St. Louis Deals

• Please log in to reply
1350 replies to this topic

#931 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

I got Reckoning at Best Buy yesterday, there were tons of copies on the shelves.
122445.png

#932 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks!

We're hitting a wall really. We can find smaller houses, but I really need something large. 4-5 br at least. Both of us work at home, so we need offices, etc. I'm kind of surprised at how much houses run out there to rent, compared to where I'm coming from now.

I wouldn't consider Ballwin and Manchester to be South County, it's more West County.

South County is normally viewed as South of 44 along Highway 270, until you hit Illinois. I would say that Crestwood/Affton/Mehlville/Oakville/Fenton is South County, though Arnold is in Jefferson County but it usually lumped into the South County area.

I'd personally look into Fenton and Arnold for houses, as there's lots of new construction out that way for houses that large in the 4-5br size.

270 is horrible during the early morning rush (5-9) and the afternoon rush (4-7) but other than that it's fine barring any type of accident.

I drive it five days a week and would say it's more 7AM - 9AM that's an issue than earlier, and 5PM - 6:30PM is more the issue than earlier in the afternoon rush. I've pretty much driven 270 northbound to work anytime from 2-3AM all the way to 10-11AM in the morning and it's pretty much good most of the time save the times I mention above.

The main clogs in traffic along 270 are from Gravois to Manchester northbound in the morning rush and 40 to Doughterry Ferry southbound in the afternoon rush. They're working to widen it with an additional lane in the next couple of years, so it should be less of a mess than it is currently. It's also been better than it was before they worked on Highway 40, when it was horribly bad prior to that timeframe.

Rest of the time, it's not been an issue.

#933 confuseousprime

confuseousprime

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Prices within STL county are going to be above 2k for a 4 or 5 br house. Most of the affluent 'burbs are in that area. If you are looking for a steal with houses I would suggest maybe looking over the river on the IL side. Places like Shrewsbury, Collinsville are closer to the base so they have lower prices on housing out there. You'll just want to make sure to check out the area before you commit because there are some really out of the way towns in that area too, and you'll want to avoid anything that gets too close to East Saint Louis.

The housing prices in that area are coming down right now, a lot of people in that area are out of a job due to the government layoffs on the base. It sucks for them but you might be able to get a deal out of it.

The downside if that you've got more of a 1/2 an hour drive to STL from that side rather than a 15-20 minute drive from the border towns on Saint Louis county. Also, traffic suuucks during rush hour, so coming into the city at around 7 in the morning is terrible and going out of the city at 4 - 5 PM is also equally bad.

#934 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'd personally look into Fenton and Arnold for houses, as there's lots of new construction out that way for houses that large in the 4-5br size.

I drive it five days a week and would say it's more 7AM - 9AM that's an issue than earlier, and 5PM - 6:30PM is more the issue than earlier in the afternoon rush. I've pretty much driven 270 northbound to work anytime from 2-3AM all the way to 10-11AM in the morning and it's pretty much good most of the time save the times I mention above.

The main clogs in traffic along 270 are from Gravois to Manchester northbound in the morning rush and 40 to Doughterry Ferry southbound in the afternoon rush. They're working to widen it with an additional lane in the next couple of years, so it should be less of a mess than it is currently. It's also been better than it was before they worked on Highway 40, when it was horribly bad prior to that timeframe.

Rest of the time, it's not been an issue.

Those two are definitely on my list now. Thanks!!!

Prices within STL county are going to be above 2k for a 4 or 5 br house. Most of the affluent 'burbs are in that area. If you are looking for a steal with houses I would suggest maybe looking over the river on the IL side. Places like Shrewsbury, Collinsville are closer to the base so they have lower prices on housing out there. You'll just want to make sure to check out the area before you commit because there are some really out of the way towns in that area too, and you'll want to avoid anything that gets too close to East Saint Louis.

The housing prices in that area are coming down right now, a lot of people in that area are out of a job due to the government layoffs on the base. It sucks for them but you might be able to get a deal out of it.

The downside if that you've got more of a 1/2 an hour drive to STL from that side rather than a 15-20 minute drive from the border towns on Saint Louis county. Also, traffic suuucks during rush hour, so coming into the city at around 7 in the morning is terrible and going out of the city at 4 - 5 PM is also equally bad.

We've considered Collinsville and O'Fallon over in IL. They're definitely still on my list along with other places.

