What is the best gaming PC out there?

treybegood

CAGiversary!
Hi everybody, I was considering buying a new gaming PC, and I was wondering what you all consider to be the best and most kickass brand and/or model of gaming PC out on the market. Although building the PC myself has been recommended to me, I definitely don't plan on building the PC myself (I am way too incompetent to do that), and therefore, I plan on buying it from a company. For my inquiry, let's assume that price is of no significance (although it obviously will be once I actually make my choice). Any recommendations on components I should look for, or any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, and take care.

[quote name='treybegood']Hi everybody, I was considering buying a new gaming PC, and I was wondering what you all consider to be the best and most kickass brand and/or model of gaming PC out on the market. Although building the PC myself has been recommended to me, I definitely don't plan on building the PC myself (I am way too incompetent to do that), and therefore, I plan on buying it from a company. For my inquiry, let's assume that price is of no significance (although it obviously will be once I actually make my choice). Any recommendations on components I should look for, or any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, and take care.[/quote]

Price is no significance, then Alienware. Very expensive, but widely regarded as the best, and they specialize in gaming pc's.

If you can afford Voodoo, then Voodoo. Considering this is CAG.com though, I'll bet you don't have $3000 to drop on a pc. I bought a complete system from ibuypower.com for about $1300, and the same configuration from Alienware or Voodoo would've costed me about $2400. The lesser-known boutique builders like IBP and Vicious are prolly your best bet.

So if you don't want to build your own pc have someone build it for you. There is no point in throwing away hundreds of dollars on a name brand.

Thanks for all your feedback so far! What would you say is the big difference between Voodoo and Alienware computers besides price? In other words, why one over another? Are there any specific components I should seek out in the computer I buy? And last, somebody mentioned that a new Alienware computer computer is coming out fairly soon. What's the deal with this computer and when will it be coming out? Any advice on any of these questions would be helpful. Thanks again for all your feedback.

ID say build your own. You get moe options, and save a whole lot of money. I built my gamming rig, and everything in it is top of the line.

the best computer is.... the one you make yourself... it will save you tons of money, and u can put w/e u want in it. the only way to go.

edit: basketcase.. just saw ur post... i made mine too and it is all top of the line... my specs are amd athalon 64fx, radeon 9800xt, xp pro, dual 120 gb hd's, dvd plextor cd-rw 8x burner, 1024 of ram, and other stuff. oh and i have a 22" gateway monitor. what are your specs

[quote name='treybegood']Thanks for all your feedback so far! What would you say is the big difference between Voodoo and Alienware computers besides price? In other words, why one over another? Are there any specific components I should seek out in the computer I buy? And last, somebody mentioned that a new Alienware computer computer is coming out fairly soon. What's the deal with this computer and when will it be coming out? Any advice on any of these questions would be helpful. Thanks again for all your feedback.[/quote]

I believe the article said Q3 or Q4.

*cough* amd *cough*

edit: hey look 99th post! 100th post celebration thread comming up.... mods are gonna kill me!

if you want a good cheap pc, go with ABS PC. a $3000 alienware is only 2300. very good quality and some very nice options too. one of 4 companies to get the current highest score of 95% in pc gamer (the others were voodoo, alienware and falcon). i have one, and it just rules.

im not sure about a new model of PC, but i think they probably mean that the new generation of graphics cards will be coming out very soon, if not already. namely the ATI X800 and the Nvida 6800 models. these are the top of the line cards right now. I'm not quite sure what your budget is, but if you want a top notch gaming PC, you are going to need either one of these cards, at least 1 gig of RAM and the fastest processor you can afford (AMD Athlon 64 recomended). if you want to save a little money, the Radeon 9800XT and Nvidia 5950 Ultra graphics cards are due for a price drop as soon as the new ones come out.

some people also go for dual RAID hard drives, but thats a little extreme for my taste.

hope this helps.

You have to set a budget first. The new video array and X2 will cost a hefty amount of money. Much more than what their systems are going for right now. If you do not plan to spend a ridiculous amount of money, forget about the new Alienware.

^^

Yup, the new alienware line is thebest.

But it will cost a fortune (probably 4000+)

with watercooling, 2 x800's (the only company and motherboard that will support 2 video cards), a pentium 4 EE, and all the fixins it will be a premium.

[quote name='Moxio']If you know how, build it yourself.

With the extra money, get yourself a nice case and groovy-colored lighting.[/quote]you will have alot more left than that

Well, as the guy stated, he lacks the knowledge of building his own computer. I built my own computer also and I love it. But sometimes things go wrong, whether it be self-built or vendor bought. I am my own 24 hour tech support. So unless you can find someone you trust (or live with) to be your tech support, buying from a vendor isn't that bad. (But then again I've heard bad stories about customer service from various vendors.)

Like someone said before, it's best to set your budget before hand. I also suggest that you pick up (or read) a few magazines about the information. Do a little research. I really suggest that you take a look at Maximum PC magazine. One of the best, if not the best, PC magazine I've come across. The newest one has a whole comparison of different products (speed wise).

I would go with Alienware (www.alienware.com). Voodoo (www.voodoopc.com) is nice, but out of my price range. Falcon NW (www.falcon-nw.com) and other vendors mentioned here are good.

Maximum PC reviewed the Velocity Micro ProMagix(www.velocitymicro.com) and it got a 9 out of 10. It's apparently a killer. Maybe worth to take a look at. (If you have $4,260 to spend - yikes)

Dependant of your budget, I would try to get either an ATI X800 series or the nVidia 6800 series video card in the computer. 1 to 2 GB of RAM. At least or over a 3GHz processor.

