Beyond Good & Evil (PS2/GC/XBox)

SS4Brolly

CAGiversary!
OPEN FOR DISCUSSION

236424.gif

This seems to be the new Rygar of CAG. Im sure many of you found some sort of deal on this game. Was the price drop to clear out stock or the stench from a bad game?

I think a good question would be if it was worth 10 extra dollars to buy it on xbox as opposed to ps2. I wonder why so many people paid exta for the xbox version instead of just getting the ps2 ver?

Oh, sorry. I didn't understand your question. but I really want to know where you got that information.

I bought it for PS2 last week but didnt have time to play it . Just today i read an article that said its the best action adventure game since The Wind Waker.

I think the price drop had more to do with it not selling very well. I just finished it and it was a great game. One minute your fighting, the next your taking pictures, then your driving a hovercaft, soon the story takes off. Great puzzle solving IMO, and the personality/puzzles remind of games like Full Throttle. I liked the use of another character to help you solve puzzles and the story was seemlessly (ie no finish a level get a cgi cutscene ala final fantasy 7) tied into a relatively open ended game. I am very impressed, even though it is kinda short. Seems like the developers got kinda rushed as they started giving 5 pearls for certain things, but maybe short is good because it doesn't have a chance to get tedious or drawn out. Anyways sad to see that it didn't sell well, I probably wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't come down in price so much, even with the great reviews. The stuff I had seen on it just didn't interest me, but I am glad I bought it as it was a steal for $15.

So far I enjoy the game, but I'm having a few problems. I don't want to turn this to a game hints post, but how do you look at the code on a ticket after putting it away, and when I buy heart containers, how do I give them to a companion, instead of them being used automatically on Jade? Apart from these two problems, I find the game enjoyable with an intruiging plot, and fun missions and minigames.

You go to the ticket in your inventory and it should tell you what button to press for more info on it. Then you can rotate the ticket to get a better look. Not sure if you can give the heart containers to someone else and from my experience they don't really need them.

[quote name='st0neface']So far I enjoy the game, but I'm having a few problems. I don't want to turn this to a game hints post, but how do you look at the code on a ticket after putting it away, and when I buy heart containers, how do I give them to a companion, instead of them being used automatically on Jade? Apart from these two problems, I find the game enjoyable with an intruiging plot, and fun missions and minigames.[/quote]

[off-topic help]
Press 'start', point to your S-A-C and open it. That'll show everything you have collected. Then just select the ticket and use the right analog stick to flip it around. To give a 'heart container' to a companion open up the S-A-C the same way, and press X on it to pick it up, then move it to your secondary character. (They have to be close by, not like on an elevator on a different floor.)
[/off-topic help]

[on topic... ]
For gamers that like the puzzles of Ico, the stealth of Metal Gear, and the platform action of Jak, you need to pick up this game. It's got great variability to the gameplay, the characters are refreshingly original, and the storyline is pretty solid.

The only drawback that I can find is that I sometimes have minor trouble with the camera and there's some weird bugs like shadows displaying on the wrong walls. These are very rare, however I have seen it a coulple times. However, it's never bad enough to make it unplayable or frustrating.

My hat goes off to the developers. Job well done.

[quote name='squeakycleanskater4']I think for stock. I hear its a great game.[/quote]

You read too much into my (lame) joke :D

I just started this game yesterday, coming off the buzz of beating off Prince of Persia. From the very start of the game, this just sucked me in. The plot is very interesting, and engaging. The camera system is way cool, and more fun that it translates on paper. The interface for items and such is pretty slick, and there are nice touches like email in the same way of Xenosaga. The actual gameworld is one you'd think this shares with The Fifth Element, with humans and other species coexisting on planets, with lots of commerce and talking billboards.

I am not done with this of course, but I am so engaged in it, I suddenly find hours gone. This is especially interesting, as I'm a casual gamer.. I usually turn on the game for an hour or so, then turn it off and do something else.

I recommend this game. I got it for the 8.99 pricematch at Bestbuy, but if I had bought it at the 19.99, I'd still think this was very worth it.

[quote name='Vajra']The camera system is way cool, and more fun that it translates on paper.[/quote]

I'm curious, did you play Metroid Prime? I found the camera system in BG&E more or less similar to the scanning in Metroid Prime. I actually didn't mind the scanning in MP and found it to be a nice optional thing to do in the game. I think the camera system in BG&E is pretty similar, it adds to the game fairly nicely though. Any thoughts?

