CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

• Please log in to reply
6667 replies to this topic

#5101 duran603

duran603

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

My father, who just turned 60, recently picked up a PS2 and has suddenly become a gaming addict. He routinely tells me that he can't imagine better graphics than those pumped out by his PS2. He will be coming into town this weekend to visit me and I would like to wow him by introducing him to the current generation of consoles. Shipwreck, Cheapy, and Wombat - what title would you recommend as the perfect "showcase" title for this generation of consoles? I'm an owner of all the systems, and since I don't want to spend my dad's entire stay playing games, I would like to show him one title to break him in. What game do you feel is the technological pinnacle of this console generation so far? I don't care about gameplay, just technology.

#5102 jrutz

jrutz

An OG CAG since the Early Aughts

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:13 AM

Here's a question as you guys celebrate audience milestones on your podcast downloads.

Of the podcasts among the big gaming sites, where does the CAGCast fit in terms of listeners? I'm talking specifically of the podcasts from Destructoid, Kotaku, Joystiq, Giant Bomb, and obviously the CAGCast. Total listeners? Listeners per show?

Thanks!

#5103 Clarke

Clarke

The Pretender

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:56 AM

You guys seem to really be into twitter. I am annoyed by the whole state of "social networks" today but still registered 2 twitter accounts (Personal and for my site) a few weeks ago anyway. Persuade me into using them because as of now I don't see what the appeal is.

Posted Image

#5104 iPhone

iPhone

Forward thinking.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:08 AM

What do you guys think of Giant Bomb's recent decision to split the second hour of their podcast and make it available to paying members only for one week?

#5105 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

My question was basically the same as the one above me. What do you guys think about all of the outrage at Giant Bomb's membership program?

Basically what they're doing is they're releasing the Bombcast same as always, except non-paying members will only get the first half of it. They will have to wait an entire week until they can hear the second half the following Tuesday. Paid members will be unaffected as far as the podcast goes. They're also adding a revamped mobile site, HD videos and "added profile content" but most people are talking about the podcast issue. It's sad to see because it seems like they're really hurting for money. Ryan Davis tweeted in response to someone just yesterday "Trying our damndest to stay in business!". And one of their engineers, Dave Snyder, said in their live chat they've basically been going on investment money up until this point. I find it strange that they didn't try out a less jarring attempt at a revenue stream earlier on. Sounds it's basically 11th hour for them, so they're holding they're most popular piece of content (the Bombcast) hostage behind a subscription free.

Was just wondering what your thoughts were given the fact that you've discussed Giant Bomb's revenue methods in the past.

Edited by Fjordson, 09 September 2010 - 09:39 AM.

#5106 Swoxx

Swoxx

Resident Swede

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

CheapyD

You often talk about not wanting to take money from your community because you'd rather get the money from advertisers and other companies. With this in mind what's your opinion of the just implemented GiantBomb paid membership structure?
In case you don't know they're offering HD videos, full instant podcast access and some other stuff for $4,99/month or $49,99/year.

I personally paid for an annual subscription because i want to support those guys and what they do.

Wombat & Shipwreck feel free to add your opinions since you visit giantbomb a lot

#5107 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

I'm new to the CAGCast - I just started a new job and my commute went from about 10-15 mins to around an hour on some days. Twice it was about 2 hours and you guys saved my sanity - very entertaining.

Anyhow, a few casts ago Wombat and Cheapy mentioned a couple of iPhone apps that were good for their toddlers. I have a 3 year-old, and I was hoping you could recommend some Android or PSN games that would be good for him to play (no iPhone here). Personally, with the average age of gamers going up, I think this would make a nice semi-regular feature for all the parents out there.

#5108 jinjaben

jinjaben

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

more of a suggestion than a question.....can you please cover iphone/ipod/ipad games as a regular feature? there are so many games that dont get enough press and im sure you can do em justice

#5109 booger19a

booger19a

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

Cagcast 212 comment: Wombat said Gearbox taking over Duke Nukem is a bonehead move. I disagree. Think of all the free publicity they've already received about reviving Duke Nukem. If they actually release the game they'll get tons more free publicity as well. Everyone will know about Duke Nukem without Gearbox having to spend a dime!

Edited by booger19a, 10 September 2010 - 04:22 PM.

#5110 AgentHatchet

AgentHatchet

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

echoing the requests of a few others, we definitely need to hear Cheapy's take on the GiantBomb subscription fiasco. And maybe Wombat can swear at them for me too?

#5111 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

Now that CAG has developed a sense of entitlement with review copies, how will that effect the reviews

Edited by usickenme, 13 September 2010 - 09:20 PM.

#5112 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hey CheapyD,

I've been watching a lot of documentaries on the Japanese profession of harvesting Whales and dolphins (The Cove, Blood Dolphin, Whale Wars ect). And I've been wondering what sort of impact those activities have on Japanese people in their day to day (from an outsiders perspective): Do you see Whale/Dolphin meat common in most stores ect? Are Japanese sensitive to the subject of antiwhaling? And I believe your wife is in some type of law profession; does she run into any related issues?

You don't have to say which side you take on this issue, but I'm just curious about the general overview of this sort of thing.

Thanks love the show.

#5113 Thorn

Thorn

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

I also would like to know what you guys think of the giant bomb subscription BS. If CAG ever does that I will have to shoot myself.

