• Please log in to reply
6636 replies to this topic

#6481 gamefan1686

gamefan1686

Its Go Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:25 AM

Semi game related

Lent a co-worker $20 because he needed gas money. This was in December and he has never brought it back up. Do I ask him about it, forget about it or say I left my wallet at home one day in attempt to get him to offer to even the score. I guess things are not too tight since he got a ps4 about two weeks ago.

I'm by no means hurting for money.

Leaning towards chalking it up to lesson learned in order to avoid any conflict since were co workers. What would you do?

#6482 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

Hey Wombat, Cheapy, and Shipwreck,

Ubisoft announced a new Assassin's Creed game for release in a couple of weeks to make this the second release in as many months. Even though this new game is a standalone version of the Freedom Cry DLC from ACIV Black Flag, does this not seem like they're flooding the market with AC games so quickly after Black Flag's release three or four months ago? I can understand wanting to release some cheaper games for those that are new to the franchise or those that buy the games on the cheap, but they could've easily released this stuff in the spring and/or summer to give them some breathing room and build towards the next game. I'm still working on ACIV and I'm sure plenty of others are also still playing, so it seems like they're walking a fine line of burning people out much like they did with Revelations while people were waiting on ACIII to be announced.

Does it seem like pretty much every game that has been released lately has been plagued by terrible reception from players for either being bad, broken, or featuring exploitative microtransactions? I know people on the internet love to obsess about the negative aspects of any game and that some of that stuff is deserved, but it seems like word-of-mouth about anything turns to poison in such a hyperbolic way that it's hard to really get meaningful critiques and recommendations for some of those games because people are too invested in new developments to look at the big picture. One of the few games that I've seen appreciation growing of late is Spelunky as the sales get the game into more hands and they dive deeper into what that game offers than what I recall hearing when it launched on XBLA a couple of years ago.

• SJD likes this

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#6483 Biomech

Biomech

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Do you feel like Nintendo's over-reliance on its core brands (ex: Mario games, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and Zelda) is hurting them?

I know that these games sell a ton at retail but in my case, they keep me from purchasing any Nintendo systems. I grew up on Nintendo and eventually grew tired of those games.

#6484 kupomogli

kupomogli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Two questions. 

*edit*  Short version of the two questions.

With the free to play Mario Kart you mentioned last show.  What if Nintendo cancelled selling Mario Kart 8 for retail and sold free to play.  Four plays for $1 or 25(five extra) for $5.

What do you think if Nintendo released a portable and console similar to the Turbo Grafx 16 and Turbo Express Portable.  All games sold at retail could play on both the handheld and console version of Nintendo's next system.  Developers would only need to develop for one console and it'd work on both.  Graphics might be Wii U quality or weaker, but it's clear that Nintendo doesn't push graphics anyways. 

----

You guys brought up Nintendo doing free to play, and you brought up Mario Kart.  How do you think this would work.  Instead of buying vehicle parts, the more you play the more you unlock.  The way Nintendo could limit play time though is by making it require a coin to play.  You gain one coin each hour unless you have five or more coins.  However if people don't want to wait that time limit, they can pay one dollar to get four more coins, five dollars for 20 + a bonus five coins.  All the races could be eight players and the person who wins first place doesn't waste one of their coins.  Multiplayer only and includes every Mario Kart track, including those from Mario Kart 7 and 8.

Second question is about a new Nintendo console.  We won't see one until three years probably, but with the rumors about Fusion DS and Fusion Terminal, what do you guys think if the portable and console versions could play the same games.  Nintendo has shown that they're not going to attempt to keep up with Sony and Microsoft in power and I'm pretty sure next gen they can't make the next DS as powerful as the Wii U so something slightly more powerful than the Vita with the portable version running at the current 3DS resolution and the console version running in the higher resolution.  Even though the systems run in different resolutions, they could use the same cartridge/card.  So lets say you buy a Fusion DS game, you play it on the go, you come home, you take the game out of your DS and put it in your console then you can load the game up there.  You can play online or offline on the same servers and the console can also play locally with the portable for all games.

