish the PS4 controller had the X1 thumbsticks, I do prefer those.  

I have two controllers the ripping of the thumbstick is starting to occur on one controller. I really wish the PS4 controller had the X1 thumbsticks, I do prefer those.
You can buy the sticks on amazon, and there's a seller on this site I believe also. There's also a mod available for it. Personally I just don't want to deal with it. The last mod job I did myself was with the original xbox and I had a lot more free time then.

You can buy the sticks on amazon, and there's a seller on this site I believe also. There's also a mod available for it. Personally I just don't want to deal with it. The last mod job I did myself was with the original xbox and I had a lot more free time then.
I completed the mod; it came out Great! Using the X1 Thumbsticks on the PS4 controller makes a BIG difference.

[quote name="jedi0077" post="12141300" timestamp="1412604714"]My ps4's controllers are heavily used. Not just by myself but a 5 year old as well. Nothing wrong with my them. What are you doing with yours?[/quote]
Playing games.

So I bought a set of KF stick attachments. I found that they popped off a couple times last night while playing last of us. Anyone have any issues with these for PS4?

I'll eventually figure out my controller woes, maybe thumbsticks covers is what I really will like. I just wish Sony used the same sticks used for PS3. They were much better.

I'm not having issues with tearing, but with my dual shock 4 controllers acting as though I'm pressing a direction when I'm not, and no one's giving any assistance on it.

I may try krazy gluing my kontrol Freeks on to the sticks so they don't pop off. I gotta say, I think these kontrol Freeks are a little overrated. They're not as secure as I expected.

Do any of you guys have the white DS4? I do, and the sticks are holding up nicely. I play resogun and TLOU MP regularly and no tearing so far.

I'm not having issues with tearing, but with my dual shock 4 controllers acting as though I'm pressing a direction when I'm not, and no one's giving any assistance on it.
I dont think that a common issue thats why. Maybe you should try contacting Sony.

In regards to the camo controller, are the sticks still hard plastic coated in rubber? If that's the case I predict the same issues in the future...
It's a hard textured rubber. I don't think it's plastic coating, it seems to be one hard plastic mold, like the X1 thumb stick. I'm not too sure.

One thing's for certain, if I have the same problem with the new pad, I have no problem putting in the X1 thumb sticks.

Hmmm... Well I krazy glued my kontrol Freeks onto my tearing sticks. I will play a couple hours tonight and see how it goes.

[quote name="ApolloSupreme" post="12198247" timestamp="1414717366"]Hmmm... Well I krazy glued my kontrol Freeks onto my tearing sticks. I will play a couple hours tonight and see how it goes.[/quote]
Gamed for three hours last night. Last of Us for two hours and Black Flag for an hour and the sticks held great. I don't think they'll ever come off again. lol

This is with my left stick all torn up(so the fit wasn't perfect). This is much better than buying a new controller or waiting on Sony to send me a new one and paying shipping on it.

The krazy glued kontrolfreeks are still holding up really well. It dropped one bead of glue to touch up in one spot, that's it.

bread's done
Back