#5114 robpe36

robpe36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hey what's up guys. I wanted to know your opinions about the MSRP threads in the video game deals forum. For example, when Kinect's MSRP was officially announced, there was a thread about it in the video game deals forum. Anytime a collector's edition for a game is announced, we usually see people posting threads about what its MSRP will be. Most recently though, there was a thread in the deals forum about the recently rumored Ico/Shadow PS3 compilation and how it's rumored to have an MSRP of $39.99. MSRP is the standard price a product costs anywhere you go and at anytime, and is therefore the opposite of a deal. Do you guys think these threads belong in the video game deals forum?

#5115 sinewav

sinewav

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

Amazon just announced a $30 game credit if you pre-order Kinect with a select Kinect-enabled game. Do you agree that this is a bad omen and a sign of bad things to come for Kinect after its release or is this nothing for MS to be worried about?

#5116 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

hey Team CAG!

Do you guys think that Best buy and Amazon jumping on the used game market is what really caused the developers to focus on how used game sales affected their sales? It just seems to be that before when it was mostly just Gamestop doing used game sales there was never a problem.
Posted Image

#5117 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

Hey Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck!

What do you guys think of Sony filing the patent on an external ps2 BC device? Do you think if this device is released to the public will it be successful or will it cause a backlash since Sony removed the feature from the retail systems?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5118 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

Shipwreck. hey I was driving thru the city of Cin a few weeks back and at a local Big Lots I got the most helpful assistance in locating a tire iron from a rather cool ginger dude not unlike yourself I'm told. I figure all you guys probably know each other right? If he wasn't you, would you be willing to pass along my thanks. I was the black dude in a blue Saab. I'm sure this came up in your periodical meetings like it came up in ours.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#5119 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hey Wombat,

http://gear.ign.com/.../1123615p1.html

you have something to do with that?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5120 Guest_eastshore4_*

Guest_eastshore4_*

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hey Wombat,

http://gear.ign.com/.../1123615p1.html

you have something to do with that?

Is there a reason why they always mention Lucasarts in the droid commercials? Do they own the rights to the word "droid" or something?

BTW, feel free to bring this question up in the podcast... also I have two questions:

1) Do you answer loaded questions?
2) If so, what's it like being such a bastard?

#5121 freakyzeeky

freakyzeeky

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:23 AM

Hey Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck,

I think we all want to know... What's up with all the random site outages we've been experiencing throughout the week? ;)

#5122 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:03 AM

When did you guys begin using the phrase "money hats" to refer to game journalists and other industry folks who have taken payola? Did you coin the term? Where did it come from?

I only ask because when I was a kid, for Christmas my grandmother used to give us various items with money stuffed inside or attached to it, and one year she gave everyone stocking caps with cash pinned to them. So whenever you guys say "money hats," part of me thinks of dear departed Grandma.

#5123 jcally

jcally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

Cheapy, I was listening to the Kevin Smith Smodcast (#135 @35 min mark, if interested) and he was talking about in Japan there being penis and vagina festivals. Apparently the kids in towns dress up as genitalia and there are shrines to them. Heard of this before, or are you on the planning committee?

19740.png

3DS: 4124-5509-6700 /  Wii U: jcally

#5124 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

For the panel:

Would you kindly discuss the current trend of downloadable XBLA/PSN games designed for multiplayer, but not having online multiplayer available (Scott Pilgrim, Shank, Lara Croft [only one set to have it patched in later], and Plants vs. Zombies.)

As someone who has no physical friends where I live, it pains me that even if I like these games, specificially Scott Pilgrim, I will not buy these games until they're heavily discounted, if ever because I cannot get the full experience. I also find it illogical that these games you have to be connected online via broadband to purchase (or at least download if you bought the code at Gamestop) but in turn cannot be played online.

I don't think the games should forsake offline co-op as that is important in this day and age as well, but to not have nor will ever have online co-op in games designed for a multiplayer experience is assinine IMO.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#5125 TimeDoctor

TimeDoctor

TimeDoctor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

Cheapy,
Any chance you'll put out some more sweet mixes?

You can still play Quake 3: Arena on modern computers, try my team's engine, ioquake3!

#5126 Matedawg11

Matedawg11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:32 AM

Im sorry that I'm bringing back this horrible convo of the 3DS back but you guys talked about it for so long in this last podcast that I'm kinda wondering that maybe I should get it...but my question is do you guys know whether the 3DS will be able to play regular ds games on it or will the whole "3D" aspect make that not possible??

Thanks guys, and by the way I love the CAGcast keep it going :D

ach.png

#5127 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

What do you guys think of Nintendo's automatic updates plan for the 3DS where the system does it without the user's permission?
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#5128 Phelmo

Phelmo

Phelmo 2 Strong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

Do any of you guys know what the street value of the last CAG cast was? I would love to know.

#5129 MIGGO

MIGGO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

Which game sells the most during October, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West or Castlevania: Lords of Shadow? Brand new IP vs the reboot of a well-known franchise -- both release on Oct. 5th, both seem to have similar amount of hype around them (that is to say none at all).

What say you, gentlemen?

#5130 Filler2001

Filler2001

Literary Mercenary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hey guys,

I recall a conversation from a previous episode in which you said that if Kinect was $150, you would no longer discuss it on your show. What's the deal? We hear 5-10 minutes of discussion about it almost weekly still, long since the price tag had been confirmed.