Should i buy the 9800 Pro or 9600xt graphics cards?

basketkase543

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Is it worth paying $50 more for the 9800 over the 9600xt? What i don't understand is why is the 9800 Pro more expensive when it seems to have a lower core speed (380 MHZ for the 9800 Provs. 500 MHZ for the 9600xt). So this is my dilemma. which should i buy? At newegg the prices are:

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card $209
ASUS ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card $167

Which should i go for?

Go for the 9800 Pro. All around better card and can be overclocked more then the 9600 if core speed is that big of a deal.

I would get the 9600XT just for the money, if you're not OCing, you won't notice much of a difference either way, plus if you buy retail, you should be getting the free HL2.

i'd go with the 9800 pro if your machine can handle it.

my power supply was too small and my POS computer wasn't worth a new one, so i went with a 9600xt from newegg.com.

i love it, runs all my games very well

What do you mean by power supply? From the pc or from my room? Sorry if this is a dumb question, i've never changed my videocard before.

powersupply meaning the power that is used throughout ur pc. This is inside the pc and has a fan on the back. Usualy a pc has a 300-500 watt psu

[quote name='BasketCase1080']powersupply meaning the power that is used throughout ur pc. This is inside the pc and has a fan on the back. Usualy a pc has a 300-500 watt psu[/quote]

Thanks BasketCase. I bought my pc late last year so i assume that it should be ok with the powersupply for the 9800 pro.

Anybody else wanna make a vote for the 9800 pro or the 9600xt?

considering you don't know what power supply you have(no offense) then you wouldn't over clock it, I suggest the 9600 XT cuz u get the half life 2 and around same specs if you don;t OC it

[quote name='magictoilet']considering you don't know what power supply you have(no offense) then you wouldn't over clock it, I suggest the 9600 XT cuz u get the half life 2 and around same specs if you don;t OC it[/quote]

No offense taken. The only thing is that just because i don't know how to overclock it now doesn't mean that i won't learn how to. I barely found out about it recently and it has gotten me interested in learning about it. I'm a pretty fast learner and EVERYONE has to start from ground zero at some point. Do think its possible to learn to utilize the 9800 pro or should i still just stick with the 9600xt?

You should absolutely go for the 9800 Pro. #1, it is only 50.00 more and is much much faster. Oh, some on this post have said there difference is negligable. This is not so. The 9800 Pro has twice the number of pipelines on it's graphics processor. I believe it also supports more advanced pixel shaders, like 2.0. #2, With Half Life 2, Doom 3 and several other graphics intense programs on the near horizon. Not going with the 9800 Pro would probably cost you down the line. The 9600XT will be adequate, but if you want to go high resolution with AA and AF filtering on for all the graphic splendor you can handle..go for the 9800 Pro.

Just my .02 cents, but this is not the first time this question has been asked, and if you check out tomshardware and some other sites, look up archived graphic card reviews to see comparisons. The 9800 Pro has much more headroom. Do not go for the 9800 SE, it's a nerfed version of the Pro.

GS

Well I have the 9800 and I love it.

1. Unfortunately, the NEWER packaged 9600XT DO NOT have the Half-life 2 coupon in it.

2. The 9800Pro has 8 pixel pipelines where as the 9600XT has only 4 pixel pipelines for rendering.
I also believe (it might depend on the specific card) but the 9600XTs have less of a memory bus. 128-bit (vs. 256-bit in 9800Pro)

Simplified, this means that 9800 Pro usually equals better numbers. If you're a casual gamer, then I'd suggest the 9600XT and also if you computer power supply can't handle the 9800Pro.

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='BasketCase1080']powersupply meaning the power that is used throughout ur pc. This is inside the pc and has a fan on the back. Usualy a pc has a 300-500 watt psu[/quote]

Thanks BasketCase. I bought my pc late last year so i assume that it should be ok with the powersupply for the 9800 pro.

