• Please log in to reply
6552 replies to this topic

#5611 Mayday

Mayday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

Cheapy,

I few years back Nelson Rodriguez (Minor Nelson) said that you were a millionaire. You said this was completely false but hoped one day this would come true. So, now years have passed and you seem to be so casual financially it had me wondering.. Ok, I understand it's in bad taste to say how much money you have, so my proper question will be is CAG worth over 1 million as a business?

#5612 buttle

buttle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

Hey guys,
about Nintendo.

I really feel like you don't understand why people like Nintendo. These gamers aren't like you and me, just because they don't buy game after game doesn't mean they are unhappy with their purchase.

Some numbers.
Mario Kart Wii (28.23 million).
Gran Turismo 5, PS3's top selling game (6.37 million).
Call of Duty: Black Ops, 360's top selling game (12 million).

These people were happy enough with Wii Sports to buy Mario Kart Wii,
and they also bought Wii Sports Resort (27.68 million)
Wii Fit (22.61 million)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (21.94 million)

and so on.

If the Wii U looks like fun, these people will buy it. Nintendo is not going after gamers like you. You judge them on graphics and online capability. Halo 3 sold 8 million while Wii Fit Plus sold 18 million.

Nintendo knows how to sell games, they know how to sell consoles. They are more brave, more creative, they are better at making games that more people want to play, they are better at making money.

You're Wii may be full of dust. But your 360 is in the landfill because it doesn't work anymore.

I'm not saying that the Wii U will automatically be a success, I'm just saying don't count it out for the wrong reasons. Nintendo is a different beast.

New Super Mario Bros. (26.88 million)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (3.8 million)

buttle
mario kart wii 5069-4324-7830 (jeffrie)
animal crossing: city folk 4983-8436-5006 (buttle), (tomato) town

#5613 cheesycrouton

cheesycrouton

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

Cheapy,

Do you know about this project? - http://detroitneedsrobocop.com/
They raised $67k to build a statue of Robocop in Detroit! What are the chances you will make a pilgrimage when it's completed?

#5614 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:15 AM

To argue with buttle.
The Wii U doesn't have "gimmick" the Wii did its not going to sell as well.

Now onto the questions: Do you think Nintendo will ever take risks with their franchises? Im not talking about Phillips CD-i risks, I was thinking Mario/Link/Kirby is a game with a dark mature theme. Mario with a shotgun?

Wombat, a comic question, it I wanted to start reading Batman again what writers/time period should I avoid, such as the early 80s, mid-90s, etc?

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#5615 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

Veronica Belmont, of the infamous Double Dragons CAGcast, was let go as host of PS3's Qore. How would you rate her run - a great cute host that you'll miss or "Veronica Who?"

#5616 shadowofthetoaster

shadowofthetoaster

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

How did Cheapy end up living in Japan and why/how did he start cheap ass gamer?

#5617 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:22 PM

Do you think that sony will push games like Last Guardian and Sly Cooper 4 to the next generation console?

#5618 Little-Wildman

Little-Wildman

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:57 PM

@CheapyD - Would you mind making an apartment tour, or maybe an new CAG office tour video on YouTube?

#5619 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:08 AM

cheapy, i would like to know what games u are looking foward to playing the most this year and i would like to know your thoughts on the whole battlefield 1943 controversy on the ps3. thanks!!!
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5620 Irohazaka

Irohazaka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

Given the oft rumors of the next gen consoles, mainly the next xbox, what are your hopes or expectations for the next wave of console gaming?

Steam: SnappsX

#5621 BlueRock

BlueRock

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:52 AM

Cheapy, I'd like to mention Garnett's comments on Forza 4 and add my own.

His review appears to be written early-on. He says the tuning becomes more important as the game goes on. But since every car you win is modded to the top of its class, modding really doesn't become important at all. I finished the League of Legends (level 12) two days ago and modding never really came into play at all.

Forza 4 is the best console sim game yet, but honestly I feel like they've stepped backward a bit in an effort to simplify it for PGR fans. Bringing in the barrel races was fine and the bowling pins are awful, but putting every awarded car at the top of its class means money means very little and modding isn't important at all.

Turn 10 keeps stepping backward (slowly) on the actual racing and is concentrating too much on the painting, auction house and now petting the shiny cars with Kinect.

#5622 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

Is the big search bar on the top of the page broken or what? When I use it to search the forums, nothing ever comes up. I'm stuck using the "Advanced Search" if I wanna get anywhere.

