CAGcast #384: King of the Playground

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
The CAGcast crew talk Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved, Geometry Wars 3, and more!
Download (1 hour 28 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS

GoDaddy.com Coupon CodesShow Linkage/Notes:
Intro:  -  Outro
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! Time for some coffee and CAGcast. 

As a side note, the Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved demo was the most tedious task I have ever tried to accomplish in the name of "entreatment".  

NPD discussion starts around 1:04:30.

All that Sony advertising for Destiny paid off to the tune of a 90% hardware sales advantage in September.

Great job flying the missing man formation, guys.

At Ship's request, I watched the Hatred trailer.  Did you notice that at one point during the trailer, a portion of the screen is blurred?  I can only assume this was a censoring of in-game nudity.  Amidst all of the social commentary involved with this game, can we take a minute to recognize that they felt the need to blur nudity (something all of us, even children, will likely encounter in our lives), but not to blur senseless and gratuitous violence (something most of us will, hopefully, never encounter in our lives)?

I pulled the ripcord on Gotham after episode 4, I watch too much TV as it is without settling for mediocre. If it ever actually gets good I'll circle around and catch up with a binge watch during the summer.

I think it's very brave for Shipwreck and Wombat to continue on with the CAGcast in lieu of Cheapy's passing.

RIP CheapyD.

NPD discussion starts around 1:04:30.

All that Sony advertising for Destiny paid off to the tune of a 90% hardware sales advantage in September.
MS didn't give out hardware numbers while Sony did, even Pachter was surprised by how off he was so the guys make it seem MS got one over on Sony doesn't add up.

Does Wombat not live near a Best Buy?  With him being a parent of two kids and probably looking to save money,  I'd think he'd be all over the GCU, getting games for $48 and if you choose to trade them in, getting between $38-$44. Not to mention the $10 pre-order bonuses on select games and whatever dlc bonuses. 

Great show guys!

I saw a tweet by CAGhistorian this week that made me want to listen to CAG Foreplay #62! Are the Foreplay episodes still available? The libsyn links in the show archives no longer work... 

Also, the Costume Quest talk made me think of Brutal Legend (also Double Fine). Did you guys play and/or like that game?

The best part of this episode was when Wombat said "bread is done" because the rest was pretty much a snooze fest. Come back soon Cheapy because for some reason this show works better as a trio and not a duo.

Great show guys, even without the Big One. I wonder if Spicer mixes the UNO podcast if duties fell to Shipwreck.

I agree with Wombat about how for some people it's more fun to be the hero in video games, which rarely does happen in open sandbox games. I wonder about his opinions on LA Noire. I loved that game, except for the homicide missions which were mostly dead naked ladies. Everything else was pretty cool, from taking a methodical look at the crime scene, driving around town interviewing people, and chasing after bad guys. It's a shame that there aren't many more like games.

They made two Dynasty Tactics games, but it's been 12 years since the last one. The company that makes these historical simulators also made a Pokemon game with Japanese Feudal Lords. Even if CheapyD were here, he probably couldn't give you a history lesson anyway.

Wombat,

On your Destiny not being a drop in/out game:

I understand it's not the ideal way to play but, I soloed the game by being a couple levels above all the campaign missions. Now I jump into the Strike playlists which have matchmaking. The gear and drops from those playlists (which start at level 18) has allowed me to continue to level and get into the tougher playlists. I don't play the Crucible PvP, but I am still really enjoying the co-op.

It may be a personal taste issue, but Destiny is totally a game you can jump in and out of thanks tot he co-op matchmaking playlists.

Great podcast as always guys!

I found it interesting how y'all both kind of considered the X1 to be the "top", for lack of better wording, console right now. I know Sony is selling a crazy amount of PS4's but I wonder if the general mindset is changing more toward the X1. Obviously, the PS4 will always have better looking games but as far as third party games go, I don't think most people will care about an extra 180p. I have an X1 and recently got a PS4 but I am seriously considering sticking to the X1 for third party games. I don't have a group of friends that play on either console, I prefer the X1 controller for shooters, and the small graphical improvements on the PS4 don't really matter to me. 

What do y'all think? Ship, Wombat, and CAGers who own both consoles, are y'all picking up third party games on the PS4 or X1? Do y'all think the overall population will start buying more X1's or stick to purchasing PS4's?

As a side not, the white PS4 is absolutely b-e-a-utiful.  

What do y'all think? Ship, Wombat, and CAGers who own both consoles, are y'all picking up third party games on the PS4 or X1? Do y'all think the overall population will start buying more X1's or stick to purchasing PS4's?
With the possible exception of the Rebel FM podcast, this is the only one where the hosts seem to prefer the Xbox One over the PS4 (well, at least Shipwreck). Nothing wrong with that; it's just a way to play the games that interest you anyway.

I was a little surprised that you guys skipped over Nintendo's releases this week: Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, and Shantae. I guess (?) Fantasia is interesting, but I would have loved to hear impressions about any of those instead.

