• Please log in to reply
6661 replies to this topic

#2071 VirgiltheChicken

VirgiltheChicken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there are any more guests forthcoming for the CAGcast. I'm wondering this because I would like to see Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw make an appearance. He is the man behind the Zero Punctuation reviews found at http://www.escapistm...zeropunctuation.
These things are hilarious and I would recommend all of them. Any thoughts?

#2072 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

Cheapy and Wombat,

Last week you discussed a couple of "bad demos" (Burnout and Club). On the flip side, you have demos like Pacman Championship Edition for XBLA. I can never recall seeing THAT many naysayers do a complete a 180 on a game after playing the demo. What are some demos that got you excited for a game that you previously had no interest in? Also, what advice would you give developers to avoid the dreaded "bad demo"?

#2073 buttle

buttle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:38 AM

cheapy and wombat

for the inquiry on whether or not one could be a hardcore gamer and only own the wii. i am that gamer, though i do own the ds as well.

to me, the biggest factor is-
almost everything i'm missing out on is either a fps or an rpg. and i don't care for either of these genres. but for gamers who love these genres, a wii alone would obviously leave them unsatisfied.

#2074 Yarbo

Yarbo

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

Here's a good one, what was the FIRST video game, either of you have played?

Or, what is your earliest gaming memory.

My earliest gaming memory is the hours it took for my dad to figure out how to hook up the NES to our old TV when I was about 4 years old.

#2075 H.Cornerstone

H.Cornerstone

LaserCannonDethSentence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:43 AM

I have heard you guys say that you do not like the first Resistance, and I would just like to know why. I played it and loved it, mainly due to the story. And would just like to know what you didn't like about it.

#2076 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

On the TV ad for Advance Wars: Days of Ruin they used quotes about the game from gaming websites Kotaku and UGO. Now this is a bit on the conspiracy side but do you think that the quote and the fact that UGO put up some money for the New York event (like Wombat said) has anything to do with each other? A "if you scratch my back..." sort of deal.

Kotaku version:
http://kotaku.com/34...uest-appearance
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#2077 CAGIronMan

CAGIronMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:01 AM

Hey CheapyD, I loved your toilet video on YouTube, and was just wondering if all the toilets in Japan were like that, and if you have tried the V wash yet.

#2078 CyberTrick

CyberTrick

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

Hello Cheapy and Wombat,
Great show as always. Cheapy, I’m hoping you can look into this since you have contacts with Play Asia. It looks like they have just put up Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection for pre-order for only $35 (which I think is a steal for any CAGer). I’m very interested in purchasing this but I have 2 questions: 1) I’m assuming it will play on my US ps3 because it looks like the game is for the US/Canada systems, right? 2) I’m also assuming that if it is for the US than it will have English audio, correct? It would be great if you could contact Play-Asia about this and update us on the next podcast. I and I’m sure other CAGs would like to know about this.

ps. also if this is the US/Canada version of the game any word on it comming out here in the states?

#2079 CAGIronMan

CAGIronMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

Hey Cheapy, I loved your Japanese toilet video, and were wondering, are all the toilets in Japan like that? and also, have you tried the vajayjay was yet?

#2080 BrandonMills

BrandonMills

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:50 AM

I don't think the number of titles for the Wii is really the problem for most 'average' gamers. Gamers that work a busy work week, and only get to play games on the weekend. Even then, they can't really play games a *lot* on the weekend, as they have other obligations.

While I couldn't suggest the system as the sole gaming system for anyone who plays games a lot, I could easily suggest the system for people who gamed moderately. Wii Sports, Wii Play, Guitar Hero III, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime III, Zelda, Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes, and soon Super Smash Bros. Brawl are more than enough to keep most occational gamers busy.

I expect a surge in Wii popularity with the release of Smash Bros. Brawl. Make no mistake, this is the Wii's Halo 3 moment. Now if Nintendo could just get enough Wiis out there to meet demand...

Oh, and to be honest, I'd suggest hardcore gamers get a PC. Even though there are constant stories about dropping PC Gaming sales, I have yet to find any console FPS that matches the experience of a mouse and keyboard. Prime 3 was kind of close with it's control scheme, but no cigar. Plus, PC prices are plummeting, and the PC has far more uses than just as a gaming system.

#2081 StarWarpCrackerWave

StarWarpCrackerWave

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

Hey Cheapy & Wombat, Not sure if this was already asked and answered, but what do both of you believe is the most overrated/underrated game in video game history?

#2082 Brokeback Fetus

Brokeback Fetus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

I was wondering what games each of you are most looking forward to this year?
I love the show, keep up the excellent work
Please Check out my TradeList -http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=215233

Please Check out http://www.futuregam...hp?r=devinscool they give away an ipod every day and a macbook once a month. I would really appreciate it if you check it out and sign up with my link.

#2083 daphatty

daphatty

VTEC Bitches!