[quote name='DenisDFat']The Stench.
Beyond Good & Evil? Beyond bad.[/quote]

Do you do anything better to do other than bash games?

[quote name='DenisDFat']The Stench.

You are fairly new, so you may not know this, but on THIS board we don't generally give an opinion without backing it up. It is fine that you disagree with everyone else, but please elaborate. Why do you think it is a bad game? What did you not like about it?

Basically BG&E was an under appriciated game a gem that slipped through the cracks of holiday purchases. if it came out at a different time it would have had more visibility and we probably would be hearing a lot more about it.

The story is solid the, The cinematic presentation is top notch, gameplay is fun and I have to say its one of my favorite games so far. I did notice some similaritiy to Xenosaga in the storyline and I'm wondering just how close it'll end up being but the elemenst it seems to have in common arent bad ones. There might be a couple of minor issues but I havent really run headlong into anything glaring yet.

what little I played of this game I've done so on a five inch LCD screen, which it obviously wasn't play tested for.the environments are too large to be squeezed so small and it merges the colors together making navigation daunting.

I'll probably move my xbox back to my 27 inch TV next time I play it.

I'm going to reserve my final judgment about it until then.

Although, something that shocked me was at the voice acting was surprisingly good. Especially the pig, who I was quickly able to anthropomorph into someone quite like someone I might encounter on the street in everyday life.

I loved it, but the short ending left a sour taste in my mouth. Is there somekind of unwritten rule stating that you can't make a game with an ending that lasts longer than one minute? Oh well. It's still one of my favorite games of this generation.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='DenisDFat']The Stench.

You are fairly new, so you may not know this, but on THIS board we don't generally give an opinion without backing it up. It is fine that you disagree with everyone else, but please elaborate. Why do you think it is a bad game? What did you not like about it?[/quote]

What he didn't like about it was the fact he thought he came up with a creative way of bashing it. He was mistaken. Check this out...." 'Citizen Kane?' More like 'Citizen Pain'" AHAHAHHAHAH LOLOLOLO ROXXXXXOR. See, I was SOOOO funny there, but that didn't make Citizen Kane look like a bad movie, or make me look like a worthwhile human being.

I played the GC version for about seven hours last weekend and loved the game.

It felt like an RPG with all of the random encounters stripped away. Very nice.

It's also great that the game stars adults who talk like adults, unlike most RPGs which star teenagers. It's a welcome change and I hope a sign of things to come.

Yeah, I agree, there are some RPGish qualities, which is probably one reason why I like it. And yeah, random encounters in RPGs are annoying unless you're trying to level up. I always loved the Wild Arms 3 system for allowing me to mostly avoid that.

A few days later and I am still loving this game. Exploring is fun. And with the stealth and other gameplay styles, just when it feels a bit too much, it switches you to some other type, which is nice.

As to the Metroid Prime, I wasn't aware of that. I've always wanted to play Metroid Prime, but don't have a gamecube. I've made myself promise not to get one until I can secure a regular job. Then I'll get a cheap one and go for all the GC gems: metroid, zelda, eternal darkness, mario sunshine, the resident evils, etc etc

What's the storyline for this game? Try not to spoil anything, it's just that I haven't really heard of this (and am too lazy now to check out IGN, Gamespy, Gamefaqs, etc.).

[quote name='gamefreak']What's the storyline for this game? Try not to spoil anything, it's just that I haven't really heard of this (and am too lazy now to check out IGN, Gamespy, Gamefaqs, etc.).[/quote]

Aliens are fucking up this planet that the main character, Jade, lives on. This sort of space army is supposed to be protecting them but a lot of people suspect them of foul play. Jade tries to discover the truth. In a nutshell, thats the plot.

As for my opinion, BG&E was way too short, but for $20 it was a great game. They really put a lot of thought into the environments and animals that grace the planet of Hillys. And considering the end cinematic, I think they may be creating a sequel... at least I hope they do.

It is a good thing they dropped the price because I would never have paid $50 for it, being that it's so damn short. $20 was a decent price, and for an impulse buy on my part, was money well spent.

Highly recommend the game for Xbox, if you've got one. Surround sound and higher res graphics are needed to do justice to this game, at least if you care about your surroundings. If you don't have an Xbox, pick it up for Gamecube.