Anybody else wanna make a vote for the 9800 pro or the 9600xt?[/quote]

Many times vendors skimp on the power supply, giving the bare minimum to support the setup. You might wan to check just to make sure.

[quote name='egonpax']Well I have the 9800 and I love it.

1. Unfortunately, the NEWER packaged 9600XT DO NOT have the Half-life 2 coupon in it.

2. The 9800Pro has 8 pixel pipelines where as the 9600XT has only 4 pixel pipelines for rendering.
I also believe (it might depend on the specific card) but the 9600XTs have less of a memory bus. 128-bit (vs. 256-bit in 9800Pro)

Simplified, this means that 9800 Pro usually equals better numbers. If you're a casual gamer, then I'd suggest the 9600XT and also if you computer power supply can't handle the 9800Pro.[/quote]

all of the above is true. however, I got a 9600XT a few months back and i love it. i have had no problems at all, and you dont even have to hook it up to your power supply, so there are no worries there. ive been able to install and run on high settings every game i got my hands on, and i got free half life 2 when i got it. nothing against the 9800, ive never seen one in action, but i can tell you that if you get the 9600XT, you will not be dissapointed.

I say get the GeForce 6800 when it comes out in a couple of weeks. But then again, I only skimmed this thread and say that just to be contrary.

I would never buy an Nvidia card after their debacle line of Fx cards. I currently own the 9800 pro 128 meg version and I have been very impressed.

I'd go with the 9800XT. Sure it's $50 more, but it's definately worth it. It's a beast and I love playing games like Painkiller at 1600x1200 and having it run smooth.

Though I wouldn't get it if your powersupply is under 500 watts.

No one else has mentioned this, but you actually have to plug in a power cord from the power supply into the 9800 pro just to get it to work.

I have a 9600 and I couldnt be happier...It runs everything perfectly with no slowdowns (i have a dual 2ghz G5) I was thinking about getting the 9800pro but I decided against it since PC gaming isnt much of a thing for me...Plus I run my graphics card to the max when I play games and it looks amazing...I havent seen much of what a 9800pro can do but with the new Unreal 3.0 engine coming sometime soon (year or 2) I would go with the top one...that engine looks AMAZING...and I can garuntee you need a top-notch graphics card to run it...Id go with the 9800...but you could just buy a game and a 9600 and have good ol fun!

[quote name='SupremeNumNuts']I believe the program Aida32 will tell you everything about you computer.[/quote]

I got the program and it's not telling me how big my power supply is. Anybody know how i can find out? I'm leaning towards the 9800 pro but i don't know if my comp can support it.

[quote name='PsyClerk']I say get the GeForce 6800 when it comes out in a couple of weeks. But then again, I only skimmed this thread and say that just to be contrary.[/quote]

I don't think he plans on dropping $400 on a new card.

Find out what kind of power supply you have. Make sure you have at least 350, if you can afford it, get a 420. My pc had trouble handling my 9600 Pro until I got a 420.

[quote name='EazySCT']

No one else has mentioned this, but you actually have to plug in a power cord from the power supply into the 9800 pro just to get it to work.[/quote]

Most of the 9800 cards are like that, from 9800SE up.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='PsyClerk']I say get the GeForce 6800 when it comes out in a couple of weeks. But then again, I only skimmed this thread and say that just to be contrary.[/quote]

I don't think he plans on dropping $400 on a new card.

Find out what kind of power supply you have. Make sure you have at least 350, if you can afford it, get a 420. My pc had trouble handling my 9600 Pro until I got a 420.[/quote]

How did you find out your power supply?

if you can hold off a little longer i have a little spy saying that when the X800 hits that the 256 pro XT is going to take a price dive

meynerd

Open your case and find the red, yellow, and black wires running from a big box near the top of your case. The voltage should be printed somewhere on that box.

