--Official Must Buy Genesis Games Of All Time--updated 9.5.05--

rywateska

CAGiversary!
Feedback
100 (100%)
Tell what you think were the best Genesis games of all time...

LIST OF SAID BEST GAMES
Aladdin
Altered Beast
Areo The Acro-Bat
Batman
Battletoads/Double Dragon
Beavis & Butthead
Beyond Oasis
Blaster Master 2
Boogerman
Buster Douglass Boxing
Calibur 50
Captain America and the Avengers
Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse
Castlevania Bloodlines
Chakan: The Forever Man
Championship Pro-Am Racing
Columns
Comix Zone
Cool Spot
Contra Hard Corps
DeCap Attack
Dick Tracy
Dynamite Headdy
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Ecco The Dolphin
E-Swat: City Under Seige
Eternal Champions
Evander Holyfield Boxing
Fatal Fury 2
Fireshark
Flashback
Forgotten Heros
Gaiares
Gauntlet 4
General Chaos
Genesis 6 Pak
Ghostbusters
Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Golden Axe 3
Greatest Heavyweights
Greendog The Beached Surfer Dude
Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei
Home Alone
James Pond
Joe & Mac
The Jungle Book
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker
Last Battke
Lightning Force: Quest for the Deathstar
The Lion King
Madden Championship
Maxium Carnage
Mega Turrican
Mercs
Micky Mania
Mortal Kombat 1
Mortal Kombat 2
Mutant Leauge Football
NBA Jam
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
NBA Live 96
NHL 93
NHL 94
NHL 95
NHL 96
Out Of This World
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV
Quackshot
Ranger X
Revenge of Shinobi
Ristar
Road Rash
Road Rash 3
RoboCop versus The Terminator
Rocket Knight Adventures
Rock N Roll Racing
Samurai Shodown
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shadowrun
Shaq-Fu
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sparkster
Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition
Sunset Riders
Super Monaco GP
Super Street Fighter II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Strider
Desert Strike
Jungle Strike
Urban Strike
Super Baseball 2020
Super Hang-On
Super Smash TV
Super Thunder Blade
Target Earth
Taz Escape From Mars
Temco Super Bowl III
Theme Park
TMNT: In the Hyperstone Heist
TMNT Tournament Fighters
Toe Jam & Earl
Toe Jam & Earl 2
Tony LaRussa Baseball
Thunderforce II
Thunderforce III
Thunderforce IV
Valis III
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Racing
Warsong
World of Illusion: Starring Micky Mouse & Donald Duck
X-Men
X-Men 2
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

*update VII* This was last updated in LATE JANUARY. I've added more games that were mentioned. It has been a long time since this list has been seen, but it should be a resource to a few people, so check it out!

*update VI* I've let this sit for five months and finally an update has come along...talk about what was good, what was missed, and what shouldn't be on here.
*update V* I left this sit for over 2 months & now we're up to 119 games! Thanks for posting the games but if you disagree and prove your point as to why it shouldn't be on there & I'll take it off. That way if a game really dosen't deserve to be on the list it can be kicked off. That will take care of all those games that people disagree with and it may spark up this board a little more.
*update IV* There's 78 games there for you all to pick up. I've listed it all in alphabetical order so it's easier to scroll through as well. Make note of the added games as well, can't forget those. Run through and see if there is anything missing, and if there is, post it up so it can be put on the list as well.
*update III* Added additional games to the list, added a sidenote at the bottom of this post, take note.
*update II* Link to another Must-Buy Genesis thread. Has some games that have not been mentioned on this one yet. Link: http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14294
*update* Instead of focusing this on what I should get, I'll shift this into the --Official Must Buy Genesis Games If You See Them-- thread, how's that sound?

What are the most fun games available for the regular Genesis system? Whatever else you remember being incredibly addicting and fun post up!
...I'll keep on updated this so long as the posts keep coming in

Streets of Rage
Altered Beast

edit: Now that I think about it altered beast wasn't that good. That was probably nostalgia talking. Streets of Rage was fun though!

Streets of Rage 2 deserves its own mention. The sequel was much better than the first and ranks up there as one of the last and greatest 4 player beat-em-ups.

nice eliza pic mr happy im goin 2 c her on sat :)
hopefully slip her my #

and cry like a lil bitch when she never calls

I just bought altered beast a few days back, it is pretty crappy. I am looking for genesis rpg's, could someone say those that they know about that are good?
Oh, I love Desert Strike, Urban Strike, and Jungle strike, they kick ass.