One of the things I noticed, that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet, is controlling the hovercraft. I love the way this thing drives! Way better than any car in GTA or Jak. Even though it's not a driving game, the vehicle controls better than I've experienced in any action game.

I normally don't care too much for stealth, but this game managed to make it fun. And the Indiana-Jones-esque scenes (running towards the camera away from danger) were so much fun, I wish there were a couple more of those. And who knew that whale-watching could be fun? I found myself just sitting there watching...

This has definitely become one of my favorite games.

Has anyone seen or can link to some of the concept art of Jade? I read (in my free PSM, I think) that the author though she looked better in the concept art. Now I'm just curious.

Great game, btw.

Jade used to look more Asian, and I think the green lipstick is new too. I'll look around and see if I can find some older pics of her.

EDIT: Here's one ... Guess I was wrong about the lipstick, but the outfit and headband are definitely new! She looked a little younger too. :)

pbgande_050203_6.jpg

And here's a before/after I found:
before.jpg
after.jpg

At the expense of sounding cheesy, BG&E is not so much a game as it is an experience. It's pretty easy and the combat is pretty simplistic (one button to attack and one button to dodge), but everything is put together so nicely that you overlook things like that. Hell, the developers might have actually done that on purpose.

SIDENOTE: BG&E's great for students short on time (you know, because it's short). I don't know about you, but I'm a second year med student and I barely have time to wipe my own ass.

The only thing I didn't like about it is the ending. There's no way the game is going to get a sequel, so the unanswered questions (and big unresolved plot point) will remain that way forever. It's too bad too, since I think Ubi had wanted to make this a franchise.

I was reading somewhere about how even though Ico and some other underrated, but poorly selling game, didn't do so well, their respective companies still went ahead with developing sequels. So you never know....

But I agree, the ending wasn't the greatest, but it was by no means bad.

And if you do want answers to those unanswered questions: BUY THE GAME!!! Tell Ubi that there's a fan base out there with $$$. I rented it, beat it in a few days, and am still goin to buy. I know I'll want to play it again sometime in the future. Hell, why do you think so many people are obsessed with the Zelda Collection disc?

rented it, played it for 3 hours, took it back, went out and searched till I could buy it. I couldn't stop playing until I beat it.....

I got it cheap through CAG and loved playing it every second. I actually would've paid full price for this game. It's creative, has an interesting story, great gameplay mechanics, and DenisDFat hates it, so of course it must be a good, fun game.

HA HA HA! Rise from the dead,topic! At anyrate, I'm ashamed to say that I saw this game rotting on the shelves at where I used to work (gamestop) going from 50-20 in a short time. I picked it up shortly before I quit (for the GC)and I must say that it's one of the best games on the next-gen systems. The music(that damned catchy bar song) , voice acting, and graphics are all superb and the controls have never let me down. The final boss fight was also insanely awesome. This game=MUCH BETTER than the book 8) and hopefully, Twilight of the Idols will be as great, if not better, than Beyond good and evil..............and I'm SURE it'll be better than the book too.

Jade did look cooler in those old pics. While I disagree with DenisDFat about the game he's got a point about her. Anyone who says she's a great character has had their mind rotted by too many bad videogames. She's merely slightly above average for a videogame character which is still shit. Like her doing yoga in the beggining just to show that she's sooooo new agey, or her acting all surprised that the alpha squadran isn't good. In a way I think it would've worked better without voice-acting because even though she's well cast there's really no way to pull off saying some of those cheesy lines without sounding rediculous. , where as just reading the text I'd find it easier to buy. But I guess having no voice acting wouldn't really have fit the cinematic production of the game.

But despite my tirade against jade-worshipers BG&E is probably may favorite game for the cube, which is really saying a lot. I hope it does get a sequel, and wouldn't give up hope on that just yet as POP is getting one and also didn't sell too well.

It's one of those games that makes your remember why you bother to play games to being with. BG&E didn't sell well because it came out in the holiday rush, and no one really took notice (same thing with price of persia). The game is fantastic, It looks good, it plays good and its fun. The story also keeps you playing, its well told and so well presented that you forget your playing a game at times, and instead if feels like your watching a movie. The voice acting is well done, overall its one of best made games this generation in my opinion. It's one of those well made games that didn't sell well because it got over shadowed by other games. The only down side to the game, its too short, other than that any Action Adventure fan should love this game.

bread's done
Back