I'm honestly kind of shocked at the prices around STL. I'm used to being able to get a 1500 sq foot house for $1000 in a good area...

#935 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

rental houses here are pretty cheap by me, but my house payment on mine is under 1k and its 1600 sq ft, split level house
122445.png

#936 confuseousprime

confuseousprime

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

I don't know what kind of shape your fiances are in but you might consider buying if you are planning to be in the area for a while. The market here isn't the greatest, I've seen prices go down since we've been here. Only problem if of course being stuck with it if you need to move.

#937 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Check out Realtor.com for prices. As confuseous says the prices have went down. I have seen at times it has went back up on buying homes but they seem to stay around the same price area for a long time. No place near the 20,000 or less for a 1500-2000 square feet like it was 3 or 4 years ago.
Posted Image

#938 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

rental houses here are pretty cheap by me, but my house payment on mine is under 1k and its 1600 sq ft, split level house

What location is this?

I don't know what kind of shape your fiances are in but you might consider buying if you are planning to be in the area for a while. The market here isn't the greatest, I've seen prices go down since we've been here. Only problem if of course being stuck with it if you need to move.

Finances are in great shape, but we're not buying another house right now. Keeping my current house as a rental. I don't want more debt.

#939 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

I live in Hazelwood MO North County maybe 5-6 miles from the airport. Basically its the subdivision before the Mills Mall
122445.png

#940 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:41 AM

The South County Best Buy has (or had, if they disappeared since I was there yesterday) two PS3 and two 360 Assassin's Creed Brotherhood CEs on a table at the front of the store.

Price on each is $49.99.

#941 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Do you guys have any thoughts on South City/Benton Park?

We're still all over the freaking map it seems. I'm leaning more towards Creve Coeur, Chesterfield, or Ballwin, but finding something large enough is proving difficult.

#942 loc0bob

loc0bob

10 Year CAGiversay April 2014!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Do you guys have any thoughts on South City/Benton Park?

We're still all over the freaking map it seems. I'm leaning more towards Creve Coeur, Chesterfield, or Ballwin, but finding something large enough is proving difficult.

I noticed in a earlier post you said Collinsville, Illinois was a choice you looked into. I just wanted to chime in and say that I currently live in Collinsville and it's a great little town. I worked in downtown St Louis for 9 years and it was only a 20 minute direct highway drive to the heart of downtown. I currently work in St Charles and it still is only 40 minutes to my job which isnt bad considering how far out it is. Plus housing usually tends to be cheaper on the Illinois side and you can get more for your money. I'm just the type of person who enjoys small town living while being close enough to the big city to gain all the perks that it has.

Although working in Missouri and living in Illinois gives your coworkers some room to crack jokes on you about it for some reason.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents and let you know that I love Illinois and give the area 2 thumbs up. Just try not to look in Cahokia, Belleville, or East St Louis. O'fallon and Collinsville are probably you best two closest options.
Currently Playing
PS3 - MLB 13 (Go Cubs!), PES 2014, Gran Turismo 6
PS4 - Killzone - SF (MP)
X360 - TW 2014
XB1 - Titanfall, Angry Birds : SW
Recently Beat - Wolfenstein - TNO, Killzone - SF, Fable Anniversary, Splinter Cell - BL, Resident Evil Revelations, MGS GZ

#943 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

yeah you are right about the cracking jokes, I hear guys do it everyday making fun of people who live in illinois and work in missouri. I dont get it.

Usually the one said most is about buying the cheaper Missouri gas and not paying property tax. Anyway I have friends that live in Edwardsville and I would consider moving there if I move again before I would move across the river to st charles or farther.
122445.png

#944 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

From what I gather, there's some "Where'd you go to high school" thing that gets thrown into conversations in St Louis? That should be interesting... Not sure if it's a joke, or what.

We're narrowing down places based on crimereports and just general areas. Hoping to come out to the area in two weeks to look at about 12 houses or so.

#945 confuseousprime

confuseousprime

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

From what I gather, there's some "Where'd you go to high school" thing that gets thrown into conversations in St Louis? That should be interesting... Not sure if it's a joke, or what.

We're narrowing down places based on crimereports and just general areas. Hoping to come out to the area in two weeks to look at about 12 houses or so.

It's not a joke. Expect this question all the time -- unless you are ethnic. It's really weird, I have to say, coming from outside of St. Louis.

