Kutaragi: The PS3 will be [damn] expensive

10 year life cycle...thats interesting...while I am all for, not having to buy a new console, right when developers seem to be hitting their stride..but 10 years

It sucks if really true. I cant imagine them going over $350, but then again, people will still buy it no matter what they launch at. I may be waiting longer than i thought for this gen...

[quote name='ryanbph']10 year life cycle...thats interesting...while I am all for, not having to buy a new console, right when developers seem to be hitting their stride..but 10 years[/QUOTE]
By 10 years they mean how the current PS1s are still around. The console will probably have a regular 5 year mainstay, then be put on the back-burner for 5 years. No way will the PS3 be considered high tech in 5 years, let alone 10.

Anyway this announcement put the final nail in the coffin. I won't be picking up a PS3 until a price drop happens. I wanted one at launch but that doesn't seem possible. I'll just stick with the 360 till the PS3 hits the 300 to 350 range.

Well, the multi core cell ship will improve over the years as developers get better at programming for it.

A ten year lifecycle is not that unrealistic.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Well, the multi core cell ship will improve over the years as developers get better at programming for it.

A ten year lifecycle is not that unrealistic.[/QUOTE]

I know you are a Sony fanboy, but how can you actually say that? You can't actually believe that.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Well, the multi core cell ship will improve over the years as developers get better at programming for it.

A ten year lifecycle is not that unrealistic.[/QUOTE]
You must be crazy. In 5 years you'll see PCs that will make the PS3 look like a dinky PS1 (by today's standards). Hell once intel and apple finally pull out the new G6 (or whatever the processor will be called), you'll have a machine on par if not better than any PS3 and thats only a year or so away. Multi-core CPUs (kind of how the XBOX 360 is and the top of the line G5 towers are) will be extremely mainstream with in the next 2 to 3 years (Among high end PCs and Macs). Hell current G5 towers are the 360s Alpha kits (with some changes). If a computer currently out can pump out 30% of a next gen console's power imagine what they'll be able to do next year and the year after that. PC usually catch up to consoles within 6 months to a year after the console's release (Apples tend to be slightly ahead technology wise, but lately they've been lagging due to the G5's dissapointing performance). Not only that but all the next Gen consoles' CPUs are based off an already outdated chip (the power pc G5 processor). I will admit the Power PC processors in these next gen consoles have been revamped into beast (but then again thats by today's standard) Better things are on their way soon. Don't be a fool to sony's or microsoft's hype.

As a CAG how can we put our faith in Sony anymore? We can't after the PSP and now the PS3. I put my faith in Sony with the PSX because N64 was expensive carts and Sega was being dumb. Now I must find another fix for my cheap ass games. Blu-Ray’s are going to be about $10 more then DVD and the system is going to be mega-bucks. Sorry Sony but my hard earned cash is going elsewhere.

[quote name='praystation']JUst done with school and got a job , And I will be making $72 an hour. Expensive? Let's bring ot on.[/QUOTE]

I think you forgot to move the decimal place over twice.;)

[quote name='praystation']JUst done with school and got a job , And I will be making $72 an hour. Expensive? Let's bring ot on.[/QUOTE]

I think you forgot to move the decimal place over once more.;)

Judging from his spelling and grammar I would have to agree...

Edit: Made a mistake of my own...

[quote name='Icen']Judging by his spelling and grammar I would have to agree...[/QUOTE]

I was just going off his user name. Normally you don't have to pray to the mightly sony gods with that kind of cash in your pocket.

[quote name='spoo']As a CAG how can we put our faith in Sony anymore? We can't after the PSP and now the PS3. I put my faith in Sony with the PSX because N64 was expensive carts and Sega was being dumb. Now I must find another fix for my cheap ass games. Blu-Ray’s are going to be about $10 more then DVD and the system is going to be mega-bucks. Sorry Sony but my hard earned cash is going elsewhere.[/QUOTE]Then you'll be missing all the good games, because Sony usually has over 50% of them. I still find both Xbox and GC disappointing. PS2 was fantastic.
[quote name='Tromack']I know you are a Sony fanboy, but how can you actually say that? You can't actually believe that.[/QUOTE]It will happen.

