Photo
- - - - -

Kutaragi: The PS3 will be [damn] expensive

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 wbc1228

wbc1228

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

Did anyone really think this system would come cheap? The specs kind of geared me up a bit for a steep price. I'll probably just hold off and finish my backlog of games before buying one.

No, but we were hoping that the price will be "competitive" with the other next generation consoles.
Expensive wasn't exactly the word we wanted to hear.

#32 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:35 PM

Sorry you have a crappy computer. :cry:

I've seen HL2 maxed out, and I still stand by what I said.

Seriously, look at this.

This:
Posted Image

Compared to this:
Posted ImagePosted Image

I don't see how Half-Life's superiority is supposed to be so blazingly obvious.

Look at their hair, their hair for god's sake, in the Killzone trailer, and tell me that looks inferior than the textured helmets the HL2 characters have.

Go take me some screenshots of HL2 that look "a lot better" than the Killzone trailer, and we'll see then.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 alongx

alongx

Soy loco por el Cornball

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:36 PM

Almost all of the problems with the PS2 were caused by inproper lubrication of the laser arm. The newer versions have a double reinforced laser arm that will work even if it's unlubricated.

They will fix it for free, and I doubt they will make the same mistake twice.

You are wrong. I've had DREs on my PS2, and it's been sent in to be repaired by Sony to attempt to fix the DREs that I had 2 years ago. A friend of mine had to send his in twice, and his still gives problems every now and again.
My gaming tally:

Posted Image

#34 Tromack

Tromack

Vitriolic since 1997

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

The Ps1 lived probably eight years... 1995 - 2003, right? Ps1 still had decent titles coming out well into Ps2's life.

A 10 year life span isn't unrealistic for the Ps3, but that is as long as they don't go ahead and release a Ps4 - that's what will kill the Ps3, not it's own technology.

At least that's what I think...

PS1 still had decent titles coming after the PS2 came out? I don't call a bunch of shovelware Disney/DragonBall Z games quality software.

#35 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:47 PM

First of all Sony can't be trusted with gaming hardware. Every sytem they have made has had problems, and I doubt ps3 will be any different.

Secondly, people who thought the ps3 was going to cost the same as the ps2 or only a little more are naive. Not only is the tech that is supposed to make up the system super expensive, but Kutaragi has been dropping subtle hints like "ps3 will be a supercomputer", "It's not just a game machine", that tell us that they are getting people ready for the expensive price that will be announced.

I still say the PS3 is going to be around $500. Let's see how close I am when it hits the store shelves.

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#36 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:18 PM

Not only is the tech that is supposed to make up the system super expensive, but Kutaragi has been dropping subtle hints like "ps3 will be a supercomputer", "It's not just a game machine", that tell us that they are getting people ready for the expensive price that will be announced.

I would just like to say that they said all the same stuff about PS2. Last I checked, my PS2 still isn't a central hub for all the electronics in my house, so I've learned to ignore Sony's marketing.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 madmage

madmage

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

I seem to remember quite a few people having no problem paying $800 for a PS2 when they launched. People will pay $400 and probably even $500 for a PS3. Maybe not people on this site, but there are plenty that will. This argument happens every generation and if the console delivers on the games/performance/marketing then it sells well. This generation will be no different.

You also have to have a bit of knowledge of the Japanese consumer market to know why Sony is acting the way they are. Younger people pay rediculous amounts of money on fashion and trends. Hence, Japanese consumers almost WANT to pay more(think teenagers wearing gucci, armani, prada and nothing else). Therefore, the PS3 will sell in Japan regardless, which means the games will be made, which means Americans will buy them because they won't be on XBOX (RPGs etc). However it will be interesting to see how well the 360 does in Japan. If MS can get a few of these companies to start making RPGs for them then PS3 may be in trouble. However I doubt this knowing how the Japanse economy works which is another post in itself.

#38 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:50 PM

Didn't sony, in the same article, state the lack of development kits in the hands of developers. It looks like it may be another shitty launch for the ps3

#39 lionheart4life

lionheart4life

The Human Suplex Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:08 PM

I think I will probably follow the same course of action with the PS3 as I did with the PS2. I waited a little more than a year after PS2 came out to get it (actually got it for Christmas the year after) basically after the new MGS2 came out. I didn't miss anything in this time. I figure MGS4 won't release for about a year after PS3 is out, so it will be like deja vu, except if PS3 is expensive it def won't be a present. This will be easier because there are so many great games out for PS2 that I will probably still not even play through everything I have. I still played a lot of great PS1 games during the first year PS2 was out, and I wouldn't trade playing through a re-released and finally available Final Fantasy Tactics for The Bouncer or Fantavision any day.

And for the person who will be making $72 an hour, its not that I don't believe you but I would just like to know what career will pay you over $150,000 straight out of college (I assume) for only working 40 hours a week?
Posted Image

#40 ShadowRayden

ShadowRayden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:33 PM

Upon hearing this news, I am reconsidering picking up each console at its launch (since more than likely they will each launch at different times). Sony has just given Microsoft an edge, I think, we already know the X360 will be around $300. Will the PS3 cost twice as much? What parent would be willing to drop $500 or more on a console for a kid? We cannot forget that a lot of Sony's customers do not have the financial means to buy $50 games let alone an 'expensive' console. (Do you know how much begging and how many promises I had to make in order to have my parents buy be an NES?) Prices are likely to tumble once the console wars start to heat up, I'll wait before I get a PS3, shortage of Dev kits does not promise a good launch anyway.
Later Days!

My Games
My DVD's

#41 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

There's no point in buying consoles on launch anymore unless you have deep pockets... I think I'll only pick up the Rev since it'll probably be the cheapest. I'm guess the 360 will be $300+ and the PS3 will mean putting off buying a new car.

Since the PS3's lifespan is going to be 10 years, I guess I can get it 5 years later when it only costs as much as the downpayment on a new car, and still have 5 years to enjoy it.:D

Seriously, I'm not getting first gen 360 or PS3s.. MS and Sony systems have done nothing but crap out on me. I'll hold of on both of those for sure.

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#42 MadEdSkillz

MadEdSkillz

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:07 PM

I cant see ps3 being more than 399.99, even though you're essentially gatting a $1000+ computer. RSX if sold alone would most likely retail for 600 dollars. That's how good it is.

P.S.- Don't know if anyone has talked about this here yet, but reportedly some Wal-Mart employees leaked that Xbox 360 will come in at 299.99; but I've also been hearing that a HD-DVD drive might ship later... as an ad on only for HD movies... and games will retail for about $60...Please excuse my laziness