#946 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yes where did you go to High School is always a question asked. people want to know if you went to public or Catholic schools for some reason. They automatically assume that if you went to such and such high school you know their 2nd cousin twice removed who graduated from there 10 years before you
122445.png

#947 rpghope18

rpghope18

Never enough RPG's!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Figured I would let people know the Best Buy on Manchester near Costco has the Assassin's Creed 3 preorder steelbooks out. Just got back from there, but I would guess most places will have them gone really quick so just giving a heads up for anyone interested.

RPGHope18.png

#948 loc0bob

loc0bob

10 Year CAGiversay April 2014!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Figured I would let people know the Best Buy on Manchester near Costco has the Assassin's Creed 3 preorder steelbooks out. Just got back from there, but I would guess most places will have them gone really quick so just giving a heads up for anyone interested.

The Best Buy in Fairview Heights, Illinois also has them out. I preordered last night (Monday Night) and got one. They also have a good amount of Batman : Arkham City (10+ on each system) and Mass Effect 2 (5 or so on each system) and Bulletstorm (10+ on each system). I picked up the last copy of Rage in the store though which was hidden behind Resistance 3, and the lady at the trade in counter was extra salty about it because she was "looking for a copy all day". Oh well, guess she sucks at easter egg hunting.
Currently Playing
PS3 - MLB 13 (Go Cubs!), PES 2014, Gran Turismo 6
PS4 - Killzone - SF (MP)
X360 - TW 2014
XB1 - Titanfall, Angry Birds : SW
Recently Beat - Wolfenstein - TNO, Killzone - SF, Fable Anniversary, Splinter Cell - BL, Resident Evil Revelations, MGS GZ

#949 DerClaw

DerClaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I have skimmed through and didn't see where you will be working -- location wise. If you are not tied to a specific area for your house, you should think about basing it on where you will be working as there are nice areas all over the place in St. Louis, so you can have the best of both worlds and live in a nice area and also not have a bad commute.

I live in South County at 270 and 55 and it was amazing for driving into work downtown traffic wise, then my office moved to Clayton and now I sit in traffic for 45 minutes every morning, even though I'm driving basically the same distance.

Depending on how big your family is, I have a small rental property that will be opening up on April 1, but it is in South City. It's not a bad neighborhood, but if you are from like rural idaho, it would look like a demilitarized warzone to you (plus it's pretty much too small for anything other than a couple + 1 kid unless you want to be all piled on top of each other -- and since you said you have 2K/month to spend you are probably looking for something a lot nicer).

2K/month is a lot for St. Louis, by the way, unless you are wanting to live in a really posh neighborhood.

#950 DerClaw

DerClaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Oh, and I posted it in the GS thread, but when I stopped at the GS outside of south county mall last night they said they are doing the 50% trade in at that store and the one inside the mall. I forgot to ask how long it was going on, though.

And finally, I stopped at VStock last night at the mall to see what I could get for BAC and it was 8:31 and the guy said that they stop doing trade ins at 8:30. I looked at my watch and said "uh... it's 8:31 and I have one game" What a dumb store.

#951 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

I have skimmed through and didn't see where you will be working -- location wise. If you are not tied to a specific area for your house, you should think about basing it on where you will be working as there are nice areas all over the place in St. Louis, so you can have the best of both worlds and live in a nice area and also not have a bad commute.

I live in South County at 270 and 55 and it was amazing for driving into work downtown traffic wise, then my office moved to Clayton and now I sit in traffic for 45 minutes every morning, even though I'm driving basically the same distance.

Depending on how big your family is, I have a small rental property that will be opening up on April 1, but it is in South City. It's not a bad neighborhood, but if you are from like rural idaho, it would look like a demilitarized warzone to you (plus it's pretty much too small for anything other than a couple + 1 kid unless you want to be all piled on top of each other -- and since you said you have 2K/month to spend you are probably looking for something a lot nicer).

2K/month is a lot for St. Louis, by the way, unless you are wanting to live in a really posh neighborhood.

We both work out of the home, but she has to travel around to local clinics. Location wise, I am narrowing it down to Ballwin, Chesterfield, Fenton, Creve Coeur, Maplewood, O'Fallon, and a few potential places in IL. We're looking at 4-5 bedroom homes, around 2800-3500 square feet or so. I'm finding that 2k is about average for something that size. I've seen many more than that actually...