[quote name='Sk']You must be crazy. In 5 years you'll see PCs that will make the PS3 look like a dinky PS1 (by today's standards). Hell once intel and apple finally pull out the new G6 (or whatever the processor will be called), you'll have a machine on par if not better than any PS3 and thats only a year or so away. Multi-core CPUs (kind of how the XBOX 360 is and the top of the line G5 towers are) will be extremely mainstream with in the next 2 to 3 years (Among high end PCs and Macs). Hell current G5 towers are the 360s Alpha kits (with some changes). If a computer currently out can pump out 30% of a next gen console's power imagine what they'll be able to do next year and the year after that. PC usually catch up to consoles within 6 months to a year after the console's release (Apples tend to be slightly ahead technology wise, but lately they've been lagging due to the G5's dissapointing performance). Not only that but all the next Gen consoles' CPUs are based off an already outdated chip (the power pc G5 processor). I will admit the Power PC processors in these next gen consoles have been revamped into beast (but then again thats by today's standard) Better things are on their way soon. Don't be a fool to sony's or microsoft's hype.[/QUOTE]
My 2 year old PC, running Half-Life 2, already puts the Killzone 2 demo to shame.

If you think consoles are ever going to compete with PCs in terms of graphics you must be a looney.

The cell chip is a complex multi core processsor. The first generation of games will use it like a regular single core chip, and each successive generation will better utilize the hardware capabilities.

It is a totally different type of technology than the last generation.

Did anyone really think this system would come cheap? The specs kind of geared me up a bit for a steep price. I'll probably just hold off and finish my backlog of games before buying one.

I am thinking of waiting for the first price drop, but I am remembering how first generation DVD players were $400, and the PS3 plays Blu-Ray movies AND next generation games, and it is probably going to be $400.

I guess it all depends on how much cash I have then, and if I have a job (I'll be in college, I might not even have time to play it when it's released so that is a whole different factor).

[quote name='Quackzilla']My 2 year old PC, running Half-Life 2, already puts the Killzone 2 demo to shame.

If you think consoles are ever going to compete with PCs in terms of graphics you must be a looney.

The cell chip is a complex multi core processsor. The first generation of games will use it like a regular single core chip, and each successive generation will better utilize the hardware capabilities.

It is a totally different type of technology than the last generation.[/QUOTE]
You must be on crack son. Killzone 2 looks like 10 times better than half-life 2. Hell unless your 2 year old pc is some kind of super computer (or you modded it to be on par with more recent PCs) there's no way way you'll have graphics on par (with killzone 2 or making the most of half-life 2). Your full of bull bro. Sorry you have no clue what your talking about. Hell the new graphics cards in these next gen consoles aren't even available on the market yet (only one card that based on the next gen console's GPU is out and that card still isn't as powerful as them). You really need to stop telling such tall tails, its getting pretty annoying.

Did you even lookat the Killzone 2 trailer? Sure, the game looks neat but the graphics aen't that good. Maybe best console graphics ever, but HL2 on my computer (P4 2.66GHz, 9700PRO 128MB, 1024MB DDR) looks a lot better.

It has higher polygon models, more detailed world textures, and smoother animations.

I've seen far too many anecdotes about people being burned by Sony's launch hardware, from DRE to dead pixels, back to the days of turning the console upside down to get it to play.

Will I buy a PS3? Damn skippy. Will I wait for a price drop? Damn skippy.

Will I wait for them to fix the inevitable hardware problems? Of course not, since they've never given any indication that they recognize them, after three systems (well, in the case of the PSP, they recognize the problem as "completely normal").

I'm going to wait until the christmas *after* launch, although I might pick up titles that I find to be "must haves" prior to that.

The one thing I'll give Sony credit for is making certain (with the PSP, anyway) that they were satisfying customers, and not the reseller asshole aftermarket. $800 PSPs were only around after the Japanese launch, and died the moment they hit the United States. I hope, if this is already expensive, that they will do the same thing with the PS3; otherwise, can you see $1200 PS3s on eBay? Certainly.

Almost all of the problems with the PS2 were caused by inproper lubrication of the laser arm. The newer versions have a double reinforced laser arm that will work even if it's unlubricated.

They will fix it for free, and I doubt they will make the same mistake twice.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Almost all of the problems with the PS2 were caused by inproper lubrication of the laser arm. The newer versions have a double reinforced laser arm that will work even if it's unlubricated.

