Saturn DVD Case Artwork Project

magius360

CAGiversary!
Ok, seeing the playstation project got me thinking that DVD case artwork for Saturn would be good as well. The manuals won't fit in the DVD cases though, so this is entirely for looks.

Sites to get scans at (not necessarily good ones):
http://www.supersega.com/index_caratulas_sega_covers.asp
http://www.vgmuseum.com/scans/saturn.html

Proper 300dpi Template

Finished case artwork (need to be resized to proper 300dpi):
Albert Odyssey Legend of Eldean - Magius
Arcades Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection 1 - Magius
Area 51 - Magius
Guardian Heroes - Magius
Megaman X4 - Daroga
NiGHTS into Dreams - Magius
Sonic Jam (EU Version) - Daroga
Virtua Fighter 2 - Magius
Virtua Fighter Remix - Magius

DO NOT try to print out any of these covers yet, I need to properly size them. If you print them out at 300dpi, they will be way too small.

EDIT:
Ok, here are corrected dimensions. I will finish up the template in a while.
Spine Logo/Graphic Area: 180x575
Entire Spine: 180x2110
Spine Title Area: 180x1535
Back & Front: 1470x2110
Entire Case Artwork: 3150x2110

Looks nice. I like the idea for having them in DVD cases, or even standard jewel cases (like the Saturn Japanese releases).

It's by nomeans perfect, but using a font I got from here I tried (in about 15 minutes) to clean up the template a bit.

View it here. Maybe someone else can get a more accurate look? I might invest some more time in it tonight as well. I was using the spine label on the US version of NiGHTS as a guide.

daroga

Yeah, that looks good. Thats the way I pictured it, but I couldn't find any good pics of the text for the front. Looks much more clean than the ugly text I used. Now I can get started on some covers.

[quote name='zewone']Request: Guardian Heroes and Dragon Force[/QUOTE]
Here is Guardian Heroes:

I can't find a good scan of Dragon Force however.

NiGHTS.

If you've seen my posts elsewhere, you know I'm a big guy on spines matching, thus my covers will have text spines. Sorry. :) (And I couldn't get the NiGHTS logo to look decent blown up on the spine.)

Can someone test print these to see how they come out?

daroga

EDIT: Heh, Magius beat me to it :)

Did Virtua Cop have a regular, full box ever? That site just has the CD Jewel Case "Not for Resale" cover.

Anyway, here's Mega Man X4 and Sonic Jam (EU Version as I couldn't find the US one).

Just a cautionary note, it seems that we might have some probelms getting these printed. The template, while seemingly the right size, reports to be some 40 inches long in Photoshop. Perhaps we ought to redesing the template from scratch at 150 dpi (since that's what the source images at that site are) or at 300 dpi (the standard for the other projects) so that we can be assured that everyone will be able to print them at the right size. Otherwise, we might have troubles.

Edit: Here, use this template now. The new one is 7.25"x5" at 300dpi. I'll fix my stuff tomorrow. The old template has been removed from my site. I'll get a Photoshop version up tomorrow hopefully as well.

daroga

Both Sonic Jam & MegaMan X4 have been updated. The links are still the same.

Snowcone, if you read this, can we have some space at Snackbar for this little project too? You knew it would never end, right? ;)

daroga

I tried printing it out, but it was way too small. Shouldn't they be 10.5 x 7.25 for proper sizing? Or would you re-scale the dimensions before you print? I know its supposed to be 300dpi, but its still printing as if it was smaller.

[quote name='magius360']I tried printing it out, but it was way too small. Shouldn't they be 10.5 x 7.25 for proper sizing? Or would you re-scale the dimensions before you print? I know its supposed to be 300dpi, but its still printing as if it was smaller.[/QUOTE]

That's entirely possible. I pulled the mesaurements from a random website, but it may have been a DVD-like case, but not a true DVD case.

