Chulip Pre-Order $14.99

The Tragic Geek

CAGiversary!
You can find the deal here.

Sounds like a quirky game. From what I gather, it takes place in a rather fucked up place, a la Earthbound. Everyone's depressed, living in holes in the ground, and if you ever want to win the heart of a local girl (who lives in a sewer pipe), you have to do a glut of tasks to help the townspeople, and, ultimately...kiss everyone.

Yeah, sorta fucked up.

Sounds weird, but I figured it would appeal to the Mister Mosquito sort of crowd.

1-Up.com interview with developer
Gamezone Review

Thanks goes to KabutoHunter at GameFAQs.

EDIT: It may show up cheaper at other places, according to the 1up.com article. Seems like anywhere between $9.99 and $19.99 is game.

I spoke with their(Natsume) PR guy at E3. It definitely looks like an interesting game. Some of the characters are downright whacked out. There's a doctor that's normal by day, but at night walks the streets with a giant syringe(sp) trying to draw peoples blood, and if you kiss the cop he'll shoot you. The guy told me they were planning on debuting it at either $19.99 or $9.99 so $14.99 might not really be a great deal for this game. I'd wait to see.

I spoke with Natsume's VP of Marketing at E3 (very nice people) they assured me that they were gonna let this out for $9.99.

I was so thrilled... I just hope to see this generate some decent attention for them.

It would suck if Natsume went under...
We need more risk taking niche publishers like them and Mastiff.

I wouldn't doubt it will be 9.99 straight off the bat, but for the love of god.. don't let 5 little bucks prevent you from pre-ordering at ebgames.com...
if it launches for less... they'll charge you the lower price. Give this game a chance... it was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the heads up - I was a little worried about this one and totally forgot to check the Natsume booth at E3 -- it will be awesome.

[quote name='siamesellama']I remember seeing this in some magazine and thinking it'd never make it to the US. I'm glad it's on the way.[/quote]

I distinctly remember EGM saying Ka (Mr. Mosquito) would never have a snowball's chance in hell of coming to the US. They were a little wrong.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']
I distinctly remember EGM saying Ka (Mr. Mosquito) would never have a snowball's chance in hell of coming to the US. They were a little wrong.[/quote]

Too bad Mr Mosquito 2 never came over here. :(

Hey man, thanks for spreadin the word! Heh. I finally got my CheapAss registered here specifically to post this deal. Looks like you beat me to it! :lol:

I can't wait for November! Hmm.. Chulip or GT4, which am I more hyped for in that month. I can't choose! lol.

That review is so long, its just easier to buy the game and worry about it later.

Does anyone know if there will be Japanese voice work (or any voicework)?

[quote name='CheapyD']That review is so long, its just easier to buy the game and worry about it later.

Does anyone know if there will be Japanese voice work (or any voicework)?[/quote]

Well, here on the Japanese Chulip site ( http://www.punch-line.org/chulip/chulip_cm.htm ) they've got some commertials featured, and it certainly looks like the game is fully voiced. But it's hard to tell from just a couple seconds of video. I'm guessing Natsume would dub it into English.

Wyrdwad's review was what got me interested in the game like 2 years ago, never thought it would actually come to America. Quite surprising to see it's coming.

No problem, KabutoHunter. I saw you trying to spread it around GameFAQs, so I figured I'd spread it here (where, honestly, it seems more people would show interest).

I need to go ahead and preorder this. I've been spending all my money lately trying to improve my gaming setup, what with my relatively meager monthly checks. Finally got a bigger TV, so now for a 5.1 Speaker/DVD set, some component cables, and an entertainment center.

Err...pardon the rambling.