They will fix it for free, and I doubt they will make the same mistake twice.[/QUOTE]

Knowing Sony there will be some new mistakes to deal with ... :)

I will probably end up buying all three consoles eventhough I really don't care for my Cube, but I will not be buying them anytime soon.

Agreed. I'm sure they'll come up with all new mistakes due to all new technology.

C'mon, quack. The sky is blue; the president is a buffoon; mail doesn't come on Sundays; Sony's systems fall the fuck apart. There's no need to deny reality here. Will it be a great system? Surely. Will it have immense problems? Sho' nuff.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Did you even lookat the Killzone 2 trailer? Sure, the game looks neat but the graphics aen't that good. Maybe best console graphics ever, but HL2 on my computer (P4 2.66GHz, 9700PRO 128MB, 1024MB DDR) looks a lot better.

It has higher polygon models, more detailed world textures, and smoother animations.[/QUOTE]
Yes I have. I've seen it on a high end PC. I'm not saying HL2 isn't impressive but Killzone 2 looked even more impressive. Face it HL2 was developed with older Technology, while Killzone 2 is going to be made on more recent tech. I'm still contempt with my statement that Killzone 2 looks more impressive than HL2. Your saying a game running on a lower spec machine then the PS3 is more impressive then a game thats suppose to represent what a more modern machine can do. Your just being foolish (after all I don't think Killzone 2 was running in real time, but it was showing off what the PS3 can do when its out).

The Ps1 lived probably eight years... 1995 - 2003, right? Ps1 still had decent titles coming out well into Ps2's life.

A 10 year life span isn't unrealistic for the Ps3, but that is as long as they don't go ahead and release a Ps4 - that's what will kill the Ps3, not it's own technology.

At least that's what I think...

[quote name='Quackzilla']Did you even lookat the Killzone 2 trailer? Sure, the game looks neat but the graphics aen't that good. Maybe best console graphics ever, but HL2 on my computer (P4 2.66GHz, 9700PRO 128MB, 1024MB DDR) looks a lot better.

It has higher polygon models, more detailed world textures, and smoother animations.[/QUOTE]
The Killzone trailer was pre-rendered, scripted bullshit, but I'll still beg to differ about Half-Life 2 looking better, compared to what was shown in the trailer, anyway, which is of course not the actual game. I personally don't think HL2 is all that earth-shaking.

Oh, well, I don't care. Graphics mean nothing to me.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The Killzone trailer was pre-rendered, scripted bullshit, but I'll still beg to differ about Half-Life 2 looking better. I personally don't think HL2 is all that earth-shaking.[/QUOTE]
Sorry you have a crappy computer. :cry:

[quote name='jkam']Did anyone really think this system would come cheap? The specs kind of geared me up a bit for a steep price. I'll probably just hold off and finish my backlog of games before buying one.[/QUOTE]

No, but we were hoping that the price will be "competitive" with the other next generation consoles.
Expensive wasn't exactly the word we wanted to hear.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Sorry you have a crappy computer. :cry:[/QUOTE]
I've seen HL2 maxed out, and I still stand by what I said.

Seriously, look at this.

This:

Compared to this:

I don't see how Half-Life's superiority is supposed to be so blazingly obvious.

Look at their hair, their hair for god's sake, in the Killzone trailer, and tell me that looks inferior than the textured helmets the HL2 characters have.

Go take me some screenshots of HL2 that look "a lot better" than the Killzone trailer, and we'll see then.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Almost all of the problems with the PS2 were caused by inproper lubrication of the laser arm. The newer versions have a double reinforced laser arm that will work even if it's unlubricated.

They will fix it for free, and I doubt they will make the same mistake twice.[/QUOTE]

You are wrong. I've had DREs on my PS2, and it's been sent in to be repaired by Sony to attempt to fix the DREs that I had 2 years ago. A friend of mine had to send his in twice, and his still gives problems every now and again.

[quote name='MegaMan3k']The Ps1 lived probably eight years... 1995 - 2003, right? Ps1 still had decent titles coming out well into Ps2's life.

A 10 year life span isn't unrealistic for the Ps3, but that is as long as they don't go ahead and release a Ps4 - that's what will kill the Ps3, not it's own technology.

At least that's what I think...[/QUOTE]

PS1 still had decent titles coming after the PS2 came out? I don't call a bunch of shovelware Disney/DragonBall Z games quality software.