Give it a go resizing it to the correct mesaurments. I think I just screwed it up. Sorry! We'll get things fixed once we figure out what to do.

daroga

[quote name='daroga']That's entirely possible. I pulled the mesaurements from a random website, but it may have been a DVD-like case, but not a true DVD case.

Give it a go resizing it to the correct mesaurments. I think I just screwed it up. Sorry! We'll get things fixed once we figure out what to do.

daroga[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure either, but this is what I was thinking:
2175x1500pixels / 300dpi = 7.25x5 inches

so then:
10.5inches x 300dpi = 3150pix
7.25inches x 300dpi = 2175pix
3150x2175 would be the proper size at 300dpi then, because 2175x1500 would need to be at a lower dpi to be the proper size.

Don't worry about it. It shouldn't be too hard to resize them. But if I'm correct, even the Playstation case artwork covers are not sized properly, and are off just a bit.

EDIT: I've already fixed the template. I'll fix the cases I've done already tomorrow.

These are fantastic! I have a few games that I can scan maybe tomorrow.

I also have a some requests, or if anyone could hopefully at least scan:

Castlevania SotN
Christmas Nights
Marvel Super Heroes
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Radiant Silvergun
Samurai Showdown III
Samurai Showdown IV

[quote name='heavy liquid']These are fantastic! I have a few games that I can scan maybe tomorrow.

I also have a some requests, or if anyone could hopefully at least scan:

Castlevania SotN
Christmas Nights
Marvel Super Heroes
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Radiant Silvergun
Samurai Showdown III
Samurai Showdown IV[/QUOTE]

Just don't print any of the finished ones out yet, we still have to resize them to the proper DVD artwork size.

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']I've been working on CD cases for Saturn games for awhile now if anyone wants.[/QUOTE]
That sounds good if you have links to them.

Does anyone know how to completely set the margin when printing to 0? I have finally properly sized them, but when I print them out on regular paper for a test try, the printer always cuts off the right of the front cover because of the margin. Do I just need longer paper?

The PS1 cases print properly at 291-293 DPI and fit well other than the printer cutting off the far right of the front of the cover.

[quote name='magius360']That sounds good if you have links to them.

Does anyone know how to completely set the margin when printing to 0? I have finally properly sized them, but when I print them out on regular paper for a test try, the printer always cuts off the right of the front cover because of the margin. Do I just need longer paper?

The PS1 cases print properly at 291-293 DPI and fit well other than the printer cutting off the far right of the front of the cover.[/QUOTE]

Some printers can't do it. It may be a limitation of your printer. Perhaps try getting some legal size paper and printing on that?

Well, I'm happy. I adjusted one of the PC covers I made using the playstation template (redesigned it for PC though) to 292 DPI, and printed it properly; I had to do so because the template wasn't properly designed for 300 DPI, but I used it anyways. I must say, it looks good, even with a lower quality. I had to do like 5 tries to get my printer set properly, which was irritating because ink is not cheap. The artwork was for Tribes 2 PC. Yes, I have a PC template, but I don't want to start another topic.

Here is what the artwork looks like that I printed out:

If someone really wants to do a PC DVD case artwork thread, go ahead.

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']I've been working on CD cases for Saturn games for awhile now if anyone wants.[/QUOTE]

Yes, please! Please post them if you can, or let someone host them! :)

[quote name='magius360']Well, I'm happy. I adjusted one of the PC covers I made using the playstation template (redesigned it for PC though) to 292 DPI, and printed it properly; I had to do so because the template wasn't properly designed for 300 DPI, but I used it anyways. I must say, it looks good, even with a lower quality. I had to do like 5 tries to get my printer set properly, which was irritating because ink is not cheap. The artwork was for Tribes 2 PC. Yes, I have a PC template, but I don't want to start another topic.