If how I'm making it sound sounds confusion, basically like the TurboGrafx-16 and Turbo Express Portable.  Both systems use the exact same format.  With how well Nintendo portables do, this could probably work right?  It'd benefit developers because they're only developing for one console but get people who are interested in both.  Benefit Nintendo fans because they can play all the current gen Nintendo games both on portable and home consoles.  If Nintendo released one of these would you guys purchase one? 

#6485 webspinnerspect

webspinnerspect

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

Hey Guys,

I am a generation younger than the gamers I idolize, like yourselves. I idolize gen X's because unlike most "gamers" in my generation, they respect video games and the Industry. I will admit I have never finished a Nintendo Game. I have never had the opportunity to. The Xbox 360 was my first console, although I did have a genesis emulator. Having never really had the chance to enjoy a Nintendo game (aside from mario kart 64), I feel I shouldn't call myself a gamer until I have completed the Nintendo standards.

I have always wanted a Nintendo hand held, but I feared I wouldn't have the same experience as if playing on a console (resolution, controls, etc.). Hearing Wombat describe the 3DS experience equivalent to a console has changed my mind. I am asking Wombat, since he uses his regularly: If I purchase a 3DS and play Ocarina will it be as fun and enjoyable as playing it on a N64?

#6486 ArtificialEnemy

ArtificialEnemy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

With the last few episodes about Titanfall, do you think EA is actually going to have this game ready and playable at launch? I am thinking that it is going to be another rush job just like Sim City and Battlefield 4. I still jump into servers with audio issues on Battlefiled 4 (PC) and remember what EA said. That they have the entire company working on fixing Battlefield 4. Titanfall = doomed because of quality issues at launch. Of course I will buy it once i see a deal similar to Battlefield 4 59.99 - 50% off black Friday sale 2013 - Dr. pepper 10 off promo code thanks to cag's forums. You guys make my commute much more enjoyable. 

PS Shipwreck. I was fist pumping the air when i heard how busy you are these days and you said the golden word "baby". I knew it would be said. I'm at the tail end of the baby stage so i feel for you. Wait until you have two kids around. It's like quadruple the work. 

#6487 casamh

casamh

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:31 AM

Guys, 

For those of us who bought PS4s and Xbones last fall, did we get duped by marketing? I mean..all I have used mine for is playing NBA 2k14, and indie games. A next gen system isn't needed for this and I'm thinking it's not really worth the investment. Why didn't Sony and Microsoft wait until they had a steady stream of next gen titles in the pipeline before releasing these systems?

Is being the first to market really that important?

#6488 dirkthedaring83

dirkthedaring83

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

One reason why NextGen consoles are DOA.....

With the price of 4K tvs dropping to the $1000 mark this year, do these current NextGens have the longevity of the last? I mean 1080p was a major driving force on last gen. With todays PCs in the price range of $500-$1000 that can drive 4K displays, are current NextGen systems stuck in a 1080p world for the next 7-8 years while during that same time gaming PCs will improve in performance as well as drop in cost.

Thoughts?

#6489 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

How is 1080p a driving force for last gen when people like Wombat just now upgraded (or still haven't) to 1080p, they rocking 720p/i still to this day. Not to mention not very many last gen console games were true 1080p in the first place.

4k is just a desperate grasp for the TV market to stay relevant and sell over priced stuff to the techies and  try to get people to 'upgrade' because full HD TVs are so cheap now.

#6490 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

If the Cagcast somehow boomed in popularity and had millions of downloads, would you guys be able to handle the fame, or would you retreat back into normal life?

My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#6491 BlueRock

BlueRock

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

I did a Shipwreck-style stock check at my Target and it has many Xbox Ones and almost as many PS4s. This isn't too surprising considering both are in a content lull, few new games to play since launch.

Xbox One will get a boost from Titanfall soon. PS4 has inFamous coming. But is inFamous a system seller?

@Kazaganthi:

Why is it people always declare stuff they don't have as not worth having? When 5MP camera owners said 8MP wasn't unnecessary nonsense. 720p TV owners said you couldn't see 1080p anyway. I remember when people told me HDTV wouldn't even catch on. Why is 4K such a desperate move? Is it that hard to believe that people will buy TVs will have more resolutions than a decent cell phone?

#6492 MrGranger

MrGranger

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

If you just got a PS4, are there any games you'd get or would you just wait for the next wave of games?

