Photo
- - - - -

How do you keep track of your game collection?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 secretvampire

secretvampire

Call me Baron von Marlon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

I use IGN and like it since it has a simple, clean interface and display. Gametz has some nice options, but I think the interface and layout is way too cluttered.

#32 rabidmonkeys

rabidmonkeys

Been there. Played that.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

IGN for awhile for games, but I've recently switched since I have so many dvds and cds, plus there is no where to catalog strategy guides. So I switched to a CueCat and MediaMan. Media man is free and uses the amazon DB for everything from CDs and DVDs to books and games, PC too. It also includes screenshots of most games and they have more rare variations then IGN does.

I used guzzlefish forever for CDS and DVDS but they suck ass so that lead me to MediaMan.

I grabbed a hacked CueCat on ebay for $12 including shipping, so I can just scan the barcodes on the back of the item and it goes straight in. Its great for folks who have larger collections. Plus you can export to CSV, TXT, or XLS. Then from there you can do anything.

www.imediaman.com
Xbox Live GamerTag: HCG Paco

#33 mcgavin27

mcgavin27

twomanjobs.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:13 PM

i use gamespot.

logo.png

#34 Professor Oreo

Professor Oreo

I paint pretty pictures

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

Doesn't anyone just put their games on a shelf and look at them? I have over 100 games and well over 400 cds and I have never rebought anything. Why a spreadsheet?

Insurance purposes. It's a pretty good idea to get renter's insurance and make a detailed list and take pictures of everything you have that's of any value. Keep the list and photos somewhere safe (safety deposit box, other family member's house, etc.) Renters' insurance is way too cheap not to have have it (only costs about $300/year) and most policies will cover up to $45,000 worth of replacement value.

#35 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

IGN for awhile for games, but I've recently switched since I have so many dvds and cds, plus there is no where to catalog strategy guides. So I switched to a CueCat and MediaMan. Media man is free and uses the amazon DB for everything from CDs and DVDs to books and games, PC too. It also includes screenshots of most games and they have more rare variations then IGN does.

I used guzzlefish forever for CDS and DVDS but they suck ass so that lead me to MediaMan.

I grabbed a hacked CueCat on ebay for $12 including shipping, so I can just scan the barcodes on the back of the item and it goes straight in. Its great for folks who have larger collections. Plus you can export to CSV, TXT, or XLS. Then from there you can do anything.

www.imediaman.com

For DVD's you should check out DVD Spot. There's a lot you for with it, like keeping track of how much you paid for it, where you got it, when you watched it, rate them, write reviews, and there's even stats that let you know what actors appear the most in your DVD's and all that kind of stuff. It takes a little time to get your collection up since you need UPC's to find the specific DVD you have, but it's worth it to me. Mine is in my sig if you want to see how it looks.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#36 onikage

onikage

鬼の影

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:39 PM

Up to this point I only keep track of my SNES collection(408 games) in an excel file. At some point I may decide to catalog everything else, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

#37 argyle

argyle

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

IGN, but I wish they worked more like DVD Afficionado. I like DVD-A's way of adding multiple titles at once, as well as the built-in cover art (tho load times take a hit when your collection gets big).
Posted Image

#38 mookiemeister

mookiemeister

Super Cool Bum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:02 PM

I use IGN. I also use guzzlefish.com, but its database miss some titles.
"Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you - if you don't play, you can't win." - Robert Heinlein

Gameboy Advance SP Cobolt and Pearl Blue + e-reader
GameCube Indigo + GameBoy Player + Wavebird
Nintendo DS Gold
My Games || My DVDs

#39 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:56 PM

I use IGN. I'm not anal about my games or their condition or anything, and I'm not a collecotr, so I just use it to keep track of what I have. I just use the comments if it's disc only or has a guide.

If they added a DVD database, that would be awesome.

#40 erehwon

erehwon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:16 AM

I use IGN, but I might switch over to the one at digital press once that is back up. I'm taking a database class right now, so I might make my own database of all my games.

