Maine Thread

I lived in Falmouth for four years, I don't know if you know where it is but it was a nice little town.

[quote name='el bobo']I lived in Falmouth for four years, I don't know if you know where it is but it was a nice little town.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and you were pretty close to Portland too. I live in the L/A area, so it is a roughly 40 minute drive to anyplace remotely interesting.

maine sucks

and yeah, my grandmother lives in falmouth... so do like all my relatives it's ill there

this thread will most likely be a greetard/jaket show by the way

I visit stores in Lewiston/Auburn, even though I have yet to see anything resembling a deal in one of them.

I still live in Skowhegan, and unfortunately jlarlee is a little too old for me to have known.

Why do I have to drive for two hours to reach your town, Greetard? Why do you horde Big Lots and the other good stores?

[quote name='Blade']I still live in Skowhegan, and unfortunately jlarlee is a little too old for me to have known.

Why do I have to drive for two hours to reach your town, Greetard? Why do you horde Big Lots and the other good stores?[/QUOTE]

HA! i'm sorry... i thought you just called big lots a good store

I must be mistaken

next time your in auburn though, stop into gamestop and see if jake is working thats me

[quote name='Blade']I still live in Skowhegan, and unfortunately jlarlee is a little too old for me to have known.

Why do I have to drive for two hours to reach your town, Greetard? Why do you horde Big Lots and the other good stores?[/QUOTE]

My little brother Jordan graduated in 2004. I'm still slightly famous there due to my juvenile deliquency back in 94

[quote name='jlarlee']My little brother Jordan graduated in 2004. I'm still slightly famous there due to my juvenile deliquency back in 94[/QUOTE]

Really? I know Jordan Burdet, who is semi-famous for juvenile delinquency. He graduated with me, though. I never hung out with him because the truck-driving, beer-drinking, Carrhart-wearing redneck scheme isn't my clique. :lol:

Looked in the yearbook, and the only ones are Jordan Burdet and Jordan Smith, both of whom graduated in 2005.

[quote name='Blade']Really? I know Jordan Burdet, who is semi-famous for juvenile delinquency. He graduated with me, though. I never hung out with him because the truck-driving, beer-drinking, Carrhart-wearing redneck scheme isn't my clique. :lol:

Looked in the yearbook, and the only ones are Jordan Burdet and Jordan Smith, both of whom graduated in 2005.[/QUOTE]

Jordan Larlee and I think it was 2003 actually forgot hes a junior at farmington now

[quote name='Blade']Oh yeah, I knew him. He was pretty cool for a giant.[/QUOTE]
yea kind of humbling seeing your lil brother grow three inches taller than you. Luckily i got the looks advantage poor kid looks just like my dad

Haha, I never met your parents, but I played basketball with him in gym class once. Don't feel bad, he's almost a foot taller than me and I scored against him. ;-)

[quote name='Blade']Update: It just started SNOWING.[/QUOTE]

i got hit with hail on the way back from picking up GTA LCS

Have any of you guys ever encountered the incompetence that is a result of living in Maine? About an hour ago, I was in Bull Moose music trying to find some cool games. They had a special: Buy one specially marked 25% off and get up to five for 50% off each.

I wouldn't have a problem with that if it wasn't for the insanely high prices that they charge. Really guys, get with the program.

NHL '95 - $9! It's a SNES game!
WCW '98 - $13! It sucks, and it's a N64 game!
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter - $50!
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets GBA - $22!

What's worse is that these were all CART-ONLY.

[quote name='Blade']Have any of you guys ever encountered the incompetence that is a result of living in Maine? About an hour ago, I was in Bull Moose music trying to find some cool games. They had a special: Buy one specially marked 25% off and get up to five for 50% off each.

I wouldn't have a problem with that if it wasn't for the insanely high prices that they charge. Really guys, get with the program.

NHL '95 - $9! It's a SNES game!
WCW '98 - $13! It sucks, and it's a N64 game!
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter - $50!
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets GBA - $22!

What's worse is that these were all CART-ONLY.[/QUOTE]

the bull moose warehouse just outside of south portland is awesome i think

hey guys, another Mainer here...living in South Portland, scored some games on the cheap over at the KB at the Maine Mall today, thanks to their sweet clearance sale...

-matt

[quote name='Jaket']HA! i'm sorry... i thought you just called big lots a good store

I must be mistaken

next time your in auburn though, stop into gamestop and see if jake is working thats me[/QUOTE]

Hey, that's the Gamestop I hit! Are you guys doing the Trick or Treet Nintendogs promotion this weekend?