#6493 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

I did a Shipwreck-style stock check at my Target and it has many Xbox Ones and almost as many PS4s. This isn't too surprising considering both are in a content lull, few new games to play since launch.

Xbox One will get a boost from Titanfall soon. PS4 has inFamous coming. But is inFamous a system seller?

@Kazaganthi:

Why is it people always declare stuff they don't have as not worth having? When 5MP camera owners said 8MP wasn't unnecessary nonsense. 720p TV owners said you couldn't see 1080p anyway. I remember when people told me HDTV wouldn't even catch on. Why is 4K such a desperate move? Is it that hard to believe that people will buy TVs will have more resolutions than a decent cell phone?

I have 2 full HD 1080p TVs. I was making fun of Wombat as that was his excuse for buying the XB1 instead of a PS4. I also have friends and family who still have not upgraded, so it's a thing.

#6494 Ravenduo

Ravenduo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

It's time to put new reviews on your home page.  As awesome as Saint's Row 4 was it's pretty much a disgrace at this point that you have a review for a 6 month old game as your feature review.  Somebody has to review something... PS: you guys are the best!

#6495 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Any reviews from you three guys coming soon? Been a long while since the last one(s).

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#6496 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

Will the MP campaign be good enough to truly justify the absence of Single player campaign in Titanfall.    Do you think that 15 MP maps is enough for Titanfall to be a good deal at 60 dollars? 

Posted Image

#6497 Biomech

Biomech

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

What is the status of the new CheapAssGamer front page? 

#6498 mwmike11

mwmike11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

I vaguely remember Cheapy and Wombat watching Heroes while it was still on. With news that we are getting a Heroes Reborn miniseries next year, will either of you tune in? Despite all the hate it gets, I still loved the series, and have no problem watching a miniseries following up that finale, as long as they fix many of the problems fans had with the series (weak storylines, focusing too much on one or two characters, playing stories safe and not killing off main characters, lack of a budget for effects).

#6499 Biomech

Biomech

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Maybe you guys can explain for me the logic behind the announcement of the Xbox One Titanfall Bundle that includes a "free" digital copy of Titanfall for $499.99.

Why would Microsoft spend the money to make Titanfall an exclusive to their platforms, advertise the heck out of it, then decide to give what many have said would be a "system seller" game away for free??

If it were me, I would have sold the game normally (getting as much money as I could from it), then offered this type of bundle some time down the road if sales did not significantly increase. Are Xbox One sales that bad that they feel the need to do anything to get numbers up?

#6500 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

Seen the new Robocop Cheapy? I got a free ticket for it when I purchased the original on blu-ray and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't just a pure, dumb cash grab, that they actually tried (and were mostly successful in) putting their own spin on the material.

Guardian_owl.png

#6501 BlueRock

BlueRock

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

I have 2 full HD 1080p TVs. I was making fun of Wombat as that was his excuse for buying the XB1 instead of a PS4. I also have friends and family who still have not upgraded, so it's a thing.

That's my point. You have 2 full HD 1080p TVs, and ridicule 4K, because you have 1080p and not 4K. Same as people before who had only 720p saying clearly 1080p wasn't useful.

It's classic sour grapes. Why do people do this? It's one thing to say you personally don't need 4K, but to say it's a desperate move by the industry is sour grapes. Some day 4K TVs will be as cheap as 1080p TVs and you'll buy one and it won't feel like you caved into a desperate move.

#6502 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

That's my point. You have 2 full HD 1080p TVs, and ridicule 4K, because you have 1080p and not 4K. Same as people before who had only 720p saying clearly 1080p wasn't useful.

It's classic sour grapes. Why do people do this? It's one thing to say you personally don't need 4K, but to say it's a desperate move by the industry is sour grapes. Some day 4K TVs will be as cheap as 1080p TVs and you'll buy one and it won't feel like you caved into a desperate move.

Ok I see your point.

I wasn't ragging on it as being bad, or not an upgrade. I was ragging on it as a desperate attempt to change the HD TV market (before it is ready). There just isn't that much out there that you can even watch in 4k, so what's the point to pay abnormally high prices?

http://www.techradar...4k-tv-1048954/2

When I buy a 4k TV in 7 years for $300, I won't feel the 4k move was desperate as long as TV, blurays, Netflix, etc supports it.

