gonna go out and break a folkway what should I do?

CaoPi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
lol I'm taking this sociolgy class so we gotta study how people act. Our professor gives us this assignment to go into the public and violate a folkway(norm) and write up a 3 page paper for it. Obiviously we can't do anything that causes emotional harm to others or break any laws! any ideas? ;)

I always find it disturbing when people talk to themselves. Or dig through trash. Touch yourself. Walk around barefoot. Offer people change instead of panhandling. Wear a dress (assuming you're a guy). Any of those work for you?

Walk into an elevator full of people; make sure you're nearest to the door. After the door closes and the elevator starts moving, turn around and face everyone who are no doubt facing the door. Don't look away, and just try to look normal. Just be sure to not break eye contact, especially with the people averting your gaze.

Go to a coffee house where teens and young adults hang out and yell "I support Bush!"

[quote name='Theenternal']Do the narate thing from family guy.

Go somewhere public, and narate everything you do.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I read "narate" like "karate" ... must be late ... you mean narrate? :)

I think he should strap a piece of cardboard with the middle cut out and pretend he is watching TV like in Family Guy.

[quote name='opportunity777']Dress up like a woman and go to the mall :p[/QUOTE]

It's not as effective if it's something that blatantly attracts attention, like all-too-obvious cross-dressing. It's better if it's smaller acts that seem as though they may honestly be part of someone's character.

Next time you're in line somewhere (post office for instance), cut in front of someone.

[quote name='Ledhed']It's not as effective if it's something that blatantly attracts attention, like all-too-obvious cross-dressing. It's better if it's smaller acts that seem as though they may honestly be part of someone's character.

Next time you're in line somewhere (post office for instance), cut in front of someone.[/QUOTE]

Well, if he wanted something more subtle he could pay in pennies for a meal at a fastfood place during lunchtime when the lines are long ... although depending on where he goes to eat he may not make out alive :)

Instead of holding the door for someone he should try to close it on the person behind him and just walk away.

This is a very good exercise. One day I had what an alcoholic would call "a moment of clarity", and I decided to live the next 24 hours as if everything I "knew" was completely wrong and opposite of what it should be. I learned a great deal that day.

Go into a police station with a pellet gun and yell everyone on the floor! LOL that'd be a funny prank and the police would laugh so hard!

Invade someone's personal space. Just get in line somewhere and be really close to the person in front of you. Or browsing a store you can stand very close to someone.

[quote name='CaoPi']lol I'm taking this sociolgy class so we gotta study how people act. Our professor gives us this assignment to go into the public and violate a folkway(norm) and write up a 3 page paper for it. Obiviously we can't do anything that causes emotional harm to others or break any laws! any ideas? ;)[/QUOTE]

Creepy, when I took intro to soc I had the same exact assignment, even down to the 3 page part, and the part about not breaking laws. For mine, a friend of mine came to visit me and I had my "boyfriend" over when he arrived and told him I was gay.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Burp, fart, or pick your nose in public.

Shit on the sidewalk.[/QUOTE]

Like Tyrone Biggums!!

[quote name='Brak']Go to a coffee house where teens and young adults hang out and yell "I support Bush!"[/QUOTE]

i like this one the best!

[quote name='Brak']Go to a coffee house where teens and young adults hang out and yell "I support Bush!"[/QUOTE]

the problems is most of the guys, and some of the girls, would agree.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']the problems is most of the guys, and some of the girls, would agree.[/QUOTE]

Depends if he lives in the Bible Belt or not :p

I swear those people hang on his every word no matter what comes out of his mouth.

OK, I'll be the dick - I can't believe this is real, actual, college-level homework. Sounds like a real toughie... :roll: I hope this is an elective or something and not your major or else you are going to get out in the real world and realize taking the easy way out in college so you could have Fridays and Mondays off and get drunk 6 nights a week instead of the standard 5 wasn't such a good idea. It's got to be the biggest disservice that a college can do to a student by offering this as a major and pretending it is actually useful to anyone... well that and Communications, History and Psychology...