#5623 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hey Gents,

Is there really any reason to pre-order a game these days?

How many times have we seen Amazon drop a game to $40 like 2 weeks after release, and most DLC pre-order bonuses seem to end up on sale for those that didn't pre-order.

Maybe I'm missing something but seems like pre-ordering is for suckers, just sayin !

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#5624 Sashka

Sashka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

Question for Shipwreck..

I know that you are an engineer, and I'm guessing you had to go through an excruciating amount of schooling.

I'm pre-med and have started taking courses that are, well, not easy. Calculus-based physics and organic chemistry are major time consumers.

Since Wombat answered the question of how you balance your gaming and your married/social life today, I'm asking about how you balanced it back in the day, especially during your schooling years. Or did you just completely eliminate gaming from your daily routine? I find myself unable to do that..

#5625 goku31640

goku31640

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:04 AM

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I am loving Audible. I used to be a big reader, but with work and school, I just don't have time anymore. When I heard you guys mention it, I thought why not, ill throw a couple bucks your way and cancel after 14 days but I ended up falling in love with it. I commute about 45 minutes a day, not too much but each book is roughly 7 hours. It would take me about 10 days to finish one book. Then I noticed that the reader was reading very slowly and taking long pauses. I was getting very irritated, until I learned something really cool. I use an android phone, I don't know about the iPhone version, but if you press menu you can chang the reading speed. I set mine to 1.5, and it knocked a couple hours of the time off. I just thought this might be a good selling point for you. I.m on my second book now.

#5626 greendog

greendog

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

Wombat... Please please just.... just stop talking. Thank you.

#5627 Mr.Knute

Mr.Knute

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

As your kids get older, would you ever allow them to listen to the CAG cast? To have a specific age let's say 14.

#5628 Dr. Strangepork

Dr. Strangepork

Yo, check the fresh flava

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:27 AM

Hey Cheapy, Wombat, and Ship

Really enjoyed the most recent show (#259) and have been enjoying all the episode for years now. Amazing, I know.

The discussion about games journalism was one of the best you've had in a long time. The discussion you had certainly highlights the complexity of the issue.

I certainly follow game reviews but know these yahoos are only review part of the game. I'm talking specifically about online. Reviewers typically know the online features, but really can't give an honest opinion about online functionality because they aren't playing the game like we, real gamers, are.

Two quick cases in point; You guys already talked about Battlefield 3 and its borked online. This is a game scoring in the mid-80s to low 90s.

Another example, the NBA 2k series. Among the top, or the top, sports game for at least three years running . . . and three years of absolutely f-ed online play at launch. They even write articles on Kotaku about how f-ed up it is.

How can all these games with top scores pull that off when such a significant part of the experience is broken? I'm not talking 50s, 0r 60, or 70s. But 80s and 90s. F-ing unbelievable.

Lazy journalism at its height.

Agree?
Posted Image

#5629 Dani8l

Dani8l

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Hello every one at the Cagcast

ive only been listing for a couple of weeks know beause my friends over at WikiGameGuides suggested me to listin to you so i did so ill get to my question know With Minecraft comming out on the consle do you see it being a full retail game that will sold in the shop or will it be sold in the marketplace as an arcade game or indie game?

Plus with the xbox dashboard comming out soon and not every one having kinect do you think it would be a good idea that people could pick which dashboard that they could use on there xbox 360 ? ( also when is it ment to be comming out?)

Sorry about my bad spelling im from italy :)

#5630 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

Cheapy, Are you going to try the new Pizza-size burger in Japan?
http://consumerist.c...ze-whopper.html

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#5631 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Question for the gang:

This question came up after hearing the recent Bombcast and the talk of Arkham City. In it, they felt very "meh" about how the creation of Arkham City wasn't explained in story. When Jeff explained how it got pieced together when you collect the Riddler trophies, they still felt very "meh".

Yet, other games (Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Bioshock) all have similar methods of telling backstory with audio logs or journals without that feeling of "meh".

So I guess I have two questions:

1. Is this a fair complaint against Arkham City (that doesn't seem to be criticized when other games do it)?

2. Is there a correct/incorrect way to use the audiologs/journal way of telling story?

#5632 testudo

testudo

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

Question: Cheapy will you have your own back-up plan? or are you trusting Tokyo? More info: http://www.wired.co....02/backup-tokyo

keep up the comedy Womboat! you should write all your lines before hand!