Can a Radeon 9800 pro handle a 300watt generic power supply? I have extra power supply plugs in my PSU. If not, I have an extra 400watt somewhere and I only use a DVD rom drive, one HDD, mobo and a future DVD-R burner hooked up on my current PSU. I am thiinking about getting a new video card (my is Radeon 7000) so I can beta test The Matrix Online (have 1.2ghz Tbird, 256mb PC2100). I only run at 800x600 with my games due to the refresh rate and ghosting of my Dell Sony Trinitron 21" monitor.

[quote name='Matarick']Can a Radeon 9800 pro handle a 300watt generic power supply? I have extra power supply plugs in my PSU. If not, I have an extra 400watt somewhere and I only use a DVD rom drive, one HDD, mobo and a future DVD-R burner hooked up on my current PSU. I am thiinking about getting a new video card (my is Radeon 7000) so I can beta test The Matrix Online (have 1.2ghz Tbird, 256mb PC2100). I only run at 800x600 with my games due to the refresh rate and ghosting of my Dell Sony Trinitron 21" monitor.[/quote]

Most liekly not. The card wont get good power from a genereic Deer or other brand power supply the voltages are most likely not stable etc.

hit up neweg and look into thermaltakes power supplies theya re pretty fairly priced and good.

Also hit up PCmechanic and browse their sections for help.

[quote name='egonpax']Well I have the 9800 and I love it.

[/quote]
Do any of the cards have a Half Life 2 coupon anymore? That seemed to be a huge selling point in their ads, but I never see it anymore.
Also, is the 256 MB 9800 Pro much better then the 128 MB version?

Just unscrew your case using a normal screwdriver. There shouldn't be more then 8 screws. The power supply is usually towards the top of the case towards the back. It is big and shiny and has a ton of cables connected to it. There should be a white sticker on it telling you the specifications. My 400W works fine with a 9800 Pro.
As for the 256 MB version, it would definately be nice, but I'm assuming that the price difference would be somewhat unreasonable.

just noticed that the 9600XT is on sale at CC for $150 after rebate this week, if that may sway your decision in any way.

CompUSA this week in the weekly ad has the Radeon All-In-Wonder 9600XT Video Card, with 8x AGP, 128MB DDR for $229.99 after a $50 Price Drop and extra $20 instant savings. Also if Circuit City carries this, try to go for a price match, save an additional 10%.

To cash in, you have to make sure your local CompUSA has it in stock first.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=311199&pfp=BROWSE

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.j...okmark=bookmark_0&oid=88033&catoid=-10266&m=0

Use code 6_13_10off
Offer good 6/13/2004 to 6/19/2004 at compusa.com only.
10% off your highest item in your shopping cart at CompUSA.

* Courtesy of CheapyD :)

Think about it. :|

I think what you really need to ask yourself is if you are willing to save 50 dollars now for something that will be even more inferior down the road. "Think about it :|"

Hey peoples, sorry again about my ignorance but i tried looking for the amount of my power supply and i found this:

IMG_3331.jpg

So is my power supply a measly 250W?? I'm asking because i can't believe it would be that small considering most of you say it should be at LEAST 300W.
So if that is my power outage i am better off going for the 9600xt or else pay another $50 for a new power supply. What do you guys think?

Or maybe i should buy a new power supply. What do you guys think? Should i get a new power supply to be able to use the 9800 pro or should i just get a 9600xt?

Ouch, that is a weak power supply. Well, now I'd say you have two options again.
1. You want to upgrade your machine over time, and really like to play your games. Get a new supply + 9800.
2. You are satisfied with a good graphics card, and you like to play games but a performance difference isnt that big of a deal. You don't have a huge budget. Get the 9600XT.

To be honest, they are both great graphics cards, and I would normally recommend a 9800 Pro. However, that (no offense) horrible power supply may change my recommendation. If you are planning to, in the future, upgrade your PC more, then just get the power supply now because you will probably need it. Newer computer components coming out are more power hungry ;)

I think i've finally decided! Since i don't plan on doing much more upgrading, and my power supply sucks major ass (*bows head in shame*), i will probably just go for the 9600xt which, from what you've all said, is still pretty damn good. Thanks again for everyone's help.

bread's done
Back