So a Trader Joe's just opened up near me. Recommendations?

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
A new Trader Joe's just opened up about a week ago. We went the other day and picked up several interesting items. For example Ice Cream Mochi, Bool Kogi, Fontina Cheese, Smoked Salmon Dip, frozen 4 cheese pizza, cookie butter, cheap beer, dried green beans, etc.

Anyways all the stuff we got was really good so I was curious if you guys have any recommendations.

Some things that come to mind are the frozen fruit bars, frozen tempura chicken, Strawberry Yogurt Covered O's cereal, the heat n eat (or freeze, defrost n eat) meals (Chicken lasagna, spicy chicken fettucini alfredo, turkey meatloaf), Goat cheese ravioli, lobster ravioli, frozen mac n cheese, onion bagels, any of the scones, the hot chocolate mix, and the applewood smoked bacon (omg the bacon).

Just buy the Cinnamon cat cookies. I had to quit going there because it was in my shopping cart every trip.

Dried fruits are fine too. But normally, if you live near a decent fruit and vegetable market, you won't really need to go there. All the Trader Joe's accessible by a 40 to 1 hour train ride, but a fruit market is within walking distance.

I HATE hummus with a passion. But theirs is actually pretty good. TD's produce is also reasonably priced. It's where I get avacados. Their frozen fruit and vegetables are awesome, too.

Not sure if you cook with coconut oil but they sell it for cheaper than anywhere I've found locally. Granted it's always going to be more expensive than vegetable oil but it's a good and healthy alternative if you ever want to try something different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mac n cheese BITES?

This sounds interesting

I must look for this next trip
yeah the box should look similar to this

SUPERTASTER_MAC_CHEESE_300.jpg

I also like their Sriacha and General Tsos bottled sauces.  And the frozen Vegetable Fried Rice.  2 minutes in the microwave and it's good to go.

Never understood what the obsession with Trader Joe's is. (or Whole Foods)

I can usually find everything I need cheaper at a Fred Meyers or Safeway. And in much bigger quantity.  Everything there seems to be in single portions. I got a family to feed!

It's just paying more for things labeled artisan, natural, or organic.

It was recently announced we'll be getting one in 2015. First one in our state (AL) and it will be just a few miles from us. We usually stop at one in ATL or Nashville when we are traveling. We really like their chocolate chips for baking (and pancakes!) and their taco seasoning because it's quick and the ingredients aren't crazy. We also buy gluten free noodles from them.

The soda they sell is good, the brand is dammit, i forget, but they make one called Mandarin lime which is super-tasty.

I got a pound of cashews there for $7 in NJ. That's a stellar deal to me. Whole cashews don't come cheap.

I also heard the wine is really good for the price but a lot of nj stores don't carry it with the liquor laws. Can anyone vouch?

Reed's Ginger Beer and Virgil's Root Beer are amazing. Really, if all you have had is Canada Dry and Mug get ready for your mind to be blown.

I got a pound of cashews there for $7 in NJ. That's a stellar deal to me. Whole cashews don't come cheap.

I also heard the wine is really good for the price but a lot of nj stores don't carry it with the liquor laws. Can anyone vouch?
fucking blue laws. I live in Bergen County now. Hate having to drive if I need to hit up a retail store on a Sunday. I suspect you are probably right about the alcohol in Trader Joe's, but I am not sure. I know in Hudson County (where I previously lived), you cannot sell booze in a grocery store, but in Morris (where I work), you can.

I heard Scotch but it might be a relabel. Either way I'm sure it's vile.

scotch-whisky450%20copy.png
Now you have me curious. If it's not made in Scotland, it ain't Scotch. And you're probably right about how good it is.

As for personal recommendations about craft-style beer, TJ's fall and winter seasonals should be showing up very soon. The Unibroue ales I've tried so far have all been excellent and don't break the bank -- under $4 each for a big bottle (1pt, 6oz).

A lot of people like their two buck chuck, but I don't like red wine so I personally don't like it.

It's supposed to be really good though

A lot of people like their two buck chuck, but I don't like red wine so I personally don't like it.

It's supposed to be really good though
For the price it's better than wine-in-a-box, and it won't give others the visual impression that you're a complete CAD (cheapassdrunk).

Yes - TJ contract brews with Gordon Biersch and Firestone Walker I think I remember reading and maybe Matt Brewing (who's probably most well known for Saranac brand.) And, yes as eLefAdeEr says, the Unibroue contracted seasonal stuff is excellent for the price. I think I remember around 4 bucks for a 750ml. I have a 2011 still in my stash.

I've had a fair bit of the wine over the years - 4 or 5 different styles. It's fine for what it is. I'm not a wine guy but I drink it now and then. To me it's about the same or maybe a little better than the Wal-mart oak leaf 3 buck stuff. We usually have some on hand - think we have 4-5 bottles in there right now. But, as I said, me and my wife aren't wine people and can't really tell a huge difference in a 3 dollar bottle versus say a 20 dollar bottle. I haven't had enough expensive wine to compare though. I can talk beer (and bourbon) all day though... ;)

@bigdaddy
Yeah the blue laws are annoying. I've known several ramapo students who hated not being to get alcohol on Sundays really. Keep in mind they're casualdrinkers not raging alcoholics.

Here in Monmouth County it's not as had but still strict. My understanding is a lot of grocers don't carry booze because it'd cost far more than its worth

-----------------------------

Thanks for the info. I'm not really a wine person myself. That's not to say I don't like it but I've always been a beer, whiskey and bourbon type of person. Anyone have. I realized we have a beer thread but not one for general spirits.

Never understood what the obsession with Trader Joe's is. (or Whole Foods)
I can usually find everything I need cheaper at a Fred Meyers or Safeway. And in much bigger quantity. Everything there seems to be in single portions. I got a family to feed!

It's just paying more for things labeled artisan, natural, or organic.
Yeah that's cause organic is actually better for you.

why? this thread. lol. I am starting a lifestyle change and I find this thread. Chocolate covered expresso beans. Delicious. I use to eat 6-8 in one sitting or pour a few in my coffee. I am staying away from previous mentioned great suggestions for my health. However, if someone can suggest some great coffee, I appreciate it.

bread's done
Back