I guess if you have aspirations of going to law school (big mistake) or getting an MBA (best choice) or something after you graduate then I can understand it but I sure as hell would think up a plan quick if you are planning on relying solely on your BA.

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I'll be the dick - I can't believe this is real, actual, college-level homework. Sounds like a real toughie... :roll: I hope this is an elective or something and not your major or else you are going to get out in the real world and realize taking the easy way out in college so you could have Fridays and Mondays off and get drunk 6 nights a week instead of the standard 5 wasn't such a good idea. It's got to be the biggest disservice that a college can do to a student by offering this as a major and pretending it is actually useful to anyone... well that and Communications, History and Psychology...

I guess if you have aspirations of going to law school (big mistake) or getting an MBA (best choice) or something after you graduate then I can understand it but I sure as hell would think up a plan quick if you are planning on relying solely on your BA.[/QUOTE]
Says the guy who shit his pants at work.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Says the guy who shit his pants at work.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: that's hilarious. and i'm working towards my ph. d. in history, so i naturally think it's a worth while occupation.

AND, this is my 1,000th post!!!!!!

you forgot to add "where he gets paid a shitload of money to sit in his own Manhattan office and has his own secretary because he studied his ass off in law school and didn't have a useless major in college."

Like you've never shit your pants before... and it was a shart moreso than a straight up shit... a miscalculation of force, if you will... it won't be the last time, I'm sure.

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I'll be the dick - I can't believe this is real, actual, college-level homework. Sounds like a real toughie... :roll: I hope this is an elective or something and not your major or else you are going to get out in the real world and realize taking the easy way out in college so you could have Fridays and Mondays off and get drunk 6 nights a week instead of the standard 5 wasn't such a good idea. It's got to be the biggest disservice that a college can do to a student by offering this as a major and pretending it is actually useful to anyone... well that and Communications, History and Psychology...

I guess if you have aspirations of going to law school (big mistake) or getting an MBA (best choice) or something after you graduate then I can understand it but I sure as hell would think up a plan quick if you are planning on relying solely on your BA.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm...... it's a sociology assignment. Ya know, so you can observe the effect altering your actions have on the other people around you.

And, besides, by suggesting that there is no value in communications and psychology, fields which have many, many jobs and uses (particularly psychology), is ridiculous.

you forgot Philosophy :roll:

In all seriousness, it's probably a gen ed requirement, at my college you had to pick 2 of 3 (intro to psychology,intro to socialogy, and intro to government and politic).

Walk with your hands in your pants, try holding a conversation with someone, only look as high in the sky as you can.

[quote name='guardian_owl']you forgot Philosophy :roll:

In all seriousness, it's probably a gen ed requirement, at my college you had to pick 2 of 3 (intro to psychology,intro to socialogy, and intro to government and politic).[/QUOTE]

oops, oh yeah, I meant Philosophy instead of Psychology (although I'm still iffy on that one but I suppose if you go on to get an MD there are plenty of important things you can do with that)...

Walk up to strangers on street and say "Hey, aren't you Richard Simmons?"

Or go into a crowded, quiet area, like the main reading area of a library, set something down on the table that makes a fair amount of noise when struke, then tab your fingers on it loudly while reading something. If someone comes over and asks you to stop tapping your fingers, act like you have no idea what they are talking about, then if they press the issue say something to the affect of "oh, I didn't even realize I was doing it." Wait for them to leave and resume reading, wait another 30 seconds to a minute then start slow tapping and eventually get it up to the previous level or higher loudness.

When together with a large group of friends start yawning fairly constantly so it spreads like wild fire.

[quote name='javeryh']oops, oh yeah, I meant Philosophy instead of Psychology (although I'm still iffy on that one but I suppose if you go on to get an MD there are plenty of important things you can do with that)...[/QUOTE]

I'm not defending the majors you listed because I sometimes feel the same way, but aren't you constantly talking about how miserable you are in your field of occupation?

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I'll be the dick - I can't believe this is real, actual, college-level homework.[/QUOTE]

I think it's awesome.