Good show guys! I was kind of craving some more NPD talk but I am glad you covered it a bit. 

Can you guys have some guest on while cheapy is away? 

It would be cool to have super programmer john on the show again or mrs shipwreck

I'll bet someone already posted this but since I'm being like cheapy (lazy) and don't wanna do anything I will just write it without looking:

The intro and outros in the show links aren't right. I'm betting it has to do with it not being cheapy posting but just pointing it out as I was kind of interested in the intro music. It's familiar and as soon as someone says it I'll probably have to facepalm myself but I can't get it right now.

Hey Wombat, there's actually a lot of developers in Poland these days. The studios behind The Witcher, Dead Island and Bulletstorm are all located there and you have a number of spinoff groups from those working on Lords of the Fallen, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and lots of other games in progress. Polygon did a big feature on the growing industry there over the summer: http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/7/16/5885167/poland-game-industry

They made two Dynasty Tactics games, but it's been 12 years since the last one. The company that makes these historical simulators also made a Pokemon game with Japanese Feudal Lords. Even if CheapyD were here, he probably couldn't give you a history lesson anyway.
I think the strategy game Wombat was thinking of was probably Kessen for the PS2. And the Musou licenced game Shipwreck couldn't think of was Dragon Quest Heroes.

Yeah I was also surprised by the NPD omission and the Destiny sales talk. It seems like the Sony Hardware numbers show a huge gap in the sales differences which includes the Destiny Bundle, but the conversation seemed to act like they were just unaware of these facts. Maybe you guys can revisit the numbers on the next show and kind of explain what you were thinking in more detail? Thanks

I'll bet someone already posted this but since I'm being like cheapy (lazy) and don't wanna do anything I will just write it without looking:

The intro and outros in the show links aren't right. I'm betting it has to do with it not being cheapy posting but just pointing it out as I was kind of interested in the intro music. It's familiar and as soon as someone says it I'll probably have to facepalm myself but I can't get it right now.
It's a chiptune version of 'Buddy Holly' by weezer.

Good show even if it was a little awkward.

I have to say I realy enjoyed this week's show.  While a bit awckward at times I enjoyed this one more than the recent one where Shipwreck was absent.  I think the slightly combative nature of Wombat and Ship's interactions makes for an entertaining show.  Don't get discouraged guys you are doing great.

The thing about the game being taken off Steam because of the developer threatening GabeN is dumb. But my opinion on it is weird: if they took it down because they took the threat seriously, then I think that's a dumb overreaction. But if they took it down because they were like "well screw you too we're not going to do business with you" then that's totally reasonable. I guess either way I look at it, the developer was being a dumbass when he tweeted that.

Totally disagree with Shipwreck about barbarian. Now, disclaimer, I haven't played Diablo 3 yet. But eons ago when I played Diablo 1 and 2, I picked sorcerer in D1 because I always gravitate towards spellcaster-types. Loved playing it. However, in D2 for whatever reason, I switched it up and went barbarian. And I loved that, too. It was great. I guess what I'm saying is that all the classes are pretty great in their own respects. When I eventually pick up Diablo 3 (on PC, just haven't done it yet because I want it cheap and Blizzard games take forever to go on sale) I have no idea what I'm going to go ewith.

Did you see the news for the $349 Xbox one bundles? Microsoft is gonna move some xbox ones this Christmas. Excited to see what Sony does to counter.

On Titanfall, they've been putting out updates with new game modes for a while. This one just caught on because it's different enough from the rest. I still believe that game delivered pretty much exactly what they said it would. CoD style multiplayer with new mechanics. It seems most people expected more, but how many people really keep playing a typical CoD game weeks after release? I don't believe any of the CAG crew do, so it's not unusual that you quit Titanfall as well.

I use Stitcher to listen to podcasts now and I noticed CAG hadn't had one in a awhile.  Just checked today and I see you put one out yesterday.  Can you guys do whatever Cheapy normally does to get it picked up by Stitcher?  Thanks!

I use Stitcher to listen to podcasts now and I noticed CAG hadn't had one in a awhile. Just checked today and I see you put one out yesterday. Can you guys do whatever Cheapy normally does to get it picked up by Stitcher? Thanks!
I can try and figure it out.

Please do us all a favor and wait unti Cheapy gets back.

I felt I was listening to the first episode of a new podcast.

Prone to exaggeration much? Yes, Sony is leading hardware sales but it's in the neighborhood of 40%.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/analysis-worldwide-ps4-sales-at-least-40-percent-better-than-xbox-one/
1.) That article presents a best case scenario for Xbox One compared to a worst case scenario for PS4 to establish a "minimum sales advantage", not a realistic estimate.

2.) The figures Ars Technica used are demonstrably false. Adding the known sales just from the US and Japan that occurred after the 10M milestone place PS4 sales above their estimated "sales floor".

3.) A rational estimate of worldwide sales put the Xbox One at a bit under 6M sold and the PS4 well over 12M by the end of September.

