In the Groove (PS2) $20/$40 with pad at Red Octane

Pick this game up. I'm predicting it to be quite uncommon due to its underground nature and impending lawsuit. Could be the next Gitaroo or beyond.

It's not a well done game but it's still fun if you like rythmn games!

[quote name='BarrettSan']It's not a well done game but it's still fun if you like rythmn games![/QUOTE]
How is it not well done? Not jumping on you or anything, I'm just curious why you say that. I love the arcade and home versions of this game, and some of the extra variations (hands, mines, etc) keep things interesting.

[quote name='Zingela']How is it not well done? Not jumping on you or anything, I'm just curious why you say that. I love the arcade and home versions of this game, and some of the extra variations (hands, mines, etc) keep things interesting.[/QUOTE]

I second that. I actually play ITG more than DDR now because it manages to keep my interest better. The steps are designed much better, the game is more challenging, and it has a decent songlist.

For the "investors": I don't see if becoming rare rare. But if Konami wins the lawsuit and the game gets pulled everywhere...you could see this going for $50ish down the road. Even if it doesn't it's a DDR-like game (and a decent one) and those never seem to drop too far in price. If you're gonna buy it to sell it later you shouldn't have to worry about losing money.

I've only played the game in the arcade even though I got the console version when it came out...ah well at least I got a tshirt.

One of my friends composed some of the tracks in this game, I'll be picking one up to support him, from what he told me it's supposed to be great.

[quote name='sisco1986']One of my friends composed some of the tracks in this game, I'll be picking one up to support him, from what he told me it's supposed to be great.[/QUOTE]
What's his name?

[quote name='Zingela']How is it not well done? Not jumping on you or anything, I'm just curious why you say that. I love the arcade and home versions of this game, and some of the extra variations (hands, mines, etc) keep things interesting.[/QUOTE]

I felt that the loading times were excessive (probably due to the difficulty of PS2 programming with so little RAM) and that if they'd taken the time to optimize it it would have been much, much better. I also thought a lot of the tracks were kind of generic. It's still a blast though - I buy every DDR and ITG that comes out for consoles :D

I took a bite on this. I'm glad I waited from getting it on launch. I figured there'd be somewhat of a drop, and this was good enough.

As long as you are not buying it to use the workout mode this is a great addition to any DDR players collection. The battle mode is a blast, even against the computer.

So what kind of music does it have? Is it all jp pop crud? The description says"dance" but that could mean just about anything. House? Pop? top 40? etc...?

The arcade ddr had some tolerable music, so is the music in this one better or worse then the arcade DDR?
I'm on the fence whether to get it or not and dont want to blow 40 if I cant stand the music.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']So what kind of music does it have? Is it all jp pop crud? The description says"dance" but that could mean just about anything. House? Pop? top 40? etc...?

The arcade ddr had some tolerable music, so is the music in this one better or worse then the arcade DDR?
I'm on the fence whether to get it or not and dont want to blow 40 if I cant stand the music.[/QUOTE]

DDR's is better IMO. Some of ITG's music I like but other tracks just sound like blatant ripoffs of KO's.
Also ITG is a tech handjob, that's my other problem. Frankly none of this music is danceable really. DDR actually had artists or mixers you could see yourself dancing to, X-Treme comes to mind. "Cafe" by DD Sound is an excellent track from DDR;

[quote name='Battousai1002']Go here for a taste of the music: http://www.inthegroove.com/. I personally like Smiley and KaW the most. [/QUOTE]

I personally like Tough Enough, Normal, Not worth the paper, and No1 Nation the most. But there are a lot of songs I like from the mix overall.

I dont know about their pad but as for the thin ones I personally couldn't go much above 5 or 6 without it bunching up or turning way to much.

I'm a big dance game fan. I've played all of the DDR mixes, US and Japanese, extensively, and a hell of a lot of ITG as well. At this price, it's a steal. Is it better than DDR? No, unless you're the type of person who can only enjoy themselves on 10-foot songs or higher. If you don't know what that means, then you're definitely going to have a better time with DDR. The steps are (IMO) much more fun in DDR, even if they don't go well beyond humanly possible in terms of difficulty. And let's not even get into the load times.

That being said, I've had a blast with ITG. Over 70 songs, some of them a lot of fun (Utopia, Land of the Rising Sun...), and a fun new twist on Nonstop mode. Don't expect it to be better than what else is out there, but you'll get your $20 worth, no problem.