Creative thinking skills are at an all time low and the system has conditioned everyone into acting like a submissive robot. It's true - put a bunch of kids from the burbs in a room these days and tell them to play - they look at you like you're crazy because they are used to having their entire day planned for them, from school to soccer to piano lessons to whatever.

Social rituals should be used to lubricate the wheels of society, instead they are being used to break down the individual.

Giving students a freak out assignment is going to teach them a life lesson that's much more weird, wild, and important then learning that list of Popes from 1500-1800 or the color of quartz vs. feldspar. Memorization of fact lists and widely accepted theory is all well and good - but nothing beats that moment when you really get it and you truly begin to form a unique and genuine understanding of the subject matter.

I'm also a big fan of immersion techniques and the Socratic method in general.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']I'm not defending the majors you listed because I sometimes feel the same way, but aren't you constantly talking about how miserable you are in your field of occupation?[/QUOTE]

yeah, I don't have any answers but I do know what tends to not work in the real world from observation. I've seen plenty of people get Masters degrees in sociology and psychology who couldn't get work other than working in a call center somewhere or some other BS job. I mean, what could you hope to do for a career with a sociology degree? At the end of the day you have to put food on the table and I'm not suggesting that everyone should do something they hate just to make a lot of money (biggest mistake of my life) but there has to be at least some practicality to the major you choose. A sibling of mine has a sociology degree and bounced around from job to job until deciding to become an elementary school teacher - nothing wrong with it but it's rather low paying and you're not exactly setting the world on fire...

From where I sit (in the corporate world, albeit the legal side), the best thing to do in college is major in business (finance or accounting - marketing is another iffy one) and then go get an MBA. I think the amount of time at the office compared to the money you could make is just about perfect. I know I'd advise anyone thinking about law school to think long and hard about going through with it.

[quote name='camoor']I think it's awesome.

Creative thinking skills are at an all time low and the system has conditioned everyone into acting like a submissive robot. It's true - put a bunch of kids from the burbs in a room these days and tell them to play - they look at you like you're crazy because they are used to having their entire day planned for them, from school to soccer to piano lessons to whatever.

Social rituals should be used to lubricate the wheels of society, instead they are being used to break down the individual.

Giving students a freak out assignment is going to teach them a life lesson that's much more weird, wild, and important then learning that list of Popes from 1500-1800 or the color of quartz vs. feldspar. Memorization of fact lists and widely accepted theory is all well and good - but nothing beats that moment when you really get it and you truly begin to form a unique and genuine understanding of the subject matter.

I'm also a big fan of immersion techniques and the Socratic method in general.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you - my thoughts were from a practical "what am I going to do when I graduate" perspective. It's way more fun to learn like this and probably a lot more effective too. The best professors I had in law school taught purely by the socratic method. It's scary as hell because you could get called on at any second but all you have to do is pay attention in class and you learn all you need to know.

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I don't have any answers but I do know what tends to not work in the real world from observation. I've seen plenty of people get Masters degrees in sociology and psychology who couldn't get work other than working in a call center somewhere or some other BS job. I mean, what could you hope to do for a career with a sociology degree? At the end of the day you have to put food on the table and I'm not suggesting that everyone should do something they hate just to make a lot of money (biggest mistake of my life) but there has to be at least some practicality to the major you choose. A sibling of mine has a sociology degree and bounced around from job to job until deciding to become an elementary school teacher - nothing wrong with it but it's rather low paying and you're not exactly setting the world on fire...

From where I sit (in the corporate world, albeit the legal side), the best thing to do in college is major in business (finance or accounting - marketing is another iffy one) and then go get an MBA. I think the amount of time at the office compared to the money you could make is just about perfect. I know I'd advise anyone thinking about law school to think long and hard about going through with it.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Why waste 4+years of your life to go into some shitty major a la sociology. MBA ftw.

Please provide a link to this thread. I even have a likewise story to contribute.

Find a mostly-empty public place with communal seating... like the bench-tables at a library and some food courts, or a bus in the off-hours. Sit next to a person. If they move, follow and sit next to them again.

Get a photo of yourself. Stop people on the street, show them the photo, and ask them if they've seen this person. Deny it's you, and if they insist, walk away like they're nuts.

