Fixing a Gamecube controller

goldengraham

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I got a used controller some time ago and have never had the need to use it. When I have a group of friends over we decide to play and all of a sudden we realize the R button on the controller doesn't work. Does anyone know how/have an idea how to fix it? Thanks for any help.

punqsux: It pushes down, but nothing happens
karma: Yeah, I know target has them for that price to but I hate to let somethign I paid for go to waste.

[quote name='goldengraham']punqsux: It pushes down, but nothing happens
karma: Yeah, I know target has them for that price to but I hate to let somethign I paid for go to waste.[/quote]

well pop it open and fiddle around with it...couldnt hurt. look at the L button and press it with the controller open, then do the same with the R, see if anythings diffrent or out of place.

Do you need some kind of special scewdriver to "pop it open". Also, how are you supposed to reach those little screws pushed way back at the bottom?

Well, thanks for the help guys. In the end I got impatient with the damn little screws and just went to down with my flathead screwdriver and pryed the thing apart and shooting all the buttons all over the place. I found the problem, there as a little lever thingy disconnected on the R side. That problem solved, I tried to put back the controller yet to no avail, it was totally mangled. :cry: Oh well, live and learn, and then don't buy used from a store.

[quote name='goldengraham']Well, thanks for the help guys. In the end I got impatient with the damn little screws and just went to down with my flathead screwdriver and pryed the thing apart and shooting all the buttons all over the place. I found the problem, there as a little lever thingy disconnected on the R side. That problem solved, I tried to put back the controller yet to no avail, it was totally mangled. :cry: Oh well, live and learn, and then don't buy used from a store.[/quote]

that was awesome..........you actually expected to get it back toge4ther after ripping it apart with buttons flying all over? youre one optimistic CAG

[quote name='paz9x'][quote name='goldengraham']Well, thanks for the help guys. In the end I got impatient with the damn little screws and just went to down with my flathead screwdriver and pryed the thing apart and shooting all the buttons all over the place. I found the problem, there as a little lever thingy disconnected on the R side. That problem solved, I tried to put back the controller yet to no avail, it was totally mangled. :cry: Oh well, live and learn, and then don't buy used from a store.[/quote]

that was awesome..........you actually expected to get it back toge4ther after ripping it apart with buttons flying all over? youre one optimistic CAG[/quote]

Hey, after the couple cuts I got on my fingers opening that thing, i owed it to myself to try and fix it. While I was able to piece everything back in order (you'd be surprised how much stuff there is in a controller one you open one up), the two screws I broke in the bottom wouldn't fix and then some buttons wouldn't press right cause i snapped the hinges of the Z button. Still, a very worthwhile experience. I think.

Hey, just so everyone knows, the screws on the Gamecube controllers are called triwing screws. Most mom-and-pop hardware stores sell triwing screwdrivers. Or look 'em up on ebay. They are pretty cheap.

I have 3 controllers. One Wavebird, one that game with the system, and one "bootleg" 3d party controller. The official system one's C stick is like, constantly thinking its being pushed, so it's nearly impossible to play with and the other one just doesn't work half of the time... Anyone have any similiar problems with their C-sticks on their controller?

[quote name='Nephets']I have 3 controllers. One Wavebird, one that game with the system, and one "bootleg" 3d party controller. The official system one's C stick is like, constantly thinking its being pushed, so it's nearly impossible to play with and the other one just doesn't work half of the time... Anyone have any similiar problems with their C-sticks on their controller?[/quote]

I have the same problem with the main controller stick. The games think its stuck towards right, but its fine.

I bought I used broke wavebird (on off switch was broke off but still in package) on ebay and fixed. I used reg screwdriver to take apart then used dremal and cut slots in all screws and put back together and still works great

[quote name='6669'][quote name='Nephets']I have 3 controllers. One Wavebird, one that game with the system, and one "bootleg" 3d party controller. The official system one's C stick is like, constantly thinking its being pushed, so it's nearly impossible to play with and the other one just doesn't work half of the time... Anyone have any similiar problems with their C-sticks on their controller?[/quote]

I have the same problem with the main controller stick. The games think its stuck towards right, but its fine.[/quote]

No way is it fine for me, lol, on games like Metroid Prime your weapon always changes, and in most games the camera angles change constantly. :shock:

[quote name='Nephets'][quote name='6669'][quote name='Nephets']I have 3 controllers. One Wavebird, one that game with the system, and one "bootleg" 3d party controller. The official system one's C stick is like, constantly thinking its being pushed, so it's nearly impossible to play with and the other one just doesn't work half of the time... Anyone have any similiar problems with their C-sticks on their controller?[/quote]

I have the same problem with the main controller stick. The games think its stuck towards right, but its fine.[/quote]

No way is it fine for me, lol, on games like Metroid Prime your weapon always changes, and in most games the camera angles change constantly. :shock:[/quote]

You probably need to open them up and clean them out. They're probably sticking. Open them up, carefully pull out the circuit board, and reach to the stick. Wring out a cloth and clean around the casing. When I opened my sticky one, I could see someone had spilt something in it. Let it dry for a few hours. Put it all back together. This does void your warranty. But if they're useless now, why worry?

I have a Wavebird and the control stick is slightly loose so while I'm playing a game(i.e Super Smash Bro's) my character moves automatically. I need some help but, don't say open it and clean it, or compare it to the yellow stick... I already tryed that :/ and the worst thing that happened was that a part of the Z button broke but, it still works.... Can anyone please help me? I don't wanna pay 50 bucks to get it repaired...

[quote name='paz9x']that was awesome..........you actually expected to get it back toge4ther after ripping it apart with buttons flying all over? youre one optimistic CAG[/QUOTE]Haha, that's a funny remark. What a sight right when the controller opens, pieces flying everywhere.

[quote name='Nephets']No way is it fine for me, lol, on games like Metroid Prime your weapon always changes, and in most games the camera angles change constantly. :shock:[/QUOTE]Man, I'm laughing out loud. What a funny thread.

bread's done
Back