BTW, does anyone have any tips for places to get NES games cheap? I live in L/A, work in Portland (and hit Augusta on occassion as well).

Hey guys, I live in South Portland right now and I'm finishing up my last year at USM. I was at the Mall this week and hit BB and KB. Then I went to TRU to get some more games off of their B2G1F sale. All in all it's been a good week for me, but I think I may go back to Bull Moose Music (the one by the Maine Mall) and see if they have anything that isn't too expensive.

P.S. I've met Jake (StealthySeal) before in the EB in the mall, but he's the only CAG I've ever met. You guys should put yourselves on the new CAG map.

Hey, since you're going to USM, look for a short deep-tanned asian kid named Derik Lee. He's a friend of mine. Make sure you punch him.

[quote name='n8littlefield']BTW, does anyone have any tips for places to get NES games cheap? I live in L/A, work in Portland (and hit Augusta on occassion as well).[/QUOTE]

It pains me to say this (because I don't really want to give myself competition for the good stuff) but there's a flea market in Lisbon Falls when the weather's good (ie not now, but again in the spring) that can have video game deals. I got Rise of the Kasai there for $3 when it was brand new. Additionally, there's a large flea market down on Route 1 in Old Orchard Beach during the spring and summer that has cheap retro stuff. My NES cart collection is upward of 160 at this point, but I bought most of them at flea markets in northern Virginia. I guess what I'm trying to say is, hit up flea markets. There are some morons who try to squeeze out $5 for crap, but their good stuff is often at the same price.

[quote name='acolyte']It pains me to say this (because I don't really want to give myself competition for the good stuff) but there's a flea market in Lisbon Falls when the weather's good (ie not now, but again in the spring) that can have video game deals. I got Rise of the Kasai there for $3 when it was brand new. Additionally, there's a large flea market down on Route 1 in Old Orchard Beach during the spring and summer that has cheap retro stuff. My NES cart collection is upward of 160 at this point, but I bought most of them at flea markets in northern Virginia. I guess what I'm trying to say is, hit up flea markets. There are some morons who try to squeeze out $5 for crap, but their good stuff is often at the same price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I had been hitting a store in Augusta and a flea in Westbrook, but the flea in Westbrook really has clueless prices, most of which were too high in my mind. I've been to teh one in Lisbon Falls, too - it is a good one, I've found a couple of goodies there. Thanks for the input, I rarely go down to OOB, but maybe it would be a good trip next spring. My collection's only about 70ish, but my goal is a list of about 150 "must have" games.

Where do you go in Augusta, and do they sell TG-16/Saturn? There's a store in Lewiston I've been meaning to check out, but it's in a pain-in-the-ass location near Luiggi's so I figured it wasn't work the trouble.

[quote name='acolyte']Where do you go in Augusta, and do they sell TG-16/Saturn? There's a store in Lewiston I've been meaning to check out, but it's in a pain-in-the-ass location near Luiggi's so I figured it wasn't work the trouble.[/QUOTE]

The one in Augusta is Video Game Exchange on Water St. I don't think I've ever seen TG16/Saturn games there, but you could probably call them. I've seen oddball things like Jaguars there before, so it may be a case of they carry whatever people sell them.

Which store in Lewiston? I'm hitting downtown soon - there's at least 1 pawn shop I want to check, I could let you know. I think there's a variety/video shop down there called Dee's that looks like it may have old stuff too - but I've never ventured around there.

I've given up on the Lewiston pawn shops; the multi-floor one, for example, asks for more than EB/Gamestop does for everything which is pretty ridiculous. The store in Lewiston advertises itself as a CD/DVD/Video Game sales place. I'm not sure how to describe the location - it's NEAR the intersection of Main Street and Sabattus Street in Lewiston, kitty-corner to Luiggi's, in between Central Maine Medical Center and St. Mary's Hospital.

Edit: Looking at Google Maps, I'm going to say it IS on the corner of College and Sabattus/126. I think.

Hey nards, I'm in Edgecomb. I usually hit up augusta but there is a game zone in bath that usually has some good bargain bin deals.

I'd like to point out that there's a shop in Fairfield (take the interstate from Augusta to Waterville-Fairfield exit) called Bargains R Us.

The guy there sells lots of games, PS2 for $10 and anything else for $5. He had two copies of God of War, and a few longbox PSX games. I picked up God of War and didn't see anything else I liked.

Also, there's a flea market in Norridgewalk that has games now and then. I got some Genesis games for free, but I don't own a Genesis...

[quote name='Blade']I'd like to point out that there's a shop in Fairfield (take the interstate from Augusta to Waterville-Fairfield exit) called Bargains R Us.