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I don't have any answers but I do know what tends to not work in the real world from observation. I've seen plenty of people get Masters degrees in sociology and psychology who couldn't get work other than working in a call center somewhere or some other BS job. I mean, what could you hope to do for a career with a sociology degree? At the end of the day you have to put food on the table and I'm not suggesting that everyone should do something they hate just to make a lot of money (biggest mistake of my life) but there has to be at least some practicality to the major you choose. A sibling of mine has a sociology degree and bounced around from job to job until deciding to become an elementary school teacher - nothing wrong with it but it's rather low paying and you're not exactly setting the world on fire...

From where I sit (in the corporate world, albeit the legal side), the best thing to do in college is major in business (finance or accounting - marketing is another iffy one) and then go get an MBA. I think the amount of time at the office compared to the money you could make is just about perfect. I know I'd advise anyone thinking about law school to think long and hard about going through with it.[/QUOTE]

Psychologists work in counseling, psychiatry, marketing, schools, hospitals etc., it's hard to find a place where psychology majors don't fit in somewhere. Sociologists often find work in marketing, I'm not sure what other careers are common for sociologists though. There's always the option of becoming a professor though, or working in a museum (well, maybe not sociology, but for other supposedly pointless majors, like history). It also depends on where your focus is within that major.

Though I don't see the point in a business major if you hate it. Sure, the money can be nice, but there are plenty of other fields that, by most accounts, are far more enjoyable and still produce enough to keep you middle class. I plan on taking a course in accounting just so I have some understanding of it, but that's about it.

Personally though I'm majoring in psychology and minoring in either sociology or history. I like history, and, at the school I'm currently at, all I have to do is take the intro course, and then 2 more courses and that qualifies as a minor there (I have 15 ap history credits which cover the rest).

[quote name='$hady']Go into a police station with a pellet gun and yell everyone on the floor! LOL that'd be a funny prank and the police would laugh so hard![/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='opportunity777']For some reason I read "narate" like "karate" ... must be late ... you mean narrate? :)

I think he should strap a piece of cardboard with the middle cut out and pretend he is watching TV like in Family Guy.[/QUOTE]

I read it the same way. I was like, "Narate?" Is this some new kung-fu fad?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Psychologists work in counseling, psychiatry, marketing, schools, hospitals etc., it's hard to find a place where psychology majors don't fit in somewhere. Sociologists often find work in marketing, I'm not sure what other careers are common for sociologists though. There's always the option of becoming a professor though, or working in a museum (well, maybe not sociology, but for other supposedly pointless majors, like history). It also depends on where your focus is within that major.

Though I don't see the point in a business major if you hate it. Sure, the money can be nice, but there are plenty of other fields that, by most accounts, are far more enjoyable and still produce enough to keep you middle class. I plan on taking a course in accounting just so I have some understanding of it, but that's about it.

Personally though I'm majoring in psychology and minoring in either sociology or history. I like history, and, at the school I'm currently at, all I have to do is take the intro course, and then 2 more courses and that qualifies as a minor there (I have 15 ap history credits which cover the rest).[/QUOTE]

I agree that ppl should take a major in what they want... although I myself am a rare contradiction in that my business (real estate) has nothing to do with my degree (computer information systems). But I think I'm more the exception than the rule. People need to learn viable skills in their future profession and if they're not willing to take chances (like I am) then they're better served with a degree in the field they soon hope to be in. That said, I do think that the current educational system from everything past elementary is teaching kids how to be drones not leaders. Education has devolved into the middle ages where everyone is not taught the value of empirical research and curiosity and rather taught repetitive tasks that will be socially valuable but ultimately useless in terms of the advancement of civilization.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world:
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to
himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- Robert Heinlein

Thank goodness, I'm unreasonable most of the time.:lol:

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Get a photo of yourself. Stop people on the street, show them the photo, and ask them if they've seen this person. Deny it's you, and if they insist, walk away like they're nuts.[/QUOTE]

I love this one! Sounds like something to try just for fun :applause:

bread's done
Back