Atlus, Nippon Ichi or Working Designs Games for PS3?

PittsburghAfterDark

CAGiversary!
About the only reason I own a Sony console is for the Japanese stuff. Atlus, Nippon Ichi, Working Designs, Koei, AgeTec and games like Katamari Damacy from the big guys.

I've been looking at PS3 info and they talk about the usual stuff but nothing about the niche (By U.S. standards.) gaming. Though why should they?

Anyways is anyone familiar with the import scene and heard or seen any rumors or third party support from these companies (Yes, I know Working Designs is just a publisher not a developer.)??? I know all about support from Konami, EA, Capcom, Namco, Activision etc. but not the secondary publishers.

Is this generation going to be the end of titles from companies like this? Or are they going to keep developing on the PS2 standard since everything will be backwards compatible.

This is exactly what i was asking myself. All the games I play, save one (winning eleven series), are all japanese RPGs especially the niche titles. I have been wondering if more niche games will be come over to the PS3. I have not heard anything from NIS, Atlus and co about games for the ps3. Hopefully it also will not be the end 2d games.

As long as there is a market demand I think these types of games will be around for awhile. As technically advanced as games are getting, 2D RPG's have charm and personality that 3D seldom captures IMO. In fact, I think the fact that 2D development costs are usually lower will help keep them alive to some degree.

same here, ps2 is great and all but is the rpgs that really matters, ps3 will definitely capture the rpg crown again, i pretty much gave up on nintendo, N64 and cube had like 5 rpgs. Xbox is looking good, but then most of them are pc rpgs.

Its going to cost more to get higher res hand drawn sprites. What a waste, a 300 mb game (or something incredibly small) on a blu-ray disc.

[quote name='spoo']I lost all faith in WD. It is sad but sometimes it is time to move on.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Working Designs will still be around in the next generation.

Their output has becoming increasingly small, and the games they do put out obviously haven't sold to their expectation - the $10 dollar price drop on Growlanser is an indication of this... for a game that had a "limited run", price drops aren't generally a good sign.

I just think the constant delay's, the hacking of the script they do to add all their current event jokes (I remember a Clinton joke in one game), and the fact that companies either self publish games or go with a more credible and reliable publisher all points to WD's demise.

Can't say I'll miss them much... how many games did they put out in the ps2 era? Three total, and Slipheed and Gungriffon Blaze were subpar, and they don't have anything lined up it seems for the future.

Compare this to their Playstation era, where they did both Lunar's, Arc The Lad, Vanguard Bandits, Alundra, and a few shmups, and each game was generally well received.

Atlus and Nippon Ichi will always be around - no worries there.

well, Koei is on baord for the PS3... puts a little hope up for another Gitaroo Man... (doubt it)

I think Nintendo is really going to adopt all the niche players (like myself) from Sony if Sony becomes an "exclusivly AAA titles only" system. Nintendo is really going to benefit in this due to its low cost for game development on the Revolution and its ever growing (regrowing most likely, once the Rev comes out) fanbase and dedicated buyers/fanboys.

I pretty much give up on Working Designs after Growlancer. I was really disappointed that it came on 2 blue disc instead of 1 dvd. Now it doesn't even work in my ps2 anymore.

[quote name='cletus']I pretty much give up on Working Designs after Growlancer. I was really disappointed that it came on 2 blue disc instead of 1 dvd. Now it doesn't even work in my ps2 anymore.[/QUOTE]

You should give up on Sony then ;) It is not WD fault that blue discs stop working in older PS2.

The niche RPGs, etc, don't come for a few years into the console's lifespan, historically. No way of knowing at this point. I mean, it was over a year before I bought a PS2 game besides Tekken Tag Tournament.

It would kinda make sense for oldschool RPG developers to switch to making games for the Revolution, with the old-school game downloading and all. But they will likely pull an Enix and go with the cosole with the biggest userbase.

bread's done
Back