#41 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:24 AM

Primarily IGN. Gamespot is nice but they didn't have some of my games listed.

BTW, your IGN collection will also show up on gamestats.com (with higher estimated values for some reason).

Guzzlefish bit off WAY more than they could chew. They are useless.

Posted Image

It is illegal to assault the internet. - Xi Yanchun

click for my list ---> Posted Image RPGS added!

#42 Sean Price

Sean Price

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

so 7 years later..

1. Has anyone found an ideal way to log your games? Or a website?

2. Some of you mentioned spreadsheets, FOR those of us less technical would YOU mind sharing your spreadsheets?

3. Someone mentioned a hacked Cuecat scanner? I like that idea, has anyone explored this?

Forgive me as you can see, I dont' get on the Internet much but I hope to get internet access at the crib soon and I hope that changes!!

let me know

oNe

#43 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

We have a decent game collection tool here on CAG. But given that Android and iOS didn't exist 7 years ago, it's probably best to mention that. There are apps that you can use to track your game (or book or music etc) collection. Some even have bar code scanning to enter games.

#44 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

We have a decent game collection tool here on CAG. But given that Android and iOS didn't exist 7 years ago, it's probably best to mention that. There are apps that you can use to track your game (or book or music etc) collection. Some even have bar code scanning to enter games.

What do feel is the best IOS one?

#45 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

I actually have a notepad document that I have separated by platforms (360, DS,PC, etc). I have them numbered in the order that I bought them in, with the exception of games from the same series which I put together.

#46 200STM

200STM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

www.VGCollect.com there is also an app that syncs with this website for free on the andriod

Edited by 200STM, 06 November 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#47 Sean Price

Sean Price

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

so 7 years later..

2. Some of you mentioned spreadsheets, FOR those of us less technical would YOU mind sharing your spreadsheets?

oNe

THIS!! come on my fellow CAG's, help a non MS OFFice guy out..

thanks

oNe

#48 dumlaox

dumlaox

Eat, Work, Game, Sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I'll have to check out VGCollector's app later on. Didn't realize I had an account there until this morning when I tried to create one and they said it had existed already.

Personally, I'm using www.backloggery.com. Not as fancy looking but I can easily keep track of what I have there, not to mention keep track of games I've beaten and such. Only caveat is that all of this is manual so if you're using it to keep track of achievements and trophies... good luck.

14610.png

#49 ZerotypeX

ZerotypeX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

https://docs.google....UC1aQUc0ZFdZNEE

Here's the format I use. Should be pretty self explanatory, but if anyone has questions, lemme know.

I have another section where if one should decide to sell/trade the game, you can see if there was a loss or gain. It's not in this version that I put up though
Currently Playing:
with myself

Posted Image

#50 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

I use my shelves.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#51 Predator Ranger

Predator Ranger

Admiral Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

I splurged and bought the Collectorz packs - - games, movies, and comics. I've been very happy with them, especially since I got a bar code scanner.

#52 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

I don't. It keeps track of me.

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/

#53 TopSpot123

TopSpot123

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

I've been using http://vgcollect.com. They are a smaller, community driven database site. The game database is all user maintained, so there are advantages and disadvantages. Even though they are small and not even two years old yet, they are steadily improving. They have a mobile site, android app, and exporting of your collection to excel. And best of all, it's all free. Perfect for a CAG like me.
Posted Image

#54 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Excel sheet, uploaded to Dropbox, so when I am away from house I know if I have it

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#55 HyperG

HyperG

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

I found an android app that was put up sometime the middle of last month called "Backlogging" . It let's you add your games, view your backlog, and it has a "choose a game for me" option if you are indecisive wanting to pick a game to play. I haven't had time to play anything lately since I got the app, so can't report anything else it does except those few things.

#56 Neo Queen Serenity

Neo Queen Serenity

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

Access database and Mediaman.