CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

• Please log in to reply
6632 replies to this topic

#5071 runscottie

runscottie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

Hey guys, I'm a long time CAGcast listener, love the show.

My question is: In regards to Playstation Move and Kinect and how successful they may or not turn out to be, have you considered the fact that the PS3 has a solid Japanese audience whereas the Xbox360 does not? Do you think that this might end up giving the Move an edge up over Kinect?

#5072 xpag406

xpag406

Nothing to see here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hey Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck:
This is my 1st time writing a CagBag question. I've been a Listener since Episode 1. Thanks for doing such an awesome show!

Ok I guess I'll be the one to ask this: What are your thoughts on Microsoft's Decision to raise Xbox Live Gold Subscriptions to $60 a year?

Thanks alot.

I was Jill Valentine and I summoned a Zombie. Then I summoned a Raven, which flew down and hit the zombie in the back of the head, knocking it over. But the zombie fell forward, right at the feet of my opponent and it quickly grabbed their legs and started munching.

It's like a retarded combo!

#5073 sinewav

sinewav

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

This will likely be a hot topic by the next show but just in case I wanted to get your thoughts on the recent XBox Live subscription price increases in the Americas (US, Canada, Mexico) and UK. Personally I see this as a dick move given the current world economy and if anything would have expected prices to decrease from pressure from PSN.

I think it's clear the reasons why they did it (Reach, Black Ops, ESPN) but I think this strategy will backfire for them especially when more games start charging used buyers for access codes. Do you agree and if so are you storm the castle with pitchforks mad, storm the castle with harsh language mad, or just mildly agitated? Thank you.

#5074 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:44 AM

Regarding the XBL Price hike

I'm sure you guys are going to bring up the 'don't pay full price get it discounted anyway' argument and while it's not a justification i can co-sign on What about taking it from a different angle? How do you think this situation would play out if Silver members got a gimped version of online play. They pay higher prices for stuff (aka raise prices and give Gold Members say 10% off), they don't get voice chat, none of the extra features, but they can text and they can play online. If they gave Silver's this gimp online play do you think anyone would care if Gold was priced even at say $70.

and how likely is it that they do another price hike in a few years and they actually do this.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#5075 Coupled

Coupled

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:40 AM

Heya Cagcrew

Do any of you happen to know if un-used 12month live cards will still work after the price hike? Or will it be kind of like how the us post office operates, in where the "First Class" stamp will no longer pay for first class postage after a price increase?

Thanks

#5076 Coupled

Coupled

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

I know this may be a little pre-mature, but what games are the three of you most looking forward to this holiday season, and what are your opinions on the games I mentioned below? (Jan-Feb count in my book, as it just extends the great gaming season)

Myself, I can't seem to get excited about Halo Reach or the next Call of Duty, but I am looking forward to, (not necessarily in this order):
1. Donkey Kong Country Returns
2. Castlevania - Lord of Shadows
3. Deadspace 2
4. Fallout 3, (maybe?)
5. Force Unleashed 2

Thanks a bunch

#5077 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

Do any of you happen to know if un-used 12month live cards will still work after the price hike? Or will it be kind of like how the us post office operates, in where the "First Class" stamp will no longer pay for first class postage after a price increase?

They sell them by duration not price. you dont buy $50 worth of XBL you buy a year's worth. The code doesn't add $50 to your account. it adds 12 months. no matter how much you paid. A better analogy than stamps are those prepaid envelopes*. You buy those at say $1 and you can drop them off postage already paid for. If the post office raises postage by 10cents next week those old envelopes still work. Plus as everyone points out they're stackable. Unless you plan on leaving gaming for 2 years and then coming back there's no reason why you shouldn't just apply them right now.