AKA Cheap Ass Gamera
"I'm saving your future for a rainy day."
Listen to the best podcast in the sustainable world: RSS

#5633 digitaldisco

digitaldisco

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:55 AM

QUESTION:
Hey guys,

I know you've talked about your site being co-opted by lazy "game journalists" re-posting references to game deals you've uncovered without linking back to you, but Joystiq really takes the cake.

Cheapy what do you think about Richard Mitchell posting a "story" about your YouTube unboxing video for Uncharted 3? No link to your YouTube channel, no link to CheapAssGamer... Does this sort of stuff get your dander up, or do you brush it off as par for the course?

http://www.joystiq.c...troller-bundle/

I know you guys are cool with Joystiq's Justin McElroy, but at some level it's got to burn your biscuits!
Posted Image

#5634 Tyler Durden UK

Tyler Durden UK

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

Question, I'm a gamer of some 30 years whose wife is due to give birth to our first child in the next week or so. In anticipation of this I haven't got bf3, neither have I ordered skyrim or any of the other aaa titles out at this time. How did cheapyd and wombat find a new baby affected their gaming habit ?

I should add that my hands are also feeling the effects of 30 odd years of gaming and almost 15 years of keyboard work, I'm a developer, btw

Edited by Tyler Durden UK, 09 November 2011 - 02:29 PM.

#5635 bigreub

bigreub

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

Awesome show guys, but I'm stunned that Cheapy hasn't gotten BF3 yet! The game is great, and definitely worth the money if you liked BFBC2. Just to prove it, I give the BigReub Guarantee: If Cheapy buys the game and doesn't like it, Wombat and Shipwreck will pay Cheapy for the cost of the game. How does that sound?

#5636 Miada

Miada

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

Question :

Hey guys, love the show. I've been a fan ever since I discovered the site about a few years ago, and since then, I've been checking out deals and listening to all the CAGCast episodes from the very start. I have to say that you have inspired me to start up my own sort of movie / video game podcast with a few people. I wanted to know, what exacty does it take to do a podcast? What program(s) do you use? How do you make it available to the public (Audible.com, iTunes), and is there a fee associated with it? I'll post some more questions later. Thanks guys!

Edited by Miada, 10 November 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#5637 mbeasley82

mbeasley82

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

hey guys, with all the rumors & debate that is becoming more frequent concerning next gen consoles what do you think the game prices will be.I think a $10 increase is automatic do you guys agree?
Do you think the prices will remain the same but without the gift cards that you get now?
Also I am 29 do you think in our life time we will see a $100 standard addition games?
Thanks & love the show.

#5638 iwannadie

iwannadie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

Do you guys think we will see more Skylander type of game/action figure tech. in the future? Something like Skyrim figures you could buy to unlock in game characters. Maybe they can take it further and allow you to buy addition gear for your figure that would show up in the game. If you are struggling, instead of grinding to level up which some people hate. You could go buy a super level 19 +dark-charm sword to stick in your figures hand and bam, shows up in the game.

Imagine if Wombats kids got ahold of his ultra leveled up Skyrim action figure and it ended up in the toilet loosing all his progress.
Posted Image

#5639 GOTA

GOTA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

Now that IOS & Android gaming revenue have surpassed Nintendo and Sony portable gaming revenue are we looking at the last generation of gaming only portable devices? It's not like Nintendo or Sony are money from these platforms. When do they just give up? Looking at the revenue trends it can't be long.

“Combined, iOS and Android game revenue delivered $500 million, $800 million and $1.9 billion over 2009, 2010 and 2011, respectively,” Flurry said.
In contrast, “Nintendo and Sony posted a combined $2.2 billion, $1.6 billion and $1.4 billion for 2009, 2010 and 2011.”

http://news.yahoo.co...-064208304.html

#5640 Ultramontane

Ultramontane

Kuato Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

I know this group does not play PC MMO's, but hear me out.

Why do popular MMO's use point and click gameplay, and not immediate events? I know a mouse is a mouse, but online first person shooters allow immediate in-game action and response ( I press "fire" and it fires, regardless of what I'm doing). In light of the new Star Wars MMO game, it's the same BS - point, click, watch an animation. Why can't the combat be a "swing and miss" model or actually aim and shoot, similar to mass effect? Is it a limit of technology or is point and click really that much fun?

Don't make decisions when you're angry and don't make promises when you're happy.