Can anyone comment on how the traffic is around Six Flags when the park is open?

#952 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

We both work out of the home, but she has to travel around to local clinics. Location wise, I am narrowing it down to Ballwin, Chesterfield, Fenton, Creve Coeur, Maplewood, O'Fallon, and a few potential places in IL. We're looking at 4-5 bedroom homes, around 2800-3500 square feet or so. I'm finding that 2k is about average for something that size. I've seen many more than that actually...

Can anyone comment on how the traffic is around Six Flags when the park is open?

Maybe im clueless since it has been about 5/6 years since I lived in Chesterfield, but, 4/5 bedroom house in Chesterfield for 2K a month seems low. House in Green Trails which was a 3 bedroom and around 2000 sq. ft. (really close to Green Trails elementary on Portico) was damn close to that price a month. Interest rates have obviously changed since then.

#953 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Maybe im clueless since it has been about 5/6 years since I lived in Chesterfield, but, 4/5 bedroom house in Chesterfield for 2K a month seems low. House in Green Trails which was a 3 bedroom and around 2000 sq. ft. (really close to Green Trails elementary on Portico) was damn close to that price a month. Interest rates have obviously changed since then.

It is low. Anything we're finding for around 2k is either older, or further out west. The pickings are surprisingly slim for 2k around the area.

#954 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

I work in Eureka, and the traffic around six flags is only bad at the end of the night when they close. Most of their traffic just gets off on 44 and goes straight into the park slowly throughout the day.

And you PM'd me about Soulard Market - the place is awesome and I go there most Saturday's during the summer. You can get some great deals and there really isn't anything else like it in the city. There are a few other smaller farmer's markets, but that one is the biggest and the best. Way better than going to the grocery store and you can always find something interesting there. They are open year-round, but the stuff in the summer a lot better and cheaper. And they have bloody mary's to boot.

The old bridge used to be called the new bridge.

card.png

#955 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

I work in Eureka, and the traffic around six flags is only bad at the end of the night when they close. Most of their traffic just gets off on 44 and goes straight into the park slowly throughout the day.

And you PM'd me about Soulard Market - the place is awesome and I go there most Saturday's during the summer. You can get some great deals and there really isn't anything else like it in the city. There are a few other smaller farmer's markets, but that one is the biggest and the best. Way better than going to the grocery store and you can always find something interesting there. They are open year-round, but the stuff in the summer a lot better and cheaper. And they have bloody mary's to boot.

She's looking at a house today in Eureka. Vista Hills?

#956 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Yes - the Legends. That is a nice neighborhood.

The old bridge used to be called the new bridge.

card.png

#957 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

All the GS stores in South County Mall are alternating 50% extra credit and B2G1F on used to compete with VStock. They've been doing that for a month now.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#958 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

So here's a question for those that rent.

We're finding a lot of places, nice places, that have no refrigerators. Is this a midwest thing? I'm shocked that a house that runs 1800-2000 a month wouldn't have a refrigerator in it for the renter. Did your rental come with all appliances except a washer/dryer?

#959 DerClaw

DerClaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

She's looking at a house today in Eureka. Vista Hills?

I had a friend that lived in that area, it's pretty nice. They actually got divorced and were having trouble selling the house, I wonder if you might even be renting their old house.

All the GS stores in South County Mall are alternating 50% extra credit and B2G1F on used to compete with VStock. They've been doing that for a month now.

After VStock pulled the "it's 8:31 we stop trading at 8:30" business on me, I'm pretty sure they won't get any business from me unless it turns out that they are ridiculously awesome for some kind of TIV -- but since they also don't post their TIVs and don't give quotes over the phone, I'm not sure I'd ever screw with stopping in there anyway.

Thanks for the info on the SoCo GS -- I had not been in there in a while -- speaking of which, do you (or anyone) know the story about the dude that works at the one outside of the mall: the tall skinny guy with glasses. That dude seems to literally work there the entire time it is open. I've never gone in and he's not there. Go in at open, close, middle of the day, weekdays, weekends, whatever, he's there every. damn. day. all. freaking. day.

#960 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

Most likely he's the store manager. GS store managers are required to work a minimum of 45 hours per week at the store. I know the store manager of the GS inside the mall (below the food court) as he was ASM at the one I go to for a few months before being transferred and then later promoted.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png