*In this case I'm talking about single postage paid envelopes. they stamp them with a date and all that jazz. The pre-paid envelopes you get from junk mail those are different. It's my understanding they just add up the postage and send you a bill. Which is why it's fun to stuff them with their own junk mail and send them back.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#5078 Cigarl

Cigarl

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck,

I've enjoyed the show for a number of years and appreciate your efforts in getting one out each week. I'm not sure what the analysts are thinking when they speculate on the sales of project sh*tbox. Around 6 weeks ago I was at Mall of America (the largest mall in the country) and they had a demo set up for Kinect. The set up looked like something from Disney with ropes set up to feed the crowd through. There was even a sign that stated your wait from that point was 15 minutes. There was no line and we could have walked right up to try it. I asked my family if they wanted to check it out and both my bride and kids declined. I can't imagine that this is going to sell at all.

A few episodes back Wombat was recommending that you donate your iMac to charity as a business tax write off. I was wondering if you ever thought about writing off your giant bags of weed as an expense when you make the trips to E3 or PAX?

#5079 milkham

milkham

Master Massaginist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

How does a guy who runs a website called cheapassgamer know a chick who writes for the new york times (Hiroko Tabuchi) and is she cool?

#5080 sgand

sgand

Aim for the flaptop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

CheapyD,

When you shop on Amazon Japan, do you use a referral link which you end up getting paid for?

Most sincere,
sgand

xoxoxo

#5081 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

What do you guys think about Microsoft announcing a new controller a day after they announced a price hike for Xbox Live? Do you think the Xbox Live price hike will have a chilling effect on other purchases?
Posted Image

#5082 PoorRichard

PoorRichard

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

I've heard the story on how CheapyD and Wombat teamed up many times, but can you tell us the story on how Shipwreck joined the group and how he started CAG Foreplay?

#5083 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Hey Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck:
This is my 1st time writing a CagBag question. I've been listening since episode 130. Thanks for doing this great show!

Recently, I'm concerned that in the Gamestop weekly ad for several weeks there have been no "used deals of the week" or coupons. These two offers made me purchase many titles from Gamestop on several occasions. What do you guys think of recent change and do you think we have seen the last of these two offers?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5084 dante_calypso

dante_calypso

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

Since Microsoft is raising the price of XBOX live service and some game companies also charging to play their games online, do you think gaming companies should add more features to online play? or maybe free DLC packs every now and then? It just seems that alot of companies now are trying to squeeze as money out of gamers now, haven't we been loyal gamers?

#5085 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

1. What is Cheapy's actual name?

Are you serious? :roll:

http://www.cheapassg...php?podcastid=1

David Abrams
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5086 mrfrostyman

mrfrostyman

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hi guys, I have listened to all your podcasts over the last several months while I worked (yours is one of many I listen to).

My question is in regards to remakes of older games.

I understand the Square-Enix owns the rights to Xenogears, and that Xenosaga has the official stance of being a game that kind of pays homage to it, but is not related to it for canon in any way shape or form.

Do you think that with those rumours of an updated FFVII (which i have never played), that Square is holding this title on the shelf until they run dry on ideas for the next FF for say 6 months?

I ask because i am currently replaying it, and wish that the graphics could be updated and a full voice cast.

Do you think there would be any real risk (in regards to net loss/net profit) to releasing this particular title on the consoles. They would not have to pay for the story rights and the character designs are completed. They would not even have to create storyboards.

The cost would be significantly less then creating a new game from scratch and can be marketed because of the previous games cult following.

A second reason why I ask this is because of the parallel that could be made with this and the remake of goldeneye(despite it being a FPS).

Do you think that remaking classic games into High calibre titles could be, and should be implemented.

Or do you think Square could outsource this project and just reap and potential rewards?

your thoughts?

#5087 sinewav

sinewav

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:59 PM

Wombat, my XBox Live question didn't make you nearly as upset as I'm sure my next question will. What are your thoughts about Lucas Arts recent round of layoffs just before the release of The Force Unleashed 2, the same thing they did before they released the first one?! This is the dick move of dick moves. I think anyone who applies for work a Lucas Arts better think twice before sending their resume.