Is there a big performance difference between build-it yourself and the custom makers like falcon, alienware. etc.? I've always built my own, and it they just don't seem to be quite right. I feel like I'm missing out on performance by building my own. I get the job done, but I don't always do it in the best way, so I feel like the performance suffers. Is there really anything behind this? Or is it just me thinking the grass is greener on the custom built PC side?

[quote name='CaptainObviousXl'][quote name='Moxio']If you know how, build it yourself.

With the extra money, get yourself a nice case and groovy-colored lighting.[/quote]you will have alot more left than that[/quote]

Not if you purchase a case made out of gold and studded with gems.

*cheesy grin*

[quote name='jimbodan']Is there a big performance difference between build-it yourself and the custom makers like falcon, alienware. etc.? I've always built my own, and it they just don't seem to be quite right. I feel like I'm missing out on performance by building my own. I get the job done, but I don't always do it in the best way, so I feel like the performance suffers. Is there really anything behind this? Or is it just me thinking the grass is greener on the custom built PC side?[/quote]

Other than the video array that is coming out, there is nothing out there that Alienware/Voodoo/Falcon has that you can't buy and build yourself. You can even get better parts than what they offer, most if not all of the time at better prices. What you pay for is the labor, customer service, and the name.

The grass is the same color on the other side. :wink: :D

Unfortunately, I have no clue what I'm doing, and therefore fear building my own PC. I once tried building a bird feeder in shop class, and, well...pretty much almost ended burning down my school. Fire, yeah, fire!!!!!! But, all this advice is great. I will definitely check out some PC magazines and all the websites for the various brands of computers that have been mentioned. I will definitely make an educated purchase and not rush into things. Any other feedback is always welcome. Thanks guys, you're the best...sniff, sniff. \:D/ Oh, buy the way, how the heck do I integrate a personal emoticon (eg. a picture of Ron Jeremy, or Link) next to my messages like you guys do? I'm so jealous of you all.

I would build it yourself, however even if you don't it is best to do some research before you buy, as some here have already said. It doesn't really matter the brand, as besides the new alienware dual gpu thing none of the companies use unique parts that you couln't buy yourself. They will all use an intel or AMD processor, some ddr ram, and an nvidia or ati video card. However the trick is in the details, and thats why you need to do some research if you are planning on buying a great gaming pc. This way you know you are getting quality parts in your computer. Here are some pointers:

CPU's have so many models its hard to keep them straight, you can't just go by the mhz or ghz either.

Intel has many different chips rated at the same ghz speed. You can get a P4 celeron, P4EE, or a regular P4 with either a northwood or prescott core. For gaming a celeron is out of the question. The P4EE is the chip to get if price is no object. A regular P4 is what you most likely will want (if you go intel), but if they actually list the cores of the CPU (not sure if they do this) its better to get a northwood core over a prescott, even thought the northwood core is older. It runs faster and cooler than the prescott. Its rumored intel is giving up on their future prescott->tejas cores because of heat problems.

Amd has many different chips too, athlon xp, athlon 64, athlon 64 fx. Athlon xp is their new budget chip as it was replaced recently by the 64 chips. The athlon 64 fx chip is like the p4ee, its the amd chip to get if price is no object. You will probably want an athlon 64 if you go with amd, and even though some athlon 64's run at the same "ratings" as the older althon xp's they typically run faster and with the extra 64 bit extensions.

They will all use ddr memory, but you want to make sure they are atleast using pc3200 (ddr 400mhz) preferably with a dual channel motherboard. probably 1gb for a great pc, 512 mb for a good setup.

Video cards are probably the most important part but there are so many model numbers it can be confusing. Nvidia's new cpu the 6800 is their fastest or you can go with their former top of the line the 5950 or 5900, but a 5700 is a bare minimum for a good gaming pc. For Ati they have the new X800 for their top of the line, and the 9800xt as their former, with the 9600xt being the min for a good gaming pc. Try reading some benchmarks at anandtech.com to see what video card you want for what price.

I've probably confused you more but I would research and try and pick my parts with whatever brand I ended up getting. Otherwise you will think you are getting a great gaming pc cheap only to find out the 3.0 ghz chip they gave you is a celeron, and the video card they listed as "500mhz" is a budget card (ie. Nvidia fx5200 or radeon 9200) with about 1/4 the performance of the good cards.

Maybe I will try to build it myself, but before I do so, I will do a lot of research on how to do it. Any other advice on building the best gaming PC possible. How should I get started and what are the best places to buy components from? :?:

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']if you want a good cheap pc, go with ABS PC. a $3000 alienware is only 2300. very good quality and some very nice options too. one of 4 companies to get the current highest score of 95% in pc gamer (the others were voodoo, alienware and falcon). i have one, and it just rules.[/quote]

i agree wtih sneakyp on this one. pick up that mag and check out everything they write on these 4 computers setups (the pros and cons, specs, etc). :) good luck!

For the best gaming PC, it is best to built on yourself. You could put the best stuff into the system. Pre-made gaming PC might still have 1 or 2 stuff I don't want in it.

If you can find a Mom & Pop place you kind of trust, just tell them that you want to build a quality computer and they are usually very helpful. They seem to get a bad reputation because they do sell some pretty bargain basement PC's, but that's just because they want to post the lowest price possible. I live around Athens, GA and found a place to build a barebone PC and I transferred in my old cd/dvd drives, hard drive, and video card. They were slightly more than prices I found on pricewatch but I had someone to help me.

bread's done
Back