The guy there sells lots of games, PS2 for $10 and anything else for $5. He had two copies of God of War, and a few longbox PSX games. I picked up God of War and didn't see anything else I liked.

Also, there's a flea market in Norridgewalk that has games now and then. I got some Genesis games for free, but I don't own a Genesis...[/QUOTE]

Norridgewock :D can't have you misspelling my home town. That flea market didn't have crap when I visited this summer.

[quote name='jlarlee']Norridgewock :D can't have you misspelling my home town. That flea market didn't have crap when I visited this summer.[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry, I should know how to spell it since it's like ten miles away from where I live...

Yeah, they usually don't, and the only time I went was when I found those games. Did you notice that man/woman combination? Haha.

[quote name='Blade']Oh, sorry, I should know how to spell it since it's like ten miles away from where I live...

Yeah, they usually don't, and the only time I went was when I found those games. Did you notice that man/woman combination? Haha.[/QUOTE]
yea I tried not to look too close to avoid nightmares

There's a flea market in Westbrook that generally has good retro stuff - problem is her prices can be unreasonable with that typical "I know what these are worth online" crap. I still found some good stuff, just paid more than I would have liked to. I hate the fact that ebay makes people think that something being old instantly makes it worth a ton of money. Oh well, we're only 5 or 6 months from yard sale season :) !

I really h8 people that, when you leave an add in Uncle Henry's requesting old video games systems (such as the Sega Saturn), leave a message claiming to play the system everyday yet has to have his mother/sister/girlfriend read him the game names.

Then he claims that what I offer isn't good enough because the console "really means a lot" to him. Hey buddy, I know every game I own. You had three games on a console that came out 13 years ago. I think you'd get to know them.

[quote name='Drico']I'm a full time Mainer. I live in Bangor.

Tell me something good. ;)[/QUOTE]

I have a cousin who lives there. His name is George Girodet he either graduated in 98 or 99

[quote name='Drico']I'm a full time Mainer. I live in Bangor.

Tell me something good. ;)[/QUOTE]

I got some good news - my state tax refund hit my account today and Gamestop is still running buy 2 get 1 free tomorrow. Guess where I'm going? I'd go tonight but I got Pirates tickets free at work so we're headed to the "big city".

Hey - I'm shopping for a laptop for the wife. Anywhere in Portland/Lewiston/Augusta I should consider checking beyond the usual suspects of CC/BB/Staples/Officemax/Officedepot?

[quote name='n8littlefield']Hey - I'm shopping for a laptop for the wife. Anywhere in Portland/Lewiston/Augusta I should consider checking beyond the usual suspects of CC/BB/Staples/Officemax/Officedepot?[/QUOTE]

only place i can maybe think of is mardens... unfortunatly they are hit or miss with prices and stock

theres a good chance you will find a great deal on what you are looking for. But theres a better chance they won't have what you need in stock.

[quote name='Jaket']only place i can maybe think of is mardens... unfortunatly they are hit or miss with prices and stock

theres a good chance you will find a great deal on what you are looking for. But theres a better chance they won't have what you need in stock.[/QUOTE]

There is (or was) an indie game store in downtown Augusta that sells a lot of retro stuff. I picked up Sonic CD from them and could have picked up Lunar for SEGA CD for like $25. I plan on hitting them up again this summer.

You're talking about Video Game Exchange.

By the way here's their info. if people are swinging by Augusta, ME:

Video Game Exchange
180 Water St
Augusta, ME 04330-4614
(207) 622-8857

That's their address and phone number. I've called them before and have saved myself trips there for games that I wanted and was wondering if they still carried. I've also been able to call them ahead of time and they've held stuff behind the counter for me. All in all, this place is great...it's also where I found my first like new copy of Suikoden II (complete) for around $40. :)

That's where I'm headed on Sunday. I've bought quite a few games there. They carry retro back to the NES, but don't usually have anything too oddball (mostly NES/SNES/Genesis) - I've seen a Jaguar there once though. It's a nice store, prices are really reasonable.

Guitar Hero In stock at EB Games in Augusta. Thay have quite a few but they said they are still flying off the shelves.

[quote name='TheGame']Guitar Hero In stock at EB Games in Augusta. Thay have quite a few but they said they are still flying off the shelves.[/quote]

The short girl that works there is hot. ;)

They must be reshipping Guitar Hero. The EB in the Maine Mall this weekend had at least 20 copies. I got my copy at Bullmoose in Lewiston, they had quite a few.

bread's done
Back