#5088 Dr. Treye

Dr. Treye

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:58 AM

I think you guys missed the publishers' beef in the used game controversy. If you sell 50 new games and then 50 people buy those games used there were 100 sales but the publishers only get a cut on the original 50.
Posted Image

#5089 link182

link182

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

cheapy there has been a space video game that you that you might just like. it has been out for a while now it is called spore and it has a 15 hour space mode were you can allied your self with other galactic civilizations. upgrade your ship build up your empire terraform other worlds and trade goods across the galaxy. it is very deep for being just a part of the game it is for mac and pc

here is a link it's is bill packers show on gt he tells you were your monny goes when you buy your games

start at 3:00 MINS THANKS

http://www.gametrail...ch-attack/64278

#5090 MattZack

MattZack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

Hey guys,

Enjoy the show and wanted to put in my 2 cents about the anouncement of the DS price drop. I believe that it may be to try to compete to the itouch somehow as during Apple's recent event much was made of how the itouch is now the best selling portable gaming system. Kind of a long shot, but I thought I would throw it out.

On another note, being the fan that I am, I was listening to an old episode (#162) that I had not previously listened to and at 10 min and 22 sec Cheapy mentions going to E3 and almost calls Shipwreck a friend, but then says "someone" instead. Wombat immediately calls him on it and then Cheapy notes that he has met Ship twice and admits he is a friend. I just thought that I would mention this given the recent E3 podcast fiasco as I thought you guys would find this interesting or kind of funny.

Keep up the good work.
Posted Image

#5091 mr.Grinch98

mr.Grinch98

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:02 AM

Quick couple things for Wombat. First of all, wanted to pat you on your back for your strong stance on the Kinect pricing. While I am finishing my last year of college, I took a low stress job as a Toys R Us phone rep. A few weeks ago, we had a promotion that gave 40% off all video game accessories. Well, the Kinect was falling under the sale, and it was selling for $89.99 after the discount. TRU realized the error, and the following day, canceled all orders and gave them a small discount on a future order. You would have thought we took their first born child after they got the bad news. So Wombat, you are correct, the market is there for the Kinect at the under $100 level, and nobody replaced their order at the retail price.

Also another quick question for Wombat. I saw your twitter that you got a new laptop backpack. Is it more appropriate for a guy in his thirties to have that or a shoulder laptop bag?

#5092 VagrantSpace

VagrantSpace

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

Hey guys,

I have recently been informed that I have to make some compromises with my gaming time. I don't get off work until after midnight everyday and that is when I play games, it wakes my wife and daughter up and that upsets the balance of a happy home. Can you recommend me a great, inexpensive set of headphones that are preferably wireless and offer 5.1 surround sound? I do most of my gaming on the PS3 and don't play online games so chatting is not a concern of mine. Right now I am eyeballing the Turtle Beach Earforce X4's which are built for the XBOX 360 but that really only applies to chat support since they work with any audio system. Also, a friend and I are thinking about starting a video game podcast and I was wondering what brand of mic to start with for that. Thanks.

#5093 blacksanta87

blacksanta87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

Where is the clipshow?!?!
Pigtails are for face Fucking.

#5094 Cyclone115

Cyclone115

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:11 AM

Hi everyone at the CAGcast!
With all the great new games that have come out, are about to come out, and have been announced to come out I have been thinking. When will the next Elder Scrolls game come out or even be announced? The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion was the game that made me buy my xbox 360 and turned me into more than just a casual gamer. I guess I'm just wondering if you guys might be wondering the same thing or if any of you have heard anything about it, and if not, when would you expect it to be announced or do you think it will ever get announced?
Thanks for the help and keep up the good work!

#5095 Archaic

Archaic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:09 AM

Cheapy, I completely agree with your assessment of story in Rockstar games. So many of their own characters and situations blow the tone and context in those stories. Mafia 2 may not be flawless, but at least the missions and writing are consistent throughout.