Gunstar Heroes has been mentioned, that's a must-own and pretty rare to boot. Also, Mutant League Football, General Chaos, Greatest Heavyweights, X-Men 2.

aladdin
cool spot
x-men
greendog the beached surfer dude
kid chameleon (got for $5 at goodwill the other day)

How about Phantasy Star II, III, and IV...those are pretty sweet...or so I've heard...I have yet to find the time to play them!

jeug

**updated**
As I said in the earlier post, I'm shifting this away from focusing on what I should buy, to what EVERYONE should buy. There was no Genesis thread on any of the forums so here it is! I'll update it as more people voice thier favorites, so keep on posting them up. Now that Genesis games are rather cheap, stocking up on a few can't be that hard of a job for us cheapass gamers.

Genesis 6-pak.

Sonic The Hedgehog, Revenge Of Shinobi, Super Hang-On, Columns, Golden Axe, and Streets Of Rage, all in one cart.

And it costs less at most places than it would to buy all those games separately.

[quote name='rywateska']
There was no Genesis thread on any of the forums so here it is! [/quote]

Here's one I started a few weeks ago:

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14294

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic and Knuckles (not really an amazing game, but the lock-on technology is neat)
Ristar
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Theme Park (this game works out much better on the Genesis than it has any right to, and it's spiffy on the Nomad)
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Columns
Vectorman
Revenge of Shinobi
Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition
Super Street Fighter II
Fatal Fury 2
Samurai Shodown

Those are the only ones I can think of now, but I'll probably add some as time goes on.

Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star IV

mentioned, yes, but mmmm... the tasty goodness of those games. If anything filled you with the thrill that comes with the glory of single player turn-based awesomeness, it might well have had its roots in these games.

A dash of Xenogears, a touch of Phantasy Star IV, a sprinkle of Dragon Warrior VII.. turn-based yummilicious glory!

Was boogerman really that good? I saw it at my local eb games and pondered picking it up...

Damn... anyoneever hear of a little known fight called Eternal Champions? Great fighter in general, it even had fatalities.

And another great Genesis game is Target Earth (or Assault Suit Leynos). Awesome mecha game with lots of weapons if I remember correctly, hard as hell.

[quote name='MrBadExample']DeCap Attack
Madden Championship
NHL 93[/quote]

Oh geez. how could I forget the NHL series? 94 was the pinnacle as far as I'm concerned, but 95 and 96 were both faster. But still... I would rather play 94 than any other current generation hockey game.

I think they used NHL 93 in Swingers, too. It was a version that still had the blood.

What about NBA live 96' folks?
Possibly the best basketball game ever. Tracked your stats against your boys and you could create yourself. A classic to say the least.

[quote name='antichameleon']Ranger-X...little known, but awesome game[/quote]

oh man that game is so frickin sweet.
that and gunstar heroes and flashback (yea i know they were already mentioned but they deserve it again)

can we stop talking about this now? im having heavy guilt about my young self selling all my sega stuff for like 30 bucks... :cry:

*update IV* There's 78 games there for you all to pick up. I've listed it all in alphabetical order so it's easier to scroll through as well. Make note of the added games as well, can't forget those. Run through and see if there is anything missing, and if there is, post it up so it can be put on the list as well.

Here's some that deserve to be on the list:

Aero The Acro-Bat
Championship Pro-Am Racing
Ecco The Dolphin
Mickey Mania
NBA Jam
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Quackshot
Rock N Roll Racing
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sparkster (the sequel to Rocket Knight Adventures)
Super Baseball 2020
Super Smash TV
Thunderforce III
Thunderforce IV
Virtua Racing

That should put the list at 93.

Sega Genesis games that should be on the list...

Batman
Blaster Master 2
Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse
Chakan: The Forever Man
Dick Tracy
Dynamite Headdy
Gaiares
Gauntlet 4
Last Battle
Lightening Force: Quest for the DeathStar
Mega Turrican
RoboCop versus The Terminator
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Strider
Super Thunder Blade
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: In the HyperStone Heist
The Jungle Book
The Lion King
Thunder Force II
Valis III
World of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck

Jus curious... is shaq-fu actualy good? Or is it a joke that it's on the list.
I wouldn't want to waste three hundred fifty pennies on a crappy game!

bread's done
Back