• Super Moderators

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

I walked into a Gamestop today and to my disgust, they were already taking pre-orders for Madden 09! WTF?!

What is your take on all of this? The game won't be released for another 9 months yet stores are taking pre-orders? Seems like overkill to me.

Posted Image

#2084 rayee6

rayee6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:43 AM

Hey guys.

I've joined CAG not too long ago and recently started listening to the CAG Cast (started at CAG #98) and found each episode very entertaining, funny and informative. I've never missed an episode since. And actually look forward to downloading the CAG Cast everyweek.

I was just wondering if you guys can go over your history and relationship together for the listeners like me who don't know much about you guys. i.e., Were you guys childhood friends? (because it seems like it). Where did you guys work prior to this? Did you guys work together prior to making this site? What about with the Shipwrecks? What made you start this site? What made you (Cheapy) move to Japan? And etc.

I think it would be great if you guys went over this on air so that people like me who don't know much about you guys can get a better perspective and enjoy your shows even more.

Thanks guys. Keep up the good work.

#2085 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:58 AM

Not really a question - but I wanted to bring your attention to this news I found today.

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=170025

Horrible. What can we do to fight stuff like this?

#2086 mrblinG22

mrblinG22

superbowl = massacre

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:13 AM

Hey CheapyD and/or Wombat, what is your main, mostly used setup of guns in COD4, and what level are you?

And where can I download those themes from the contest?
Posted Image

#2087 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

I haven't seen as many lately, but last week I was still seeing a lot of people with Christmas themed avatars/signatures on the merry CAG forums...

I mean, for Christmas trees there are superstitions I've heard of. One is if you don't have your tree down by New Years, you're going to have a bad year!

Just wondering if you guys find this odd too, seeing Santa's hat everywhere a month after the holiday.

Signed
-"cheaPmaN backwards!"

2ic4l5j.jpg

#2088 thadwhit

thadwhit

Cheap Shit Master

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

Reading Wombat's post on UGO about the most anticipated DS games of 2008 made me eager to get another DS. I sold my phats in anticipation of the lite, but didn't get around to getting one. At this point I feel like the next DS revision is coming so soon, that I might as well wait.
What are your thoughts on the new DS revision? Will you get it? Does the loss of GBA compatibility matter? Personnally, I could give 2 shits about backwards compatibility on any system. I don't even have enough time to play new games, let alone old games that weren't worth my time when they came out in the first place.
Peace out fellas,
Thaddeus

#2089 evangelion11

evangelion11

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

hey cheapy D and wombat, i recently decided to give the xbox originals a go. i purchased fable in anticipation of fable 2 but what i realized is not only are these originals over priced and to most people, they are useless but they have bugs-a-plenty. Most of the game is alright but there are longer load times then the original xbox versions and every once and a while the sounds goes nuts and pops really load or sounds as if a record is being scratched as well as texture problems and an overall slugish feel. when do u guys think companies like microsoft will begin to fix products before release, rather then put them out there and get ready for backlash?

#2090 Hiro_Antagonist

Hiro_Antagonist

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

Dear Cheapy and Wombat:

Sony Defense Force is a *dry satire* website. It parodies Sony fanboys, but does so by staying just barely on the side of belivability most of the time.

Then you have posts like this (http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=322) that clearly step over the line and make the satire clear.

So if you wonder why the whole episode seemed to rediculous and over the top and unbelievable, that's because it is.

Look up DNS info. Look at other info. You'll find it's strangely obfuscated. (Its DNS, for example, uses a GoDaddy Proxy.) If it was a real fanboy site, why would thy hide that stuff?

You spent a bunch of time ranting about a post which was, in fact, bait to get you to react. You've been had, son.

Cheers,

Hiro_Antagonist

#2091 bahgee

bahgee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

Cheapy D and Wombat,

I am a 36-year old married male with a full-time job. I am also an avid gamer, way back to the Telstar Arcade. I currently own an Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS and their predecessors. Herein lies the problem. So many great games, but not enough time. This will get worse once I have kids. As a result, I tend to gravitate towards games that provide a “quick videogame fix” such as fighting games, wrestling games, sports games, and racing games where you can play a few minutes and be on your merry way. But, I am missing out on all those great platform/storyline games that require a much greater time commitment. I’ve tried to play these games “casually”, but always manage to get stuck – not knowing what to do, where to go, or what to find to get to the next level. Ninja Gaiden for the original Xbox comes to mind, as I was stuck trying to beat a boss and couldn’t advance to the next level (a level select feature would have been nice). I know I can look on the internet for solutions to all my questions, but that just kills the experience for me as my PC is on the other side of the house. Another thing that hinders me is the lack of a save anywhere feature in games, so that you can pick up where you left off, even if it is in the middle of a level (Madden for the PSP has this feature, but its missing from the console versions). Developers should consider adding these features for us casual gamers (a casual gamer mode?), who are more concerned about experiencing a game rather than beating it and finding everything that there is to find. Every game should have a level select, an ad-hoc invincibility code, a hint mode (where you can ask for hints for what to do/find/kill to move to the next level), and a save anywhere feature. An un-lock everything mode would also be great for racing, fighting, sports games as well. You used to be able to enter cheat codes and/or download game save files to unlock everything, but these are getting scarcer and scarcer in light of achievement points and micro-transactions. I would buy so many more games if these features were included. What are your thoughts on this and do you have any suggestions of games that have these features or at least allow you to save at any point. I have Gears of War, Resistance Fall of Man, and COD4 and find that the levels are short enough so that I can actually play these games a half hour at a time. Thanks, and I love the CagCast and CheapAssGamer.