#6503 Icedus

Icedus

Starpointer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

That banter about R.B.I. a few episodes got me wondering: any chance you guys could recommend a baseball game for a humble CAG who's been too terrified to venture beyond Major League Baseball on the NES?  Any era's fine.

#6504 Biomech

Biomech

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

I know you guys touched on this issue somewhat in your last podcast but do you feel like Microsoft putting Stephen Elop in charge of Microsoft’s Devices and Studios department is a bad sign for the Xbox brand?  This is based on his comments that he reportedly made about selling off the brand if he were to become the next Microsoft CEO.

My goodness, I have a lot of saved up credit at Gamestop just itching to be used to purchase an Xbox One but this constant bad news cycle (except for the recent Titanfall bundle) concerning Microsoft has me wondering whether the console has a future at all or if it's even worth my money to invest in it.     

#6505 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

Cheapy, Shipwreck and Wombat,

In your discussion of the Xbox One Titanfall bundle for $500 you made some great comments about the importance of price with consoles. But I think you truly underestimated how much value an owner of a PS4 could have received  compared to the Xbox. In my case, I pre-ordered the PS4 for launch day from Amazon. I bought:

A PS4 for $400.

An extra PS4 controller for $30.  (They had a trade in promo that made the controller half-price)

Two PS4 games for $60. (They had a buy-one-get-one free promotion.)

So for less than the price of a Xbox One I got a PS4 with two games and an extra controller. That's at launch! That's not to mention the $30 Playstation Plus deal on Black Friday. There's also the four free games to download. Resogun, Contrast, Don't Starve, and Outlast.

I think some of the features of the Xbox One are neat. Using Kinect with Skype is genius. And some features are missing on the PS4 like saving your streams to Twitch. But the PS4 isn't just competitive with the Xbox One on value, it obliterates it. 

PS : Also, now that Sony has finally updated its firmware, I can use my Sony PS3 7.1 surround sound headset with my PS4. That's one less thing I need to buy. I hate to sound like a fanboy, because I played my Xbox 360 four times more than my PS3. But the PS4 has a nice simple interface, does all the basic stuff I want a console to do, and the games play great. Now, if only the controller lasted longer than one of Cheapy's toilet stories.

The 2014 E3 Theme: "Coming in 2015."

#6506 Squidtech

Squidtech

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

I'll keep my CAGbag question short.

Why doesn't Amazon (or any other retailer) sell codes for Xbox One digital games, yet? Is Microsoft just slow on getting this going, or is it simply not a part of their plan?

I'm intent on staying all-digital, but I don't know how long I can keep it up if there isn't going to be any competition in digital games pricing.

#6507 pureflux

pureflux

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

Question for Cheapy and Shipwreck,
I'm interested in playing Plague Inc Evolve being sold as early access at Stream for $15. Here is the deal, there is no review of the game and its the successor of a similar iOS game, Plague Inc, would you pay $15 for a bigger production of the same game? And, if the game is poor quality then I'm reinforcing the practice of paying for unfinished games? Do you know of game that was outstanding as an early release? ?

#6508 mwmike11

mwmike11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

Two unrelated questions this week: What do you think of the rumors that BioWare might bring the Mass Effect Trilogy to Xbox One and PS4? Would you want to see this happen, or just leave it for 360/PS3/PC?

Second, with Batman: Arkham Knight coming to Xbox One, PS4, and PC, do you think Rocksteady would consider bringing a next-gen port of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and all their DLC packs?

#6509 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Is it just me, or is there an abnormally high amount of cross-generational releases with the PS4 and Xbox One?  This always happens early in a console cycle, but I think we're seeing a lot more of it this time due to the lack of any backward compatibility.  

It's kind of annoying when it happens with a title that has lots of DLC, like Pinball FX 2.  Now I have to decide whether to continue my collection of tables on the 360, or start over on a new platform.

#6510 codenamelenny

codenamelenny

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:49 AM

After the talk of titanfall and other games being called "system sellers", it made me wonder what games could you put that label on. Iwata has been talking about the one game that will sell consoles, that game should have been super mario 3D world or Donkey Kong country tropical freeze since both are great games. I know DKC isn't a huge franchise but 3D mario games are and yet that didn't sell systems. What system exclusive franchises would you consider to be system sellers (not just nintendo franchises)?