Anyway, glad to hear that people are interested. Hey, maybe Ka 2 will come here, after all. If not, I guess I'll chip my PS2 for it... :evil:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243544.asp

There are 50 kissable characters in the game and they each have requirements you must fulfill before you can start smooching.
http://www.just-rpg.com/default.asp?pid=1106

Chulip.jpg

if you read the article about it, it actully sounds pretty intresting. its the kind of game that will either be full of quirky awesome-ness or just totally be lame.

im hoping for the awesome XoD

yeah...ive been waiting for this game :shock:...but ive never preordered from eb....is their a free shipping code for preorders? i was trying to preorder some games a couple days ago from there and they wanted to charge me separate shipping for each game (which makes sense considering they all had different release dates), but id just prefer getting them in the store instead of paying $10 in shipping....unless theirs a code....

I wish EBgames.com had a 'pick up in store' option. I guess you could just preorder from a B&M store near you, and solve the problem.
That looks like an...interesting game. I am glad to see diversity and creativity in games. I didn't get into the PS2 Harvest Moon, so this one isn't on the top of my list, but i'll keep an eye out and see how it looks.

[quote name='punqsux']sorry about the repost guys... =ox[/quote]

Ya had to know I'd be gunning for ya after the Sims 2 "incident" ;)
J/K, obviously.

Anyway, this game looks pretty cool. I'm going to pick it up.

I figured I'd give this a bump, with all the Katamari Damacy hype and success so far maybe some more people might be interested in taking a chance with this game.

[quote name='jimbodan']I figured I'd give this a bump, with all the Katamari Damacy hype and success so far maybe some more people might be interested in taking a chance with this game.[/quote]

Hey. thanks for bumping the topic. Hell, even I've forgotten to pre-order it just yet, so this is a good reminder to do so.

And according to many, Katamari Damacy is flying off shelves. Let's hope that games like Chulip can do the same, and maybe, with the PS3 era (assuming no one wants to tackle any of the "old" quirky games on the PS2), we'll see more companies willing to branch out in the niche genres.

Edit: Damn! I didn't realize it had been delayed until next year. In all fairness, I guess that's not such a bad thing; more time to complete the ungodly amount of games I've got building up.

Yes, Katamari is flying off the shelves. I went to two game stores in Boulder on the Thursday, and they were both completely sold out....with more on the way.

And yeah, I threw down some left-over credit on a Chulip pre-order about 3 weeks ago. I'm actually surprized to see this many people have taken interest.

topic merged
This is one of those games from Japan that are odd like Ribbit King or Katamari Damacy. It is a RPG based on kissing. It is also made by the people who make Harvest Moon. Cheap ass link

Delete if already posted please.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']cool

what's up with the swirled image of the Oni box[/quote]

That is what they show when they do not have a picture of the box art.

I played this at E3 this year. It's pretty random. As far as I know, you're supposed to kiss the special girl under the special tree by the end of the year to have her fall in love wiht you... but before that, you have to learn how to kiss.

So you kiss anything and everything. You get better. There's also this maniac that runs around at night and'll kill you or something like that.

It's pretty random. But for $15... not bad I guess.

And the highlight from what I remember is that you can pick up poo and try to put it in the mailbox.

Mmm sounds pretty kooky/quirky (as they say). $14.99 is pretty good for a game.. it could be like Katamari and be worth the $20, and it's like where you either dislike it or like it. I might pick this up once I see some screenshots around someplace.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']cool

I never noticed that that was Oni until you pointed it out.

Regarding the game, it seems quite quirky indeed, but probably worth a shot at $15. Plus, it's good to support the quirky games so they keep bringing them here.

[quote name='Zero3']And the highlight from what I remember is that you can pick up poo and try to put it in the mailbox.[/quote]

I don't need a game for that. :puke:

[quote name='chickenhawk'][quote name='pimp tyranny']cool

I never noticed that that was Oni until you pointed it out.[/quote]

Neither had I, but it seems so obvious now that you told us. Good eye.

Hopefully this'll be worth my money, no matter how cheap it debuts at. I gotta admit, it is looking pretty cool so far tho :)

bread's done
Back