#2092 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:01 AM

Hey, Cheapy...a few podcasts ago you mentioned that you were working on acquiring a thumb stylus for your DS.

Did you ever track one down? I've been thinking about getting one from eBay...where did you get yours?

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler

#2093 XTommyDonX

XTommyDonX

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

I don't know whether it was both of you or just Cheapy who downloaded the Classic Rock Pack in Guitar Hero 3 but I am a little concerned about the pack advertising Jukebox Hero as a master track. Have you listened to that particular track yet? I'm positive that the track that is in Guitar hero 3 is not the original Foreigner track. Everything sounds completely different, yet Activision's advertising states that it's the master recording from 1981. It's not. Have a Listen.

Master 1981 Track:

Guitar Hero Cover:

Does this anger you, being that the same company yet again lies about their product? And this time, they knew that they were wrong from the start. Thanks for your response.

#2094 CAGIronMan

CAGIronMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

Hey CheapyD and Wombat, gratz on the servers being back up!
but to my questions

1. as a follow up to my question from last week, have you tried the vagina wash yet?
2. because of the rediculous decision by nintendo to basically short out the Wii, what do you think would be the best way to go about buying one?
3. how is Tai doin?

O yeah and take a shower, but don't have to much fun with your crab toy.

thanks
-CAGIronMan

#2095 CYRiX

CYRiX

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

Cheapy, what's the japanese school system like? Do they have preschool? Do they go to school 6 times a week?
I decided against buying some things I bidded on a lowball auction. Didn't know it'd be a big problem. Sue me.

#2096 BrandonMills

BrandonMills

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

$500 video cards?

That's the kind of line most console players would rattle off. Fortunately for PC gamers, it's far from true. You can pick up a decent PC graphics card for about $100, and a *great* PC graphics card for $200. Anything above it is really just buying a luxary item.

As for why PC gaming is failing, look no further than Microsoft and their backstabbing to see the real reason behind this entire situation. Games for Windows has failed to deliver on what it promised to, they locked DirectX 10 into an OS that nobody wants, and they've *still* not done anything about integrating game copy protection into Windows.

Why would they do that when they get fat royalities on every single game sold on the 360? The problem with PC gaming is that the current entity that controls PC gaming, which is Microsoft. Apple still doesn't seem to be interested in attracting gamers to Macs, and Linux gaming is still somewhat of a joke.

Luckily for us PC Gamers, there is Valve, and they might force Microsoft's hand when it comes to making them pay attention to PC Gaming. Note that those dismal PC Games sales didn't account for game sales over Steam, which has really picked up in the past few years. Valve continues to give PC gamers what they want, and the more gamers get locked in with Valve, the more MS loses control of that market. That PC Gaming control is important for MS's Windows monopoly, so they can't let their control over PC gaming slip too far.

Furthermore, PC gamers aren't like console gamers. They tend to stick with the same game a lot longer. For example, PC FPS games are immediately modded by the PC gaming community, and new content is put out constantly after release. The console market is locked in to whatever the publishers put out originally. As a console gamer, you'd need to consistently refresh content ( buy new games ) in order to keep it interesting.

#2097 BrandonMills

BrandonMills

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

Cheapy,

Are there anything American creations that are really popular in Japan but not in the US?

Could you name a few?

#2098 oscargrouch

oscargrouch

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

Cheapy,

Occasionally you mention games your are playing that you picked up in Japan. I was wondering if you could maybe make a weekly or bi-weekly segment on what is new in Japan and if they are playable for non-Japanese speaking (spouse having) gamers?

I was really interested in the Pocket Baseball game you mentioned for the DS a few weeks back, but can't really tell if I would be able to muddle through not reading Japanese. So I thought this might be a good segment for the show.

#2099 LittleWildman

LittleWildman

I R Drummer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, do you guys just stick to the next-gen games or do you ever go back to the previous generation or even retro games?

Also check out this picture lol, goofy Cheapy faces.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2100 tyjudd

tyjudd

Huh... Wha...?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:07 AM

Cheapy and Wombat, do you guys ever read the instruction booklets for games?

I always read the instruction booklets cover to cover before starting the game. I've always felt that it's part of the experience of the game. (I'm probably the only one, aren't I? lol)

Posted Image Posted Image