I did have a question about crappy Japanese storytelling, though. As best as you're able to gauge from your time in Japan, is most of their media filled with crappy stories (by Western standards, I mean)? In other words, do their movies and TV shows frequently jump from melodramatic apocalyptic nonsense to panty shots and other Japanese tropes? Do Japanese people realize this makes it impossible to take their games seriously, or do they even get that other cultures regard this as odd (as I'm sure the Japanese find things like Gears of War laughable...)?

#5096 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

Enjoy the show and wanted to put in my 2 cents about the anouncement of the DS price drop. I believe that it may be to try to compete to the itouch somehow as during Apple's recent event much was made of how the itouch is now the best selling portable gaming system. Kind of a long shot, but I thought I would throw it out.

I'm also curious to know what you think about what Jobs said during his event. Do you agree with his claim that the iPT is the #1 portable gaming system? You guys probably know the industry pretty well and do you find anyone who agrees with this? I think that the ipod touch has its place in the portable gaming market but it is nowhere near any position where it can be considered the #1 portable gaming platform. The vast majority of games on the app store are simple puzzle games or ripoffs of online flash games, etc. They are not in the same league in terms of depth and content, playability, and overall length as the titles you find on the DS or PSP.

What do you think? Would love to know your thoughts on this, love the show been listening since long before show #100, keep up the great work!

#5097 125125

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

Hey guys great show I was finally able to catch up after being behind three cagcasts. Anyway I have two question: 1. Cheapy and Wombat what kind of game would it take for both of you to take out your Wii and start playing it again. 2. Cheapy and Shipwreck what do you believe should be the recommended buying price for Mafia II. Keep up the good work guys and hopefully the cagcast can get me through another year of school.

#5098 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:22 PM

I've been listening it seems like forever and I am not sure if either of you have had this issue.

About 2 weeks ago my 360 had the RROD, I bought a replacment console since the 360 was past it's 3 year warranty and I wanted a Slim anyways. I transfered everything from my old 360's hard drive to the slim which was easy to do and the license stuff was easy to do a 1 time per year update and it all went smooth and I was done within a few hours.

Well, sunday night I was about to play MLB 10 the show in a game in September and my system flashed on the TV when the game was starting and the Red light was blinking. I did a closer look every time the system booted and it was the Yellow light of death. I called Sony and they wanted me to send them the system and it would be a charge because it's not under warranty. It pisses me off that I spent $1k on these systems and both died. Now to continue the PS nightmare. I bought a new PS3 for $299 and went to put my old hard drive in. Well, this failed and it was said that it needed to format the hard drive. I called Sony and they said that I can't put that hard drive in the other system because the data is saved based on the console. Then he had the nerve to say that it was this way on any computer and I gave him a peace of my mind. Well, I redownloaded everything and I am gaming again.

PS3 lost time due to my PS3 dying - 157 + hours.

Little Big Planet 10 hrs
Madden 11 6 hrs
NCAA 11 15 hrs
Fallout 3 10 hrs
Lego Star Wars Complete Saga 20 hrs
MLB 10 The show 40 hrs
Burnout Paradise 10 hrs
Final Fantasy XIII 10 hrs
Dragon Age Origins 20 hrs
Transformers War for Cybertron 8 hours
ModNation Racers 8 hours

Thanks for all the deals on the threads and an excellent and entertaining show.

Wombat and Shipwreck are going down on Fantasy Football this year :-)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#5099 kryptonic

kryptonic

Man, Myth and Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

Now that we're into September, how do you guys think this years shopping season will shape up compared to years past. What games are going to be the "it" games/hardware to get this coming season?

The reason I ask is... Besides Christmas, my birthday is also in December. I tend to try to horde all of my funds into larger, more expensive items. If you guys had a good chunk of change, what would you be getting this coming holiday season?

You guys rock and thanks for getting through my work days!

#5100 DrMunkee

DrMunkee

Logical AND dreamy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

What are your opinions regarding CAGS takings deals off of cheapassgamer and reporting them to Slickdeals?

Do you prefer that we keep the deals in the cheapassgamer forums so that CAGS have more time to get in on a deal, or do you not mind as long as credit is given to cheapassgamer?

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."