Here is what the artwork looks like that I printed out:

If someone really wants to do a PC DVD case artwork thread, go ahead.[/QUOTE]

So, do the "proper 300 dpi template" in the first post works or no? There's been too many versions floating around.

daroga

Yeah, the new template I edited into the first post is now correct. I have yet to fix the actual case designs as of yet.

Sounds good. What needs to be done to the old templates? I'd be glad to help out fixing those before we get new ones made.

daroga

They just need to be resized. I'll get around to it, but with school just now starting again, I don't have a lot of time to work on them.

I could probably scan the front and back covers of my copy of Shining the Holy Ark. I don't know if anyone is interested. It seems like several of thses projects died.

I do have a few questions. Do most recent scanner have that 300dpi setting? Then all I would have to do is place them on the template? I would be doing this in the GIMP.

this is definitely a bummer, I would have loved to put all my Panzer Dragoon games(among others) in DVD cases.

Has anyone ever found a site that at least has scans of the original cover art for Saturn games? I googled it a number of times and found nothing.

I scanned my copy of Shining the Holy Ark. I was wanting to know if those if those dimensions on the first post were correct? I downloaded that template and its size doesn't match the dimensions listed. I could do some more work on this, I just need to know about those dimenisons so I can get my scans to fit.

This and the Genesis project need a swift kick the behind.

Anyway, I'm pretty useless at this point. Even at hope I have no covers for any of my games (all disc only). I can be a cheer leader though! :)

If anyone is interested in having the video game inserts that are available for download printed out but don't have the resources to do it I'm offering a print service at a cost of $0.35 per insert plus a small S&H fee. I can print them out on a thin, glossy cardstock that will hold up better than paper. The printer I use is a high end commercial grade color laser that's as big as a washing machine, no kidding, and it does an incredible job. The only thing I ask is that you order a minimum of two inserts because the sheets I use are 12" x 18" and this will help prevent wasting the cardstock. If you check my feedback you'll see that I already have two very satisfied customers.

[quote name='Speed Racer']If anyone is interested in having the video game inserts that are available for download printed out but don't have the resources to do it I'm offering a print service at a cost of $0.35 per insert plus a small S&H fee. I can print them out on a thin, glossy cardstock that will hold up better than paper. The printer I use is a high end commercial grade color laser that's as big as a washing machine, no kidding, and it does an incredible job. The only thing I ask is that you order a minimum of two inserts because the sheets I use are 12" x 18" and this will help prevent wasting the cardstock. If you check my feedback you'll see that I already have two very satisfied customers.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably take you up on the offer soon. I wanted to get some of those N64 ones done(my printer sucks), I'm just waiting for a couple more covers to be made.

I wish there was still some interest in the Saturn covers, they are the ones I need the most. I'm pretty much to the point where I would pay somebody to design the cases I need.... then pay you to print them.

I totally appreciate you offering the printing service though. How much does it typically cost to ship?

[quote name='ManChowder']I'll probably take you up on the offer soon. I wanted to get some of those N64 ones done(my printer sucks), I'm just waiting for a couple more covers to be made.

I wish there was still some interest in the Saturn covers, they are the ones I need the most. I'm pretty much to the point where I would pay somebody to design the cases I need.... then pay you to print them.

I totally appreciate you offering the printing service though. How much does it typically cost to ship?[/QUOTE]

Shipping and handling charges depend on the number of inserts you want and your location but the average cost is between $2.00 to $5.00.

[quote name='Speed Racer']Shipping and handling charges depend on the number of inserts you want and your location but the average cost is between $2.00 to $5.00.[/QUOTE]

cool deal, sounds good!

Here's a site that has quite some Saturn covers, mainly European though. I posted this already on the Genesis covers thread and will probably post it on the Dreamcast thread as well cause they have some covers for that too. I don't know how much work it is to edit the covers to be of use to you, but at least you have something to work with.
So long
Here's the link:
http://www.zonesega.com/covers-Saturn.html

A little off topic but does the US saturn play import games or do I need to get a japanese saturn?

bread's done
Back