4.) Curufinwe was talking about US sales from the September NPD results. During that period the PS4 sold 538K units, nearly twice what the Xbox One did for just that month.

Geometry Wars 3 is going to be $14.99 and is out on 11/25, so it's definitely not a $60 game. Activision owns the Geometry Wars name, so they can do whatever they want with it.

It's pretty easy to read into the tone of what the crazy dev meant by reading the string of tweets, as it was clear that he was pissed off and let loose to blow off steam but realized that it was way overboard when the issue was fixed a few hours later automatically. He blew up because he couldn't wait a few hours and the threat and the tweets leading up to it where he talks shit about how terrible Steam was due to the error not being fixed instantly made it reasonable that Valve just delisted the game due to the disrespectful nature of the tweets instead of maybe holding off for a bit first.

I guess I don't understand what a "friendly" interface is, but that's maybe because I don't use the TV stuff. I still can't really get a good grasp of the OS because it feels like they hide everything in apps so that it's a chore to navigate and even having games on pins is a cluttered mess that needs folders to simplify that interface. It's a shame that most of the achievement images I've seen on Xbox One are bad and not background worthy, so I'm just using the dumb LocoCycle Promise achievement image that is just a picture of some of the Twisted Pixel devs.

Edit: Considering all three of you pre-ordered Destiny on PSN early on, I'm surprised you guys dismissed digital sales being a big reason that Xbox One sold better at retail.

Cheapy brings a certain humor and personality to the show that Shipwreck and Wombat are missing...not that they are boring and unfunny, but having Cheapy certainly makes a difference.

Having said that, I don't miss Cheapy constantly talking about the behind the scenes business side of gaming and gaming journalism. I know those topics directly relate to his job obviously, but It was nice hearing more about the systems and games his week.

However, Wombat was wayyyyyy too loud and I could barely hear Shipwreck. It was ear piercing at times.

Overall, I enjoyed the show just as much as any Cagcast in the last 2 years. Good job guys!

Cheapy brings a certain humor and personality to the show that Shipwreck and Wombat are missing...not that they are boring and unfunny, but having Cheapy certainly makes a difference.

Having said that, I don't miss Cheapy constantly talking about the behind the scenes business side of gaming and gaming journalism. I know those topics directly relate to his job obviously, but It was nice hearing more about the systems and games his week.

However, Wombat was wayyyyyy too loud and I could barely hear Shipwreck. It was ear piercing at times.

Overall, I enjoyed the show just as much as any Cagcast in the last 2 years. Good job guys!
Yeah, I was trying to go for the real world feel of what it's like to be in a room with the two of us. And I'll try to get the levels better next episode.

Great show guys. The tone of the show is a lot different dare i say a bit more mature. Not a lot of Shit talk or random burping on the mic.(thou i do love those parts its what makes cagcast cagcast) .  

I'd prefer the whole band getting back together, but the shows where someone's missing are always still quality podcast.

Wombat, I think a few people have mentioned it but you should really try out Fantasy Life. Like you, I commute via train (though my trip is only 30ish minutes) but it's been a great game to pick up on the way in and out of the city. Actually, I feel like most of the games I've been enjoying lately are because they are well suited for playing on the train...maybe time to roll out www.traingamereviews.com?

Yeah, I was trying to go for the real world feel of what it's like to be in a room with the two of us. And I'll try to get the levels better next episode.
I felt like I was in the room with you guys, and Wombat was right beside me screaming :p

Other than the volumes though, the sound quality was great. Very clear and edited well (from what I can tell).

Things will be fine with El Cheapy out...

Prone to exaggeration much? Yes, Sony is leading hardware sales but it's in the neighborhood of 40%.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/analysis-worldwide-ps4-sales-at-least-40-percent-better-than-xbox-one/
Kyle Orland's analysis is fatally flawed because he is using the best case estimate for the Xbone, and the worst case estimate for the PS4.

Sony announced on August 12 that it had sold 10 million PS4 units through to consumers worldwide. That announcement came 130 days after the company announced seven million sales, meaning Sony had sold an average of just over 23,000 PS4 units a day in the intervening period.

Even assuming PS4 sales absolutely cratered after that, selling half as quickly, Sony would still have sold about 560,000 additional PS4 units in the 49 days from August 12 to the end of September. Add that, and we get a floor of about 10.56 million PS4s sold through the end of September, compared to a ceiling of about 7.42 million Xbox One units sold by the same time.
Orland estimates Sony sold 560,000 PS4s worldwide between August 12th and September, 30th. But Sony sold almost 560,000 PS4s in the US just in September. His 10.56 million estimate for worldwide PS4 sales is clearly far too low.

He is also using shipped numbers for the Xbone, and making assumptions about the 360/XB1 shipment split and how many units retailers have sitting on shelves unsold, in order to get to the 7.42 million figure.

Haha I really enjoy it when he talks about that.

bread's done
Back