First of all Sony can't be trusted with gaming hardware. Every sytem they have made has had problems, and I doubt ps3 will be any different.

Secondly, people who thought the ps3 was going to cost the same as the ps2 or only a little more are naive. Not only is the tech that is supposed to make up the system super expensive, but Kutaragi has been dropping subtle hints like "ps3 will be a supercomputer", "It's not just a game machine", that tell us that they are getting people ready for the expensive price that will be announced.

I still say the PS3 is going to be around $500. Let's see how close I am when it hits the store shelves.

[quote name='Scrubking']Not only is the tech that is supposed to make up the system super expensive, but Kutaragi has been dropping subtle hints like "ps3 will be a supercomputer", "It's not just a game machine", that tell us that they are getting people ready for the expensive price that will be announced.[/QUOTE]
I would just like to say that they said all the same stuff about PS2. Last I checked, my PS2 still isn't a central hub for all the electronics in my house, so I've learned to ignore Sony's marketing.

I seem to remember quite a few people having no problem paying $800 for a PS2 when they launched. People will pay $400 and probably even $500 for a PS3. Maybe not people on this site, but there are plenty that will. This argument happens every generation and if the console delivers on the games/performance/marketing then it sells well. This generation will be no different.

You also have to have a bit of knowledge of the Japanese consumer market to know why Sony is acting the way they are. Younger people pay rediculous amounts of money on fashion and trends. Hence, Japanese consumers almost WANT to pay more(think teenagers wearing gucci, armani, prada and nothing else). Therefore, the PS3 will sell in Japan regardless, which means the games will be made, which means Americans will buy them because they won't be on XBOX (RPGs etc). However it will be interesting to see how well the 360 does in Japan. If MS can get a few of these companies to start making RPGs for them then PS3 may be in trouble. However I doubt this knowing how the Japanse economy works which is another post in itself.

Didn't sony, in the same article, state the lack of development kits in the hands of developers. It looks like it may be another shitty launch for the ps3

I think I will probably follow the same course of action with the PS3 as I did with the PS2. I waited a little more than a year after PS2 came out to get it (actually got it for Christmas the year after) basically after the new MGS2 came out. I didn't miss anything in this time. I figure MGS4 won't release for about a year after PS3 is out, so it will be like deja vu, except if PS3 is expensive it def won't be a present. This will be easier because there are so many great games out for PS2 that I will probably still not even play through everything I have. I still played a lot of great PS1 games during the first year PS2 was out, and I wouldn't trade playing through a re-released and finally available Final Fantasy Tactics for The Bouncer or Fantavision any day.

And for the person who will be making $72 an hour, its not that I don't believe you but I would just like to know what career will pay you over $150,000 straight out of college (I assume) for only working 40 hours a week?

Upon hearing this news, I am reconsidering picking up each console at its launch (since more than likely they will each launch at different times). Sony has just given Microsoft an edge, I think, we already know the X360 will be around $300. Will the PS3 cost twice as much? What parent would be willing to drop $500 or more on a console for a kid? We cannot forget that a lot of Sony's customers do not have the financial means to buy $50 games let alone an 'expensive' console. (Do you know how much begging and how many promises I had to make in order to have my parents buy be an NES?) Prices are likely to tumble once the console wars start to heat up, I'll wait before I get a PS3, shortage of Dev kits does not promise a good launch anyway.

There's no point in buying consoles on launch anymore unless you have deep pockets... I think I'll only pick up the Rev since it'll probably be the cheapest. I'm guess the 360 will be $300+ and the PS3 will mean putting off buying a new car.

Since the PS3's lifespan is going to be 10 years, I guess I can get it 5 years later when it only costs as much as the downpayment on a new car, and still have 5 years to enjoy it.:D

Seriously, I'm not getting first gen 360 or PS3s.. MS and Sony systems have done nothing but crap out on me. I'll hold of on both of those for sure.

I cant see ps3 being more than 399.99, even though you're essentially gatting a $1000+ computer. RSX if sold alone would most likely retail for 600 dollars. That's how good it is.

P.S.- Don't know if anyone has talked about this here yet, but reportedly some Wal-Mart employees leaked that Xbox 360 will come in at 299.99; but I've also been hearing that a HD-DVD drive might ship later... as an ad on only for HD movies... and games will retail for about $60...Please excuse my laziness

bread's done
Back