Regular pads will work fine.

I'm definetly picking it up, I wanted the game but didn't want to spend anywhere near full price for it

If it's like the regular (non Ignition) Red Octane pad, it's a good but not great pad for beginners or people playing easier songs. If you already have a pad especially a good pad, I wouldn't bother getting the pad

[quote name='CouRageouS']How is the pad by the way? Right now I'm debating on whether or not to order with or without it.[/QUOTE]It's the best thin pad you'll find, but it's still a thin pad. Better than nothing, and fine for easy and most medium-level songs, but if you know for a fact you'll really get into DDR, you'll want an Ignition.

Is the $29.95 Red Octane Taiko drum a good addition to save five bucks on shipping, or are those still cheaply available at GameStop and the like?

[quote name='trunks982']does my konami dance pad works on that? and vice versa of that pad working on my ddr game?[/QUOTE]

Normal DDR pads work fine on ItG. I am using CF pads when I play ItG. The pad advertised there will work fine for DDR as well since DDR does not use the bottom 2 corner buttons.

[quote name='Modus Pwnens']Is the $29.95 Red Octane Taiko drum a good addition to save five bucks on shipping, or are those still cheaply available at GameStop and the like?[/QUOTE]

I just bought those drums at Gamestop for $14.99 (although it was tagged at $19.99) a week ago.

Yeah, but I am retired until I find a place to live that will support me jumping up and down.
Mrs. Cheapy and I gave it a go in our current apartment, but the floor is just too crappy. It sounds like the whole building is going to come tumbling down. I even bought a wood board to mount the pad on, but it was still way too noisy.

Old NYC buildings...

[quote name='CheapyD']Yeah, but I am retired until I find a place to live that will support me jumping up and down.
Mrs. Cheapy and I gave it a go in our current apartment, but the floor is just too crappy. It sounds like the whole building is going to come tumbling down. I even bought a wood board to mount the pad on, but it was still way too noisy.

Old NYC buildings...[/QUOTE]
when moving the past 2 times, my roomates and i were only looking at 1st floor apts. so i could ddr ^^

[quote name='CheapyD']Yeah, but I am retired until I find a place to live that will support me jumping up and down.

Old NYC buildings...[/QUOTE]

Thats cool. I am luckily in a townhome so no one below to get annoyed at me for playing. I have played every day (with the exception of one week I took off for health reasons) for about a year and a half now. Dropped 150 pounds and feel a LOT better. Still stuck at around the 8-9 foot level though. Doubles are fun and ItG Battle mode is fun, even against the computer.

Here's hopeing you get a way to play DDR again.

Got my bundle in the mail today. Really fast but I expected it since I live like a half hour away from Red Octane. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the package and they included a soundtrack, is everyone else getting it too?

Mine came today! ^_^ Too bad my PSTwo and the game are at home...while I am here at college! :cry: Oh well, some weekend it will get played when I make it back home...someday...

Well, I did make it home this last weekend and I got a chance to play it. I am enjoying the song list on this one. I'll probably buy another copy for my nephew, because he too, liked the songs.

EDIT: Exclusive deals would be great! I'd definitely purchase Ultramix 3, Extreme 2, and Mario Mix from them if they had a special deal for CAG's.

[quote name='CheapyD']The Red Octane guys were very pleased with the CAG response to this promotion.
So much so, they are likely to give CAG some exclusive deals.
[/QUOTE]

That would be cool. I have told everyone at work that likes DDR about the deal and hopefully some of them will get in on it.

just ordered it, i hope its good, i figure its worth 20 for the game and 20 for the pad (i have one ok pad and one crappy crappy one) so can you guys tell me how good the pad is? compared to the konami one? i pretty much max at 8 steps, and even that doesnt always work out.

ITG is superior to DDR IMO. Songs average 2:00 mins on ITG, while only some of the longer songs on DDR reah 2:00 mins. 7, 8, 9 footers are much harder on ITG than on DDR. The "Fitness Mode" on ITG is also superior for those who want to lose some weight. Overall this is better than anything that DDR has to offer til now. We will see when Extreme 2 and Ultramix 3 comes out. Take it from a DDR Freak, ITG is teh roxor!

bread's done
Back