Video Card Problems

SoulEdgeVII

CAGiversary!
I just bought No One Lives Forever 2 ($9.99 at CompUSA if anyone's interested) but I can't play it because my video card does not have hardware T and L. The problem is I don't even know what that is. My current video card is the one that came with the computer, an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64. Can anyone give the names of cheap video cards that have the hardware T and L and won't set me back too much? I liked the first NOLF but I'm not going to spend over 50 dollars in order to play the sequel. This is why I've never been a PC gamer. Too many needed updates. Thanks though!

System Requirements No One Lives Forever 2 (PC)
Windows® 98/ME/2000 (with latest service pack)/XP
DirectX 8.1 (included) or higher
Pentium® III 500Mhz or equivalent
128 MB RAM (256MB for Windows XP)
32MB Direct3D compatible video card with Hardware T and L, 32-bit color support, and DirectX 8.1 compatible driver
1.4 GB free Hard Drive Space for installation plus additional hard drive space for a Windows swap file and saved game files
4x CD ROM
DirectSound(R) compatible 16-bit sound card with DirectX 8.1 compatible driver
56k modem or LAN for multiplay
Mouse and Keyboard

never played the first but I can vouch for the greatness of the second. Played it through several times.

and scrubking provided a link for a great card that needed the CD, but its gone. I promise I did not delete it.

[quote name='gamefreak117']thats the same card that I use. it works well with Counter-Strike and fine with UT2004. Note that I said fine...[/quote]

No, you said well :)

[quote name='Tom'][quote name='gamefreak117']thats the same card that I use. it works well with Counter-Strike and fine with UT2004. Note that I said fine...[/quote]

No, you said well :)[/quote]

Nice try. :roll:

The Radion 9600 pro is only 90 bucks these days. I've been playing NOLF2 fro a long time with my 9000 so I would say get that. If price is really an issue for you than check out

www.pricewatch.com for the best deals. just make sure you are getting the brand you wat and not genaric. I ordered genaric ram once and regreted it.

And for the record, T&L is Transform & Lighting. Basically rotate and light polygons. Used to be done in software, now you'll see games that require hardware t&l support.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Beware of crappy stores listed on pricewatch. Most people like Newegg.[/quote]

INDEED!

Although it is possible to get a great deal on pricewatch, lately they have linked to a bunch of crappy vendors that try to trick you into buying extra stuff by automatically adding extra items when you click on a product.

Meh, most of the add-ons can be declined. Pricewatch has the feedback feature now, so you can tell who the good merchants are. I've ordrered all kinds of stuff using Pricewatch and have yet to run into a bad part or shady deal.

[quote name='PsyClerk']Meh, most of the add-ons can be declined.[/quote]

Listen to what you are saying? Most?

The point is that when I click on a mobo that costs $100 the next page shouldn't pop up with $400 worth of crap that they have added. I can only imagine how many people have missed something and purchased something they didn't want.

kinda off topic, but I think the original NOLF is a better game. It's way more an homage to 60's spy movies than 2. Plus no level in 2 can beat the exploding airplane or the space station levels of the original.

Word.

[quote name='Scrubking']Listen to what you are saying? Most?[/quote]

By most, I should clarify that by saying 'most stores that have all the drop down menus for add-ons.' A lot of stores don't have those, and they don't try to sell you extras.

[quote name='Scrubking']The point is that when I click on a mobo that costs $100 the next page shouldn't pop up with $400 worth of crap that they have added. I can only imagine how many people have missed something and purchased something they didn't want.[/quote]

If you purchase something you didn't want, you have only yourself to blame. Online stores pretty much show you what you're ordering before you actually pay and give you the choice to back out. I've looked at an assload of barebones systems, cases, motherboards and combos off Pricewatch (and ordered several), and I've never gotten the shaft. Those add-ons are called up-sells, and you get them all the time.

I can see it now...

Customer: I'd like a number 4 combo please.
Cashier: Would you like to super size that?
Customer: ...you...SON...OF A BITCH! (produces shotgun)

Sorry, that popped into my head because I miss the old Scrubking avatar I guess. Anyways, if you ever run into a store that won't let you select "No Thanks" or 'none' for any of the options, then I wouldn't do business with them, AND I'd report it to Pricewatch. But I would say those types of stores are rare.

Sorry, that popped into my head because I miss the old Scrubking avatar I guess. Anyways, if you ever run into a store that won't let you select "No Thanks" or 'none' for any of the options, then I wouldn't do business with them, AND I'd report it to Pricewatch. But I would say those types of stores are rare.

LOL

Anyway I have come across stores on pricewatch that bait and switch you without the possibilty of just getting the first thing they showed, but now that I know I can report them I will get my revenge.

Seriously, do that. It would suck for you to miss out on some cheap hardware because of an aversion to Pricewatch.

Really though, Newegg is legendary in terms of fairness and service and...not shady-ness. If somethings is more expensive on there, it's rarely more than a few bucks, and I think the peace of mind of buying something from somewhere like that is worth it.

Oh, and the thing about the drop-downs/extra stuff. See, you can of course, deselect any of the extra crap, but a lot of times, some of it is important stuff, and what Pricewatch lists is the base price for an item. So you end up paying more. It's just misleading sometimes, such as when you see something for, say, 100 bucks that ends up 120 because of necessary add-ons. It's annoying and a bit of a mislead.

As I said before, if you see a company pull something like that, then you can report them to Pricewatch.

It should be said that the bait-and-switch and misleading situations that have been described in this thread are not the norm for Pricewatch.

bread's done
Back